Bills spent the second most in the nfl on defense

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think when you are paying a QB you can also pay five studs up front.

You and I have discussed this quite a bit in the past, I'm not sure one needs five studs, if take 5 above-average OL-men all together for a bunch of seasons.  In fact that's the approach that is take, always, for four the very reason you cited.  

Chemistry is more important than an 8 or 9 level player over a 6-7 level OL-man.  The obvious exception is at LT.  

i.e.  if rather have five starters, and maybe even a backup or two, that are 6/7s (on a 10 scale) than two OL-men at 8 and the others at 4-5.  

But I always find myself asking how's other teams do it.  That's the role of the GM.  

But there are almost always some very good deals available for 6/7 OL-men.  McGovern was one.  

Edited by PBF81

8 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I don’t take this as a fire, McDermott thread I do think the post has some merit

We spend all that money on the defense and then whenever we get into the playoffs, it doesn’t matter

Start allocating resources to the offense

I'm coming out of hibernation to say this: I agree John.  Have to learn that it's having the capability of out-scoring teams is a card Buffalo needs to play.  Can't always expect even a fully healthy defense (which is unlikely late in the season) to stop an elite offense.  And KC wasn't even that elite this year.  

4 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

To be fair, if they were healthy, they were a top-3 unit, even without Von being healthy. We saw a glimpse of that in the first Miami game, before Tre went down.

So the spend did produce the results. 

Time to wake up and smell the coffee: what you do in the regular season, especially early, doesn't mean a whole lot.  Cause every year I see the same repeated nonsense: they were hurt by the injury bug on defense.  Maybe it's time to find out why key players are getting hurt and no, it's not always bad luck.  Besides, that DL was healthy in the KC game and did very little to help the back 7 against Mahomes.    

McD's defensive scheme demands a lot of talent and experience.  That means higher picks, higher UFA contracts, and more of both.  The question this thread raises is...is the investment worth it in W's and L's, like the playoff kind?  Does a defensive scheme that needs lighter coverage type LB's have a propensity for more injuries?  Is paying guys over age 30 with injury histories a solid investment?  

It's time for McD to get more out of that defense with less investment so the money can go toward building an offense that doesn't require Josh to hoof it 10x/game late in the season. 

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

This is true. Brandon Beane came from Carolina where during his tenure in their front office they didn't value wide receiver in the draft and spent among the lowest capital in the league over a ten year period on it (one 1st, one 2nd and two 3rds in 10 drafts). 

When Beane was hired as our general manager I did a breakdown of how the Panthers had drafted and what they have prioritised in free agency during his time there. What I concluded was they were one of the teams that still valued running back higher than the league average trend and they prioritised resources in their defensive front 7. The positions they general under invested early picks in (certainly in relation to the league) were wide receiver and corner. I think those trends have absolutely carried over to here. I know they drafted Elam in the first but he is the only corner Beane has picked in the first three rounds throughout his six drafts which is way below the league average. But in both places defensive line has been the priority over and over again. 

Dave Gettleman being the dinosaur GM he was, I hope, did not teach Beane anything beyond what not to do...in Carolina or with the Giants.  

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Found this interesting:

We run a very similar defense to the Seattle scheme. Turns out it might just not work against great QBs. The end of the Super Bowl for the 49ers defense looked VERY familiar.

I remember it embarrassing the record setting Broncos in the Super Bowl. 

I also remember it effectively shutting KC down in the first half until Greenlaw got hurt.

my take is just like every other great defensive scheme, it only works if you have the horses. If you have 4 stars, it’s an elite defense. And even still, with offensive holding disappearing in the playoffs, it’s probably not enough to shut down the elite QB’s for long.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

And we spent the 5th most on offense 🤫

It’s an accounting myth, or something like that……. 😋

It does make me wonder what this looks like year over year. Doesn’t Josh kick in to about $47 Mil next year? Did we structure defensive contracts around Josh’s contract. It’s got to be a crazy balancing act with so many contracts to juggle. 

Edited by Augie

41 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I remember it embarrassing the record setting Broncos in the Super Bowl. 

I also remember it effectively shutting KC down in the first half until Greenlaw got hurt.

my take is just like every other great defensive scheme, it only works if you have the horses. If you have 4 stars, it’s an elite defense. And even still, with offensive holding disappearing in the playoffs, it’s probably not enough to shut down the elite QB’s for long.

And all four of those 10 point comebacks are against either Tom Brady or Patrick Mahomes. They will end up the two greatest to ever do it by the time Pat retires. 

Not sure it proves any point whatsoever.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Found this interesting:

We run a very similar defense to the Seattle scheme. Turns out it might just not work against great QBs. The end of the Super Bowl for the 49ers defense looked VERY familiar.

We are going to spend all summer analyzing an overtime game between two great teams, looking for absolute reasons that one team won and absolute reasons that the other team lost. Really, it was a punt bouncing off of a heal and a missed PAT. But that doesn't make analysts sound savvy, so into the analytics we dive.  

At least that monetary investment means the defense doesn't get stomped every single time they play a good QB in the playoffs to the point where it feels like the game is lost if the Bills have to punt a few times in a half.

Oh wait

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

People think this is easy obviously, getting to and winning a superbowl.

You know what’s really hard?

Winning a game when you are down by three and only have 13 seconds to get into field goal range from the 20.

What was our defensive ranking that year?    Go ahead, you can say it….. we all know.

Winners find a way to win. 
  Josh IS a winner.

McD is not😉

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

You know what’s really hard?

Winning a game when you are down by three and only have 13 seconds to get into field goal range from the 20.

What was our defensive ranking that year?    Go ahead, you can say it….. we all know.

Winners find a way to win. 
  Josh IS a winner.

McD is not😉

Josh is a player. How about blaming players on defense that disappear in the playoffs, especially vs KC. Ed Oliver, Matt Milano, Poyer, Hyde, Edmunds…

33 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Josh is a player. How about blaming players on defense that disappear in the playoffs, especially vs KC. Ed Oliver, Matt Milano, Poyer, Hyde, Edmunds…

A team takes on the personality of its leader.

McD coaches scared and tight in the biggest situations. His defense and the players reflect this. The playoff stats/rankings reflect this.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

A team takes on the personality of its leader.

McD coaches scared and tight in the biggest situations. His defense and the players reflect this. The playoff stats/rankings reflect this.

I don’t know about that one. Go back and watch Tyreek Hill’s TD right before 13 seconds and tell me that’s coaching. 13 seconds was coaching but if you watch the play I mentioned you wouldn’t wonder why they coached 13 seconds the way they did. 

7 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I don’t know about that one. Go back and watch Tyreek Hill’s TD right before 13 seconds and tell me that’s coaching. 13 seconds was coaching but if you watch the play I mentioned you wouldn’t wonder why they coached 13 seconds the way they did. 

I watched the same stupidity and commented on it in the regular season game this year.

They gave him a free release on third and long, with everyone playing press except his coverage guy. The DB played off, past the line to gain. Hill got there, Tua hit him perfectly and Hill dropped the ball. LUCK. 
   I believe in going down swinging. You beat Hill by hitting him and challenging him at the line while having someone over the top. You don’t let him get up to speed unimpeded. 
   I’ve had enough “ Prevent D “ to last a few lifetimes 

• Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Buffalo Boy said:

I watched the same stupidity and commented on it in the regular season game this year.

They gave him a free release on third and long, with everyone playing press except his coverage guy. The DB played off, past the line to gain. Hill got there, Tua hit him perfectly and Hill dropped the ball. LUCK. 
   I believe in going down swinging. You beat Hill by hitting him and challenging him at the line while having someone over the top. You don’t let him get up to speed unimpeded. 

Then stick to Madden. 

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Then stick to Madden. 

I don’t play video games Bill😉 

I waste my time watching the Bills get out coached and outplayed repeatedly. I think I may have finally nicked that frivolity also.

You are going to write tremendous amounts of opinion over the next 360. Let me save you the trouble. The Bills aren’t making the Superbowl next year. And not because of the QB.

Book it, it’s a dead lock to win. 

• Eyeroll 1

39 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

No. On the TD to Hill right before 13 seconds they were all in press coverage. Levi Wallace was playing inside and still got beat inside. The 2 all pro safeties took poor angles. Matt Milano had his back to Hill running 30 yards downfield with a 4th string TE, didn’t know what was going on behind him. 

It was a man vs man defense with safety help on Hill and they gave up a 60 yard TD.

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

No. On the TD to Hill right before 13 seconds they were all in press coverage. Levi Wallace was playing inside and still got beat inside. The 2 all pro safeties took poor angles. Matt Milano had his back to Hill running 30 yards downfield with a 4th string TE, didn’t know what was going on behind him. 

It was a man vs man defense with safety help on Hill and they gave up a 60 yard TD.

We are talking about different games

But, on the 13 seconds play they were NOT in press. Had they been , we might have a Lombardi😉

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.