Bills interview Mike Caldwell for Open DC Job

3 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

So McDermott is taking a step back away from the D? 

No way! Next up for the interview is Sean Mcdermott himself. He will interview himself in the mirror and judge the candidate to be superb! and like the cut of his gib! A lock for the job!!

Just because McD is interviewing a 3-4 guy doesn't mean he has any intention of running a 3-4.  

I'm guessing he's hiring a DC to take a bit of the load off his shoulders so he can do more HC stuff.  I don't think McD is looking for a guy to come in and implement an entirely different defense.  I think he's looking for someone who can run meetings & practices and coach guys...  in McD's 4-2-5 defense.    

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/28/2024 at 1:57 PM, SoonerBillsFan said:

I'm gonna get beat to death on this, but... Aren't we closer to being able to run a 3-4 D now?  We have all 4 LBs and Von might flourish as an off-the-ball OLB now in his career.  Ed Oliver goes to DE.  Our LBs can also cover if we went 3-3-5 on certain passing situations.  Just spitballing here. 

Until we get a bonafide NT (see Ted Washington) a 3-4 is a major mistake.

Watching the Jaguars the few times I did, Caldwell very much seems like hybrid guy, which isn’t the worst thing. But he’s had some good influences, playing for  Belichick and Saban in Cleveland, Jim Johnson and McDermott, as well as Ron Rivera, Leslie Frazier and Steve Spangolo in Philly. He also has experience coaching under Todd Bowles. So an interesting guy to add to the staff. 

On 1/28/2024 at 12:29 PM, Low Positive said:

Im not going to pretend that I knew this without looking it up, but Caldwell runs a 3-4 defense. He’s a Todd Bowles disciple. It would be quite a change

Which would mean more defense heavy drafts incoming smh

On 1/28/2024 at 11:29 AM, Low Positive said:

Im not going to pretend that I knew this without looking it up, but Caldwell runs a 3-4 defense. He’s a Todd Bowles disciple. It would be quite a change

We all saw how that worked with Rexy - meaning changing schemes to 3/4 with all 4/3 players not a real smart plan moving forward hopefully McD can see that as easily as we do or have .

On 1/28/2024 at 9:29 AM, Low Positive said:

With D. Jones at Nose Tackle, maybe moving Von to rush OLB would be better? I don't know

2 minutes ago, T master said:

We all saw how that worked with Rexy - meaning changing schemes to 3/4 with all 4/3 players not a real smart plan moving forward hopefully McD can see that as easily as we do or have .

Sending Mario Williams into coverage on a regular basis was the dumbest thing in the world. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Motorin' said:

Sending Mario Williams into coverage on a regular basis was the dumbest thing in the world. 

Totally agree !! Rex really screwed the pooch on that one & for the Pegs to think it was good idea well i'll give them that one seeing as  they had just got the team & were new to the NFL . 

But it's no wonder Rex is a TV analyst because changing a #1 ranked Defense from the scheme they used & letting Schwartz out the door was the MOST STUPID THING i've ever seen a coach do !

Then if you think about the number of sacks & pressures that Defense had they should of tar'd and feathered Rex in down town B/lo for that . 

• Like (+1) 1

Is he related to Bobby Caldwell?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.