Chiefs WR Justyn Ross suspended 6 games, but back with the team Monday?

Beck Water

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/chiefs-wr-gets-handed-a-6-game-suspension/ar-AA1le7g1?cvid=117b54795d684d39a11e1609a4773c32&ei=24

Ross, who went undrafted out of Clemson University, has missed the team’s last five games after being placed on the Commissioner Exempt List, and he will be suspended by the NFL for violating its personal conduct policy, per Adam Schefter.

Luckily for the Chiefs, games missed by a player while on the Commissioner Exempt List count toward his suspension, and thus he will be able to rejoin his team on Monday.

So he's been on the commissioner's exempt list, getting paid to sit out while his domestic violence investigation took place

Now that he's been suspended for 6 games, subtract his time on the exempt list and...Voila!  He will miss 1 more game

How does this work as far as his salary?

-gets paid while on exempt list

-doesn't get paid/loses pro-rated signing bonus while suspended

So does he have to pay back the salary he was paid while exempt?

Or does the team "eat it" to get the player back?

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/chiefs-wr-gets-handed-a-6-game-suspension/ar-AA1le7g1?cvid=117b54795d684d39a11e1609a4773c32&ei=24

So he's been on the commissioner's exempt list, getting paid to sit out while his domestic violence investigation took place

Now that he's been suspended for 6 games, subtract his time on the exempt list and...Voila!  He will miss 1 more game

How does this work as far as his salary?

-gets paid while on exempt list

-doesn't get paid/loses pro-rated signing bonus while suspended

So does he have to pay back the salary he was paid while exempt?

Or does the team "eat it" to get the player back?

I don’t know the salary implications but if putting guys on the list before figuring out the outcome, that should count against their suspension as time served.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 90sBills said:

Not sure KC’s 7th WR deserves a thread around here. lol 

I'm not sure the 7th WR deserves a thread

It's more the info about time on the exempt list being subtracted from his suspension

And the question to which I don't know the answer - since exempt list games are "paid to sit out" but suspension games are "forfeit pay and prorated bonus", how does that work in this situation?

At least, that's what interested me, and seemed like it might get more attention, maybe an answer from someone who knows, in its own thread.

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

I don’t know the salary implications but if putting guys on the list before figuring out the outcome, that should count against their suspension as time served.

The "time served" aspect makes sense to me, it's how is the salary handled? that I question.

Edit: I just found a possible answer.   Per this article which references Schefter, he has to pay the salary back:

https://www.tigernet.com/clemson-nfl/news/nfl-hands-down-ruling-on-former-clemson-wr-justyn-ross-43405

The NFL ruled a six-game suspension for violating the league's Personal Conduct Policy, per ESPN's Adam Schefter. Since Ross has already been on the league's Exempt List for five games, he will sit out one more and have served the punishment.

According to Schefter, Ross must also pay back the six game checks he would've received in that period.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 3

24 minutes ago, pkwwjd said:

I read this morning that he will have to pay back the five game checks for time served

Yeah, that alone could mess him up bad being he's not making that much in the first place. Good thing UPS is hiring. 

53 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

So, in October Ross was arrested for misdemeanor DV and placed on the exempt list. That appears to have been upgraded to a felony DV. Then served with a suspension....without a conviction in court? Very interesting considering current events with a player on our team. 

Was he charged? If so that’s why he went on the exempt list. I remember reading that Roger wasn’t  going to put von on the list until/unless he got charged

Edited by YoloinOhio

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Was he charged? If so that’s why he went on the exempt list. I remember reading that Roger wasn’t  going to put von on the list until/unless he got charged

But Von was/has been charged with a felony assault. Not sure about Ross.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

From what I understand they are waiting to see if formal charges are filed. Not sure if the CBA comes into play with that timeline or not. 

However, it's interesting (to me at least) to see the kind of timeline and what scope we could see could/should expect should there be a filing. 

1 hour ago, mannc said:

He’s been charged, arrested and posted bail.  Who said he hasn’t been charged?

He’s facing charges, but apparently Roger needs formal charges 

https://www.post-journal.com/sports/local-sports/2023/12/von-miller-practices-while-facing-charges/#:~:text=Miller faces a charge of,years and have children together.

43 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

when charges just aren't formal enough: "casual Friday charges"

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.