The weekly "most suspicious officiating moments in the game" thread

Simon

6 minutes ago, Simon said:

#1 - The Latavius Murray "catch" that was squaring things up for the Kelce "catch"

#2 - The awful contact call on Sherfield's pick on 3rd/10 that gave the Bills a first down around the 20 and a legit chance to ice the game.

Two huge fourth quarter calls that made it look like the NFL wants the Bills still in the hunt.

Completely agree. I was shocked they didn’t overturn the Murray catch.

13 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

He CLEARLY got 3 feet down and the hold was a freaking bearhug. Just obvious. I agreed with the no-call on kincaid.

I'm not going to have an ongoing debate about officiating so I'll say a couple things and zip it.

#1 - In no football game that I'm familiar with is that ever a catch; like Kelce's "catch" it was just another example of the problems that micro-officiating have led us to.

#2 - It's a designed pick play for Sherfield and Shakir, and Trent went after it like he'd just heard a joke about his Momma; no flag should have ever come out there and if one stupidly did,  it was just as much on Sherfield as the DB and imo, more on him for clearly initiating the contact.

12 minutes ago, Simon said:

If it was the boundary receiver, stripes might have told him he was Offside.....

That's what I was thinking. The outside wr's usually ask the officials if they are lined up "ok".  9/10 times that is called on the defense because the linemen are so bunched up and close to the ball. Toney shoulda known where he was. Total brain fart by him. 

Bills defense have been nailed twice for it this season. So I don't feel bad.

Another non-call was when Josh threw the pick. Sherfield was tackled on that play. Was a bad throw by Josh, but DPI shoulda been called. 

Edited by Bubba Gump
  • Like (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, Success said:

Murray's was borderline - hard to overturn the call on the field either way.

It was like AJ browns but the it was called a completion on the field. The ball is caught over his head and dropped at his waist. I think that’s an easy call my self. NFL complicates ***** though

3 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

not the Kincaid one. That was a blatant hold by the linebacker. 

There was certainly contact, but that's what the sport is about.

I think we've been conditioned by the over-officiating of the last decade to think that any contact deserves a flag every time.

34 minutes ago, Simon said:

If it was the boundary receiver, stripes might have told him he was off......

My understanding is if the player asks then the ref will tell him,  if he doesn't then...flag. Sometimes.

Edited by Coastie
  • Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Simon said:

#1 - The Latavius Murray "catch" that was squaring things up for the Kelce "catch"

#2 - The awful contact call on Sherfield's pick on 3rd/10 that gave the Bills a first down around the 20 and a legit chance to ice the game.

Two huge fourth quarter calls that made it look like the NFL wants the Bills still in the hunt.

Are we seriously starting this thread?  After we finally pulled a game out after having so many things go against us?

I'll add one - Blatant missed DPI call on Diggs around 2 min warning in 2nd half.

34 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I know you’re kidding, but many others won’t!

I didn't, so I apologize....egg on my face!

Just now, BufBills83 said:

Are we seriously starting this thread?  After we finally pulled a game out after having so many things go against us?

I'll add one - Blatant missed DPI call on Diggs around 2 min warning in 2nd half.

You mean the one where Diggs also had him hooked by the collar so he couldn't make a play on the ball?

3 minutes ago, Simon said:

I think we've been conditioned by the over-officiating of the last decade to think that any contact deserves a flag every time.

I’m not talking about contact though. 

I’m talking about a hold. Not sure we are talking about the same play. It was a blatant hold that clearly slowed Kincaid down that was not called. 

3 minutes ago, Simon said:

I mean the chiefs did win the sb on a ticky tack one as well.

I differ from you just slightly. 

Kelce wasn't a catch

Murray wasn't a catch

Interesting in both situations "ball don't lie" came through for each teams defense.  

However I think they got that sherfield call correct.  That's just too much contact imo

2 minutes ago, Coastie said:

My understanding is if the player asks then the ref will tell him,  if he doesn't then...l flag. Sometimes.

Yeah, it's an odd relationship out there. But I've never known a ref to tell a slot guy that he's off; they aren't going to be yelling that across the field.

I could foresee a memo coming down from the league office telling officials to be uniform in how they deal with that; it would fit right in with their need to micromanage everything.

45 minutes ago, balln said:

Agree with you.and can add Toney offside. Was it a penalty ? Yea!? Just critical play there

bills finally benefited 

The flag came out before the play at all. Picking it up was impossible given it was blatant, obvious, and indisputable 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Simon said:

In addition to more rules, and faster play…. the 72 cameras from every angle giving instant hi def replays of so many extra pieces of the game followed by all 22 we can break down at home has been both amazing and awful for the fan experience.

the classic truth is that every play has a hold, a pass interference, and a wide receiver that flashes open. It’s so hard to thread the needle of officiating it with both the letter and spirit of the rules in mind

we used to sometimes see one grainy weird angle and maybe it was a big enough mistake to flash once on the 6 o’clock news 

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.