Where does this regime go from here?

HappyDays

Unless Terry is all in on the likes of Harbaugh or Belichick, we are keeping Beane and McDermott. In any other market, their track record would be considered success. Whether we are willing to admit or not, that tandem has resulted in a lot of post season football and organizational stability. If Terry still wants these two around, the only other person who could affect a change is Josh. Josh is the franchise and when he decides he's heard enough of Clappy, that's when change will happen. 

I am surprised everyone is talking about our offensive roster when our defense has zero impact players. We have no notable pass rushers, tacklers or ball hawks. There is no intimidation factor from our D that requires specific game planning by our opponents, whatsoever. The Von Miller experiment has failed. He's either done or not a fit for our scheme. As there is no other legit sack threat, I suspect our opponents can key on him without fearing an Aaron Donald elsewhere on the LOS.

When you are as close to the top as we are, there is no obvious move to push us the rest of the way. Blowing everything up would set us back a few years.

When you have a great QB, it masks a lot of your deficiencies. Waiting for other team's stars to retire or get old isn't a strategy. We will be dealing with Mahomes, Jackson, Stroud, and Burrow for a decade.

This team is like the Marino era Dolphins - always waiting for our QB to bail them out. Most days he does but if that's all you have as a threat, that's all the opposition needs to focus on. 

The best we can hope for is getting compensatory draft picks for departing veterans and trading those into a position for some playmakers in the draft or FA. 

• Like (+1) 2

17 hours ago, Big Turk said:

This team is simply cursed.  I don't know what else to say.  We are the San Diego Chargers under Philip Rivers at this point.

I'd say the Dan Fouts Chargers or the Warren Moon Oilers because Josh is more like those guys than like Rivers imo. Both HOF guys who never saw a championship game. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

McDermott got outreached by a better HC.  It's always going to happen in a big game like this; the bad teams with lousy HCs don't play in January.

It's been time for a couple of years to get a new HC.

The market is as strong as it's been in a decade.

Go get one and do things differently.

This is obvious.  Will Pegula do it?  I don't think so.

How was McD outcoached?

The Bills came into this game with far more injuries to significant players.   And yet the result was a toss-up.  This game could have gone either way despite the legendary coaching combo (Reid/Spagnuolo) on the other sideline.  Given the comparative health, the Chiefs should have won by double digits.  McD wasn't flawless but he wasn't outcoached.  

• Disagree 1

9 minutes ago, stuvian said:

Unless Terry is all in on the likes of Harbaugh or Belichick, we are keeping Beane and McDermott. In any other market, their track record would be considered success. Whether we are willing to admit or not, that tandem has resulted in a lot of post season football and organizational stability. If Terry still wants these two around, the only other person who could affect a change is Josh. Josh is the franchise and when he decides he's heard enough of Clappy, that's when change will happen. 

I am surprised everyone is talking about our offensive roster when our defense has zero impact players. We have no notable pass rushers, tacklers or ball hawks. There is no intimidation factor from our D that requires specific game planning by our opponents, whatsoever. The Von Miller experiment has failed. He's either done or not a fit for our scheme. As there is no other legit sack threat, I suspect our opponents can key on him without fearing an Aaron Donald elsewhere on the LOS.

When you are as close to the top as we are, there is no obvious move to push us the rest of the way. Blowing everything up would set us back a few years.

When you have a great QB, it masks a lot of your deficiencies. Waiting for other team's stars to retire or get old isn't a strategy. We will be dealing with Mahomes, Jackson, Stroud, and Burrow for a decade.

This team is like the Marino era Dolphins - always waiting for our QB to bail them out. Most days he does but if that's all you have as a threat, that's all the opposition needs to focus on. 

The best we can hope for is getting compensatory draft picks for departing veterans and trading those into a position for some playmakers in the draft or FA. 

I'd target Darnell Mooney in FA and take another wideout in the first round of the draft, maybe Xavier Leggett. I'd even move up if a blue chipper fell. This years WR draft is full of potential #1s but you are risking it if you wait till the later rounds even if there may be some promising guys there too.

• Agree 1

a true #2 for Diggs and Shakir at 3rd WR. Bring in DHop on a friendly deal.

Find a veteran WR or draft another young one.

Combined with Kincaid, Knox, and Cook that'd be nice.

Though, I want a pass catching RB. I do not see Cook as a true pass catching TE. Maybe Hines will be that?

55 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

How was McD outcoached?

The Bills came into this game with far more injuries to significant players.   And yet the result was a toss-up.  This game could have gone either way despite the legendary coaching combo (Reid/Spagnuolo) on the other sideline.  Given the comparative health, the Chiefs should have won by double digits.  McD wasn't flawless but he wasn't outcoached.  

The SCORE made it look like a toss-up, the second half, KC dominated.  They never had to punt and the only reason the Bills even had a shot was pure luck after they set themselves up to be put away.  A fake punt with 10 minutes left in the game on your own 29?  With no actual scheme behind it no less?  Fail.  The bailout comes only because of a fumble that barely happened and snuck out the side of the end zone.  From there they were shooting for the end zone with 2 minutes left on the clock when the prudent play was to take short gains and run the clock out so even if you do settle for a FG, you don’t set Mahomes and the offense you had t stopped all day for an opportunity to win.  McD was clearly out classed, when it mattered, again.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

We have climbed 90% of the way up Everest, arrived at the last base camp before the summit climb, and the decision makers said, good enough. That’s how I view this after the last 4-5 seasons. This regime has plateaued. Five straight seasons of losing in the playoffs in very similar fashion. The other playoff loss in 2017, was similar as well, pre JA. It’s a pattern. 

I believe JA can win multiple rings. I still think he will be better in future seasons, which is saying a lot, the guy is ridiculous, decision making at certain times is his only flaw. But I don’t see it with this regime.

I can’t tell you how much I want to be proven wrong. I just don’t see it.

Hell, maybe the cards will fall our way for once in the next couple seasons, you never know.

• Like (+1) 1

I like McDermott and Beane (I like Beane more than McDermott), but, assuming McDermott and Beane are back, I will have no hopes of next year somehow yielding a different result than the past four seasons.  I don't know if it is coaching, the players, injuries, a combination of all of these things or something else.  It does not matter, because I have no confidence that next year will be any different.

• Like (+1) 1

Pegula really needs to have a sit down session with another NFL team owner, that has been through this before.  Mainly a Robert Kraft or a Stan Kroenke of the Rams.  He really needs some consulting far far away from McD or Beane's whispering or verbal input.

That is the only way he will get the stomach to do the right thing.   But I do not have that high of hope for Pegula because of the Sabres condition since he has owned the team,  its just as bad as it was before he purchased the team.

1 hour ago, stuvian said:

Whether we are willing to admit or not, that tandem has resulted in a lot of post season football and organizational stability.

This cannot be relied upon when evaluating our coaching staff.

You have to ask what it is you are striving for and what you are happy with.

Do you want to win it all?  FOR REAL?  Then we need to move on.

Are you content with how things are? Then McDimwit is fine.

Where does this regime go from here?

Wash, rinse, repeat.  

Win the division, everyone gets excited, then lose in the Divisional Round. 

Oh, and by all means, don't draft a WR, make sure we draft a CB.  

Round 2 another DE.  After all, our OL was perfectly healthy this season, we can count on that again.  (sarcasm)  

3 hours ago, stuvian said:

Without josh allen this team wins 4 games....McDermott is a product of allen period

3 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

How was McD outcoached?

He most certainly was outcoached! Kc made adjustments at halftime...we continued with the same approach even when it was evident the run game wasn't gonna win the game and the short behind the los passing was being bottled up for short or no gains......we made no ADJUSTMENTS AGAIN

• Disagree 1

21 hours ago, Livinginthepast said:

Ultimately it comes down to coaching. Even at the end. McD knows that Bass is struggling and so does Brady. Why did we even kick there?? ? Even if Bass gets the FG we probably lose this game because the Chiefs get into winning FG range easily when they get the ball back. Once we didnt get the touchdown we lost.

McD just isnt up to the job when it comes to these high stress crucial decisions.

....and he never will be...Sean has no clue how to stop offenses in the playoffs. Andy and Mahomes absolutely own him.  Burrow owns him.  I just can't get excited or optimistic anymore with him running this team. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I think McDermott has done a good, solid job - and we're an annual contender now.

But man - the greatest coach of all time is available.  The guy was in the SB every other year - and quite a few times w/ teams worse than what we have.  He loves Allen, and would love to be able to beat the Pats twice a year.

Hiring him would be an immediate change in mindset, energy & culture.  If he coached for at least 3 years, we'd make the SB.  That's basically a guarantee.

Fortune favors the bold.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.