2024 Value Free Agents

khlax3

Just now, MR8 said:

How do you figure he's a "much better impact"?  The guy has seen serious decline year over year over year in his yards per carry totals. Here in Buffalo he would not be a bell cow, he'd be a change of pace back but for more money than is warranted for that... 

Additionally Cook is just coming into his own, do you really want to take him off the field? He's more dynamic, more explosive, has better hands, and at this point in his career is just the better running back.  Sure between the tacklers he's not the best of the two, but overall I would rather him be on the field as many snaps as possible. Which means if you're spending our limited free agent money on a guy who's going to want to be on the field at least 50% of the time, it's a bad expenditure.

It’s all about price point on this to me 

Why pay Henry when we pay Ty Johnson like 1 million

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Bills!Win! said:

None of these free agents spark any interest from me. We’re better off making a trade 

Trades for impactful players are rare, it's more likely we sign 2nd and third tier FAs, and then use our extra draft assets to move up here and there in the draft to target guys who for our scheme and are at positions of need rather than trading for NFL players. 

I'd love to see some action, but Beane's history doesn't support that kind of action.

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

It’s all about price point on this to me 

Why pay Henry when we pay Ty Johnson like 1 million

Zeke got 1 year $3M to "prove it" in NE, and he had gone over 1,000 yards in 3 of his previous 5 seasons prior to that deal. He was healthy every game and lost his starting spot despite a huge contract.

Henry has been over 1,000 yards 4 times in 5 years with over 1500 in 3 of those 4, and 2000 in 2020.   2021 was his only sub-1000 yard year in those 5, and he had 937, but did so in just 8 games. 

Henry will want starter money, and if Zeke's deal is the baseline for a vet RB looking to hang on, Henry will get at min that, my guess is closer to $7M with $4.5-ish guaranteed.  

For the Bills this is an absurd luxury. 

Hard pass

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

30 minutes ago, MR8 said:

It's comments like this that I don't understand, yes of course we need more than one guy, but why act like advocating for this specific guy is a bad thing?

Your post is dismissive, but it's not like you saying this is the only thing they should do. I think we are all on board with the bills drafting a wide receiver in the first and or second round. Getting somebody like Born as  but it's not like you saying this is the only thing they should do. I think we are all on board with the bills drafting a wide receiver in the first and or second round. Getting somebody like Bourne as well wouldbe adding 2+ guys in this scenario.

The oversimplification by saying "we need more than 1"... Well, I guess we shouldn't discuss any why does he have a free agents because we need more than one therefore we are incapable of discussing any individual player... It's just stupid...k

I don’t understand comments like yours… it’s stupid…..and i have no clue what you’re even trying to say.  What is the point of your post, what is your problem with my post, in English this time?

This is a thread about value free agents.  I identified Bourne as a players I’d like to add. Dude says we need a guy who can stretch the field and that Bourne isn’t that guy…..  dismissing Bourne as a potential FA addition.  My rebuttal to that implies that Bourne is a potential target because we can still use another WR that isn’t a field stretcher. 

now that that’s clear- what’s the problem with my post?  That I disagree with him?  That I didn’t explain my rebuttal in-depth and write a paragraph of double talk?  🤷🏻‍♂️ please teach me how to become a better poster almighty @MR8

28 minutes ago, MR8 said:

How do you figure he's a "much better impact"?  The guy has seen serious decline year over year over year in his yards per carry totals. Here in Buffalo he would not be a bell cow, he'd be a change of pace back but for more money than is warranted for that... 

Additionally Cook is just coming into his own, do you really want to take him off the field? He's more dynamic, more explosive, has better hands, and at this point in his career is just the better running back.  Sure between the tacklers he's not the best of the two, but overall I would rather him be on the field as many snaps as possible. Which means if you're spending our limited free agent money on a guy who's going to want to be on the field at least 50% of the time, it's a bad expenditure.

17 minutes ago, MR8 said:

Zeke got 1 year $3M to "prove it" in NE, and he had gone over 1,000 yards in 3 of his previous 5 seasons prior to that deal. He was healthy every game and lost his starting spot despite a huge contract.

Henry has been over 1,000 yards 4 times in 5 years with over 1500 in 3 of those 4, and 2000 in 2020.   2021 was his only sub-1000 yard year in those 5, and he had 937, but did so in just 8 games. 

Henry will want starter money, and if Zeke's deal is the baseline for a vet RB looking to hang on, Henry will get at min that, my guess is closer to $7M with $4.5-ish guaranteed.  

For the Bills this is an absurd luxury. 

Hard pass

What impact did Harty and Hines have for the Bills?  They made 4 plays between them over the last 2 seasons.  You’d rather have Harty and Hines than Henry?  You think they’d be more impactful than Henry?  That’s crazy. Hines is a speed merchant that suffered a terrible leg injury.  Harty did next to nothing. Those two combined are set to make more than that 4.5-7M you said Henry will make.  

paying Hines and Harty close to 10M between them is a luxury…..no?  

Edited by NewEra
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I don’t understand comments like yours… it’s stupid…..and i have no clue what you’re even trying to say.  What is the point of your post, what is your problem with my post, in English this time?

This is a thread about value free agents.  I identified Bourne as a players I’d like to add. Dude says we need a guy who can stretch the field and that Bourne isn’t that guy…..  dismissing Bourne as a potential FA addition.  My rebuttal to that implies that Bourne is a potential target because we can still use another WR that isn’t a field stretcher. 

now that that’s clear- what’s the problem with my post?  That I disagree with him?  That I didn’t explain my rebuttal in-depth and write a paragraph of double talk?  🤷🏻‍♂️ please teach me how to become a better poster almighty @MR8

What impact did Harty and Hines have for the Bills?  They made 4 plays between them over the last 2 seasons.  You’d rather have Harty and Hines than Henry?  You think they’d be more impactful than Henry?  That’s crazy. Hines is a speed merchant that suffered a terrible leg injury.  Harty did next to nothing. Those two combined are set to make more than that 4.5-7M you said Henry will make.  

paying Hines and Harty close to 10M between them is a luxury…..no?  

I understand you need things to be simplified so I'll just put it this way, neither of those two guys is going to be playing here next year on those contracts. They will either be renegotiated or cut. If they are cut, and you signed Henry, you're looking at Henry's contract plus the dead cap so it's actually even more. Because I'm not sure if you're aware of this you can't just cut people for nothing. Based on your posting you seem to think there are no consequences to cutting players and signing new ones.

Renegotiating both of those guys will open up cap space, while adding minimal issues down the road, and you get two players instead of just one. If you renegotiate them to more team friendly deals, you still have the ability to go out and sign other free agents, however it is unlikely you would be able to sign Henry as, again, you'd be carrying their salaries and then also have to add his.

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

Possibility that guys make the team either lack of production or money

No chance

We are  so poor, we can’t even afford the OR

Yes, I get that. Plus, they probably would prefer signing what little dough they have on keeping Jones at DT to ease the transition from the high draft pick I hope they use on the position. Most likely, they'll draft a free safety in the mid-rounds (or a corner they can convert) and hope he can step in. The answer is certainly not on the roster now, unless they convert one of the CBs. Safety is a glaring hole, second only to the yawning chasm at WR2. 

Man, the Miller signing is like a rotting corpse draped around a drowning man. 

41 minutes ago, MR8 said:

I understand you need things to be simplified so I'll just put it this way, neither of those two guys is going to be playing here next year on those contracts. They will either be renegotiated or cut. If they are cut, and you signed Henry, you're looking at Henry's contract plus the dead cap so it's actually even more. Because I'm not sure if you're aware of this you can't just cut people for nothing. Based on your posting you seem to think there are no consequences to cutting players and signing new ones.

Renegotiating both of those guys will open up cap space, while adding minimal issues down the road, and you get two players instead of just one. If you renegotiate them to more team friendly deals, you still have the ability to go out and sign other free agents, however it is unlikely you would be able to sign Henry as, again, you'd be carrying their salaries and then also have to add his.

Ok- since you obviously know so much more than I do, how much will Harty and Hines make next year, in addition to the money we kick down the road.  

Thanks for teaching mes about this ded cap ting . I neva hurd of it before.  But since you taught me all about it, I’ve now learnt dat their combined contracts = 11.05M with a penalty of 1,875,000 in dead cap.  Over 9M in savings.  Tanks for teachn mes.  So we’ll be carrying 1.875M of their salaries….:while dumping over 9M….. math

based on what I’ve written in this thread, you have no clue anything about what I do and do not know.  You apparently have a god complex and think you can analyze others based on 3 posts.  

sooooooo….. back to the commment about Bourne………care to elaborate on your first reply to my post?   Funny how you just disregarded that one

Edited by NewEra

I'm looking at re-signing DaQuan Jones and AJ Epenesa on team friendly multi-year deals, bringing back Taylor Rapp, Cam Lewis, David Edwards, Ty Johnson and Dane Jackson on minimum deals and then cutting Harty while bringing in two guys to compete for WR4 behind Diggs, Shakir and an early draft pick. 

We need to go cheap somewhere, and I'm fine with that being at Safety with Rapp and Lewis competing for the starting Safety spot opposite Poyer. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MR8 said:

What?!?

So, he's more dynamic when he's doing his juking and shaking behind the line and falls at defenders feet cause he don't wanna get hit?

He's more explosive when he decides to actually do something and not fall at defenders feet.

He has better hands, does he?!?......seems to drop everything coming his way.

And you figure at this point of his career, that Cook is the better RB?!?......my god, man....at this point in his career, Cook and the King shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence until Cook has even come marginally close to what the King can do on the field.

Wow....give me the King all day, any day, every day.

I feel a little dumber for having read anything you've written.......thank you.

2 minutes ago, Sweats said:

What?!?

So, he's more dynamic when he's doing his juking and shaking behind the line and falls at defenders feet cause he don't wanna get hit?

He's more explosive when he decides to actually do something and not fall at defenders feet.

He has better hands, does he?!?......seems to drop everything coming his way.

And you figure at this point of his career, that Cook is the better RB?!?......my god, man....at this point in his career, Cook and the King shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence until Cook has even come marginally close to what the King can do on the field.

Wow....give me the King all day, any day, every day.

I feel a little dumber for having read anything you've written.......thank you.

James Cook had 5.6 yards per touch. Derrick Henry had 4.5. 

James Cook had 200 more yards from scrimmage on 27 less touches.

James Cook had a better catch percentage than Derrick Henry, 81% to 77%. 

James Cook had 1 less first down than Henry, 69 to 70 (again with 27 less touches).

James Cook had 10.1 yards per catch, Henry had 7.6. 

James Cook had more 20+ gains rushed than Henry, 6 to 5.

They run differently, and I think the world of Derrick Henry (despite thinking RB is relatively useless) but there are a lot of stats that demonstrate that Cook was a more productive back last season. 

I would still take Henry I think and we would have the best RB room in football.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, FireChans said:

James Cook had 1 less first down than Henry, 69 to 70 (again with 27 less touches).

They run differently, and I think the world of Derrick Henry (despite thinking RB is relatively useless) but there are a lot of stats that demonstrate that Cook was a more productive back last season. 

I would still take Henry I think and we would have the best RB room in football.

I'm not saying anything negative about Cook....i've followed him since college (followed him, as in his college career, not stalking....lol). He has the tools, the speed and the elusiveness to be something special in this league, however, with the King on the roster, it instantly gains respect from opposing D's. You stack the box to cover the King and JA throws....how D's would honestly game plan from week to week, is beyond me and automatically makes our O a threat on every play.

Cook needs time to develop further and hopefully our HC and FO puts the time in and the effort to create an honest run game every week....not just from time to time, which we've seen them do. They need to emphasize the run game and give Cook his touches.

Now, with both on the roster, it becomes a "thunder and lightning" combo.....

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

I think dude went overboard with his comments but we all know that offense, OL and QB play has a big effect on RB production.  I don’t think that those stats really tell the whole story 

On 2/16/2024 at 12:55 PM, Trust The Process said:

*VALUE FREE AGENTS ACCORDING TO MOSTLY SPOTRAC AND PFF ANNUAL AVERAGE SALARY

DEFENSE

SS Jeremy Chinn: $3M 
SS Jordan Fuller: 6M 

SS Julian Blackmon: 6M

FS Alohi Gilman: $4-$5M

FS Darnell Savage: $4.5M

FS Jordan Fuller: $6M 

DE Yetur Gross-Matos: I couldn't find a projected Average Annual Salary for Gross-Matos but should be affordable

DE Clelin Ferrell: $3M
DE Carl Lawson: $3M 

DE Marcus Davenport: 3.5M

DE: Yannick Ngakoue: $4M 

DE A.J. Epenesa: $5.6M

DE Tyquan Lewis: $6M

DE D.J. Wonnum: $6.5M

DE Jadeveon Clowney: $7.2M-$9M

DE Denico Autry: $7.25M

DE Andrew Van Ginkel: $7.5M

DE Leonard Floyd: $8.1M

DE Josh Uche: $8.3M 

DE Dorance Armstrong: $8.5M

LDT Sebastian Joseph-Day: $3.5M 

LDT Raekwon Davis: $4M

LDT Javon Kinlaw: $5.4M 

LDT Teair Tart: 4M 

RDT: Maurice Hurst: $1.5M

OFFENSE

RWR Jalen Reagor: $1M

RWR Van Jefferson: $2.3M

RWR Donovan Peoples-Jones: $2.7M

RWR Devin Duvernay: $3M

RWR: D.J. Chark: $4M (as low as 4M (A to Z Sports) and as high as $10.9M (Spotrac)

RWR Kendrick Bourne: $5M 
RWR Josh Reynolds: $5.5M-$7M 

RB Ty Johnson: $1.1M

RB Rashad Penny: $1.5M

RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire: $1.6M 

RB J.K. Dobbins: $2M 

RB Ezekiel Elliott: $2.7M (I listed Zeke just because McBeane loves to sign veteran RB's)

RB D'Onta Foreman: $3M

RB A.J. Dillon: $3.5M 

RB Antonio Gibson: $3.6M 

At Wide Receiver, I think that we can sign two players. Calvin Ridley would be a dream come true, but he will be tough to sign, so Darnell Mooney could be more realistic. Hollywood Brown would be good too.
After that add another player like DJ Chark, Donovon Peoples-Jones, or Van Jefferson.

This would help our WR group immensely.

At Safety, I'd love to get Darnell Savage, but would be fine with Jeremy Chin.

As for Running Back, just re-sign Ty Johnson.

https://theathletic.com/5280918/2024/02/19/free-agency-rankings-nfl-best-available/

The link is to the Athletic's top 150 NFL FAs.

22 Floyd

25 D. Jones

45 Davis

85 AJ Epenesa

137 Rapp

No. 114 on their list is NE Edge rusher Josh Uche - He is 25 and sacks dipped last year to only 3.5.  The Bills should have plenty of film on him.  No way he gets the 8.5 per season Spotrac projects.  From the Athletic - "Now he's likely headed toward a one-year prove-it deal."  Sounds like a perfect Bills' signee.  Given his age, if he works well in Buffalo he could be a long-term find as well.

Some safeties that stood out as possible buy-low candidates are Indy's Julian Blackmon, GB's Darnell Savage, Tashaun Gipson Sr (although he is older), and Jermy Chinn.  There are a ton of S FAs.  Someone good is going to fall to the cracks and not get the contract they want.  

DT - I'm curious to see what the market is for former Bill, 2023 Jet, Quinton Jefferson.  Also interested in Javon Kinlaw.  He finally came into his own last season and could be a McGovern level signing as a guy young enough to be here for a few years and good enough to solidly fill a current need.  

7 minutes ago, GASabresIUFan said:

https://theathletic.com/5280918/2024/02/19/free-agency-rankings-nfl-best-available/

The link is to the Athletic's top 150 NFL FAs.

22 Floyd

25 D. Jones

45 Davis

85 AJ Epenesa

137 Rapp

No. 114 on their list is NE Edge rusher Josh Uche - He is 25 and sacks dipped last year to only 3.5.  The Bills should have plenty of film on him.  No way he gets the 8.5 per season Spotrac projects.  From the Athletic - "Now he's likely headed toward a one-year prove-it deal."  Sounds like a perfect Bills' signee.  Given his age, if he works well in Buffalo he could be a long-term find as well.

Some safeties that stood out as possible buy-low candidates are Indy's Julian Blackmon, GB's Darnell Savage, Tashaun Gipson Sr (although he is older), and Jermy Chinn.  There are a ton of S FAs.  Someone good is going to fall to the cracks and not get the contract they want.  

DT - I'm curious to see what the market is for former Bill, 2023 Jet, Quinton Jefferson.  Also interested in Javon Kinlaw.  He finally came into his own last season and could be a McGovern level signing as a guy young enough to be here for a few years and good enough to solidly fill a current need.  

Uche is nasty. Would gladly take him. I’ll take DT Lawrence Guy too. They just released him. Immediate upgrade from what Settle and Ford brought at the very least.

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.