Bills at Dolphins post game thread

HappyDays

2 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

they act petulant when it's not as pretty as they like.

You mean this board after a loss? - or after a win with low "style points" 😛 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

No one's talking about it because we won but why did the refs give Allen such a bad spot on the last 4th down QB sneak? I was livid. Not only that but McDermott didn't even throw the red flag. 

Glad the defense stepped up in the end but we shouldn't have needed it. The game should've already been over.

1 minute ago, Wayne Arnold said:

No one's talking about it because we won but why did the refs give Allen such a bad spot on the last 4th down QB sneak? I was livid. Not only that but McDermott didn't even throw the red flag. 

Glad the defense stepped up in the end but we shouldn't have needed it. The game should've already been over.

I can't quite remember, but wasn't that the first play inside the 2-minute warning?  Coaches can't challenge after that.  I agree it was a horrible spot, and I think it's exactly what the league wanted:  to create drama in the last two minutes.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

If anyone can get him to do it McDermott can, not advocating just saying the guy develops DBs not named Elam extremely well and maybe Elam depending on how that injury effected him.

Does he tho?

I've believed this as well, but the more seasons we go through, the less I'm believing it.

Poyer and Hyde came into the team as seasoned vets.

Tre White played how a 1st round pick should play.

That set the tone that "McD knows DBs"

But looking at the DBs they've drafted or signed as UDFAs since:

Levi Wallace, Jaquan Johnson, Damar Hamlin, Cam Lewis, Siran Neal, Dane Jackson, Rachad Wildgoose, Nick McCloud, Kaiir Elam, Christian Benford.

Not sure who was really developed there, or did we just luck into Benford, and kinda into some decent backups with Jackson, Lewis, Neal?

edit: Just realized I left out Taron Johnson, which to be fair is definitely a big plus in McD's book. So there's ONE for him.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Dislike 1

11 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

For those who say the D won the game, I don't disagree.

But, if you're old enough, think back to how the Giants beat us in the Super Bowl.  They held our high-flying offense to 19 points mostly by controlling time of possession and not letting us have the ball.  We scored a point per minute of possession that game.  That's good production.  We just didn't possess the ball very much because our defense kept allowing their offense to convert on third down.  

Yesterday, the Fins only held the ball for 21 minutes.  While the turnovers certainly hurt us, our offense gained 26 first downs and 473 yards. 

Our offense contributed more than the 14 points they scored.  Their drives kept Miami's boy-genius-led, high-scoring offense off the field.  

Speaking of Bill Parcells he always had a rule/guideline that an offense should have 7 points for every 100 yards of offense.

I personally love the way this team is playing and I love that when they get the ball back with a lead now in that 5 minute situation they are 100% playing to physically beat you up and run it out and make the opponent use timeouts and they are not afraid to go back on defense in that situation.  I have been waiting for them to play like this for a while.  I love it.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Does he tho?

I've believed this as well, but the more seasons we go through, the less I'm believing it.

Poyer and Hyde came into the team as seasoned vets.

Tre White played how a 1st round pick should play.

That set the tone that "McD knows DBs"

But looking at the DBs they've drafted or signed as UDFAs since:

Levi Wallace, Jaquan Johnson, Damar Hamlin, Cam Lewis, Siran Neal, Dane Jackson, Rachad Wildgoose, Nick McCloud, Kaiir Elam, Christian Benford.

Not sure who was really developed there, or did we just luck into Benford, and kinda into some decent backups with Jackson, Lewis, Neal?

Levi Wallace doesn't get the contract he got without McD.

Benford and Jackson have both played well above their draft status. Wildgoose got pouched but played some meaningful NFL snaps. 

I think he's pretty good at maximizing CB play with scheme/development. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

12 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

The announcers commented on it and said that it was after the whistles were already blowing or some such and they gave him the furthest spot he achieved before the whistles.  Which may have been true, but simply brings up the question of why the whistles were suffering from "premature ejeculation".

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Beck Water said:

The announcers commented on it and said that it was after the whistles were already blowing or some such and they gave him the furthest spot he achieved before the whistles.  Which may have been true, but simply brings up the question of why the whistles were suffering from "premature ejeculation".

Even when they showed the replay it was like um it looks like he got right to the first down, and if he does that's all he needs. But not throwing the challenge flag was the right call, challenging a spot almost never works and who knows we might need that time out for our own shenanigans.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

Levi Wallace doesn't get the contract he got without McD.

Benford and Jackson have both played well above their draft status. Wildgoose got pouched but played some meaningful NFL snaps. 

I think he's pretty good at maximizing CB play with scheme/development. 

Levi Wallace. Dane Jackson. Christian Benford.

Getting an 6th, 7th and USDA to be a #2CB/spot #1 could be lucky if it happens once. Three times? It has to be partially coaching/scheme

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Pass interference,defensive holding and ball spotting are all home field advantage decisions. I'm convinced the refs are influenced subconciously.

I've felt like there's been something off with this team for more than a season. I guess you could say it's felt like they've been playing "tight".

It may just be wishful thinking, but it felt like after winning yesterday.. they had something lifted off of them and the comments/body language felt a lot different after the game.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Levi Wallace. Dane Jackson. Christian Benford.

Getting an 6th, 7th and USDA to be a #2CB/spot #1 could be lucky if it happens once. Three times? It has to be partially coaching/scheme

At this point, I just ASSUME that the Bills are going to draft or sign a late round or UDFA corner every single year that's going to be a baller. There are always prospects who have good size, zone eyes, and the willingness to tackle, but who fall on draft day due to below average measurables. Beane's staff is incredible at finding them, and McDermott's staff is incredible at coaching them up.

Alex Austin looks to be another one, but unfortunately the Patriots stole him from us. No matter. We'll just find another this year.

• Agree 2

It ultimately doesn't matter because the Bills won, but I just want to say for the record...

The refs were absolutely awful last night. They seemed intent on screwing the Bills at every turn.

The Knox PI no-call that likely cost us 7. The targeting/helmet-to-helmet against Johnson that may also have cost us 7. The holding no-call on the Achange TD run. Some of the 4th quarter ball spots.

Just an all-around atrocious effort by the officials -- again -- in a season chock full of them.

• Agree 4

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

At this point, I just ASSUME that the Bills are going to draft or sign a late round or UDFA corner every single year that's going to be a baller. There are always prospects who have good size, zone eyes, and the willingness to tackle, but who fall on draft day due to below average measurables. Beane's staff is incredible at finding them, and McDermott's staff is incredible at coaching them up.

Alex Austin looks to be another one, but unfortunately the Patriots stole him from us. No matter. We'll just find another this year.

Right it feels like printing money at this point.

1 minute ago, Logic said:

I still do think that the team scheme needs a #1 CB, to hold steady, but I think Douglas can be that for a few more years.

As you said, guys who don't have elite measurables, one on one burst (and get away with DPI) drop or don't get major contacts. I think we can fill up the back end for some time to come.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.