The 2024 Thanks and Optimism Thread

WhitewalkerInPhilly

After a...let's call it tumultuous January 2023 and beyond, I would like to take a moment at the end of the year and say the things I am optimistic about going forward. I can get down, but I think it's nice to pick out the good and be reminded of it.

• Terrell Bernard. If you told me that Milano would go down at the quarter pole, I would have assumed that the LB group was doomed. I had highlighted Bernard as the biggest weakness in our defense in preseason and HO BOY was I wrong. He might not have Edmund's physical gifts, but his instinct and playmaking cannot be denied. I was expecting a downgrade and they got an upgrade instead.
  • 2023 draft hits. Kincaid and Torrence have stepped in and been productive from the start. The thing is, I think they still can get even better.
  • Spencer Brown finally took the jump. I am not saying he's now an All-Pro, but I was legitimately worried when Knox went down. 
  • James Cook. Holy crow, I think he might now be our most explosive threat. There is a more than reasonable chance that he breaks 1000 yards rushing (already done) and 500 yards receiving. Those are early Christian McCaffery numbers! Yes, he has some fumbling issue but this is something Josh has never had in his career.
  • Rasul Douglass looks like a steal of a trade.
  • Ed Oliver has been a monster. After a history of big D-line signings not working out (Dareus, Mario, arguable Von) it was nice to see him really be a force.
  • Joe Brady has been a welcome breath of fresh air and I am reminding myself that this is without even installing his own defense. He's mostly been pulling from what Dorsey installed (what Daboll installed). Again, the test of a good OC how long you adapt over time. Lots of guys have good 1/2 season stretches. But in our limited sample size, we've seen him go out of his way to attack a defenses deficiencies. The Chargers game was the first I've seen where he got punched in the mouth but didn't panic and adjusted.

I am sure I missed things, but I would love to hear what other people have.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 6

1 hour ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

After a...let's call it tumultuous January 2023 and beyond, I would like to take a moment at the end of the year and say the things I am optimistic about going forward. I can get down, but I think it's nice to pick out the good and be reminded of it.

• Terrell Bernard. If you told me that Milano would go down at the quarter pole, I would have assumed that the LB group was doomed. I had highlighted Bernard as the biggest weakness in our defense in preseason and HO BOY was I wrong. He might not have Edmund's physical gifts, but his instinct and playmaking cannot be denied. I was expecting a downgrade and they got an upgrade instead.
  • 2023 draft hits. Kincaid and Torrence have stepped in and been productive from the start. The thing is, I think they still can get even better.
  • Spencer Brown finally took the jump. I am not saying he's now an All-Pro, but I was legitimately worried when Knox went down. 
  • James Cook. Holy crow, I think he might now be our most explosive threat. There is a more than reasonable chance that he breaks 1000 yards rushing (already done) and 500 yards receiving. Those are early Christian McCaffery numbers! Yes, he has some fumbling issue but this is something Josh has never had in his career.
  • Rasul Douglass looks like a steal of a trade.
  • Ed Oliver has been a monster. After a history of big D-line signings not working out (Dareus, Mario, arguable Von) it was nice to see him really be a force.
  • Joe Brady has been a welcome breath of fresh air and I am reminding myself that this is without even installing his own defense. He's mostly been pulling from what Dorsey installed (what Daboll installed). Again, the test of a good OC how long you adapt over time. Lots of guys have good 1/2 season stretches. But in our limited sample size, we've seen him go out of his way to attack a defenses deficiencies. The Chargers game was the first I've seen where he got punched in the mouth but didn't panic and adjusted.

I am sure I missed things, but I would love to hear what other people have.

I am thankful that the Mario Williams signing is still regarded as “not working out” when the man had 38 sacks in 3 years, along with 2 All-Pro and 2 Pro Bowl nods, while Von is “arguable” having not yet played a full season for the Buffalo Football Bills.

Otherwise I would have nothing to nitpick. 

• Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Agreed on all fronts.

I’ll add:

-christian Benford continues to look like a steal.  A perfect low cost CB2 to play opposite Douglas the next two seasons.  

-Tyrel Dodson-  wow.  The biggest surprise of the year.  When Milano went out, I wasn’t worried about Bernard.  I was scared to death of TD25.  He’s responded and made himself some money this offseason.  

-our DL has saved our season.  Without their collaborative effort and McDs scheming sacks with brining LBs and Ss, our season would be down the toilet.  Bad part is- the majority of the DL are FAs. 

- the OL was 💩 vs LAC, but they’ve all outplayed their salaries this season imo.  I think we have a solid foundation. 

• Like (+1) 4

12 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Agreed on all fronts.

I’ll add:

-christian Benford continues to look like a steal.  A perfect low cost CB2 to play opposite Douglas the next two seasons.  

-Tyrel Dodson-  wow.  The biggest surprise of the year.  When Milano went out, I wasn’t worried about Bernard.  I was scared to death of TD25.  He’s responded and made himself some money this offseason.  

-our DL has saved our season.  Without their collaborative effort and McDs scheming sacks with brining LBs and Ss, our season would be down the toilet.  Bad part is- the majority of the DL are FAs. 

- the OL was 💩 vs LAC, but they’ve all outplayed their salaries this season imo.  I think we have a solid foundation. 

Agree 100% on Benford. While I am disappointed in Elam (though not 100% ready to give up quite yet) the idea that McDermott has gotten that level of play out of 6th and 7th round and undrafted players in incredible.

My only quibble on Dodson is that I think Bernard has been even better. I can't wait to see this LB group with a healthy Milano.

19 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Agree 100% on Benford. While I am disappointed in Elam (though not 100% ready to give up quite yet) the idea that McDermott has gotten that level of play out of 6th and 7th round and undrafted players in incredible.

My only quibble on Dodson is that I think Bernard has been even better. I can't wait to see this LB group with a healthy Milano.

For sure, Bernard has been the rock keeping the D together with his mental acumen calling plays as well as his performance.

i too thought Bernsrd would be weakest link on the D (Spencer brown the weakest on O), but by the time Milano went down. I had 💯 confidence in him 

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

I am thankful that the Mario Williams signing is still regarded as “not working out” when the man had 38 sacks in 3 years, along with 2 All-Pro and 2 Pro Bowl nods, while Von is “arguable” having not yet played a full season for the Buffalo Football Bills.

Otherwise I would have nothing to nitpick. 

Honestly Mario Williams was great for us and very arguably lived up to his contract, the rest of the team was just extremely mediocre still.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Thankful for Josh mf'n Allen

It's amazing to me that we have the best QB in the league (sure, call me biased) after all the dogsh** we have seen come and go on this team. And as a bonus, he seems like a really good dude.

Also it's kind of sad that we very likely will never see another guy as good as him behind center in Buffalo so it's important to live in the moment while he's here. Something I'm often guilty of not doing.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

💯 

2 hours ago, QB Bills said:

Thankful for Josh mf'n Allen

It's amazing to me that we have the best QB in the league (sure, call me biased) after all the dogsh** we have seen come and go on this team. And as a bonus, he seems like a really good dude.

Also it's kind of sad that we very likely will never see another guy as good as him behind center in Buffalo so it's important to live in the moment while he's here. Something I'm often guilty of not doing.

💯 

I'm thankful for the descent of the Kansas City Chiefs. They are still a good team with Mahomes leading them but I no longer fear them like I once did. And I'm grateful that Mahomes revealed himself to be a whiny little b****. He's still a HOF QB but the class of Josh Allen is in stark relief to Mahome's classless complaining.

If we get the D line set we are looking on paper a better team in 2024 then this one due to more experience and an oline with even more time to gel.  

WR 1/2 and DE are priorities this off season. 

That could be bringing back Gabe and drafting 2 or 3 WRs that’s got to be the least we do.  

At DE that could be resign Floyd and AJ - likely both will be gone but I think there is a great chance Von convinces Floyd to run it back with him one more time.  

That’s part of what makes Von so valuable.  Just ignore everything he says publicly lol.  

Edited by Big Blitz

I'm thankful for the contributions of free agents Latavius Murray, Linval Joseph, Rasul Douglass and Leonard Fournette.  

Murray took it upon himself to call a player's only meeting and runs hard everytime he gets an opportunity to play, and the defense has played more inspired and nasty since Joseph and Douglas came to the team.  I don't think that's a coincidence.  

Fournette's contributions have yet to be written about, but I have a feeling he's going to impact a playoff game in a positive way.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Nephilim17 said:

I'm thankful for the descent of the Kansas City Chiefs. They are still a good team with Mahomes leading them but I no longer fear them like I once did. And I'm grateful that Mahomes revealed himself to be a whiny little b****. He's still a HOF QB but the class of Josh Allen is in stark relief to Mahome's classless complaining.

Mahomes is trying to keep up with all the fair points you make! giphy.gif?cid=6c09b9523s5xz2tfertt870nr5

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.