ESPN, Fox and Warner Bros. Discovery team up to launch sports "super-streamer"

Simon

18 hours ago, Lost said:

We'll be cycling back to cable being cheaper than streaming in a few years.  

I've said this is the past.

Everyone was so proud to 'cut the cord', thinking they were sticking it to the man. I predicted that it will only be a matter of time until the streaming services have everyone in their grasp at which time they'll have the leverage to stick it right back to the customer.  They're not there quite yet, but getting closer all the time.

Oh, it's so nice to pay $4.99 monthly for Hulu, or Peacock or Paramount.  Sure....How long before the monthly fee mirrors the Netflix model, which started out at around 7.99? Now that they have everyone hooked, it's doubled for the same service.

Those monthly smart TV app services will shoot up to $9.99/month, UNLESS, for the bargain price you want to purchase it for a full year for the low low price of only $79.99.  Of course, you'll need about 4 different services to get all the content you want. Suddenly, you realize you're paying more than you ever did with cable.

You'll be longing for the good old days of Directv, cable, and the NFL Sunday Ticket on Directv. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, SoMAn said:

Everyone was so proud to 'cut the cord', thinking they were sticking it to the man. I predicted that it will only be a matter of time until the streaming services have everyone in their grasp at which time they'll have the leverage to stick it right back to the customer.  They're not there quite yet, but getting closer all the time.

Oh, it's so nice to pay $4.99 monthly for Hulu, or Peacock or Paramount.  Sure....How long before the monthly fee mirrors the Netflix model, which started out at around 7.99? Now that they have everyone hooked, it's doubled for the same service.

Those monthly smart TV app services will shoot up to $9.99/month, UNLESS, for the bargain price you want to purchase it for a full year for the low low price of only $79.99.  Of course, you'll need about 4 different services to get all the content you want. Suddenly, you realize you're paying more than you ever did with cable.

You'll be longing for the good old days of Directv, cable, and the NFL Sunday Ticket on Directv. 

This new on will start at $40 to $50 a month. 

5 minutes ago, Fleezoid said:

Innovation = "We want more of your money."

They didn't say how much the service will be, but I know exactly how much it'll be to me. $0.

In a few years you won't be able to watch Bills games. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, SoMAn said:

Yep it's coming full circle.   

The grumpy old men of TSW won't pay for Bills content...........but fortunately they will be able to read about the results and transactions every morning on TSW.

"For chrissake the Bills traded Bullfrog!  The only guy they got left for 4 eyes Schottenhoffer!".

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

No pricing or specifics have been released and most of you are bitching about it, planning boycotts, or burning your TVs.  Gotta love TBD's brand of aggressive stupidity.  

https://www.wsj.com/business/media/espn-fox-warner-bros-sports-streaming-service-f2bf96c9?mod=RSSMSN

Wells Fargo analyst Steven Cahall projected, based on various assumptions, that the service could break even if around six million subscribers paid $40 a month. Other media insiders and analysts said the cost would likely have to be in the $50 range or higher. 

I can't see it being any cheaper than that unless they add in an ad tier. 

1 minute ago, Jrb1979 said:

https://www.wsj.com/business/media/espn-fox-warner-bros-sports-streaming-service-f2bf96c9?mod=RSSMSN

Wells Fargo analyst Steven Cahall projected, based on various assumptions, that the service could break even if around six million subscribers paid $40 a month. Other media insiders and analysts said the cost would likely have to be in the $50 range or higher. 

I can't see it being any cheaper than that unless they add in an ad tier. 

you are very passionate about this.

Just now, teef said:

you are very passionate about this.

I am cause I'm excited for it.  Access to the majority of sports in one for one cost.  The price doesn't bother me as I don't pay for any other subscriptions. We just use the free ones. 

I am not too interested in this, but I the little of what I have looked into it the less I understand exactly what it is going to be and what it will give me that I don't already have.

I've been tuning out of watching sports for years. Ironicially, the one 'major' us sport that gets the least major attention (NHL) is the only one that I am watching more (a little more, but not a lot more).

As for the Rest, the Bills are really the only NFL team I watch anymore (I haven't evne watched much of the other playoffs and don't know if/how much I will watch of the superbowl).  MLB and NBA I hvaen't watched a full game of in years.

2 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

so which game will be exclusive to this new service next season?

We got off easy with Peacock, which cost next to nothing for 1 game. Not so much this time around. 

The Fox game of the week at 4 on Sunday is probably a good one. 

GET OFF MY LAWN!  haha...this is the direction it has been going for a LONG time.  It is just getting around to a higher percentage of people.  This is how the younger generations are already consuming entertainment.  This is a long term shift that has been in the works for a very long time.  

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Jrb1979 said:

In a few years you won't be able to watch Bills games. 

Completely disagree. As long as there’s a market for the product, there will be an outlet for it  Demand will determine pricing and the provider will always charge the maximum amount that will yield the maximum profit.

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yep it's coming full circle.   

The grumpy old men of TSW won't pay for Bills content...........but fortunately they will be able to read about the results and transactions every morning on TSW.

"For chrissake the Bills traded Bullfrog!  The only guy they got left for 4 eyes Schottenhoffer!".

With all due respect, I have no idea what you just said

Pretty soon we will be paying to see every game because it's all about the money . Unless i'm missing something ? 

Things such as MNF will be a thing of the past i guess if this streaming thing goes big . Thank god there is WGR .

1 hour ago, Jrb1979 said:

I am cause I'm excited for it.  Access to the majority of sports in one for one cost.  The price doesn't bother me as I don't pay for any other subscriptions. We just use the free ones. 

i'm into the streaming as well.  i'm someone who still has cable, a few free and a few paid streaming.  i have to clean it up because i have a strong feeling i'm paying far more than i need to.

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, SoMAn said:

Completely disagree. As long as there’s a market for the product, there will be an outlet for it  Demand will determine pricing and the provider will always charge the maximum amount that will yield the maximum profit.

With all due respect, I have no idea what you just said

What I meant was dinner n a few years you won't be able to watch Bills games for free over the air. Meaning those who don't want to pay for it will lose out. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, first_and_ten said:

It's news like this that makes me glad I'm not young any longer. 😒

This is really than when cable started to get big. All that's happening is home entertainment is changing 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.