Kickers are 26/27 in FGs against us this year

SageAgainstTheMachine

23 minutes ago, Billy Claude said:

I don't agree with that.   He is a good kicker (at least above average).  He's just not anywhere close to the elite kicker that some people seem to believe he is.   

Normalize kickers for the weather and lengths of FG and then let's talk. The current way of viewing them doesn't tell us much. When one kicker has 8 home games in a dome, another 3 road games in a dome and only 2 games where they deal with any sort of weather and others, especially Bass, who deal with crazy swirling winds even on "good days" at home it creates a pretty uneven playing field.

11 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Normalize kickers for the weather and lengths of FG and then let's talk. The current way of viewing them doesn't tell us much. When one kicker has 8 home games in a dome, another 3 road games in a dome and only 2 games where they deal with any sort of weather and others, especially Bass, who deal with crazy swirling winds even on "good days" at home it creates a pretty uneven playing field.

The comparison is with opposition kickers playing against the Bills so they kicking in the same playing conditions as Bass  They have a 89% success rate against 85% for Bass.

No, I am not going to spend time trying to parse it out by distance.  There is zero evidence to believe that Bass is a better kicker at long distances than the NFL average kicker.

Edited by Billy Claude

On 12/24/2023 at 12:02 AM, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

Just an example of some of the negative variance that we have to overcome.  It's one of those things that tends to normalize over a larger sample size but just like our luck on fumbled balls it's been going against us all season.  Even though it was Easton Stick and not Patrick Mahomes I didn't feel remotely comfortable at the end of this game because I think Dicker would have nailed it from 67 somehow.

But wouldn't it be awesome if this is where the worm turns?  

Crazy considering the winds in Buffalo. This should’ve been one of the advantages. Kickers are so much better 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.