Kickers are 26/27 in FGs against us this year

SageAgainstTheMachine

36 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

He's been really bad

He is 23rd or 24th in FG%

No. He's kicking at a slightly below league average. That is not "really bad". That's 2 kicks off being above average. Oddly, he's had 1 blocked kick and missed 2 in the driving rain in Philly. To just blindly say "Welp, he's 23rd" without context is irresponsible.

As I said, it's definitely been a down year as per his standard. But if you think he's been "really bad" I don't know what to tell ya other than your personal standpoint on kickers may be too high 

14 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

No. He's kicking at a slightly below league average. That is not "really bad". That's 2 kicks off being above average. Oddly, he's had 1 blocked kick and missed 2 in the driving rain in Philly. To just blindly say "Welp, he's 23rd" without context is irresponsible.

As I said, it's definitely been a down year as per his standard. But if you think he's been "really bad" I don't know what to tell ya other than your personal standpoint on kickers may be too high 

That's fair

But for context's sake I think it's also fair to note he's one of the highest paid kickers in a league notorious for close games without ever having been top 10 in FG%

13 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

That's fair

But for context's sake I think it's also fair to note he's one of the highest paid kickers in a league notorious for close games without ever having been top 10 in FG%

I do acknowledge that.

However keeping with context, looking over many of the top percentage guys, most kick in a dome or warmer weather. Having half your home games in Orchard Park in the elements we see does play into percentage as well.

He also doesn't get a chance for many "game winners" due to the way the Bills win games ordinarily, however he is 9 of 9 in his career on such kicks. Can't ask for more IMO.

1 minute ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I do acknowledge that.

However keeping with context, looking over many of the top percentage guys, most kick in a dome or warmer weather. Having half your home games in Orchard Park in the elements we see does play into percentage as well.

He also doesn't get a chance for many "game winners" due to the way the Bills win games ordinarily, however he is 9 of 9 in his career on such kicks. Can't ask for more IMO.

Playing half your games in Buffalo will definitely have an affect 👍

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

He’s missed a makeable fg in every close lose we’ve had which makes it worse than his overall make percentage would indicate imo 

This unlucky streak will be put to the test next week. The Pats kicker has missed a 47 yarder by about a mile, and just missed an XP too. If he drills two 50 yarders right down the middle against us, we can pack it in for the season and accept the universe doesn't want us to win anything meaningful this year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

12 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

This is a really weird narrative.

By your own standard you say 24/28 would be league average. Fine. Sounds about right. That's 85%. 

Bass on the year is 22/27. That's 81%. Basically 2 kicks under par, so to speak. So 4% in your eyes takes you from "league average" to "truly bad"? 

Now, I'll gladly admit Bass has had a down year for his normal standard. But the sudden talk this year of Bass being horrible are greatly over exaggerated.

On top of that he's 43/44 on extra points. 

It's not a weird narrative.  Bass is 24th in the league in field goal percentage.  Sure he may be 2 kicks under par, but given the limited opportunities, 2 kicks ends up being a big deal when it comes to percentage.   

When compared to his peers he is bad right now, below average, inferior, poor, they all mean the same thing.   There are only 4 kickers in the entire league who have kicked enough to have their stats counted that are worse than Bass right now.  Sorry, he's been bad.

2 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Wouldn’t say he’s been really bad, but when  our opponent’s kickers have basically been automatic it feels like we are at a kicking disadvantage every game.   5 misses vs 1 miss is 12 points.  Kicking stats aren’t in a vacuum.  If the guy on the other side is out-kicking you, you’re a negative to your team.  

Same thing with dropped INT's. If the ball is anywhere close to a defender, they make an amazing catch on it.

I watch other games and see dropped INT's all the time. In fact, I watch OUR team drop INT's all the time.

This has not been a lucky year at all.

• Agree 1

That's an absurd FG percentage. Over 96%?? Most kickers don't even have XP percentages that high!

9 minutes ago, MJS said:

Same thing with dropped INT's. If the ball is anywhere close to a defender, they make an amazing catch on it.

I watch other games and see dropped INT's all the time. In fact, I watch OUR team drop INT's all the time.

This has not been a lucky year at all.

Yeah it's really maddening when Allen has one of the lowest turnover worthy play percentage in the NFL but has so many INTs...defenders are catching everything, then you watch other games and the same dude that made an amazing over the shoulder INT against Allen last week drops an easy one that looks like a punt.

2 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Yeah considering one miss can drop a kicker like 4% since they only have a finite number of kicks during a year and there is no difficulty rating involved it's not really meaningful overall...

A missed 60 yard FG is not the same as a missed 35 yard FG but for all intents and purposes they are treated the same.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, HappyDays said:

This unlucky streak will be put to the test next week. The Pats kicker has missed a 47 yarder by about a mile, and just missed an XP too. If he drills two 50 yarders right down the middle against us, we can pack it in for the season and accept the universe doesn't want us to win anything meaningful this year.

Couldn’t believe he nailed the game winner right down middle from 56 yards. Loved it because helped the bills out but didn’t think he had a shot 

Here is the data from the last 5 years to put it into context.  Opponent first and then the Bills' kicker.

2019   14/24 (58%!)     22/28 (79% Hauschka)

2020   23/25 (92%)    28/34 (82% Bass)

2021   23/25 (92%)    28/32 (88%)

2022   21/28 (75%)    27/31 (87%)

2023   26/27 (96%)   22/27  (79%)

5 years

opp = 107/129 (83%)    Bills = 127/152 (84%)

4 years (Bass only)

opp = 93/105 (89%)       Bass = 105/124 (85%)

3 years (Bass only -- not including this year)

opp = 67/78  (86%)         Bass = 83/97 (86%)

League average in 2022 was 86% so Bills have been unlucky. The evidence also indicates that Bass is a good kicker who is having a bad year.  He is good enough for what the Bills need but not elite even accounting for weather.

Edited by Billy Claude

15 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Playing half your games in Buffalo will definitely have an affect 👍

The weather channel created a "worst weather" city index for NFL teams and the Bills won by a very wide margin over 2nd place Green Bay.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Yes because bass isn't a very good kicker

I don't agree with that.   He is a good kicker (at least above average).  He's just not anywhere close to the elite kicker that some people seem to believe he is.   

Edited by Billy Claude

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.