Wild Card Weekend - Wild Card Weather

9 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

local travel ban lifted 2 hours ago bro--could have driven hours ago.

Should have been driving hours ago so that he would have arrived near when the bans were gonna be lifted.

Amateur. We'll learn him tho.

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Should have been driving hours ago so that he would have arrived near when the bans were gonna be lifted.

Amateur. We'll learn him tho.

yup.  could have been at Henrietta exit hours ago and in his hotel room by now.  

They have cars in the city....

I'm like a mile and a half from the stadium and we're buried in like four feet of snow out here. Haven't seen a plow whatsoever. Plenty of people snowblowing their driveways so they can reach the buried street, I guess? 

Lotta people with tickets aren't gonna make it out there today. 

Dammit...another Lake Snow event starting today and another 24-30" expected for Buffalo Metro...heaviest snow being tonight thru tomorrow night. 🤬 

Then of course it will all melt by next week when temps rebound into the low 40s. 😐

On 1/16/2024 at 11:44 AM, Einstein said:

Just learned today that THESE exist. Custom built snowblowers that fit inbetween stadium seating.

Why in the world do the Bills not own 20 of them?

Because it's probably good for a dusting to light fall

Not the 2-3 ft that are in some of the sections...

It also says custom built so that means the company did it special for the Packers... Like it's not a shelf product 

Edited by Buffalo716

7 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Because it's probably good for a dusting to light fall

Not the 2-3 ft that are in some of the sections...

The idea is to not let it accumulate to 2-3 feet in the first place. And with snowblowers, you can easily make that happen. Besides, I don’t think Green Bay (who averages just a few inches less of snow fall per year than Buffalo) ordered snowblowers only capable of handling a “light dusting”. It’s a professional model snow-thro that costs $2k each.

But even if it took several rounds of snow-blowing, it would be a far more efficient method than humans with shovels.

7 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

It also says custom built so that means the company did it special for the Packers... Like it's not a shelf product 

Well, yeah…

You don’t think the multi-billion dollar Bills could have them custom made too? Of course they could. 

“(The manufacturer) says the Bills haven't contacted him, and vice versa. "I'd love to try and build some for Buffalo. We personally look at Buffalo as a very good snowblower market for our product. We kind of look at Buffalo as like sort of the Green Bay of the AFC right with all the snow that we both get," says Ariens.”

Edited by Einstein
  • Agree 3

9 hours ago, Einstein said:

The idea is to not let it accumulate to 2-3 feet in the first place. And with snowblowers, you can easily make that happen. Besides, I don’t think Green Bay (who averages just a few inches less of snow fall per year than Buffalo) ordered snowblowers only capable of handling a “light dusting”. It’s a professional model snow-thro that costs $2k each.

But even if it took several rounds of snow-blowing, it would be a far more efficient method than humans with shovels.

Well, yeah…

You don’t think the multi-billion dollar Bills could have them custom made too? Of course they could. 

“(The manufacturer) says the Bills haven't contacted him, and vice versa. "I'd love to try and build some for Buffalo. We personally look at Buffalo as a very good snowblower market for our product. We kind of look at Buffalo as like sort of the Green Bay of the AFC right with all the snow that we both get," says Ariens.”

That's obviously very true

Nothing is stopping the bills from contacting them

12 hours ago, Einstein said:

Well, yeah…

Firstly, you obviously don't live in this area, nor have much experience with actually dealing with large quantities of snow at once.

Let's address these points.

1) Not a single person is going to be outside "snowblowing" with 50 mph winds during a whiteout. WTF are you talking about? It would be pointless since the snow would just blow right back at you. Not to mention that your eyes would be stinging from the snow blinding you.

Even just in heavy lake bands without wind, the snow is falling so fast that by the time you clear a row and get to the end of that section it will look like you never even did anything. Even snowplows just give up at that point, because they can't keep up.

It is far more efficient to clear one area after 3 feet of snow falling than to clear an area 3 times after one foot of snow falls. Clearing 3 feet is not 3x the effort as clearing 1 foot in practice. This is where theory doesn't hold in practice. Now if we are talking about 6 feet of snow? Then yes, clearing 3 feet twice is definitely more practical than trying to clear 6 feet at once due to limitations of snowblowers.

But sure, go try it sometime and report back how that works for you. Probably will have to travel a while to find a suitable location to test it out tho I am betting.

2) Green Bay gets far less snow than Buffalo, not "just a few inches less". Buffalo averages 95+ inches a year(at the airport), Green Bay averages 51 inches. If we are talking where the Bills Stadium is in OP they get around 130-140 inches a year, which is nearly triple GB. OP has over 6 feet on the ground over the last week. Or about 20+ inches more than Green Bay gets in a typical year.

Buffalo is 2 time defending winner of the National Golden Snowglobe Award, given to the the US city with the most snow and over 100K population. We also hold the record for most snowfall in a single season for a city of over 100K people with 199.4 inches. Which is basically 4 times what GB would get in a typical year.

Know how many times GB has ever won this award? Exactly ZERO times. We are going for a three peat this year, but likely too far behind Anchorage to catch them.

3) The field isn't the issue that's easy to clean, it's the seats/rows. Exactly how do you plan to take a snowblower down rows of seats and stairs? This makes absolutely no sense. Why would you think a place that has almost triple the amount of snow as Green Bay wouldn't be far better at clearing it?

Edited by Big Turk

7 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Firstly, you obviously don't live in this area, nor have much experience with actually dealing with large quantities of snow at once.

Let's address these points.

1) Not a single person is going to be outside "snowblowing" with 50 mph winds during a whiteout. WTF are you talking about? It would be pointless since the snow would just blow right back at you. Not to mention that your eyes would be stinging from the snow blinding you. But sure, go try it sometime and report back how that works for you. Probably will have to travel a while to find a suitable location to test it out tho I am betting.

2) Green Bay gets far less snow than Buffalo, not "just a few inches less". Buffalo averages 95+ inches a year(at the airport), Green Bay averages 51 inches. If we are talking where the Bills Stadium is in OP they get around 130-140 inches a year, which is nearly triple GB. OP has over 6 feet on the ground over the last week. Or about 20+ inches more than Green Bay gets in a typical year.

Buffalo is 2 time defending winner of the National Golden Snowglobe Award, given to the the US city with the most snow and over 100K population. We also hold the record for most snowfall in a single season for a city of over 100K people with 199.4 inches. Which is basically 4 times what GB would get in a typical year.

Know how many times GB has ever won this award? Exactly ZERO times. We are going for a three peat this year, but likely too far behind Anchorage to catch them.

3) The field isn't the issue that's easy to clean, it's the seats/rows. Exactly how do you plan to take a snowblower down rows of seats and stairs? This makes absolutely no sense. Why would you think a place that has almost triple the amount of snow as Green Bay wouldn't be far better at clearing it?

Those are valid points 

8 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Oh yeah. Definitely haven’t moved any large quantities of snow.

I keep my plow truck around for funsies.

IMG-6668.jpg

IMG-6667.jpg

Not a single person is going to be outside "snowblowing" with 50 mph winds during a whiteout. WTF are you talking about? It would be pointless since the snow would just blow right back at you. Not to mention that your eyes would be stinging from the snow blinding you. But sure, go try it sometime and report back how that works for you. Probably will have to travel a while to find a suitable location to test it out tho I am betting.

Yeah the one day where wind is blowing 50mph they would probably have to sit out. Darn.

Gosh I can’t wait to bump this post when the Bills announce they bought snowblowers lol.

The exact same way it’s done in other stadiums. With the wheels that act as pivot points to go down and up the stairs (like a dolly). 

IMG-6625.jpg

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

Oh yeah. Definitely haven’t moved any large quantities of snow.

I keep my plow truck around for funsies.

IMG-6668.jpg

IMG-6667.jpg

Yeah the one day where wind is blowing 50mph they would probably have to sit out. Darn.

Gosh I can’t wait to bump this post when the Bills announce they bought snowblowers lol.

The exact same way it’s done in other stadiums. With the wheels that act as pivot points to go down and up the stairs (like a dolly). 

IMG-6625.jpg

Works a lot better with 3 inches of snow in the picture than 3 feet

44 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Works a lot better with 3 inches of snow in the picture than 3 feet

According to the manufacturer, that’s a pro-model thrower than costs $2k per piece. Their pro-model throwers can handle 2+ feet of snow and throw it up to 20 yards away. They said they can make them for Buffalo too 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by Einstein

On 1/12/2024 at 9:26 AM, Big Turk said:

There is increasing thought the lake snows could extend into Monday and possibly even Tuesday now.

This is going to be a rough winter week in WNY. Can't really complain, we have gotten off Scott Free all winter so far and the lake is at a record warm temperature right now so that was kind of foreboding as it was.

Well...that turned out to be prophetic...

Lancaster/Depew area we got near 60 inches and the West Seneca/OP/Hamburg area got 75-80 inches between the 2 events.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.