WR’s checking with officials when lining up

LabattBlue

5 hours ago, margolbe said:

I thought Andy Reid's comments were quite telling in that he expected a warning from the referee regarding the illegal formation.  Is he kidding or is this evidence of the expectation of a two-tiered system regarding officiating favoring the "darling" teams.  We are luck that we had this ref crew this week.  If we had the one we had in Philadelphia, we would have lost this game.

Reid is totally in CYA mode…he knows they aren’t getting a warning on a WR close to the formation…he is just covering up that his reclamation project is costing him games.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, ControllerOfPlanetX said:

Reid is totally in CYA mode…he knows they aren’t getting a warning on a WR close to the formation…he is just covering up that his reclamation project is costing him games.

Or he is trying to draw fire from his star QB who just went full meltdown.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I think they would. I think it's one of those, "hey man be careful you are really close to being Offside. Back up." To me that's a warning. If they are lined up Offside, that's a flag. 

I don’t think they should do that at all honestly. Imagine if a ref warns one player but not the opponent? That’d go over well. 

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

What you are seeing is the WR checking to see if he’s lined up incorrectly so as to be ‘covering up’ the TE or other WR. He’s not checking to see if he’s over the line of scrimmage. The penalty he’s trying to avoid is illegal formation….not offside. 

I wasn’t clear. I have seen them line up Offside only to check with the ref and have the ref give that little hand signal.

The WR is looking over to the ref for the exact reason you highlighted, but I have seen the exchange occur because of the WR’s initial mistake. It wasn’t the intent, but it happens.

2 hours ago, schoolhouserock said:

I wasn’t clear. I have seen them line up Offside only to check with the ref and have the ref give that little hand signal.

The WR is looking over to the ref for the exact reason you highlighted, but I have seen the exchange occur because of the WR’s initial mistake. It wasn’t the intent, but it happens.

Also correct. 👍 The odd thing about all of the Chiefs whining is that Toney did the exact same thing multiple times yesterday and the KC coaching staff apparently never told him to check with the refs! That’s on the Chiefs…not on the referees . 

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

Mahomes cried refs hadn’t been calling that on WR’s is an admission they routinely test the rules.

If that’s the case here, boo-hoo, they got caught.

Reid's comments were rather surprising. He basically admitted they'll cheat until they get a warning. It's why they keep lining their lineman way back because he expects a "warning" about it before they start getting penalized for it.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Now THIS is an example where the player is right to be pissed. Although he didnt do a good job of looking at the ref to confirm.

The ref clearly was showing him where the line was.  He was a yard away, and moved up 6 inches.  

23 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Yeah, he checked, but checked without really looking at the ref and was looking away when he gave the ref the thumbs up. But damn.

I really like the way that linesman handled it.  He was like, "here's the line, so lineup where you think you should".  It's like Andy Reid wants the ref to guide them in like an air traffic controller on a carrier.  Heck, why not go out on the field, and push him into the right spot.  Better yet, have someone on the sideline, from your own team, doing it.  Doesn't seem like a lineman's responsibility and can even give the appearance of bias.  

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.