WGR owner Audacy files for bankruptcy

PromoTheRobot

More gambling commercials.  The block of commercials at the top and bottom of each hour expanded by 100%.  Entire WGR AM staff replaced by second year  Buff State journalism students,  working for minimum wage plus 25 cents an hour.  Bulldog's remote studio suddenly quits working.  And by the time the host finishes with the underwriter ads ("coming to you from Dunn Tire Studios"), there's no time for listener calls.  OK, one good consequence.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Haha (+1) 2

Good I hope all these big national radio corporations go bankrupt and get split up. It would be great to have hometown radio again. Someone in corporate suit in New York or Los Angeles has no idea nor do they care to know what Buffalo wants locally in radio today in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

• Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Well, their app couldn’t possibly get any worse, could it? 

I listen to Bills games occasionally on Audacy and website has been better than in previous years.

Do not have very good phone so only have apps necessary.

I'm not a 'GR guy but I am a routine listener of WBEN which is owned by Audacy.

I hope WBEN emerges unscathed from this--they are the best source of emergency information during a storm. WBEN was the source that told me of the 2022 Blizzard driving ban. I turned the car around and went straight home--WBEN probably saved me from being stranded somewhere.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, boater said:

I'm not a 'GR guy but I am a routine listener of WBEN which is owned by Audacy.

I hope WBEN emerges unscathed from this--they are the best source of emergency information during a storm. WBEN was the source that told me of the 2022 Blizzard driving ban. I turned the car around and went straight home--WBEN probably saved me from being stranded somewhere.

WBEN is fortunate to still be a functioning news station. People think no one listens to AM anymore, but WBEN is still a top ratings station in Buffalo. Why? Because they never gave people a reason to stop listening.

• Like (+1) 2

21 hours ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

Good I hope all these big national radio corporations go bankrupt and get split up. It would be great to have hometown radio again. Someone in corporate suit in New York or Los Angeles has no idea nor do they care to know what Buffalo wants locally in radio today in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

About a decade ago a country music station in Rochester was struggling and about to go under. I believe it was WBEE.

The radio program manager made an amazing decision that was laughed upon at the time. He was planning to play new music regularly but older music of the last 30-40 years included just as much. You'd hear Cody Montana or Dierks Elway or whoever TF is popular now in country music then here a classic by Dolly Parton or Conway Twitty.  They'd do a Tim McGraw song that was #27 for 1 week in '96 before the #1 song currently.

It revolutionized FM country music. It is now the format to follow across the country. 

This is what small town media needs to offer. We need to let the national news syndications die off. Gannett, US today network, all of that. Reuters & the AP can exist because they don't filter the news to the consumer just provide a source for the story. But CNN, Fox, Spectrum, all of it needs to be flushed!

On 1/9/2024 at 10:40 PM, Buffalo Super Fan said:

Don't count on it... the industry is still not done radically changing and it's not going to include a return to local managed radio broadcasting. In fact, it will probably be just as corporate as ever. AM radio is on its way out, making it even more inevitable.

You wonder what the future is, but I don't think it's great for WGR55 as we know it (and probably WBEN as well).

It has amazed me for a number of years that they would retain such high salaries (Im sure) of Schopp and the Bulldog and people like that, when you can get closer to entry-level people and pay them a fraction of the amount to talk sports.  Honestly, the younger guys on the station have always been fine in my opinion, and always hungrier and put more effort into consuming and researching sports.

• Agree 3

https://www.thestreet.com/retail/what-audacys-chapter-11-bankruptcy-means-for-your-radio-stations

"Through the restructuring, Audacy and its debtholders will undertake a deleveraging transaction to equitize approximately $1.6 billion of funded debt, a reduction of 80% from approximately $1.9 billion to approximately $350 million. The company does not expect any operational impact from the restructuring, and trade and other unsecured creditors will not be impaired," 

Uh... what?

28 minutes ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

All Audacy station staffers now also work for Kelly Services.  You might be afternoon drive time in Schnectady, and be filling donuts at Dunkin Donuts midnight to 6 a.m. 🥱😴

On 1/11/2024 at 4:03 PM, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

All Audacy station staffers now also work for Kelly Services.  You might be afternoon drive time in Schnectady, and be filling donuts at Dunkin Donuts midnight to 6 a.m. 🥱😴

This de-leveraging maneuver by Audacy Corporation brought to you by Naturally Nude Pajamas!  Naturally Nude, the gift she is sure to love.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 1/11/2024 at 3:31 PM, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

I may be way off but it sounds like they are paying off their debt by making the companies they owe money to shareholders in audacy.    While they may not have operational impact in terms of the shows still being on the air you can bet they will cut staff and costs.  

Edited by thenorthremembers

On 1/10/2024 at 6:27 PM, Bob Lamb said:

Bring Back Chuck Dickerson

Man, that dude had a personal vendetta against Glen Parker for sure … and I’m surprised he didn’t glue a headset to Wade Phillips’ dome 😂

11 hours ago, RiotAct said:

This de-leveraging maneuver by Audacy Corporation brought to you by Naturally Nude Pajamas!  Naturally Nude, the gift she is sure to love.

I get a chuckle out of Schopp reading that ad copy 😂

The Audacy app is my path into WGR, so I appreciate it overall...but man do I hope the new owners put their foot down on terrible ads. If I hear that "not to loooonnnggg if you think abooouutt iiiiit" zen den drone or the overly frantic "NOT MATTER HOW MUCH DUCT TAPE YOU UUUSSSSEE" kid one more time, I'll drown a puppy.

[editor's note - I will not drown a puppy]

With the Bills now out of the playoffs, I was discussing with a gearhead friend if this means WGR might go back to being "your racing station in Buffalo."  His contention was that NASCAR (or CASHCAR, as he calls it) asks too much for broadcast rights.  It was a disingenuous statement by WGR anyways, since the NASCAR broadcasts were routinely pre-empted by anything from tiddlywinks tournaments and up.  Audacy's financial picture probably translates into more infomercial programming for gambling.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.