McDermott says a Lombardi is "not a matter of if, just a matter of when"

Ray Stonada

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

The problem does not lie in what McDermott says or doesn't say.  It lies in what we expect from him.  

This is lunacy. Asking him to explain what went wrong in perhaps the biggest collapse in franchise history is too much?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

After Hill took it to the house on the last drive they played off coverage.  Screen to Hill and skinny post to Kelce took perfect advantage of the coverage.  What answer do players expect?  We are trying to bring in more athletic Dbs that can press to avoid those situations in the future? 

lol I don't think the players were confused or wanted answers about getting beat for a TD. They likely wanted answers for why we didnt squib kick with 13 seconds left, and why we played so far off Kelce, allowing him to go 20+ yards to get into field range in a matter of seconds.

• Thank you (+1) 2

4 hours ago, blitzboy54 said:

Until I hear him say out loud "13 seconds was my fault, I got tight and made a mistake" I will never believe anything that comes out of his mouth. 

21 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I would have so much respect for him if he did this.

I love when coaches are brutally honest. I truly believe it also helps the players. I was so shocked when I heard McKenzie say that the coaches didnt even give the players any answers for what went wrong in 13 seconds.

First of all, you're nuts to believe anything coming out of Li'l Dirty's mouth.

Second, what if it wasn't McD's play calls and the players simply didn't execute?  Would we "have so much respect for him" if he blamed Levi Wallace for blowing the coverage or blamed the ST coach for not communicating the call correctly on the kickoff?

He has taken as much accountability for that game as anyone ever should.  People still act as though it was a miracle even though we've seen teams get into position to kick a long FG like that before and since.

Leslie Frazier's defense folded like a lawn chair in crunch time.

McD is rightfully proud of what they've accomplished over seven years, but is obviously not satisfied.  I really don't know what the hell anyone wants him to say.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

2 hours ago, DrBob806 said:

Well, he had a wide open WR in the end zone and short-hopped him. Yeah, it's only one play, but c'mon, JA needed to make that play.

That's the difference, making plays when needed, even under duress. 

Yeh he was open cause Allen made the safety bite sucks that he can’t play offensive tackle and prevent Chris jones from bumping into his throwing lane. 
But hey that’s the life of Josh Allen get blame for what everybody else does. 

5 hours ago, Gregg said:

Unless that pressure is coming from Terry he isn't going anywhere. I do hope Beane can bring in another weapon at WR in this draft as well shore up some holes on defense. Then we should be good to go.

Oh I hear that then again Terry owns the Sabres and them being a dumpster fire literally since he owned them is the ultimate for of  job security for Sean as well. 
Still when you listen to a Mike Florio or listen to an Adam Schein about this being on Sea McDermott I think that is starting to get to him. 

Edited by 78thealltimegreat
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

3 minutes ago, Einstein said:

lol I don't think the players were confused or wanted answers about getting beat for a TD. They likely wanted answers for why we didnt squib kick with 13 seconds left, and why we played so far off Kelce, allowing him to go 20+ yards to get into field range in a matter of seconds.

The previous drive is the answer to the off coverage.  Pretty sure they motioned Hill away from Kelce.  Either way Levi Wallace wasnt pressing anyone in that situation without help over top.  The saftey on the near side still had to eye Hill to protect the deep over KC staple.  Wallace was isolated one on one vs Kelce no matter how you slice it.  Kelce won and we know the rest. 

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

Shaw…I couldn’t give a rats butt what he says to the media. 

That's funny.  I appreciate that point of view.   

But this thread is about what he said to the media, and you're talking about something else, which is whether he's the right coach.   Good thing to talk about, but that isn't what I was talking about.  I was talking about his approach to handling the media and why it makes sense, even if we don't like it.   If you don't care what he does with the media, that's okay with me.  

7 minutes ago, Einstein said:

They likely wanted answers for why we didnt squib kick with 13 seconds left, and why we played so far off Kelce, allowing him to go 20+ yards to get into field range in a matter of seconds.

WHAT Bills fan didn’t?

in the most critical of moments, he failed… TOTALLY… at imparting the ONLY piece of required info! It was a space-time situation and he either didn’t have a clue that the only thing was to burn 4 seconds or he obviously failed to ensure that was accomplished!

And then Kelce the failure!

ALL on him… never to be forgotten or forgiven.

To go on this year, to defend that impossibly foolish Hamlin fake Punt… just confirms his total inability to admit his own critical failures. If he thinks he can b.s. Bills fans after all these decades that many of us have witnessed, that’s just embarrassing… for him.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

But Augie,  I thought you didn't require a Super Bowl to be entertained?  🤔

I’d love to win a Super Bowl, which I’ve been clear about. My life will not be a failure if I never see them do it. 

And I was responding to someone who suggested their funeral was also just a matter of time. Should I have wished for that first?  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

WHAT Bills fan didn’t?

in the most critical of moments, he failed… TOTALLY… at imparting the ONLY piece of required info! It was a space-time situation and he either didn’t have a clue that the only thing was to burn 4 seconds or he obviously failed to ensure that was accomplished!

And then Kelce the failure!

ALL on him… never to be forgotten or forgiven.

To go on this year, to defend that impossibly foolish Hamlin fake Punt… just confirms his total inability to admit his own critical failures. If he thinks he can b.s. Bills fans after all these decades that many of us have witnessed, that’s just embarrassing… for him.

Oh, there are some in the "we love McD" camp no matter what he does.

Shameful........just shameful.

11 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

That's funny.  I appreciate that point of view.   

But this thread is about what he said to the media, and you're talking about something else, which is whether he's the right coach.   Good thing to talk about, but that isn't what I was talking about.  I was talking about his approach to handling the media and why it makes sense, even if we don't like it.   If you don't care what he does with the media, that's okay with me.  

How is this thread limited to what he said to the media when he specifically commented about his play calling? I expect spin from EVERY coach. Even from the last place team. Based on your take we cannot comment on the coach because what he says in an interview is strictly off limits. 

1 hour ago, Sweats said:

Shaw, we don't always see eye to eye and this statement is no different.

I understand where you're coming from here, however, to say that he has no responsibility to the fans is irresponsible. It's the fans that pay for tickets and merchandise. It's the fans who sit in the cold seats supporting their team. The fans are the franchise.....no fans, no team.

I think it's human nature for the fans who bleed and die for the team to not only want answers, but to expect them. 

I don't have a lot of fans in my workplace, nor do i have alot of fans on this board, however, if i did, i would almost feel an obligation to give answers to the people who support me if i was consistently not getting over the hump.

I think that if his job didn't require him to talk to the media, McDermott wouldn't talk to them at all.  His job, the business side of his job, requires him to talk to the press.   But his real job, the football side of his job, does not involve any obligation whatsoever to talk to the fans.  He's just trying to win football games, and talking to the media and the fans contributes essentially nothing to winning football games.  

Now, we can argue about what it is, exactly, that the business side requires be done with the media.  The owners, who ARE the business side, say this, and pretty much only this, to the head coach:  "Manage the media as necessary, and don't get us into any controversy."   That's the job.  Guys like McDermott and Belichick work hard to do that - keep the media under control without causing a stir - in a way that maximizes their time and ability to do their football jobs.   Their owners don't ask them to do more than that, because from a business point of view, nothing the head coach says in a TV interview is going to increase revenue.   That is, talk as much as you have to while you're out there, but then get out, because we only have downside when we talk to them.  The fans tune in because they like our product, not because some coach is a very interesting story teller. 

Okay, we can say, well, we're the customer, and we buy the products you advertise, and you have a duty to us to give us some honest insights into what's going on.  The simple fact is that that is not true.  It's like saying we're all customers of Amazon and therefor Jeff Bezos has a duty to tell us his business strategies.   There is no such duty. 

3 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

How is this thread limited to what he said to the media when he specifically commented about his play calling? I expect spin from EVERY coach. Even from the last place team. Based on your take we cannot comment on the coach because what he says in an interview is strictly off limits. 

I just thought it was amusing that you are an active participant in a thread about what McDermott said in the media and then you declare that you don't care what he says to the media.  

8 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I think that if his job didn't require him to talk to the media, McDermott wouldn't talk to them at all.  His job, the business side of his job, requires him to talk to the press.   But his real job, the football side of his job, does not involve any obligation whatsoever to talk to the fans.  He's just trying to win football games, and talking to the media and the fans contributes essentially nothing to winning football games.  

Now, we can argue about what it is, exactly, that the business side requires be done with the media.  The owners, who ARE the business side, say this, and pretty much only this, to the head coach:  "Manage the media as necessary, and don't get us into any controversy."   That's the job.  Guys like McDermott and Belichick work hard to do that - keep the media under control without causing a stir - in a way that maximizes their time and ability to do their football jobs.   Their owners don't ask them to do more than that, because from a business point of view, nothing the head coach says in a TV interview is going to increase revenue.   That is, talk as much as you have to while you're out there, but then get out, because we only have downside when we talk to them.  The fans tune in because they like our product, not because some coach is a very interesting story teller. 

Okay, we can say, well, we're the customer, and we buy the products you advertise, and you have a duty to us to give us some honest insights into what's going on.  The simple fact is that that is not true.  It's like saying we're all customers of Amazon and therefor Jeff Bezos has a duty to tell us his business strategies.   There is no such duty. 

I just thought it was amusing that you are an active participant in a thread about what McDermott said in the media and then you declare that you don't care what he says to the media.  

Correct! I know he’s offering his spin. I find it amusing what he chose to spin about. You on the other hand jump to his defense every single time. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Logic said:

The two things I found most interesting from the whole column:

1.) Sean McDermott has the 15th best winning percentage ALL TIME among coaches who have coached at least 7 seasons. That's pretty impressive.
2.) Tom Flores once said that an appointment to the NFL's Competition Committee is the second best individual honor a head coach can receive, behind being named to the Hall of Fame.

Yeah.  Interesting.

1.  I decided not to be impressed by the winning percentage thing.   Seeing your comment, I looked at the list.  First, looking just at the list of guys who coached seven seasons, there are about 22 coaches, and McDermott, McVay, and Shanahan are on the top of that list in winning percentage.   That's impressive. 

Of the coaches who coached 8 seasons or more (that is, everyone who's ever coached more seasons than McDermott, McVay, and Shanahan, there are 96 guys.  McDermott being 15th in winning percentage isn't quite as impressive as one would think:  It's true that getting to 15, his name is with some names like Halas, Shula, Lombardi, and Paul Brown.   However, he's also with a lot of guys who won a lot but never won championships.

2.  Yes.  I always had a sense that that committee had coaches who were respected around the league, but I'd never understood it to be as big a deal as Flores says.  

14 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Correct! I know he’s offering his spin. I find it amusing what he chose to spin about. You on the other hand jump to his defense every single time. 

Yeah, I do jump to his defense, because I like to think that I've grown to understand a lot about how he thinks and how he approaches his job.   And I think his approach has been largely right. 

I don't criticize like some people here do, because I know I don't understand the nuanced details of offensive and defensive football strategy.   I'll see things that I'll question and write about, but I don't presume to understand.   For example, I've said here often over the past couple of years that I question whether McDermott's effort to load the roster with swiss army knives really is the best approach.   In the thread about Groot, I said that he's one of those guys who is very good in all the categories, and Oliver too, but that sooner or later you just need a flatout playmaker - a Chris Jones.  

But, yeah, in general, I plead guilty.   I write about the current Bills head coach in a positive fashion.   Hell, I was on the Jauron train for a lot longer that most.  Gailey, I backed him.   Even Rex a bit.  That's what I do. 

7 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Yeah, I do jump to his defense, because I like to think that I've grown to understand a lot about how he thinks and how he approaches his job.   And I think his approach has been largely right. 

I don't criticize like some people here do, because I know I don't understand the nuanced details of offensive and defensive football strategy.   I'll see things that I'll question and write about, but I don't presume to understand.   For example, I've said here often over the past couple of years that I question whether McDermott's effort to load the roster with swiss army knives really is the best approach.   In the thread about Groot, I said that he's one of those guys who is very good in all the categories, and Oliver too, but that sooner or later you just need a flatout playmaker - a Chris Jones.  

But, yeah, in general, I plead guilty.   I write about the current Bills head coach in a positive fashion.   Hell, I was on the Jauron train for a lot longer that most.  Gailey, I backed him.   Even Rex a bit.  That's what I do. 

I agree with you on the SAK comment. Enough of the all-around guys, get us some pure studs that are just great at what they do. We still need an Alpha Male (no Oliver isn't it) on the DL. We need a vast improvement at WR. 

1 hour ago, Mat68 said:

Pretty sure they motioned Hill away from Kelce.

No one motioned.

1 hour ago, Mat68 said:

The saftey on the near side still had to eye Hill to protect the deep over KC staple.  

There wasn't enough time for this. Which is why they didn't even run it. If KC runs a deep over, games over. They barely had time to throw a quick hitter to Kelce and call a T.O.

You mentioned the previous drive with the deep slant to Hill. That took 8 seconds to get him the ball and for him to get into field goal range (it took him almost 12 seconds to get into the endzone). There was only 6 seconds left when Mahomes released the ball. You can defend this all you want, but the conclusion is always the same - we messed up.

1 hour ago, Mat68 said:

Wallace was isolated one on one vs Kelce no matter how you slice it.  Kelce won and we know the rest. 

We are not talking about playing press man (although telling Wallace to grab Kelce and hold onto him for dear life would have been a far better scenario, even with the 5 yard holding penalty).

We are simply talking about not letting KC run 18 yards downfield without a single defender touching him.

There is a reason why we have NEVER run that defense again in the closing seconds since 13 seconds.

Even if Wallace gets beat, Kelce having to fight through him for a couple seconds likely ends the game.

Edited by Einstein
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I write about the current Bills head coach in a positive fashion.   Hell, I was on the Jauron train for a lot longer that most.  Gailey, I backed him.   Even Rex a bit.  That's what I do. 

Folks, he is telling you to take his posts with a grain of salt. Do so.

• Like (+1) 2