Patriots at Bills 1993

Buffalo03

Continuing ahead with upcoming opponents where we are playing them the coming week, I am going with Patriots at Bills from the season opener of 1993. I remember watching this game as a 7 year old. I just started really getting into football the year before and was ready to put my stake into the Bills as my favorite team. We have a big season opening party at our apartment that my mom and dad had then to watch this game. This was Drew Bledsoe's first game in the NFL and Bill Parcells's first as Patriots head coach. The Bills welcomed Bledsoe to the NFL in this game en route to a 38-14 win. The Bills dominated in all phases of this game. Andre Reed caught a long TD and Cornelius Bennett started to return a fumble and nearly got it all the way to the end zone but then he fumbled and I remember my uncle going nuts. If any of you were at this game and would like to share your experience, feel free. Let's hope we get a big much needed win this week and the other help we need to clinch and hopefully have a shot that the division next week. Happy New Year and as always....Go Bills

• Thank you (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

Also of significance the debut of the new uniforms for the Patriots(which as a kid I have to admit I actually liked...I'm talking about the uniforms not the Patriots lol)

I do remember that as well. I forgot to mention that in my post

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo03 said:

Yes exactly. That has always been the one play from this game that sticks out

For me it’s Bruce’s sack where he just engulfed Bledsoe from behind. Iconic moment. Pic below, altho I can’t find anything else in a quick Google search… odd. Welcome to the NFL, rookie.

1 hour ago, BillsPride12 said:

Also of significance the debut of the new uniforms for the Patriots(which as a kid I have to admit I actually liked...I'm talking about the uniforms not the Patriots lol)

Yep, always liked this uni set from the Pats*. The grey facemasks look much better than the red they switched to the next year. It just makes it look better as a standalone piece, but they wanted to tie it into the rest of the uni / team colors. Also, the pants stripe emulating the flags / streams of the logo were a nice unique touch that they changed to bland stripes. And there’s something about the royal blue that’s lost when they went to navy… but in the same breath it is nice to have some defined color differentiation b/w our teams in the same division.

Yeah, it was this one… altho I can’t find a better one in a quick google search. Hmm.

IMG_9346.jpeg

Edited by UConn James
  • Agree 1

Thanks for this! The late 80’s-mid 90’s was our finest era. Unlike today’s team, those teams were a MACHINE! Offense, Defense and STs.

P.S. I still hate NE!* I hated the Boston Patriots from ‘63 and nothings changed since then.

Edited by Chandler#81
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

I was at this game.  Can't recall if this was the game where they brought the shout song back after they experimented with some hideous fight songs after touchdowns.  I've never heard such loud boos in a preseason game.  It was wild. 

Was that when they tried the Marv Levy "go Bills song"?

2 hours ago, UConn James said:

For me it’s Bruce’s sack where he just engulfed Bledsoe from behind. Iconic moment. Pic below, altho I can’t find anything else in a quick Google search… odd. Welcome to the NFL, rookie.

Yep, always liked this uni set from the Pats*. The grey facemasks look much better than the red they switched to the next year. It just makes it look better as a standalone piece, but they wanted to tie it into the rest of the uni / team colors. Also, the pants stripe emulating the flags / streams of the logo were a nice unique touch that they changed to bland stripes. And there’s something about the royal blue that’s lost when they went to navy… but in the same breath it is nice to have some defined color differentiation b/w our teams in the same division.

Yeah, it was this one… altho I can’t find a better one in a quick google search. Hmm.

IMG_9346.jpeg

Bad things, man. Baaaadd things

29 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Was that when they tried the Marv Levy "go Bills song"?

Go Bills fight Bills go lol

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

Continuing ahead with upcoming opponents where we are playing them the coming week, I am going with Patriots at Bills from the season opener of 1993. I remember watching this game as a 7 year old. I just started really getting into football the year before and was ready to put my stake into the Bills as my favorite team. We have a big season opening party at our apartment that my mom and dad had then to watch this game. This was Drew Bledsoe's first game in the NFL and Bill Parcells's first as Patriots head coach. The Bills welcomed Bledsoe to the NFL in this game en route to a 38-14 win. The Bills dominated in all phases of this game. Andre Reed caught a long TD and Cornelius Bennett started to return a fumble and nearly got it all the way to the end zone but then he fumbled and I remember my uncle going nuts. If any of you were at this game and would like to share your experience, feel free. Let's hope we get a big much needed win this week and the other help we need to clinch and hopefully have a shot that the division next week. Happy New Year and as always....Go Bills

I remember that game, was the beginning of the upswing for the team the high point for Bledsoe being the 1996 SB. 

4 hours ago, RiotAct said:

Nice.

I was at the home tilt against the Pats the following season where Ben Coates had a monster game against us.

The headline in the Buffalo News the next morning read “ COATES TAKES BILLS TO CLEANERS”.

I always remember Chris Berman calling him "Ben Winter Coates"

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.