The pass to Johnson at the end of the first half...

eball

10 hours ago, eball said:

...ok, so first of all, we KNOW Josh should have only thrown the ball to a guy in the endzone or thrown it away.  That was a mistake.  But if you get past that, it was a good throw to an open guy and it looked like Johnson was going to score until Baker blew him up with a helmet to helmet hit at the goal line.  Why no flag there?   It was blatant and knocked Johnson out of the game with a concussion.

I honestly think that it wasn’t necessarily the wrong call

If the receiver gets a little lower and extends the ball over the end zone it’s a touchdown he just happened to run into two defenders right at the end zone and they made a good play

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, motorj said:

I feel a dive over the defender with arms stretched out gets the score, if it gets fumbled before it hits the line then it gets fumbled but he tried to lower his helmet instead and got put to the ground

I think it was lack of awareness. I don’t think Johnson realized it was the last play of the half. If he had a do-over he’s probably diving with the ball stretched out.

• Disagree 2

Let’s just talk about the math. Regarding expected value of the throw, if Josh thought there was a greater than 42% chance of scoring the TD and he had no other options in the end zone, it was objectively correct to make the throw that he did.

On my watch, at the time he let go it looked like it was more likely than not to result in a TD.

The only argument against throwing that ball that would be acceptable is the argument that the odds of scoring were lower than 42%, but I didn’t see it that way. If you think the touchdown was more likely than that and still think he shouldn’t have thrown it, I’d like to know why.

6 hours ago, ExWNYer said:

Had he dropped the ball, yes, but he caught it. The call would have been an unsportsmanlike penalty and would have been tacked on in addition to the yardage gained, not an "either or".

Total brain cramp on my part as I completely ignored that it was a catch. Thanks for the clarification. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Eastport bills said:

Everyone who’s being objective asks the same question. That and the obvious PI on Knox in the end zone right before Josh throws the pick on the 1st drive, are 2 missed calls that could have changed the outcome. Bills could have been up 21 to 7 at the half instead of down 14 to 7.

If Knox were Travis Kelce, a flag would have been thrown.

9 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I'm more disappointed in Ty for running such a shallow route. It should've been deeper putting him at the goal-line on contact. At least giving him a chance to extend the ball.

I think this part needs to be talked about more.  I think I saw an angle where Ty flattened his route out after the pick happened instead of continuing to run to the goal line.  I think that this was a perfectly designed play and that if his route was a bit better, he would have caught the ball already in the end zone. 

Edited by Johnnychimpo017
typo

18 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

This is football, not tiddlywinks. I'm fine with the hit given the situation. I wouldn't want them getting a flag if that was our D making the stop.

As for Josh, that cost us at least 3 points. Also the first INT to nobody in the end zone was another 3. Also the sack fumble was possibly another 3. That's 9 points Josh alone cost us. Yes he also scored some points but we won't have the luxury to give up 9 points to the good teams in the playoffs

Correct. Josh should be benched for the right Allen. 

• Eyeroll 1

9 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

I'm going to take a different approach here beck... And say I don't even have a problem with the tackle

Everybody is clamoring for a penalty....

I'm sure there is helmet helmet contact.. but there is on every play...

For their positioning and momentum I don't think it really warrants a penalty

I would be furious if Micah Hyde got called for that

He doesn't lead with the crown of his helmet and they both lower their head into contact... This is a division title on the line and the boys were physical

Josh Is 100% coached endzone or out of bounds... But man when you're given that... So close to being a touchdown

In division 1 that is a touchdown... 

The speed of the NFL man... What a great game

I don’t think you see Micah Hyde get called for that because he doesn’t launch in helmet-first.  It’s why he’s still playing into his 30s.

With respect, I think you’re looking at that play with the eyes of someone who played in an earlier time.  The NFL has (publicly) said, no helmet to helmet hits and we don’t care whether or not it was intentional, figure it out.  By rule, it was a penalty and it should have been called, along with the Piggy Back Ride DPI mugging of Knox.

It didn’t and so it goes.  But the NFL can’t really say it cares about player safety, no helmet to helmet hits, and then let that one slide.

First and foremost: Bad play design/play call. When you look back at the replay, the Bills had ZERO receivers in the end zone. How can you throw the ball into the end zone when none of our players are there.

After that, bad decision by Josh. Should have thrown it through the back of the end zone and lived to fight another day.

It was obvious to everyone what the situation was. 2 shots at/through the end zone, and then a field goal if those dont work out. We have at least 3 guaranteed points there that we can NOT let slip away.

Yet ONCE AGAIN, the ugly monster of "situational football" bites the Bills in the ass. There needs to be clear and direct communication from our Head Coach to the QB that he is to ONLY throw it to or through the end zone. No matter what.

But McD and properly coaching situation football just doesnt happen.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

23 hours ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

Let’s be honest, nobody was thinking about helmet to helmet til the replay.  Both players ducked for leverage and the defender won.  

That was an unreal tackle by the Dolphins, hard to blame Allen or Johnson there. If that was a Bills defender, I'd be absolutely rattled if they threw a flag there. 

On 1/10/2024 at 3:37 PM, MikePJ76 said:

I have not seen it announced anywhere but has Baker been given a fine yet for the hit?

Fines seem to always be announced on Saturdays. Maybe that's the day pay checks go out??

I'll bet if that play is ran 10 times, 9 times, the Bills score.

I think with it being the end of the half, with the running clock, the refs were distracted by more trying to spot the ball quickly so no complaints from the Bills and watching the clock.  Likely too in situations like with clock potentially running out, that the ref's have different priorities to watch for rather than than what they'd be doing in a normal play with say 8 minutes left on clock.  No excuse, but think that was the reality. 

11 hours ago, Beck Water said:

I don’t think you see Micah Hyde get called for that because he doesn’t launch in helmet-first.  It’s why he’s still playing into his 30s.

With respect, I think you’re looking at that play with the eyes of someone who played in an earlier time.  The NFL has (publicly) said, no helmet to helmet hits and we don’t care whether or not it was intentional, figure it out.  By rule, it was a penalty and it should have been called, along with the Piggy Back Ride DPI mugging of Knox.

It didn’t and so it goes.  But the NFL can’t really say it cares about player safety, no helmet to helmet hits, and then let that one slide.

I understand what you're saying beck i do ...

But is the rule actually zero helmet to helmet contact allowed? Or is it this weird quasi rule

That says no forceful helmet to helmet contact? Making it a judgment call....

I'm generally 99% correct with the rules but this is one they change so often and I haven't bothered looking it up... 

And sure it's certainly was a forceful hit... But, does ty Johnson also not lower his head? 

I haven't watched the replay a thousand times but from what I did see... I felt like they both dipped their heads into contact

If they call the penalty I absolutely wouldn't be up in arms... But that player who got suspended for helmet to helmet contact I thought was truly an egregious penalty 

Compared to the one in the Bills game... 

But like my father says... And you have no idea how hard it is to talk football with an elderly man who thinks he knows more than you lol and he may have at one point and taught me everything but those days are past lol

He said son... A penalty is a penalty... And if you're a referee your job is to throw that flag... Regardless of your feelings 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.