Diggs cryptic comments - 2024 edition

Einstein

8 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

More. 

The interesting bit here is at the end when she asks him about trade rumors he says (paraphrased) "I hope they're not true but where there's smoke there's fire." Like Diggs himself believes there's a chance his time with the Bills is coming to an end. Add it to the pile of bizarre Diggs comments.

McAfee interviewed Allen today and Allen made the comment about how him and Diggs are gonna do big things next year. Diggs isn't going anywhere. Beane isn't eating that contract. This is gonna be a super annoying storyline all year 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

So the uproar here has been that when he was asked (keyword - he was replying to being asked, not just volunteering to talk about his future) if he'd be here (keyword - not if he WANTED to be here) - he simply answered that the decision is not up to him and people felt he should have said more than that.

Now he's been asked again. This time he DID elaborate that he "hopes it doesn't happen" - implying he wants to be here.

Yet that's still not going to be enough for some. 

• Agree 1

37 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Diggs adds fuel to fire & then pretends like he doesn’t know where rumors came from😂

brilliant! Have those GM’s call Beane and start a bidding war

I simply don't understand why you're trying to force a Superstar, one of the best WR's in the NFL off of the team for a lottery ticket that could completely bust or take a while to develop, all the while paying money to do so. 

On top of what it would cost us, the cost for a team taking his contract on is going to make it impossible to get anything of real value. It's like Davante Adams. Amazing talent, but when a team is taking on that kind of contract, they're either not interested or aren't going to give up much in terms of compensation.

If Diggs is the kind of talent that would necessitate a "bidding war" that would have the team taking on his massive contract AND giving up prime compensation in return - that's not the type of player you want to get rid of. Let alone pay money to do so, when we're in the situation we're in.  

He's not going anywhere. For a guy obsessed with shiny toys, it's odd to me you want to get rid of our biggest not named Josh Allen. 

6 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

So the uproar here has been that when he was asked (keyword - he was replying to being asked, not just volunteering to talk about his future) if he'd be here (keyword - not if he WANTED to be here) - he simply answered that the decision is not up to him and people felt he should have said more than that.

Now he's been asked again. This time he DID elaborate that he "hopes it doesn't happen" - implying he wants to be here.

Yet that's still not going to be enough for some. 

When asked about trade rumors he said "where there's smoke there's fire." How do you interpret that answer?

• Like (+1) 1

People really need to put this to bed. Financially it's not feasible for us to split with Diggs. No one has eluded to anything being done with Diggs outside of the TV 🤡's claiming they have "heard" something could be done with Diggs. Josh goes on a show and says they're gonna do big things next year. I also can't see them purposely weakening our offense by getting rid of our QB's #1 guy. This isn't addition by subtraction. He's not TO or anything. Week 1 in 2024 he'll still be in a Bills uni. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I simply don't understand why you're trying to force a Superstar, one of the best WR's in the NFL off of the team for a lottery ticket that could completely bust or take a while to develop, all the while paying money to do so. 

On top of what it would cost us, the cost for a team taking his contract on is going to make it impossible to get anything of real value. It's like Davante Adams. Amazing talent, but when a team is taking on that kind of contract, they're either not interested or aren't going to give up much in terms of compensation.

If Diggs is the kind of talent that would necessitate a "bidding war" that would have the team taking on his massive contract AND giving up prime compensation in return - that's not the type of player you want to get rid of. Let alone pay money to do so, when we're in the situation we're in.  

He's not going anywhere. For a guy obsessed with shiny toys, it's odd to me you want to get rid of our biggest not named Josh Allen. 

he was not even close to a superstar down the stretch.  If he doesn’t want to be here, he is no longer worth the trouble.  If KC can trade Hill and then proceed to still be elite, there’s no reason we can’t survive or get better without Diggs

9 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

When asked about trade rumors he said "where there's smoke there's fire." How do you interpret that answer?

Diggs is playing on both sides of the fence. He loves it

• Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I interpret as a guy giving an honest answer to the rumors. He didn't say "where there's smoke there's fire" to a question about rumors that he doesn't want to be here. He was replying to the fact that there's a million "rumors" floating around that Beane will trade him. Pontificating "when there's smoke there's fire" when it comes to GM's trading players.

The context of both interviews are really clear. He's said that he doesn't make those decisions and he's just focusing on being ready to go to work next season regardless of what's decided.

In this interview, he elaborated that he doesn't want to be traded. Which is really the crux of everyone's outrage - implying by his lack of elaboration that it had to have meant he doesn't want to be here. 

At the absolute most, by saying "where there's smoke there's fire" - he knows that saying something like that will get people talking about him and keep his name and brand on the lips of people in the Offseason. Something he enjoys. 

Even if you take it as more than that, that would imply that he thinks Beane is thinking about trading him (which I don't think is a reality) and on that note, he said he'd rather that not happen.

Nothing to get upset about. Unless you're a person that wants to be upset with him or wants him gone. Then you'll try and make it a bigger deal than it is.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

58 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

The interesting bit here is at the end when she asks him about trade rumors he says (paraphrased) "I hope they're not true but where there's smoke there's fire." Like Diggs himself believes there's a chance his time with the Bills is coming to an end. Add it to the pile of bizarre Diggs comments.

Was it the twitter proposed trade to the Panthers where we get two 2023 first round picks?

On 2/7/2024 at 5:40 PM, Beck Water said:

Found this from Pro Football Network (generally reliable about procedures and so forth):

The trade may have been made earlier, and PROCESSED after June 1, but you can't trade a player, transfer liability for his March bonuses and so forth to his new club, and then designate the trade post-June 1 like you can when you cut a player

They would likely just process the trade after June 1 if that is what they decide. Could be a scenario where if the writing is on the wall - might be best to just rip the bandaid off.  If I'm reading the contract details correctly, his base salary guarantees in March but that would just mean that whoever is trading for him would need to be able to fit that salary in their cap after the trade.  Which would make it more likely that a trade would be worked out pre FA so that the acquiring team would be able to plan their cap structure.

Although not ideal, there are alot of reasons why a post June 1 savings of 19M off the cap is something that the Bills could use. Signing draft picks, summer FAs (Leonard Floyd signed in June), and in-season trades. Not to mention that the Bills could look to rollover the new savings into the 2025 cap which could facilitate making a bigger splash in the FA market next offseason.

Whether we like it or not, this version of the Bills window is closed. The defense is aging and some of their best players are coming off major injuries. They could look to take some medicine this year and play younger players on defense, re-tool the WR room, and look to come out of this season with young players gaining experience and some cap room in 2025 to make some moves in FA.  I realize that "the window" is always open with Allen but that doesn't mean that they can't or shouldn't rebuild. This is exactly what KC has done and they are still contending because their stars and coaching is carrying them through.  Having Allen means that they can rebuild to try to make the team stronger in the future and still be playoff contenders or even go on a run.  They can't simply keep trying to run it back as much as possible because eventually that going to lead to more and more watered down versions of this team that simply just didn't really win anything.  Its OK to take a step back (or two) to try to ramp up in the future.  Other teams are doing this successfully. KC is not the only example.

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

He obviously knows that there's no way he's playing anywhere other than Buffalo in 2024.

He just loves when people are talking about him. That's the only explanation.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

he was not even close to a superstar down the stretch.  If he doesn’t want to be here, he is no longer worth the trouble.  If KC can trade Hill and then proceed to still be elite, there’s no reason we can’t survive or get better without Diggs

But he literally just said he DOES want to be here. So that point is just false. You can twist his words any number of different ways, but that doesn't supercede him literally saying "I hope it doesn't happen" in regards to being traded. Yet you're still trying to falsely manufacture he doesn't want to be here.

He fell apart down the stretch in large part due to us having no one else opposite him that took pressure off. Rather than getting him help, you just want to move on? We're really going to ignore 3 and a half years of Superstar production for the last half of a season and call it a day? Ridiculous.

KC traded Hill and proceeded to be Elite because they still had Kelce. They had 2 Elite weapons, not just 1. Also an all time Offensive Head Coach and this year in particular, a very solid Defense.

He's not going anywhere. He knows it, Josh knows it, Beane knows it. It's not worth even talking about and it makes no sense to hope for it. I don't care how good the College prospects look. Unless that prospect is Marvin Harrison Jr, you shouldn't be hoping to move on from a Superstar WR known commodity like Diggs for the 5th or 6th best WR of 2024.

41 minutes ago, BrooklynBills said:

They would likely just process the trade after June 1 if that is what they decide. Could be a scenario where if the writing is on the wall - might be best to just rip the bandaid off.  If I'm reading the contract details correctly, his base salary guarantees in March but that would just mean that whoever is trading for him would need to be able to fit that salary in their cap after the trade.  Which would make it more likely that a trade would be worked out pre FA so that the acquiring team would be able to plan their cap structure.

Although not ideal, there are alot of reasons why a post June 1 savings of 19M off the cap is something that the Bills could use. Signing draft picks, summer FAs (Leonard Floyd signed in June), and in-season trades. Not to mention that the Bills could look to rollover the new savings into the 2025 cap which could facilitate making a bigger splash in the FA market next offseason.

Whether we like it or not, this version of the Bills window is closed. The defense is aging and some of their best players are coming off major injuries. They could look to take some medicine this year and play younger players on defense, re-tool the WR room, and look to come out of this season with young players gaining experience and some cap room in 2025 to make some moves in FA.  I realize that "the window" is always open with Allen but that doesn't mean that they can't or shouldn't rebuild. This is exactly what KC has done and they are still contending because their stars and coaching is carrying them through.  Having Allen means that they can rebuild to try to make the team stronger in the future and still be playoff contenders or even go on a run.  They can't simply keep trying to run it back as much as possible because eventually that going to lead to more and more watered down versions of this team that simply just didn't really win anything.  It’s OK to take a step back (or two) to try to ramp up in the future.  Other teams are doing this successfully. KC is not the only example.

The window is always open with Allan as you say ….

18 of the 22 starters are back next year ( this doesn’t include Miller as a starter)… there is still some good talent on this team … replace the 4 missing guys with  with average level starters and you still have  a Division winning team …the depth talent is gunna be worse next year … but maybe they are due a better injury year and won’t have to rely on the depth as much…

I still think Diggs is  likely to be back next year … it’s difficult to move on from him cap wise and their situation with the WR room is thin …

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

I find the commitment to defending the honor of a player who has made a career of being, at the very least, annoying in his sound bites quite bizarre. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, FireChans said:

I find the commitment to defending the honor of a player who has made a career of being, at the very least, annoying in his sound bites quite bizarre. 

I find the commitment by some to search for more than what's said, outright put words in his mouth that go against what he's actually said, and then argue that he should be let go based on a proven false personal assumption even more bizarre.

If you think him to be "annoying", that's fine. But being annoying isn't enough to move on from a guy and pay for the privilege to do so - when we already need to replace half the WR core as is, are deep in debt, and have a ton of other holes to fill. He'll be 1 of only 2 WR's left on the team that has caught a Football from Josh in the regular season (after Harty is released).

In a down year, he still was 6th in Receptions and 13th in yardage by a WR in the entire league. He's still a Top end WR in the league.

If he were out here ACTUALLY saying "I'm not happy, I want out - please trade me" - it would be different. But he literally just today said "I hope it doesn't happen". Yet posters are still saying he wants out and are throwing out trade scenarios to get him out of here over the opposite of what he actually said.

To me, that's way more bizarre. As you've said, he probably will be gone in 2025. But now is not the time and making up reasons in your own head and passing them off as fact when it's not to justify shipping him out of town is insanity.

I said this last year and I’ll say it this year. It’s possible these comments are planned to keep Diggs as a topic. Playing in Buffalo you’re not a national topic all year round. Now in the offseason Diggs will still make headlines.

It might be stretch but it makes sense to me. Diggs says all the right things but then he also leaves the door open for speculation. It’s the exact same talk as last year.

3 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

He obviously knows that there's no way he's playing anywhere other than Buffalo in 2024.

He just loves when people are talking about him. That's the only explanation.

Or…..there’s no way in hell he’s taking a pay cut.

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I find the commitment by some to search for more than what's said, outright put words in his mouth that go against what he's actually said, and then argue that he should be let go based on a proven false personal assumption even more bizarre.

If you think him to be "annoying", that's fine. But being annoying isn't enough to move on from a guy and pay for the privilege to do so - when we already need to replace half the WR core as is, are deep in debt, and have a ton of other holes to fill. He'll be 1 of only 2 WR's left on the team that has caught a Football from Josh in the regular season (after Harty is released).

In a down year, he still was 6th in Receptions and 13th in yardage by a WR in the entire league. He's still a Top end WR in the league.

If he were out here ACTUALLY saying "I'm not happy, I want out - please trade me" - it would be different. But he literally just today said "I hope it doesn't happen". Yet posters are still saying he wants out and are throwing out trade scenarios to get him out of here over the opposite of what he actually said.

To me, that's way more bizarre. As you've said, he probably will be gone in 2025. But now is not the time and making up reasons in your own head and passing them off as fact when it's not to justify shipping him out of town is insanity.

Yeah, I think him to be incredibly annoying at this point and I don't think he should be cut because of his media comments.

This act is just old.