Sean Pay(A)Ton - Spends A Ton in Denver vs Sean Clappy McD in Bills Blue .

Well here we are again in another NFL off season, the combine is done some cuts have started to be made so teams can be cap compliant and some teams have done some things that just make little to no sense IMHO . Which brings me to a point that I would like to talk about to those that don't like the Bills HC & wanted a change .

I remember not to awful long ago when Sean Payton wasn't in a HC ing position & some here were yelling from the mountain tops (well not really but you know) that the Bills needed to fire our Sean (McD) & bring a different Sean (Payton) because he would be so much better of a coach & take the Bills to the promise land that the Bills & our fans seek .

Okay I'll give you the fact that Sean Payton has A - 1 Super Bowl victory & Sean Mcdermott does not (Yet) but look at what this guy has done to the 2 teams he has been the HC of . Peyton while the HC of the Saints put that team in a cap hell that they haven't been able to get out of yet . He has been gone since 2022 and i believe in part he left because he knew just how hard it was going to be to get the team out of the hole he himself had helped put them in !! 

Now fast forward to the Broncos, although the prior coaching staff were the ones that were foolish enough to give up 2 - 1st round picks, a lucrative contract only to then foolishly extended him for stupid money which someone should have saw some kind of red flag with hose actions but then Peyton will by cutting him will once again be putting a second team in cap hell for at least 2 more seasons . I believe i heard some $85 Million over the next 2 seasons .

I'm no football genius but can't understand that if Payton is this GREAT Offensive minded HC (that some here were wanting to bring to the Bills) wouldn't you find a way to utilize Wilsons talent while getting another QB possibly later in the draft to have him get to know the offense while watching Wilson ? You've got to pay the guy regardless would it be so hard for this so called great offensive mind to scheme a offense around Wilson for say at least 1 year so the hit isn't nearly as much ?

Or here's a idea the Pats have a ton of money to spend and no real QB on the roster why not at the very least talk to a team like that & see if they would entertain a trade and only have to eat say half the dead money something other than $85 Million that would be a fixable offense for a lot of other teams .

I'm here to tell you & may be the only one but i am so glad that owners don't listen to fans when it comes to these types of decisions because lets say if he can't get this team relevant after this will he even be the HC of this team by the time the bill for Wilson is paid off ? 

I know there will be those here that will rail for Sean P. over Sean M. but as far as where the teams he has been in charge of are when it comes to being financially sound on that along with where the Bills are as far as competing each year i'll keep McD all day every day .

If Payton's history given his signings & such while with the Saints gives us any insight into how it may go in Denver (which only time will tell but i hope he lets his wife balance their personal check book) because this guy can sure make some out right goofy decisions when spending future cash when it comes to spending some one else's money .

The ownership group for the Broncos had better be glad Sam left them a very profitable business because they are gonna need a bunch of money, but at least they will have one hell of a tax write off for the next 2 years !!! 

Edited by T master

Not for nothing but keeping Wilson another year wouldn't that kick the cap hit another year down the road? and as for the trade, who's trading for that contract?

Not really getting into the whole Sean vs. Sean thing, just not sure there were such easy alternatives.

Edited by Warcodered
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I thought Mickey Loomis was the GM in NO and George Paton is t he GM in Denver?   Sure  Payton had something to do with the over spending NO did but it is too early to say one way or the other what will happen in Denver.  The fact he moved on from Wilson shows he has balls, the easy thing is just stay the coarse, Wilson played better last year under Payton.  He has a vision and is pushing the team towards that vision.  I don't love Payton though and would not want him instead of McDermott but I think a lot of what is in the OP is just looking to blame Payton for lots of things that were not in his control or at least partly not in his control.

• Agree 1

He decided to tear the bandage off all at once, also, being that Russ is a shell of his former self, and isn’t gonna get you “ there” you may as well start over sooner rather than later, in two or three years it likely won’t matter at all, 

Payton was such a weird fit in Denver, IMO

Same with Harbaugh on the Chargers. Could some top QBs and HCs go the NFC at some point, please?

It creates a world where the AFC is a buzzsaw to get anywhere, while in the NFC a team with a losing record could easily be the 7th seed. 

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 1

Never wanted Payton. Not even as the McDermott hater that I am. But blaming Payton for all the moves the GM made is pretty ridiculous. Now, with that being said I give more blame to McDermott in this case because he was the first hired of our HC and GM. He recommended the GM. It has been proven that he reports directly to Pegula. He clearly has more say and weight than other imo. At least in this teams history of HCs. 

on another note, it was absolutely stupid for the broncos previous staff to even trade for Wilson in the first place. Giving up as much as they did was crazy. And giving him a new contract even more crazy. Wilson is a head case. He’s an egotistical brat that cries like a baby when he doesn’t get his way. The douche insisted he had his own office in the stadium or offices. Way to alienate yourself from the team. Acting like you’re better than everyone else. That’ll make your OLmen really want to block for you. Payton did what he had to do to cut out the cancer and get rid of it before it spread. It wasn’t his idea to bring Russ in and he was only dealing with it as he could at the time. I’m assuming things came to a head and he had no other choice but to cut the guy

With all that said I’d still rather have McDermott than Payton. But that doesn’t mean I want McDermott. Comparing the 2 are like apples to nutty buttys. Mmmm. Nutty Buddys

Edited by mrags

Was it actually Payton that spent all this money between 2 franchises that crippled them or the GM's?

NO were kicking the can down the road for years and knew that it would come back to haunt them......well, that time is now. The Broncos pre-Payton basically gave him a dud at QB in hopes he could work with him.......he couldn't and now they are stuck with no QB and an 85 mil dead hit.

I like Payton, but don't necessarily think he can miraculously transform a franchise overnight by himself. I actually don't think i could ever imagine Payton and Beane working together under the same roof, but McClappy and Beane on the other hand......

1 hour ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

McClappy lost to “Pey-A-ton” and that mess of a team at home because he can’t be bothered to count anymore either 

That was unacceptable especially from an experienced HC that has been talked up as one of the top....

Also it could be considered a blessing in disguise because if Bills won Dorsey would have stayed around longer. I'm not sure if Bills go on that winning streak with Dorsey. 

• Agree 1

• T master changed the title to Sean Pay(A)Ton - Spends A Ton in Denver vs Sean Clappy McD in Bills Blue .
3 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

I thought Mickey Loomis was the GM in NO and George Paton is t he GM in Denver?   Sure  Payton had something to do with the over spending NO did but it is too early to say one way or the other what will happen in Denver.  The fact he moved on from Wilson shows he has balls, the easy thing is just stay the coarse, Wilson played better last year under Payton.  He has a vision and is pushing the team towards that vision.  I don't love Payton though and would not want him instead of McDermott but I think a lot of what is in the OP is just looking to blame Payton for lots of things that were not in his control or at least partly not in his control.

I agree but the HC has something to say about what player the HC wants them to get on the roster don't they ? Maybe the end all be all as far as the contracts go isn't his fault for signing them but he must have had some say in it and left which may have been part of his reason of leaving .

3 hours ago, mrags said:

Never wanted Payton. Not even as the McDermott hater that I am. But blaming Payton for all the moves the GM made is pretty ridiculous. Now, with that being said I give more blame to McDermott in this case because he was the first hired of our HC and GM. He recommended the GM. It has been proven that he reports directly to Pegula. He clearly has more say and weight than other imo. At least in this teams history of HCs. 

on another note, it was absolutely stupid for the broncos previous staff to even trade for Wilson in the first place. Giving up as much as they did was crazy. And giving him a new contract even more crazy. Wilson is a head case. He’s an egotistical brat that cries like a baby when he doesn’t get his way. The douche insisted he had his own office in the stadium or offices. Way to alienate yourself from the team. Acting like you’re better than everyone else. That’ll make your OLmen really want to block for you. Payton did what he had to do to cut out the cancer and get rid of it before it spread. It wasn’t his idea to bring Russ in and he was only dealing with it as he could at the time. I’m assuming things came to a head and he had no other choice but to cut the best. 

With all that said I’d still rather have McDermott than Payton. But that doesn’t mean I want McDermott. Comparing the 2 are like apples to nutty buttys. Mmmm. Nutty Buddys

Great post about Wilson.  Agree completely.  He really could be done at this point.    

Seattle just took Denver to the woodshed on that trade.  Pete Carroll is still laughing about it.

7 minutes ago, T master said:
3 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

I agree but the HC has something to say about what player the HC wants them to get on the roster don't they ? Maybe the end all be all as far as the contracts go isn't his fault for signing them but he must have had some say in it and left which may have been part of his reason of leaving .

Yes he plays a role so we agree but the GM approves the contract financials, guarantees, years etc.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

Payton may be the most overrated coach in history.

You may be right. And again, like I said before I was never a fan of making a move for him. But we will get to see how overrated or how good he actually is pretty soon. He came into a wreck of a franchise, and with an overpaid and over the hill headcase as his QB. Not to mention 2 less 1st round picks because of it. If he can manage to pull them out of the cellar we will see how good he really is. 

• Like (+1) 1