Governor Hochul Signs Bill To Create Commission To Study Slavery Reparations

Tiberius

https://www.cbsnews.com/newyork/news/gov-kathy-hochul-signs-controversial-legislation-to-create-slavery-reparations-commission/

And!! Slavery in Western New York! 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Buell_Porter Porter Avenue 

In 1820, Porter and his wife Letitia signed an affidavit attesting to the ownership of five enslaved Africans. Their names were recorded as John Caldwell, born 1800; Richard Caldwell, born 1810; Lannia Caldwell, born 1803; Mildred Caldwell, born 1806; and Betsy Gatewood, born 1815. This affidavit appears in the Buffalo Town Proceedings[23] in the collection of the Buffalo History Museum.

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, Tiberius said:

https://www.cbsnews.com/newyork/news/gov-kathy-hochul-signs-controversial-legislation-to-create-slavery-reparations-commission/

And!! Slavery in Western New York! 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Buell_Porter Porter Avenue 

In 1820, Porter and his wife Letitia signed an affidavit attesting to the ownership of five enslaved Africans. Their names were recorded as John Caldwell, born 1800; Richard Caldwell, born 1810; Lannia Caldwell, born 1803; Mildred Caldwell, born 1806; and Betsy Gatewood, born 1815. This affidavit appears in the Buffalo Town Proceedings[23] in the collection of the Buffalo History Museum.

Tiberius Porter? Well I'll be darned. 

1 minute ago, Doc said:

As someone said in another thread "because it worked so well for California..." :rolleyes:

Governor Kathy is behind the curve.

San Francisco wanted to give blacks $5 million each. Instead it eliminated the entire reparations office. Good riddance to an idiotic office that should never have existed in the first place. In a Brutal Turn for San Francisco Reparations, city budget cuts strip all funding.2

https://www.sfgate.com/politics/article/breed-cuts-funding-for-office-of-reparations-sf-18537724.php

https://www.sfexaminer.com/news/politics/city-reparations-office-on-hold-due-to-breed-budget-cuts/article_43e3bf8c-939a-11ee-8576-5710e9ed4db9.html

Hochul stinks at politicking. She hyped up the ADU bill in the 2022 budget and then immediately folded like a cheap table when she got pushback. This is another poor policy that is better off as investments into Black neighborhoods where money is planned and accounted for. 

• Agree 1

In 2007, Hochul opposed then Gov. Spitzer's proposal to allow undocumented immigrants to apply for a driver's license without producing a social security card, saying that if the proposal went into effect she would seek to have any such applicants arrested.

Also, back then she prided herself as a conservative democrat, receiving the conservative endorsement.

Oh well……

• Thank you (+1) 2

On 7/2/2023 at 7:51 PM, LeviF said:

2 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

In 2007, Hochul opposed then Gov. Spitzer's proposal to allow undocumented immigrants to apply for a driver's license without producing a social security card, saying that if the proposal went into effect she would seek to have any such applicants arrested.

Also, back then she prided herself as a conservative democrat, receiving the conservative endorsement.

Oh well……

Somehow I think the NYS DMV would be relieved if she 180’d back on that one. 

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Tommy Callahan said:

She almost lost to lee zeldin.  She keeps this up she might not win a dark blue state next time 

She's not running again. The only reason the NY Dems (the party, not individual dems) backed her up this past round is because of the short runway they had after Cuomo resigned. 

AG James has been told that the NY Dems will throw their money and support behind her in 2026, you best believe Hochul has been informed of that fact as well and will decline to run again.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

There will always be someone trying to get something for free especially with the American greed mindset . 

So Hocul & other Dems are willing to move forward with paying those people that were slaves back some 200+ years ago ? And every other person that is like minded now that won't cost the tax payers of 200+ years later to much will it ? Not to mention they had absolutely nothing to do with it but have to pay for it ? 

Here's a thing for you, go back & find the actual families that were responsible for keeping or buying these people that were slaves & make their family pay for it . Go to the source not to others that may have been slaves them selves of some kind to repay others ignorance .

So i can go look at my history & if i have past family that came here as indentured servants i can get some cash ? Keep it i'm no looking for a free ride i'll do it the American way as the commercial use to say - I'll Earn It !! 

But thanks for the dip ***** idea Hocul !! 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1

3 hours ago, T master said:

There will always be someone trying to get something for free especially with the American greed mindset . 

So Hocul & other Dems are willing to move forward with paying those people that were slaves back some 200+ years ago ? And every other person that is like minded now that won't cost the tax payers of 200+ years later to much will it ? Not to mention they had absolutely nothing to do with it but have to pay for it ? 

Here's a thing for you, go back & find the actual families that were responsible for keeping or buying these people that were slaves & make their family pay for it . Go to the source not to others that may have been slaves them selves of some kind to repay others ignorance .

So i can go look at my history & if i have past family that came here as indentured servants i can get some cash ? Keep it i'm no looking for a free ride i'll do it the American way as the commercial use to say - I'll Earn It !! 

But thanks for the dip ***** idea Hocul !! 

Yup.  I have the same mindset with college loan forgiveness.  Instead of soaking the taxpayers, get it back from the schools.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Precision said:

Not going to happen. 

With a state budget of $230 billion and roughly 3 million African Americans in NYS, how much could reasonably be given to each individual, $10K?  

Considering that they're already a heavy tax burden on those of us who are net taxpayers, I'd say the reparations have been paid many times over. Enough with the gibs.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

• 2 months later...