The Super Bowl showed the importance of all phases firing, and big game coaching

Cray51

The Chiefs and 49ers showed incredible execution at all phases of football.  Both defenses were stout, both special teams groups made big plays, both offenses had moments (when the coach called the right plays...).  With a game that close, I try to understand 1) why was it so close, and 2) What caused one team to lose and the other to win.  For point #1, the execution by both teams was incredible strong on the field.  I didn't see a lot of missed tackles, I didn't see forced throws by either QB.  I saw guys taking calculated risks, but letting their system work for them.  This was highlighted very well by Nick Bosa not giving up scramble lanes when he had the opportunity to disrupt the pocket, because his ROLE was to force Mahomes to only scramble on his back foot, with quick pursuit by the DE.  We also saw Mahomes consistently willing to throw the ball away in the first half, knowing the game was not out of reach and a punt could be ok in that singular moment.  Neither side was perfect on every play, but both sides showed a willingness to not force things... at least in the first half.

On point #2, I believe we saw a lack of adherence to a team's strengths by Shanahan.  For all of us Bills fans who constantly criticize McD's coaching decisions, we would be furious as 49ers fans if we watched Shanahan move away from Mccaffrey in the second half and play more traditional set formation drop back with Purdy at the helm.  I know Mccaffrey touched the ball 30 times between catches and carries, but that guy needed more carries on third and short.  The 3rd and 4 from the 6 in OT?  That ball has to go to Mccaffrey on either a screen or zone run.  You cannot put the ball in Purdy's hands, who is the 5th best talent on your offensive side of the ball, and tell him to go win the game.  On the flip side, we continue to see Reid letting Mahomes take over in crunch time.  Similar to Allen, he is a guy who can take over a game or drive.  And Mahomes knew he had to get Kelce going, and made sure he touched the ball frequently in the 4th.

Last night's Super Bowl was - for me - a relatively boring watch in comparison to previous years.  Lots of field goals, very few WOW plays, and very few execution mistakes.  That's where I believe this league is going.   More and more teams who rely on "splash" being successful against poor teams, but getting outplayed pretty substantially by top tier talent.  You can't win 60 minutes with just a potent offense, or just with a QB throwing 50 times.  You need balance, you need a strong scheme (and willingness to stick to it), and you need execution at EVERY PHASE.  Without it, you may get to an important game, but you wont win one.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

Just now, ganesh said:

The Chiefs were good on Offense, Defense and ST.  We have ways to go to catch up with them all three phases

Ways? What????? ST is about the only place we fall short. 

The defense was down to health in that AFC divisional. Out Bernard then losing Benford was killer. 

The offense is there if not better. The coaching is the difference and even the. A first year OC still did decent which in actuality tells me your offensive situation was ahead. 

Again, there is no ways to go. For a guy who preached about ST importance for all those years it certainly is a hinderance to Buffalos successes this year… Punting and kicking had some very forgettable performances. 

1 hour ago, BBFL said:

Ways? What????? ST is about the only place we fall short. 

The defense was down to health in that AFC divisional. Out Bernard then losing Benford was killer. 

The offense is there if not better. The coaching is the difference and even the. A first year OC still did decent which in actuality tells me your offensive situation was ahead. 

Again, there is no ways to go. For a guy who preached about ST importance for all those years it certainly is a hinderance to Buffalos successes this year… Punting and kicking had some very forgettable performances. 

Yeah, the Bills D in the postseason has crippled this teams ability to go far, special teams is whatever, the Bills are better on offense than KC and that’s with OC turnover and an aging #1

5 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Chiefs scored 19 points on offense, and lost the turnover battle. Is that really "firing on all cylinders'. 

I think the chiefs chiefs got to overtime only because of two phases of the game. 

its not barely 12 hours later and the revisionist history is strong. the chiefs executed poorly yesterday.

saying today that they fired on all cylinders is as ridiculous as mahomes saying they overcame adversity last night. they were in their own way because they are not a great football team. last night was about as poor of quality super bowl as has been played in a long time.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, boyst said:

its not barely 12 hours later and the revisionist history is strong. the chiefs executed poorly yesterday.

saying today that they fired on all cylinders is as ridiculous as mahomes saying they overcame adversity last night. they were in their own way because they are not a great football team. last night was about as poor of quality super bowl as has been played in a long time.

I didnt say they fired on all cylinders.  I said the game highlighted the importance of firing on all cylinders.  The offense had moments, and took what they could (and even threw the ball away) throughout the first half, knowing that their defense and special teams could cover.  Then, when they needed the offense to rise to the level of the other phases, their coaching let Mahomes run his offense and they succeeded.  Meanwhile, with the lead, Shanahan took the ball out of Mccaffrey's hands, and their offense sputtered.  Therefore, it is important that your team succeeds at all phases at some point during the game.

• Like (+1) 1

The Chiefs consistently do what the Bills dont. They dont fold under pressure. The moment is never too big. On multiple occasions now we have seen the Bills lose in big games when they should win (13 seconds and this year) along with many late game collapses this year in regular season games. 

Edited by ngbills
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, ganesh said:

The Chiefs were good on Offense, Defense and ST.  We have ways to go to catch up with them all three phases

No offense man, but this sort of analysis drives me crazy because it's not rooted in anything resembling reality.  The Bills have defeated the Chiefs in the last 3 regular season games, which they take very seriously.  The Bills have lost the last two games against the Chiefs in the playoffs literally one by a coin flip and the other where if Chris Jones just gets in 10/100's of a second later on the 2nd and 9 the Bills would most likely win.  

The Bills are right freaking there, there don't have to be wholesale changes or anything of the sort, those games could have gone either way.  Not to mention if we had been just a teeny bit more healthy, the Bills most likely win.  The Bills are extremely close to being able to win it all, just need to execute a hair better and we beat the Chiefs.  

I have very little doubt that the Bills will defeat the Chiefs in the playoffs at least a couple times in the next 5-8 years.  As long as the Bills have a health Josh Allen, the window is open.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.