Bills windows with Josh

JAX

We should have a few 3-5 year windows with Josh.  Window 1 is likely done with several key players finished or close to finished.  Thanks to them for a great run. If i am the Bills I consider a fairly hard reset even if a  less competitive for a year or two.  Why?  The only satisfying outcome at this point is a Super Bowl win and many teams are on the rise. We need to take a bit of medicine and get younger, cheaper and more explosive. 

I think Beane has done a great job and rolled the dice with Von and others and we had our chances with great rosters but 13 seconds and injuries left us short (not to mention the Chiefs).   We now have the challenge of re-tooling for window 2.  The O line is solid if we can keep Brown but we need 2 WRs (I do not  think Diggs is part of the next window).  Knox is a nice player but too expensive (maybe re-contract or trade).  We need to build around Josh strengths and not ask him to be something he is not. The D needs a rebuild with the exception of LB and maybe corner for at least a couple of years.  We do need a good D, a great passing game is not enough.

I think the Bills and many of the fans probably see the situation in a similar way.  I am interested to watch how aggressive  they are or do they make necessary incremental moves trying to go year to year hoping Josh can pull them over the hump with super star play.  I am over the loss and excited for the off-season although the cap problem is a drag.  My expectations as a fan with Josh are high so it is hard for them to meet them.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Wish I shared your enthusiasm. We are in salary cap hell and there needs to be several moves made before this team can get over the hump and compete. This will be an interesting off-season. Hopefully Josh prepared better mentally for the upcoming season. Maybe he’ll be tired of watching Mahomes get rings and figure he wants one for himself. It won’t be long before the “He Can’t win one” label will start flying around.

Edited by 26TrapDraw
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 3
  • Dislike 3

3 minutes ago, 26TrapDraw said:

Wish I shared your enthusiasm. We are in salary csp hell and there needs to be several moves made before this team can get over the hump and compete. This will be an interesting off-season. Hopefully Josh prepared better mentally for the upcoming season. Maybe he’ll be tired of watching Mahomes get rings and figure he wants one for himself. It won’t be long before the “He Can’t win one” label will start flying around.

With their cap situation I doubt the Bills are major players in FA. Beane needs to have a great draft this year. We can say that every year, but they do need to get younger on defense and if they are going to improve for 2024 it will be from the draft picks since being active in FA will be tough to do.

1 minute ago, Gregg said:

With their cap situation I doubt the Bills are major players in FA. Beane needs to have a great draft this year. We can say that every year, but they do need to get younger on defense and if they are going to improve for 2024 it will be from the draft picks since being active in FA will be tough to do.

When were we major players in fa before? Miller? Wasn't he signed later in the fa period?

Just now, boyst said:

When were we major players in fa before? Miller? Wasn't he signed later in the fa period?

I think he was, but I honestly don't remember when in FA he was signed. I know it wasn't within the first couple of days of FA.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Really hate the doom and gloom window is closed BS.  Is there a Bills FA you would cry over losing in free agency? Maybe D. Jones. Who else?  How successful have the Bills been in signing impact FA’s?  After 2024 we can dump Diggs and Miller if that is the right play.  Chiefs are under the cap but Chris Jones, Sneed and Gay are FA’s either they sign these guys and there goes their cap or they try to win a SB without one or all of them.  Personally, I believe no Chris Jones, no SB for the Chiefs.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I thought that this was a new Microsoft product for Bills fans.  

Stop teasing.  

25 minutes ago, 26TrapDraw said:

Wish I shared your enthusiasm. We are in salary csp hell and there needs to be several moves made before this team can get over the hump and compete. This will be an interesting off-season. Hopefully Josh prepared better mentally for the upcoming season. Maybe he’ll be tired of watching Mahomes get rings and figure he wants one for himself. It won’t be long before the “He Can’t win one” label will start flying around.

There's also a major mismatch between the core strength of this team and it's strategic philosophy.  

It's difficult to see that being overcome.  

4 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

I’m sick of hearing about these media driven “windows”.  As long as Josh is playing we have a chance to win it all.  

I would say with Allen the Bills are a good bet to make the playoffs and get to the divisional round. But once they are one of the 8 teams left playing its becoming more obvious that team around Allen needs to be better. The defense disappoints and to many star players are no-shows in these moments. 

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

There are no windows.  There just are seasons.  Every season is an opportunity to win the Super Bowl when you have a great QB.  

Before we talk any more about windows, I invite someone to analyze the seasons when Tom Brady was the QB for the Patriots and explain when their first window opened and closed, their second window opened and closed, etc.  Belichick went 5-11 in his first season there; after that, he didn't have a losing season with Brady, and he had only one season when he didn't have double-digit wins.   Their window was always open. 

How about the Chiefs?   They've had plenty of roster turnover.  When was the window closed?    

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, st pete gogolak said:

Really hate the doom and gloom window is closed BS. 

Yeah, it's the doom and gloom that drives this kind of talk.  

People need to remember the doom and gloom around here six months ago, as preseason was ending.  Remember the crisis the Bills had a middle linebacker.  There was no one to play the position, Beane hadn't drafted anyone, and he also was doing nothing in the free agent market.  The bottom line was that this board didn't know what it was talking about, collectively.  

So, now it's the "window," because there is some roster change coming.  I can 100% guarantee you that McDermott and Beane are not sitting around One Bills Drive talking about the closing of the last window and how long it's going to take to open the next window, just like they weren't sitting around talking about who's going to play middle linebacker.  They're working on building the 2024 roster just like a year ago when they were working on the 2023 roster.  

At this time last season, the Bills didn't have McGovern, Torrence, Harty, Kincaid, Douglas, Rapp, or Floyd.  No one was saying the Bills "window" was closed.  

Every team's roster changes, every season.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, boyst said:

Nah Miller was signed day 1 of FA. It just didn't break as news during the two day legal tampering period. The news broke on actual day 1 of FA. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Nah Miller was signed day 1 of FA. It just didn't break as news during the two day legal tampering period. The news broke on actual day 1 of FA. 

remember the days before legal tampering? that was riveting.

at 4pm it would just be mass headlines of all these players signing out of the blue.

There is no reason to believe we only have a 3-5 year window with Josh. I see no reason why Josh can not continue to play at a high enough level till he's 40 years old barring major injury(s). He's proven to be durable, as well as a damn QB who continues to break records.

Edited by ddaryl

1 hour ago, JAX said:

We should have a few 3-5 year windows with Josh.  Window 1 is likely done with several key players finished or close to finished.  Thanks to them for a great run. If i am the Bills I consider a fairly hard reset even if a  less competitive for a year or two.  Why?  The only satisfying outcome at this point is a Super Bowl win and many teams are on the rise. We need to take a bit of medicine and get younger, cheaper and more explosive. 

I think Beane has done a great job and rolled the dice with Von and others and we had our chances with great rosters but 13 seconds and injuries left us short (not to mention the Chiefs).   We now have the challenge of re-tooling for window 2.  The O line is solid if we can keep Brown but we need 2 WRs (I do not  think Diggs is part of the next window).  Knox is a nice player but too expensive (maybe re-contract or trade).  We need to build around Josh strengths and not ask him to be something he is not. The D needs a rebuild with the exception of LB and maybe corner for at least a couple of years.  We do need a good D, a great passing game is not enough.

I think the Bills and many of the fans probably see the situation in a similar way.  I am interested to watch how aggressive  they are or do they make necessary incremental moves trying to go year to year hoping Josh can pull them over the hump with super star play.  I am over the loss and excited for the off-season although the cap problem is a drag.  My expectations as a fan with Josh are high so it is hard for them to meet them.

I am not bashing you in any way, but I am sick of this "window" Bull ****. There is no window.  he could go down this offseason or this year and be done for good, or play 12 more years.  As long as Josh allen is 70% of what he is now, we always have a shot.  And it depends on the cast around him, I am not worried about Josh at all.

5 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

There is no reason to believe we only have a 3-5 year window with Josh. I see no reason why Josh can npot continue to play at a high enough level till he's 40 years old barring major injury(s)

He will probably become more of a pocket passer in this case. I can't see him being an effective runner as he gets older. He will lose a step just like Elway did. Different era but Elway was a smaller version of Josh. Gun for an arm. could run and scramble although back then designed runs for QB's weren't a thing like they are today. John towards the end of his career was just a pocket passer and let TD doing all of the running.

Edited by Gregg