Coy Wire - CNN Video on a possible new Planet being born

Jon in Pasadena

15 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Sure, until it gets screwed like Pluto in 2006 based on some technicalities..  

It's actually based on only one technicality. The 2006 requirements for a planet were:

It orbits around the sun

It has sufficient mass so that it becomes a nearly round shape

It has cleared the neighborhood around its orbit

Pluto meets the first two. Re the third one, to quote Augie above, "No, I don’t know what that means either. 🤷‍♂️" But you can be sure that if someone had told Pluto in 1930 that he had to clear the neighborhood to be a planet, he would have done it!

Edited by Steve O
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Steve O said:

It's actually based on only one technicality. The 2006 requirements for a planet were:

It orbits around the sun

It has sufficient mass so that it becomes a nearly round shape

It has cleared the neighborhood around its orbit

Pluto meets the first two. Re the third one, to quote Augie above, "No, I don’t know what that means either. 🤷‍♂️" But you can be sure that if someone had told Pluto in 1930 that he had to clear the neighborhood to be a planet, he would have done it!

Pluto's orbit takes almost 248 years to complete. Since its discovery in 1930 it has not yet completed an orbit around the sun maybe thats the issue? I assume clear the neighborhood around its orbit means things arent in its orbit path

Edited by Bray Wyatt

55 minutes ago, Fleezoid said:

I had to send this to my wife first. Hat size was not on her list of items to know while searching for a spouse. Two C-Sections later she says she knows where she went wrong! 😂 

We are the people wearing the different color helmets on the white water rafting photos. The helmets that came out of some smelly back room. In high school football they couldn’t find a helmet for my son and the famous family quote was “that thing is deceptively large!”  

• Haha (+1) 1

On 12/5/2023 at 1:43 PM, Bray Wyatt said:

Pluto's orbit takes almost 248 years to complete. Since its discovery in 1930 it has not yet completed an orbit around the sun maybe thats the issue? I assume clear the neighborhood around its orbit means things arent in its orbit path

No, that's not the issue.  It comes down to an arbitrary definition for what a planet is, and scientists in that field arguing over it and not enough of them accepting that Pluto should be regarded as a planet.

You see the same sort of academic bickering in biology circles, where there are endless debates about what new finding constitutes a "new species" or just a variation on an existing one.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.