Pit Bulls are so cuddly!!! Breed more of them.

BringBackFergy

1 hour ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Dr. Pol gets *&*& done and doesn't seem all that stressed out, Mup.  For what it's worth, I think you may be a tad too close on this one.  

LEO!~!!! Sup homes? you are looking FINE by me lol but then I do need new glasses 😎

53 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

All the issues at our local dog park over the last few years involve German Shepherds. Incredibly aggressive, uncontrollable dogs that have been bred to kill.

Our first family dog was a GS that turned out to be an untrainable, territorial sociopath that I didn't want around the kids any more.

Before it was a year old I had to drive it halfway across Pennsyltucky to an organization that rehomes Sheperds like that.

As for pits, I, ummmmm, don't have a dog in this fight........

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Augie said:

A guy on my college hoops message board is a director at a shelter in his area. He says Pit Bulls account for well over 80% of the population at the shelter. I looked at volunteering at a shelter near us, and that number seemed very conservative. They are irresponsibly bred and that’s not the dog’s fault, but that doesn’t make them safe. 

Of course the shelters are going to sell you on the virtues of the creatures they can’t get rid of. 

Irresponsible breeding does not necessarily result in dogs with bad temperaments.  It mostly results in 1) oversupply of dogs and 2) unhealthy dogs.   Furthermore, irresponsible breeders are not necessarily just the scum running puppy mills, but also the family guy down the street who decides to breed his unspayed female Lab to his neighbor's unfixed male Lab that has been suffering from hip displasia since he was 2 years old.  It can also be the breeder dreaming of winning his breed at Westminster who doesn't care that the puppies from his/her next litter will have the same dog as 3 of the 4 great-grandsires.

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I have two pitbulls and recently adopted a barn cat.  The cat and my pitbulls loved each other immediately and they are inseparable.  

My older pit sleeps with my 9 year old son.  My son's best friend across the street comes over with his pitbull to play with my pits.
I have a dog play ramp with artificial grass over the top and a dig pit for them to dig.  

I pet sit on Rover.com.  I take my pit bulls to the dog park and have for years.  They are the most gentle, sweetest dogs you will ever meet.

Most pitbull attacks are falsely identified as pitbulls.  Most people assume a mix breed dog that they can't identify the breed is a pit and most of the times it's not.

Just because it's mixed doesn't mean it's a pit.  Just like if a person is Asian, doesn't mean he's Chinese. 

So the statistics you are using are inaccurate and that is painting a negative picture.

Pitbulls are great.  People aren't.  

Boxer mixes are frequently mistaken as pit mixes.  Many of the cur dog breeds that developed as hunting/farm dogs in the Appalachian Mountains in the nineteenth century and spread primarily through the Upper South and into Louisiana and Texas like the Catahoula Leopard Dog, the Tennessee Treeing Brindle, and the Mountain Cur can easily be mistaken for pit mixes as well.   These breeds are about the size of pitbulls, have short hair, and are strong, muscular dogs usually with stocky builds.  

DNA testing is the only sure way to determine what breed mixture a dog really is because looks can be deceiving.   Veterinarians, vet techs, and shelter workers give it their best guesses, but there's no guarantees on what gets passed down through the genes. 

My friends had a leggy, short-haired boy named Isaac that was primarily white with some black spots.  He looked like some kind of Dalmation or Greyhound mix.  He turned out to be Doberman and Border Collie.  

My boy Gibbs' mom looked to be a smallish tri-colored Aussie shepherd, but as Gibby began growing he bore an increasing resemblance to a odd-colored Dingo (he's gray/black color called a blue merle) rather than to an Aussie shepherd, and he became significantly bigger and stockier than an Aussie as he matured.   It turns out he's about 40% Blue Heeler, 30% Aussie Shepherd, and 30% smattering of German Shepherd, Norwegian Elkhound,  Black Lab, and "general dog genes".   FYI -- the Dingo look in Gibbs' late puppyhood came from his Heeler ancestry as Heelers were mixed with Dingos in Australia.   Australia Shepherds originated in Callifornia and have no connection to Australia -- or Dingos.

18 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Pretty good circlejerk yall got going on in here.

I'll just say this...

Pitbulls

Rottweilers

German Shepherds

Mastiffs

Irish Wolfhounds

Boxers

Akitas

Plott Hounds

Dobermans

Rhodesian Ridgebacks

Really, any breed that can get over 60lbs.

All potentially very dangerous dogs. So ban em all if that's your solution.

All the issues at our local dog park over the last few years involve German Shepherds. Incredibly aggressive, uncontrollable dogs that have been bred to kill.

If you really care about safety, can't just stop at one breed.

Well said, sir!   :thumbsup:

• Thank you (+1) 3

29 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Airdale Terriers are fairly big but I have never come across a mean one. I would get one in a second but my wife is highly allergic to dogs and cats. I am however told that they will eat your furniture if they don't get proper exercise.

Yes, they will -- or pee all over your house, too.   It's mostly if they feel they're being ignored rather than lack of exercise.   They are non-shedders, so they may be suitable for people with allergies, but not people who aren't willing to include them in the family activities.  Male Airedales should hit 60 pounds or more, and some of the old-style ones top 80 pounds.   Today, the breed is very good tempered, but in the heyday of their popularity in the 1920s, they were infamous for being fierce guard dogs.   They were used in the 1950s and 1960s in the western US to hunt cougars and bear along with various hunting cur hounds.   In fact, today Airedales compete in hunting field trials like sporting breeds like pointers, spaniels, and retrievers.

I grew up with Airedales, which my dad used as hunting dogs with his pack of Black and Tan Coonhounds, and I had one of my own as an adult for over a decade.   He was not a hunter, however, just fifty pounds of lap dog and hiking companion.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Airdale Terriers are fairly big but I have never come across a mean one. I would get one in a second but my wife is highly allergic to dogs and cats. I am however told that they will eat your furniture if they don't get proper exercise.

I had an airedale when I was young.  They are great dogs, but really need the exercise you mentioned.  Much better suited for a farm environment than the suburban neighborhood I grew up in.  Gus was 60+ pounds.  Looked fierce but we were convinced if our house was broken into, Gus would show them where the good silver was.  We never locked our doors but that was the norm growing up in the '60's.  

Edited by LewPort71
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Irresponsible breeding does not necessarily result in dogs with bad temperaments.  It mostly results in 1) oversupply of dogs and 2) unhealthy dogs.   Furthermore, irresponsible breeders are not necessarily just the scum running puppy mills, but also the family guy down the street who decides to breed his unspayed female Lab to his neighbor's unfixed male Lab that has been suffering from hip displasia since he was 2 years old.  It can also be the breeder dreaming of winning his breed at Westminster who doesn't care that the puppies from his/her next litter will have the same dog as 3 of the 4 great-grandsires.

Absolutely correct. My 5th Golden was a dumb impulse purchase from a backyard breeder. Selling the litter was one of the last things they did before closing their restaurant and skipping out of town. I don’t think they were evil people, I just think they knew nothing about breeding and saw a way to make some money.

Our pup was sweet as could be, but she developed a thyroid problem requiring daily medication. The vet warned us she could become dangerous if her levels got too out of whack. She was also a submissive peeing dog. Sweet, but poorly bred thru no fault of hers. 

There are good and bad dogs from every breed. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Pretty good circlejerk yall got going on in here.

I'll just say this...

Pitbulls

Rottweilers

German Shepherds

Mastiffs

Irish Wolfhounds

Boxers

Akitas

Plott Hounds

Dobermans

Rhodesian Ridgebacks

Really, any breed that can get over 60lbs.

All potentially very dangerous dogs. So ban em all if that's your solution.

If you really care about safety, can't just stop at one breed.

american bullies

cane corsos

malamutes

great danes

bloodhounds

etc etc

• Like (+1) 1

i like pits as i've know a couple that have been very sweet, but they make me wildly paranoid.  i feel they sense that fear, and i think it makes them uncomfortable, which makes me uncomfortable, etc.   i appreciate the breed, but i wouldn't own one, nor would i be comfortable with one living anywhere near me.  you need a very specific owner for the breed, and if that's not present, why bother.  

my brother has a rot, and one of my best friends has dobermanns.  the dogs are great, and for whatever reason, i don't carry the same paranoia, when they're equally dangerous dogs.  

i do get why people like the breed as many are as sweet as can be, but i don't want them anywhere near me, or especially my kids.

5 minutes ago, teef said:

i like pits as i've know a couple that have been very sweet, but they make me wildly paranoid.  i feel they sense that fear, and i think it makes them uncomfortable, which makes me uncomfortable, etc.   i appreciate the breed, but i wouldn't own one, nor would i be comfortable with one living anywhere near me.  you need a very specific owner for the breed, and if that's not present, why bother.  

my brother has a rot, and one of my best friends has dobermanns.  the dogs are great, and for whatever reason, i don't carry the same paranoia, when they're equally dangerous dogs.  

i do get why people like the breed as many are as sweet as can be, but i don't want them anywhere near me, or especially my kids.

so to clear up any misconceptions

this breed of dog does not possess telepathy

nor does its jaw structure differ physiologically from other members of the species

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

so to clear up any misconceptions

this breed of dog does not possess telepathy

nor does its jaw structure differ physiologically from other members of the species

oh i understand it's my paranoia, but it's not exactly manifested from a random phobia.  it's from seeing and reading countless stories about pits harming kids, their owners, and other dogs.  if people don't want to believe that from the nature of the breed, go nuts.  hell, my homeowners insurance wouldn't even cover me if i had a pit.  i'm sure that's just generic too.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, teef said:

oh i understand it's my paranoia, but it's not exactly manifested from a random phobia.  it's from seeing and reading countless stories about pits harming kids, their owners, and other dogs.  if people don't want to believe that from the nature of the breed, go nuts.  hell, my homeowners insurance wouldn't even cover me if i had a pit.  i'm sure that's just generic too.

it's manifested by a rote misunderstanding of genetics and the fact that certain stereotypes of dogs and more specifically their owners plays well in suburbia

i encourage you to read this if you're interested in inheritance of behavioral traits in dogs

https://www.science.org/doi/epdf/10.1126/science.abk0639

if you don't they conclude breed is not a reliable predictor of individual behavior

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Mods won’t shut it down (duplicate threads about a backup QB are no-no, but this thread is fine somehow) and it’s the top topic on this sub-board, so I’ll play along among some brutally ignorant comments. 

Pitbull is not actually a breed of dog, it’s an umbrella term that covers 4-5 different breeds. Staffordshire Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, American Pit Bull Terrier to name a few. 

There are also actually 12 “bully” breeds, dogs bred to do the same type as work often stereotyped for Pitts. In the 70-80s, they became popular for blood sports but historically have been used on farms. They are not aggressive by nature, but they are highly protective animals. They are also highly loving, have been referred to as ‘nanny dogs.’ 

1 in every 20 dogs in America can classify as a pitbull mix, and it’s the #1 most abused dog in the world. At one shelter, they tested the DNA of their ‘pit bulls’ and found that they actually had less than 50% of the ‘Pitbull’ mix DNA, but they were all still incorrectly labeled as ‘Pitbulls’ (which technically, is always incorrect). Most dogs, I’d wager, are actually muts/mixes. 

I get it, the big bad Pitbull leads dog bites (72% of ALL dog attacks are males that are not neutered). When you realize that ‘Pitbull’ is a blanket term that covers 4-5 breeds, of course those numbers are high. These lists don’t compile Sheppard breeds or retrievers, just bull-terrier types. 

How about we stop using dogs for security, and get our pets spayed/neutered? You want to cut down on dog bites/attacks, that’s how you do it. 

This thread struck a nerve with me, congrats. I think I’ll go wrestle my family ‘pitbulls’ this weekend. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Mods won’t shut it down (duplicate threads about a backup QB are no-no, but this thread is fine somehow) and it’s the top topic on this sub-board, so I’ll play along among some brutally ignorant comments. 

Pitbull is not actually a breed of dog, it’s an umbrella term that covers 4-5 different breeds. Staffordshire Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, American Pit Bull Terrier to name a few. 

There are also actually 12 “bully” breeds, dogs bred to do the same type as work often stereotyped for Pitts. In the 70-80s, they became popular for blood sports but historically have been used on farms. They are not aggressive by nature, but they are highly protective animals. They are also highly loving, have been referred to as ‘nanny dogs.’ 

1 in every 20 dogs in America can classify as a pitbull mix, and it’s the #1 most abused dog in the world. At one shelter, they tested the DNA of their ‘pit bulls’ and found that they actually had less than 50% of the ‘Pitbull’ mix DNA, but they were all still incorrectly labeled as ‘Pitbulls’ (which technically, is always incorrect). Most dogs, I’d wager, are actually muts/mixes. 

I get it, the big bad Pitbull leads dog bites (72% of ALL dog attacks are males that are not neutered). When you realize that ‘Pitbull’ is a blanket term that covers 4-5 breeds, of course those numbers are high. These lists don’t compile Sheppard breeds or retrievers, just bull-terrier types. 

How about we stop using dogs for security, and get our pets spayed/neutered? You want to cut down on dog bites/attacks, that’s how you do it. 

This thread struck a nerve with me, congrats. I think I’ll go wrestle my family ‘pitbulls’ this weekend. 

You mad, bro?

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, teef said:

I get it, when I worked for a my vet, I was nearly attacked by a rotty. This 100 pound woman comes in double fisting dog chain link leashes. 85 pound Rottweiler on one, 70 pound husky on the other. The husky was anxious, which got her rotty going and they both started feeding off each other and she wouldn’t/couldn’t control either one. My back was to a wall, I was completely cornered for a split second and the dog lunged at me, sending the woman for a ride the dogs nose made contact with my hand (left a wet spot) meaning he kept his head level, like a shark. Had he turned his head like a t-Rex, he easily would have gotten my hand in his mouth. He would have done considerable damage, and given the high stress situation with the owner and housemate, I have absolutely no doubt the husky would have joined in and the rotty likely would have went at me again. 

Somehow the dog missed and I was able to spin through a door, but I tell you my face was complete white and that experience rattled me. 

I love dogs, but I trust no dog that I don’t know and I fully trust none other than the 5 that are in my immediate family. Every dog is dangerous, any stranger dog can kill you, a child, or a pet. Stranger danger doesn’t just apply to humans. 

Edited by TheyCallMeAndy

20 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

It’s weird, but while being educated  on this subject, I also feel like there is a pit bull* punching his fist into his paw, circling while I read, ready to pounce.  It’s exhilarating and terrifying all at once. 

*as measured by DNA, 51% or more actual pit bull. 

10 hours ago, QCity said:

What happened to them?

One was bit in the face, she had to have surgery and will have scars.

One was bit in the hand and has nerve damage from it. I’m leaving out details, but let’s say this situation was seconds from turning out much worse for all parties involved. 

1 minute ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

It’s weird, but while being educated  on this subject, I also feel like there is a pit bull* punching his fist into his paw, circling while I read, ready to pounce.  It’s exhilarating and terrifying all at once. 

*as measured by DNA, 51% or more actual pit bull. 

Are you eating food? It’s probably just hungry. Thankfully it isn’t a chichi, you’d be in mortal danger. 

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

it's manifested by a rote misunderstanding of genetics and the fact that certain stereotypes of dogs and more specifically their owners plays well in suburbia

i encourage you to read this if you're interested in inheritance of behavioral traits in dogs

https://www.science.org/doi/epdf/10.1126/science.abk0639

if you don't they conclude breed is not a reliable predictor of individual behavior

i absolutely agree that a large majority of it is on the owners.  the local animal shelters won't let you adopt any dog containing pit if you live in certain zip codes.  i get it, but there's a reason those dogs are marked as dangerous.  if you don't think pits are just more dangerous that other breeds, that's fine, but i guarantee that the next story that comes on the news concerning a dog attack, it will involve a pit.  i'm not letting those murderers into my home.  i might as well just adopt cougar and hope everything works out ok.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, teef said:

i absolutely agree that a large majority of it is on the owners.  the local animal shelters won't let you adopt any dog containing pit if you live in certain zip codes.  i get it, but there's a reason those dogs are marked as dangerous.  if you don't think pits are just more dangerous that other breeds, that's fine, but i guarantee that the next story that comes on the news concerning a dog attack, it will involve a pit.  i'm not letting those murderers into my home.  i might as well just adopt cougar and hope everything works out ok.

You get the right cougar, it could be much better than ok.  

Oh! Did you mean……😱

• Haha (+1) 2