McDermott’s Learning Curve

11 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

He definitely is aggressive, there have been times when it's felt like he got conservative maybe earlier in the season but now I think that's just the offensive problems we ran into midseason.

But the very clear and obvious evidence of him being aggressive is, and while it was probably the decision I hated the most that game, the fake punt against the Chiefs in the Divisional game. I mean he handed the ***** ball to Damar Hamlin on 4th down like a ***** mad man and we're saying he's not aggressive?

Aggressive =  dumb when you roll the dice and lose. We want them to take chances, but……

It had better work! 

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Thrivefourfive said:

It is not happening with McDermott. He ended the drought, he got this franchise to a very consistent winning tier. But there are obvious limitations that he’ll most likely never overcome. 

Andy Dalton and Tyler Boyd ended our drought.  

We were by far the weakest of two other 9-7 teams that missed the playoffs that season.  

• Eyeroll 1

3 hours ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

Personally, I thought… OMG… he’s finally got it!

His sieve D was beyond a hot mess, so he LOOKED like he was trying to eat 99% of the 8:35 clock, by having Allen guide a controlled march down the field to victory! (See the rain game at Baltimorefor an identical strategy.)

But no… at the 2:40 (approx) mark, he loses his mind and instead Allen tries the TD Pass to Shakir.

With 1:45 and 2 Chiefs TOs!

How many mulligans do you get to ***** up critical closing game moves?

How many?

Done.

i guess I missed McD walking out on the field to tell Allen to make that throw.   I didnt like it but im not going to put it on Mc D.   

14 minutes ago, Comebackkid said:

i guess I missed McD walking out on the field to tell Allen to make that throw.   I didnt like it but im not going to put it on Mc D.   

NO. You missed the point.

You missed him walking on the field to tell Allen to absolutely NOT “make that throw”.

7 hours ago, Thrivefourfive said:

I hope we all like watching grass grow and paint dry.

When is it going to be time to move on from this coach? I appreciate who he is, and what his MO is, but things are not pointing towards a Super Bowl victory with him at the helm. 

I could be mistaken, but I believe that McDermott’s biggest (and only?) adjustment to his conservative nature is calling a more aggressive game in the recent playoff loss to the Chiefs. I didn’t see it, but okay. That’s a painfully slow learning curve. At this pace, he may figure out how to actually call a WINNING game on Super Bowl Sunday sometime in the 2040s. 

How many more super quarterbacks and excellent HCs will come along during that time to put McDermott down every year…

It is not happening with McDermott. He ended the drought, he got this franchise to a very consistent winning tier. But there are obvious limitations that he’ll most likely never overcome. 

It’s very very difficult to win a Super Bowl. A lot of things must align. You can’t have a head coach that is a liability when/if you ever get the chances to bring it all home. Every step of the way with McDermott he is always one or multiple steps behind what it takes to punch through. The longer he is here, the longer we wait (too patiently imo) for the trophy. 

Translation:  I don't like McDermott.

I'm sure many people care what you feel about this.

• Haha (+1) 1

Kinda crazy how many drives in a row KC has gone without a TD back to the Ravens game until 3rd Qtr tonight.  

Bills were absolutely shredded vs KC.  We had nothing on D not even from a healthy D line.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Bills Bud said:

He needs to go, hasn’t learned in 7 years here

Who do you replace him with?    I am not saying McDermott can win, but who will come to take this job especially with the salary cap.

Look at the Chiefs...They have no superstars (except Jones) on their Defense and they have kept the much vaunted 49ers offense off the end zone. 

2 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Translation:  I don't like McDermott.

I'm sure many people care what you feel about this.

Fun fact: McDermott can take credit for the KC Superbowls and the Chiefs beating the Bills in the playoffs given that he traded the pick that became Mahomes.

If Beane did not pull out all of the stops to get Josh and if Josh did not develop the way he has, McDermott already would have been fired as HC and would be remembered as the guy who passed on Mahomes and traded him to the team that has been the thorn in our side.

• Eyeroll 1

Hope I feel different in the morning. Probably just sad to see the Chiefs win again because of great coaching. It sucks to be this much of a realist now. I liked being the Bills fan who was riding high on Josh Allen mountain knowing we would win a Super Bowl “next year”

BUT I now FINALLY realize I get to feel the same agony that Diggs knew last year and I’m sure Allen knows now deep down inside.

No matter how magnificent that Josh mountain looked it keeps sinking under a massive McD ocean that will never dry up. I know how magnificent that mountain is but the waters keep growing all around it…it just keeps pouring down on that mountain sinking deeper and deeper in that endless boring ocean. If only there were a drought to dry it up and let the beautiful mountain sore sky high again…maybe one day soon my fiends. But until then I can live a dreamless season knowing the ocean will still be there in the morning hiding the promise of that astounding mountain

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, zow2 said:

Kinda crazy how many drives in a row KC has gone without a TD back to the Ravens game until 3rd Qtr tonight.  

Bills were absolutely shredded vs KC.  We had nothing on D not even from a healthy D line.

That's because Kelce was so wide open the ball was gone before any D line could get to him.  

• Agree 1

I wonder if the 49ers fans want to fire Shanahan today because he can't win vs Reid/Mahomes?  He has the same problem McDermott has, the only difference is he's in the other conference, so he can go further in the playoffs before he gets to the Reid/Mahomes obstacle. 

9 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

I wonder if the 49ers fans want to fire Shanahan today because he can't win vs Reid/Mahomes?  He has the same problem McDermott has, the only difference is he's in the other conference, so he can go further in the playoffs before he gets to the Reid/Mahomes obstacle. 

His defense and ST hurt him today.   

12 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

The fans have a case, but KS will leave them first. 

On 2/11/2024 at 8:16 PM, Thrivefourfive said:

I hope we all like watching grass grow and paint dry.

When is it going to be time to move on from this coach? I appreciate who he is, and what his MO is, but things are not pointing towards a Super Bowl victory with him at the helm. 

I could be mistaken, but I believe that McDermott’s biggest (and only?) adjustment to his conservative nature is calling a more aggressive game in the recent playoff loss to the Chiefs. I didn’t see it, but okay. That’s a painfully slow learning curve. At this pace, he may figure out how to actually call a WINNING game on Super Bowl Sunday sometime in the 2040s. 

How many more super quarterbacks and excellent HCs will come along during that time to put McDermott down every year…

It’s very very difficult to win a Super Bowl. A lot of things must align. You can’t have a head coach that is a liability when/if you ever get the chances to bring it all home. Every step of the way with McDermott he is always one or multiple steps behind what it takes to punch through. The longer he is here, the longer we wait (too patiently imo) for the trophy. 

This was the perfect off-season to let him and Beane go instead we're going to trust them to rebuild something they couldn't fix to begin with. What I mean by that is the Dline these guys used massive amounts of resources to build the Dline for the majority of the time they were here we spent the most cap space at that position ntm many high picks in the draft. I lost all faith in McBeane from the way Mcd coaches in the playoffs to his schemes to the way Beane drafts it's been a disappointment. 

The best off-season we had while Mcd was here was in 2017 and we all know that was Whaley's scouting staff and personal department that lead that off-season even if Mcd made the calls they scouted those guys . We've been living off that off-season ever since.  I don't believe Pegs has what it takes as a owner to make the critical move to get these guys out that having been riding Josh Allen like a prized horse . Hopefully he figures this out next season.

On 2/11/2024 at 10:01 PM, Brand J said:

I think McD has grown a bit, he’s much more aggressive than he used to be. The early McD would never go for it from his own side of the field. This version has a better feel for the game. With that said, the fake punt was bad, especially with a non-RB rushing the ball. Funny enough, the execution of the play was worse than the design, considering it was an advantageous look to run against. Credit Chenal (or was it Tranquill?) for blowing up two blockers. The main problem I see with McD is that he’s slow to learn, he’s never ahead of situational moments unless they’ve happened before and that’s hurting the team.

It's not just about being aggressive it's about having a feel for situational football. Coming out of that 2 min warning vs KC knowing they have a couple timeouts and we're at the 26yd line u have to run the ball . Josh Allen was running at will I don't think he had a run the whole game for less then 5yds and Ty Johnson was also running it really well so instead of throwing the ball to the endzone its on Mcd to use that 2 min warning to make sure his OC knows what needs to be done to finish this game. Which is kill clock kill the timeouts and score a TD by doing that we win the game and give the ball bk to Mahomes with around 30/40 seconds left or less with no timeouts. Obviously the next 2 plays Allen goes to the endzone as if he only had 15 secs left in the game. That's situational football and that's something Mcd has proven over and over again that he lacks a feel for. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

It's not just about being aggressive it's about having a feel for situational football. Coming out of that 2 min warning vs KC knowing they have a couple timeouts and we're at the 26yd line u have to run the ball . Josh Allen was running at will I don't think he had a run the whole game for less then 5yds and Ty Johnson was also running it really well so instead of throwing the ball to the endzone its on Mcd to use that 2 min warning to make sure his OC knows what needs to be done to finish this game. Which is kill clock kill the timeouts and score a TD by doing that we win the game and give the ball bk to Mahomes with around 30/40 seconds left or less with no timeouts. Obviously the next 2 plays Allen goes to the endzone as if he only had 15 secs left in the game. That's situational football and that's something Mcd has proven over and over again that he lacks a feel for. 

EXACTLY right!

Some Bills fans here wanted the hurry up TD @ 2:40 & 2:00! As though, Pat Mahomes isn’t on the other sideline with 2 TOs. How ***** brain dead does anyone, including the HC have to be to fail to comprehend that end of game strategy? And you know your FG stiff Kicker has been pooching it at a 25% rate in the Playoffs! For him alone,you need to get closer, in case you don’t get the last minute TD.

No. No. No.

Edited by Billsatlastin2018

4 minutes ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

EXACTLY right!

Some Bills fans here wanted the hurry up TD @ 2:40 & 2:00! As though, Pat Mahomes isn’t on the other sideline with 2 TOs. How ***** brain dead does anyone, including the HC have to be to fail to comprehend that end of game strategy? And you know your FG stiff Kicker has been pooching it at a 25% rate in the Playoffs! For him alone,you need to get closer, in case you don’t get the last minute TD.

No. No. No.

I saying to my friends once we got to the 2 min warning that we should be in 4 down territory because we can't trust Bass! Mcd wants to keep playing he always coaches to extend the game or basically extend his demise. That's what loser coaches do. 

If Mcd had the balls to tell Brady and his offense that were going for the win and we're in 4 down territory can u imagine the confidence that instills in your team The confidence that instills in your OC to use his entire playbook? But no Mcd wants it his way which is the loser way. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.