McDermott - Excuses, Valid but concerning

SCBills

4 hours ago, gobills404 said:

Great point. McDermott will totally become a SB winning coach like Reid once he has an elite, generational talent at QB. Oh wait…

Mahomes is the better QB though and he's unfortunately in our conference.  He's one bad second half against the Bengals from going to four straight Super Bowls.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Agree 1

22 hours ago, BananaB said:

Not when McD keeps using the resources for his D.  After last year the biggest thing we needed was WR help. After they completely bombed in FA filling the holes what did they do at trade deadline, go out and repair McDs D. 

? I don't understand where you're trying to get to.

I didn't mention anything about defense.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

To Patrick Mahomes x2 and Joe Burrow. We are losing to fighters in Allen's weight class so to speak. Now I get it is frustrating as hell losing to them.... and we have had our chances to beat them. Including on Sunday when for all the failures Josh and the offense had the chance to go and win the game at the end. They didn't execute.

Easy. That rookie can't call the defense and has struggled to even line up right. Twice in the Steelers game and once in his limited snaps agains the Chiefs he was clearly in the wrong spot and teammates were trying to move him as the offense snapped the ball. If you'd have started him the Chiefs would have gone right after him too. It is the result of being down to your third string linebackers.

Oddly enough the rookie made a solid play on third down late in the game chipping rice on the cross route. It was a bad penalty by the refs that kept the drive alive. Then he backed it up on the next third down taking Mahommes down near the sidelines.🤷🏼‍♂️ This D is full of vets all over the board except the LBer position, surely there could be help in communication to make sure the best player is on the field. Klien was ***** terrible, you’re right about that. Looked like he was still on vacation . The whole defense is vets, there gotta to be a better way. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, BananaB said:

Oddly enough the rookie made a solid play on third down late in the game chipping rice on the cross route. It was a bad penalty by the refs that kept the drive alive. Then he backed it up on the next third down taking Mahommes down near the sidelines.🤷🏼‍♂️ This D is full of vets all over the board except the LBer position, surely there could be help in communication to make sure the best player is on the field. Klien was ***** terrible, you’re right about that. Looked like he was still on vacation . The whole defense is vets, there gotta to be a better way. 

Williams is great at running and hitting. He just has no idea where he should be. Klein never blows an assignment but looks like his legs move in treacle. 

I said it before the game - there was no good solution. When you are down to linebackers 5 and 6 there rarely is. That is the NFL. Nobody has functional depth going to their third string at a spot. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

29 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Williams is great at running and hitting. He just has no idea where he should be. Klein never blows an assignment but looks like his legs move in treacle. 

I said it before the game - there was no good solution. When you are down to linebackers 5 and 6 there rarely is. That is the NFL. Nobody has functional depth going to their third string at a spot. 

Personally I like the guy who has the tools to make the plays despite some mistakes over the guy who might be smarter but just doesn’t have it physically. I agree it’s not a good situation either way though

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 1/22/2024 at 5:36 PM, SCBills said:

-WC Loss to the Houston Texans.  We weren't ready.  Second half collapse, but Year 2 Josh Allen.  Not the end of the world.

-AFC Championship Game vs KC.  Defense was handed an early lead and proceeded to lay an egg.  But hey, we're making strides and weren't ready for that moment.  But we're on the right track.

-AFC Divisional Game vs KC.  13 seconds.  Abject failure that falls directly on the coaching.  We'll apparently never know where the disconnect was in those final moments, but ok.

-AFC Divisional Game at home vs CIN.  No show all around.  Damar Hamlin, mental exhaustion... ok.  Fine. 

-AFC Divisional Game at home vs KC.  Defense is an absolute dumpster fire.  McDermott leading that Defense.  But we have injuries, so...  Spags had injuries too, and managed to make life difficult in that second half, but ok...

Playoff wins over Miami with a backup QB, Pittsburgh with a backup QB, Baltimore, New England and Indianapolis.  

Every year, aside from 13 seconds, he's had a valid excuse.  First two years, building, making strides...

But then 13 seconds happened, and our Defense has been an absolute liability against the Bengals and Chiefs.

He gets next year, I'm sure, but there can't be anymore excuses.  Valid or not.. he's used all of them up.  We talk about needing luck yet NE ran the AFC for a decade + and now KC is doing the same.  It's not luck, as much as we want to pretend it is.  And when we watch Allen play Mahomes.. it's not the QB.  So what is it?  Rhetorical question, because we all know.. and he's out of excuses.  Valid or not.  You can't have one every year. 

No excuses for not having a LB on your team that doesn't know how to call the Defense other then AJ Klein who was sitting on his arse at home for most of the season. It's ridiculous that Dodson which has been here for yrs can't wear the green dot . Mof I'm calling horsesht on that because Dodson started a few games in place of Edmunds in previous seasons and filled in very well. The excuses Mcd has are awful and if that's the case it's a fireable offense either way. 

33 minutes ago, BananaB said:

Personally I like the guy who has the tools to make the plays despite some mistakes over the guy who might be smarter but just doesn’t have it physically. I agree it’s not a good situation either way though

I'd lean the other way against a clever coach like Reid. He'd have had Williams spinning like a top.

For all, you supposed Bills fans who desperately want a change at HC for the Buffalo Bills.

Allow me to remind you of the last nearly twenty or so years between 2000-2017 look how many head coaches the Bills have had...Rex Ryan, Anthony Lynn, Doug Marone, Chan Gailey, Perry Fewell, Dick Jauron, Mike Mularkey, Greg Williams. 

Now, take a long hard look at the NHL Sabres in that the Buffalo Bills owner also owns. Currently 7th in a division of 8 teams. How many NHL Championships for the Sabres under this owner? Do any of you expect him to fire McD and replace him with...

Exactly who do you fellows have in mind to replace one of the winningest head coaches in Buffalo Bills history? 

3 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

For all, you supposed Bills fans who desperately want a change at HC for the Buffalo Bills.

Allow me to remind you of the last nearly twenty or so years between 2000-2017 look how many head coaches the Bills have had...Rex Ryan, Anthony Lynn, Doug Marone, Chan Gailey, Perry Fewell, Dick Jauron, Mike Mularkey, Greg Williams. 

Now, take a long hard look at the NHL Sabres in that the Buffalo Bills owner also owns. Currently 7th in a division of 8 teams. How many NHL Championships for the Sabres under this owner? Do any of you expect him to fire McD and replace him with...

Exactly who do you fellows have in mind to replace one of the winningest head coaches in Buffalo Bills history? 

For all of you supposed Bills fans who desperately want to keep McDermott as the HC of the Buffalo Bills. Let me remind you.

1. SEVEN YEARS. He has had SEVEN YEARS with one best QB's in the league and has had numerous playoff failures. So maybe a new voice is needed to lead this team. 

2. Why does everyone think a change from McDermott to another coach would automatically be bad. It actually might be good and just what is needed to get this team over the top. McDermott is a good coach, but he is not a legendary coach like Belichick, Carroll, Saban. 

3. Unless Beane also gets canned I would expect he and not Terry would be leading the search for the next HC. So, while Terry would have to approve of the hire, I would expect he would go off of Beane's recommendation.

If fans want to keep McDermott and keep winning the AFCE and losing in the divisional round, then I am happy for all of you. Some of us want the Bills to win a Super Bowl. After SEVEN YEARS it is fair to question if McDermott can get them there. 

If it were my call, then Bill Belichick would be the HC of the Bills in 2024. His record with an elite level franchise QB speaks for itself. Although he cannot be the GM. That is Beane's job.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1

5 minutes ago, Gregg said:

For all of you supposed Bills fans who desperately want to keep McDermott as the HC of the Buffalo Bills. Let me remind you.

1. SEVEN YEARS. He has had SEVEN YEARS with one best QB's in the league and has had numerous playoff failures. So maybe a new voice is needed to lead this team. 

2. Why does everyone think a change from McDermott to another coach would automatically be bad. It actually might be good and just what is needed to get this team over the top. McDermott is a good coach, but he is not a legendary coach like Belichick, Carroll, Saban. 

3. Unless Beane also gets canned I would expect he and not Terry would be leading the search for the next HC. So, while Terry would have to approve of the hire, I would expect he would go off of Beane's recommendation.

If fans want to keep McDermott and keep winning the AFCE and losing in the divisional round, then I am happy for all of you. Some of us want the Bills to win a Super Bowl. After SEVEN YEARS it is fair to question if McDermott can get them there. 

If it were my call, then Bill Belichick would be the HC of the Bills in 2024. His record with an elite level franchise QB speaks for itself. Although he cannot be the GM. That is Beane's job.

1. He has had 6 years with Josh and only four with him as one of the best QBs in the NFL. In those four seasons he has lost three times in the playoffs to the one QB who is probably better than him and once to the QB who is arguably right behind Josh on his tail. 

2. I have no sympathy with the "better the devil you know" argument. That is NOT a reason to keep Sean McDermott. That said, does the prospect of Terry Pegula hiring the next coach terrify me? Yes. Yes it does. 

3. McDermott and Beane are joined at the hip. If one goes they both go. The Head Coach does not report to Beane. And even if they did, we know that in BOTH of Pegula's coaching searches so far in Buffalo he overruled his GM and hired the guy he liked best. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

1. He has had 6 years with Josh and only four with him as one of the best QBs in the NFL. In those four seasons he has lost three times in the playoffs to the one QB who is probably better than him and once to the QB who is arguably right behind Josh on his tail. 

2. I have no sympathy with the "better the devil you know" argument. That is NOT a reason to keep Sean McDermott. That said, does the prospect of Terry Pegula hiring the next coach terrify me? Yes. Yes it does. 

3. McDermott and Beane are joined at the hip. If one goes they both go. The Head Coach does not report to Beane. And even if they did, we know that in BOTH of Pegula's coaching searches so far in Buffalo he overruled his GM and hired the guy he liked best. 

You, me or any other fan would have no way of knowing if Beane and McDermott are joined at the hip. Terry is the only one who can answer that. A similar situation is when the Jets hired Gase who then recommended JD for the GM job. Similar to how McDermott and Beane were hired. Were Gase and JD joined at the hip. Gase got canned a few years ago while JD remains the GM. If Beane stays, then he would be leading the search for the next HC if they move on from McDermott. Again, fans have no way of knowing if Terry would clean house or just replace one of them. Fans can only speculate or give their opinion but as we know that means nothing. Only Terry's opinion counts.

38 minutes ago, Gregg said:

You, me or any other fan would have no way of knowing if Beane and McDermott are joined at the hip. Terry is the only one who can answer that. A similar situation is when the Jets hired Gase who then recommended JD for the GM job. Similar to how McDermott and Beane were hired. Were Gase and JD joined at the hip. Gase got canned a few years ago while JD remains the GM. If Beane stays, then he would be leading the search for the next HC if they move on from McDermott. Again, fans have no way of knowing if Terry would clean house or just replace one of them. Fans can only speculate or give their opinion but as we know that means nothing. Only Terry's opinion counts.

I have not spoken to Terry but I have spoken to people who have worked inside the organisation and are adamant that Terry sees them as a pair and that is why he has always given them concurrent contracts. I don't think this is at all like the Gase - Joe Douglas situation. And as I say, even if Beane stays.... Terry has overruled his GM on HC searches twice in two tries so far with the Bills. Once wisely, once less so.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Except in 2 of those games our QB has outperformed the other guy yet still lost, that's a coaching problem.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Wait a minute. You flipped and want McD gone now? Just like that?

Did someone really suggest Bill Belichick as Buffalo's next head coach? The Patriots just fired the guy after a 4-13 season with the offense going 31st in points, and 30th in yards. What a cluster mess that team has been since Tom Brady left and we now know who the real star behind all those Super Bowl wins was.

Bill Belichick Told Patriots owner Robert Kraft that Tom Brady was done..and the guy went on to Tampa Bay to win another Super Bowl. 

There is a real reason as to why so many teams that need an HC this off-season are passing on him.  For the lord's sake, the man put a former DC in as the OC, and that guy was just fired as the Eagles DC. At least former Patriots OC Josh McDaniels had that offense working with Mc Jones and ole Bill most likely ruined him with his craptastic picks as OC after McDaniels left. 

Let's not forget that this owner's first choice for a head coach was Rex Ryan... along with his destruction of the best pass rush in the NFL :sick:

No thanks, I'd rather not go back to a hit-or-miss on a complete overhaul of any aspect of the team as a new HC would want to do things his way. Like ole Wrex Ryan. Besides I really like what I've seen from new Buffalo Bills OC Joe Brady as the Bills controlled the clock by running the ball down the Chief's throats, 39 rushes for 182 yards, and ToP 37:03. 

Also, If only the real Stephon Diggs showed up and played well. If Buffalo had a top #2 WR that could get separation and put up some decent numbers would have also helped Josh.

54 minutes ago, LarryMadman said:

Except in 2 of those games our QB has outperformed the other guy yet still lost, that's a coaching problem.

It's a supporting talent problem.

37 minutes ago, Governor said:

Wait a minute. You flipped and want McD gone now? Just like that?

No. I just don't think the better the devil you know argument is a credible argument for keeping him. 

That isn't my argument for keeping him. 

• Eyeroll 1

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I'd lean the other way against a clever coach like Reid. He'd have had Williams spinning like a top.

the solution is to not be so mired in a scheme which at all times requires players that you don't have (due to not signing them or injury).  a dc should be able to come up w a d that doesn't require benching a wrecking ball in favor of someone who is no longer a pro football player.

kinda reminds me of the knock on rex, his scheme was too demanding and not enough guys could run it.

billacheat has come up w entirely different ds for different situations (what they came up w for the rams in the chip was a master class).  

i've had issues w our d structurally in the past.  the proof is in the pudding, and we've been cheeks in 5 straight play off losses.

1 minute ago, colin said:

the solution is to not be so mired in a scheme which at all times requires players that you don't have (due to not signing them or injury).  a dc should be able to come up w a d that doesn't require benching a wrecking ball in favor of someone who is no longer a pro football player.

It wasn't about scheme. It was about knowing where to line up in the formation. That is absolute basics. And has been a problem for Williams. 

Just now, GunnerBill said:

It wasn't about scheme. It was about knowing where to line up in the formation. That is absolute basics. And has been a problem for Williams. 

either we consistently get players who are just soo stupid then can't play football (which means we are fools in player evaluation) or our scheme is a bit too clever by half or it's a combo of that and mcd just not trusting new guys but instead leaning too hard on vets and not being flexible on D.

either that or we don't actually know how to coach basic football.

i think it's pretty clear w guys like williams and milano not getting burn early, rotating cbs and OTs, and guys like cook getting sent to the gulags off of one fumble that mcd is slow to trust young guys or just is a bit too much of a perfectionist.

my evidence: elam vs pitts and williams vs kc made full on great plays.  maybe they don't get a start over a full roster, but guys who are really too hurt to play should not be in over them.

• Disagree 1

4 minutes ago, colin said:

either we consistently get players who are just soo stupid then can't play football (which means we are fools in player evaluation) or our scheme is a bit too clever by half or it's a combo of that and mcd just not trusting new guys but instead leaning too hard on vets and not being flexible on D.

either that or we don't actually know how to coach basic football.

i think it's pretty clear w guys like williams and milano not getting burn early, rotating cbs and OTs, and guys like cook getting sent to the gulags off of one fumble that mcd is slow to trust young guys or just is a bit too much of a perfectionist.

my evidence: elam vs pitts and williams vs kc made full on great plays.  maybe they don't get a start over a full roster, but guys who are really too hurt to play should not be in over them.

Elam is a scheme fit issue. Williams is not that. He is at a more basic level struggling to adjust to the league

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Elam is a scheme fit issue. Williams is not that. He is at a more basic level struggling to adjust to the league

and 20 weeks in he hadn't figured anything out to perhaps earn a start over a man who has no place on an nfl roster?  we had a single stop, one single stop, all day.  williams made one, was robbed w a cheap call, and came out and made another to force a punt w the season on the line.

and once again, you are simply making a just so argument without considering what we saw, we saw certain defeat with aj, plays by williams, and plays by elam.  what was elam going to do, allow the same zero stops that we were giving up?  oh noes!

and as i mentioned above, we can't prep a guy or make a change in the scheme?  simply not possible?

mcd is said to live at the facility, i think all evidence shows he is too stubborn, at least at times, and was clearly so vs kc until it was too late (he did put williams in)

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, colin said:

and 20 weeks in he hadn't figured anything out to perhaps earn a start over a man who has no place on an nfl roster?  we had a single stop, one single stop, all day.  williams made one, was robbed w a cheap call, and came out and made another to force a punt w the season on the line.

and once again, you are simply making a just so argument without considering what we saw, we saw certain defeat with aj, plays by williams, and plays by elam.  what was elam going to do, allow the same zero stops that we were giving up?  oh noes!

and as i mentioned above, we can't prep a guy or make a change in the scheme?  simply not possible?

mcd is said to live at the facility, i think all evidence shows he is too stubborn, at least at times, and was clearly so vs kc until it was too late (he did put williams in)

I am not neglecting what we saw. What we saw was a guy who struggled to line up properly. 

• Eyeroll 1

You guys all wanting McD gone are simply wasting your time complaining about him as he isn't going anywhere this year.  Instead, you could be spending your time looking at the free-agent market and upcoming draft.

A real youth movement in the draft might really help this team going forward.

Anyway, look at the Baltimore Ravens for the last five years in struggling just to make the playoffs and they have been struck with injuries the past few seasons. Now they are on the verge of perhaps another Super Bowl and John Harbaugh has been there 15 seasons. The Ravens didn't even make the playoffs for three seasons and they didn't fire him. It took him 5 years to get to an SB. 

The Buffalo Bills just have had the bad luck to face the Chiefs with Andy Reid as HC and Patrick Mahomes as QB the last few years. That and injuries.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

You guys all wanting McD gone are simply wasting your time complaining about him as he isn't going anywhere this year.  Instead, you could be spending your time looking at the free-agent market and upcoming draft.

Just one more for the road..

Daboll is wearing out his welcome in NY.  The Giants fire Brian Daboll..

The Giants hire Bill Belicheck who is itching to come back and has respect of the Giants ownership.

The Bills fire McDermott and bring Daboll home to be head coach.  The Josh/Daboll partnership is back together for a SB run.

Are we good?

• Shocked 1

It doesn’t matter what Sean McDermott excuses are the bottom line he failed against Andy Reid again. If Andy Reid retires and Sean McDermott wants the Kansas City Chiefs head coaching job he should take it. Sean McDermott problem is he has been here in Buffalo too long and eventually the message of repeating the same tired coaching cliches gets old. I just think if Sean McDermott fails next season it is best he moves on from the Buffalo Bills organization. I still think Sean McDermott is best suited as a college head football coach like Penn State they need a head coach since they can’t beat Michigan or Ohio State. Maybe Penn State alum Terry Pegula can point Sean McDermott there. I just feel Sean McDermott isn’t a NFL head coach he is better suited as a college head coach running a big college program in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, zow2 said:

Just one more for the road..

Daboll is wearing out his welcome in NY.  The Giants fire Brian Daboll..

The Giants hire Bill Belicheck who is itching to come back and has respect of the Giants ownership.

The Bills fire McDermott and bring Daboll home to be head coach.  The Josh/Daboll partnership is back together for a SB run.

Are we good?

I dont know it seems Daboll isn't a people person.   In terms of him and Sean it seems Daboll was the d!ck (at least that's likely according to reports from the Giants).

I know Sean isn't going anywhere and these discussions may be pointless.  The reason to have these conversations is that we at least need to pinpoint at what point we DO move on from him.  Josh not winning a championship is not acceptable.   It will be just as regrettable as losing 4 superbowls maybe more.   

The best coaches, to me, adapt their systems to personnel.   Belichick teams always did.  He's won multiple titles more on the back of his D than Brady.  Our coach seems incapable of this.  I don't want change for the sake of change.  I want change to be smarter and more adaptable.  

So if we bomb out next season do we make a move?  2 years?  4?  At what point does Josh get frustrated (though he seems incapable)?  

First of all the Buffalo offense needs some big-time help in terms of better wide receivers. It's not just the injuries to the defense that held the Chiefs to 27 points.

The Buffalo Bills against the Chiefs in this past playoff game didn't have an offensive play for more than 20 yards and the longest play was a run by Josh Allen.

WTF happened to that vaunted Buffalo passing game we all saw in 2020?

Diggs took the last few playoffs off for whatever reason, Davis was out injured and the only guys who did well were the TEs and Shakir who was in the slot. The others stunk it up.

Buffalo desperately needs a new #1 WR and a #2 WR with one who can get open all the time and one that is a deep burner. 

If Josh Allen had that this season in the playoffs the Bills would be headed to the AFC Championship game along with a possible SB.

16 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

First of all the Buffalo offense needs some big-time help in terms of better wide receivers. It's not just the injuries to the defense that held the Chiefs to 27 points.

The Buffalo Bills against the Chiefs in this past playoff game didn't have an offensive play for more than 20 yards and the longest play was a run by Josh Allen.

Diggs took the last few playoffs off for whatever reason, Davis was out injured and the only guys who did well were the TEs and Shakir who was in the slot. The others stunk it up.

Buffalo desperately needs a new #1 WR and a #2 WR with one who can get open all the time and one that is a deep burner. 

If Josh Allen had that this season in the playoffs the Bills would be headed to the AFC Championship game along with a possible SB.

The Bills definitely need to hit a HR in the draft in getting Allen another weapon in the WR corps. As for the Chiefs game the Bills were trying to protect their injury riddled defense by playing ball control and keep Mahomes off the field as much as possible. Similar to what the Giants did in the Super Bowl vs the Bills and it almost worked.

44 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

The GM thought Gabe was a #2, then he doubled down and blamed his inconsistent play on an ankle injury in the off-season. Shakir is starting to show promise, hopefully he does’t take that for granted this off season. We need way better play out of that position. 

On 1/22/2024 at 11:00 AM, BigDingus said:

Let's not forget Andy Reid's playoff history before Mahomes.

How many NFC playoff games did he lose with those Eagles teams? Then a few more with the Chiefs. It took him a long, long time to get where he is now. 

McDermott doesn't have the wins now, but Reid made the playoffs a dozen times before getting over the hump (yes, he did make a SB appearance with the Eagles once too).

It took Reid having a great QB to get there, what’s the plan, replace Allen with somebody better?

17 hours ago, L Ron Burgundy said:

I know Sean isn't going anywhere and these discussions may be pointless.  The reason to have these conversations is that we at least need to pinpoint at what point we DO move on from him.  Josh not winning a championship is not acceptable.   It will be just as regrettable as losing 4 superbowls maybe more.   

The best coaches, to me, adapt their systems to personnel.   Belichick teams always did.  He's won multiple titles more on the back of his D than Brady.  Our coach seems incapable of this.  I don't want change for the sake of change.  I want change to be smarter and more adaptable.  

So if we bomb out next season do we make a move?  2 years?  4?  At what point does Josh get frustrated (though he seems incapable)?  

Josh is not incapable of being frustrated, he is just good at toeing the line in the public eye.  I guarantee you he isn’t blind to the fact this is team is nothing without him and the Defense collapses at every big moment, just like their leader.

• Disagree 1

19 hours ago, Gregg said:

The Bills definitely need to hit a HR in the draft in getting Allen another weapon in the WR corps. As for the Chiefs game the Bills were trying to protect their injury riddled defense by playing ball control and keep Mahomes off the field as much as possible. Similar to what the Giants did in the Super Bowl vs the Bills and it almost worked.

It wasn't that the Bills didn't try and go deep a few times...alas, Diggs didn't catch that one deep bomb that could have really changed the game and both Sherfield and Harty were useless. Shakir missed a deep middle pass, and Sherfield missed a deep pass. But yeah, they wanted to keep Mahomes off the field as much as they could and it did almost work.

Alas, Mr Bass.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.