Mr. Pegula please read Tyler Dunne’s newest article

5 minutes ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

The narrative is already out in the sports media world that the Bills need some other team to knock out the Chiefs for Buffalo to have a chance.  I guess that what happens when you lose 3 times in a row in the playoffs, with almost perfect qb play

Josh had an 86.1 passer rating in the Chiefs game.  Against the Bengals in playoffs last year it was 68.   Those are both below average

Edited by prissythecat
grammar
  • Disagree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo Boy said:

My burning question is how much input is McD getting vs Beane in draft selection.

I was kinda down on Beane until this years draft which was 🔥

While they obviously talk, and McDermott voices his opinion I would imagine Beane runs the draft. During the season McDermott has to focus on the Bills. Beane is constantly talking with his scouts/staff as they watch what is going on with college football. Bottom line is Beane is the one who can focus on college football as well as the Bills. McDermott can't do that. It would make sense the Beane runs the draft. IMHO I would think this is how it goes. 

I'm fine with Tyler Dunne's articles and am glad he wrote the one earlier this season. I was a big McDermott critic in the middle of the season.

But I do think McDermott earned another season after the turnaround this team had.

Unfortunately, Andy Reid outcoached him again on Sunday. But Reid tends to do that - he is one of the all-time greats. So does McDermott have what it takes to be a Super Bowl winning coach?

If I were owner I would give him one more chance.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

Josh had an 86.1 passer rating in the Chiefs game.  Against the Bengals in playoffs last year it was 68.   Those are both below average

Omg 🤣🤣🤣.  The Bengals, sure.  If you watched that last game is said Josh did not play almost perfect, there is no arguing with you.  How about the monster drops by our garbage WRs that likely would have changed the game, and that stupid stat you tried to inject here

Edited by Gunsgoodtime
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

Passer rating is still a thing?

Does the passer rating account for this play?

Diggs drop.jpg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

27 minutes ago, T master said:

Still ? After what McD & Beane just did as a coach & GM in tandem kept the team together and getting the players to fill holes to go on a run to win 6 in a row you people are unbelievable ungrateful for what it took just to get to the play offs this year ... 

I just watched the Kelsey brothers pod cast they were giving the Bills HUGE praise & respect on how good they were despite all the injuries, I wish fans could see it just crazy .

My opinion is that MANY people in here are way more knowledgeable about the Bills' organization's strengths, weaknesses, tendencies, coaching tactics, etc, than the Kelce brothers. Just because they're players, that means very little when discussing the nuances of the Buffalo Bills (or really, any team other than their own).

There are people in here who have been watching and studying the Bills (and NFL footbal) for decades, and have seen every Bills' play, in every game this year. How many Bills games have the Kelce brothers seen this year, other than the one each saw when they were on the opposing sidelines? And my experience of watching the league for 50+ years says that during a game, when a starting/active player is not out on the field, he's really not paying close attention to the game, and definitely not paying close attention to every move that the coaches are making, like rabid fans certainly ARE.

3 minutes ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

Omg 🤣🤣🤣.  The Bengals, sure.  If you watched that last game is said Josh did not play almost perfect, there is no arguing with you.  How about the monster drops by our garbage WRs that likely would have changed the game, and that stupid stat you tried to inject here

Passer rating is a decent objective rating of how well a QB is throwing the ball .  It isn't a perfect metric. But it helps in determining if statements on a QBs performance are off base like yours.    Perfect  play from Josh in all three playoffs losses?    Lol

• Disagree 2

3 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Unfortunately, Andy Reid outcoached him again on Sunday. But Reid tends to do that - he is one of the all-time greats. So does McDermott have what it takes to be a Super Bowl winning coach?

In which facets did he outcoach him? To my eye Mahomes took two deeper shots to MVS (who I am not a massive fan of) and he came up with tricky but makeable catches. Josh put three deep balls in at least as good a spot for Diggs and Sherfield x2 and they didn't come down with the ball. That and the kicking reliability was the difference in the football game much more than any coaching advantage IMO. 

7 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

Against the Chiefs Allen took what was available.  That will lead to a lower QB rating because YPC is reduced.  The two drops on over 100 yards of potential passing yards prevented Allen from having a rating in the 100's.

And as usual you neglect to mention Allen's 72 yards and 2 TD's rushing which was critical to the offenses success.

BTW, Allen's QBR, which is a much better rating of how Allen plays then the regular rating, was 65.4 against the Chiefs Sunday.  This is quite good and borderline great.

2 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

Passer rating is a decent objective rating of how well a QB is throwing the ball .  It isn't a perfect metric. But it helps in determining if statements on a QBs performance are off base like yours.    Perfect  play from Josh in all three playoffs losses?    Lol

But the way you present it is misleading.  Do you ave a grudge against Allen?

2 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Against the Chiefs Allen took what was available.  That will lead to a lower QB rating because YPC is reduced.  The two drops on over 100 yards of potential passing yards prevented Allen from having a rating in the 100's.

And as usual you neglect to mention Allen's 72 yards and 2 TD's rushing which was critical to the offenses success.

BTW, Allen's QBR, which is a much better rating of how Allen plays then the regular rating, was 65.4 against the Chiefs Sunday.  This is quite good and borderline great.

QBR is a bogus ESPn metric .  It’s good if you want to say that Tim Tebow was a good QB. 

also, arguing  that Allen’s rating would have broken 100 if  two low percentage bombs weren’t  dropped is silly .  There’s a reason long bombs are only thrown a few times a game 

Edited by prissythecat
  • Disagree 2

40 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

Most successful NFL teams have owners who stay in the background and let the football guys run the show. This is true for all four of the teams in the championship games and really for all 8 teams that played in the Divisional Round save for perhaps the Bucs. But people like owners like Jerry Jones, Steven Ross, and Jim Irsay because they "do something." 

As I have said before, I would fire McDermott if I was the owner. Not for all of the BS reasons that people on here gripe about, but because I believe that coaches have a lifecycle if a team is not winning championships. Larry Bird, when he coached the Pacers, said that after 5 years that a team stops listening to a coach. So you either have to get a new coach or new players and it's a lot easier to fire one guy than get a new roster.

Edit: Larry Bird had a 3-year rule, not 5: https://www.basketballnetwork.net/old-school/larry-bird-didnt-want-coaches-to-stay-in-the-organization-for-more-than-three-years-if-they-werent-winning

I'm actually a (not so) secret Larry Bird addict.  When I'm feeling "down" I like to look up an old Larry Bird highlight reel on Youtube and feast my eyeballs.  Which is a little weird since I'm not really an NBA fan at all.  But do what you gotta do to keep yourself positive!

Bird was unquestionably a great player.  If I'm not mistaken, Bird spent 3 years as an NBA coach and took a team that had been vacillating between losing the EC finals and losing in the 1st round, to....losing the EC finals twice and losing the finals once.  After which they went back to vacillating between losing the EC finals and losing in the first round.

Guess I'm not sure why one would look to Larry Bird as an authority on how to manage a championship Football team?

14 hours ago, Logic said:

I was a person who said mid-season that the Bills should turn the page from McDermott.

I can't sit here and say that I 100% changed my mind on that, or that I'm fully confident McDermott should be the guy moving forward.

But I would be remiss not to mention this:

From the bye week onward, and really from the publishing of the first Ty Dunne article onward, I thought McDermott improved dramatically. He fired his offensive coordinator midseason and replace him with a guy who, by most accounts, was better equipped for the job. He did a deep dive on his own defense over the bye week and came back with more aggressiveness, disguise, and variety, and the unit improved dramatically. He started coaching with more aggressiveness in his gameday decision making, routinely going for it on 4th down on his own side of the field and early in games. He started being more aggressive in his end-of-game decision making and defensive play calling. In short, he improved on almost all of the areas about which myself and others had concerns about him.

On top of all of that, his players rallied around him and won five straight games to secure the two-seed, then won a playoff game and almost won another. I thought the way the players backed him up when the chips were down spoke volumes. Rallying to the two-seed after the way the season started also spoke volumes.

All of this is to say that McDermott has reached a point where I no longer watch him on game day and think "he has to go. He can't get the job done. It's time to move on". From about the bye week onward, his decision making and his coaching were impressive to me, as were the results on the field. Even in the Chiefs playoff game, it's hard to say with a straight face that McDermott was the reason we lost. 

It's all a moot point anyway, because McDermott will be the coach in 2024. But I, for one, am no longer in the "he needs to be shown the door immediately" camp. With the way he improved the second half of the season and into the playoffs, and the way the players still seem to buy into his coaching and his culture, he has indisputably earned himself another season at the helm of the Buffalo Bills. If the Bills give up 30 and lose in the Divisional round again next season, we can re-visit the topic.

There shouldn't be a revisit. It should be simply he is gone. 

Just now, prissythecat said:

QBR is a bogus ESPn metric .  It’s good if you want to say that Tim Tebow was a good QB. 

As you noted there is no perfect QB rating system.  But QBR better captured Allen's play on Sunday then the conventional QB rating.  To suggest otherwise is wrong and fly's in the face of what we all saw in that game. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

This is pretty dumb.  Imagine telling your head coach, hey, we are going to see if something better is out there.  Sit tight.   Why are people's brains broken?

14 hours ago, WhoTom said:

Ah, yes. I remember the time I told my then-fiance, "I'm going to explore other options for a wife over the next few weeks, but if I don't find anyone better, then I'll marry you."

She left that night and never returned, but I'm sure it was just a coincidence.

They really don’t gotta tell him anything. He’s paid to do a job and and even though he has had some success the job hasn’t got done. If they feel they want to see if there is someone else available that can finish the job he started that’s up to him. Obviously if they are looking for them it might be best to be straight forward with him.  They save more money if he quits then they would firing him. 

10 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

Did is say perfect?  No.  Reading comprehension is important.  Also nice to see he quickly that absurd post is thrown back at your face by other logical posters.  But the "QBR"  🤣

Edited by Gunsgoodtime

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.