Week 15 2023 flex alert: PHL-SEA to MNF plus Saturday games announced

chongli

https://nflcommunications.com/Pages/Week-15-Flex-Scheduling---Eagles-Seahawks-to-Monday-Night;-NFL-Network-Tripleheader-on-Saturday.aspx

Week 15 - December 17:

First-ever MNF flex: Philadelphia at Seattle moves to MNF while Kansas City at New England goes to 1 PM Sunday on FOX. 

Dallas at Buffalo becomes the sole late national game on FOX.

The Saturday (December 16) games on NFL Network were also announced:

Minnesota at Cincinnati

Pittsburgh at Indianapolis

Denver at Detroit

Atlanta at Carolina and Chicago at Cleveland were also moved from CBS to FOX in the early Sunday slot.

WJBK in Detroit (FOX 2) will also be simulcasting the Denver at Detroit game:

Other local simulcasts for the Saturday games will be announced later.

Edited by chongli
  • Thank you (+1) 1

• chongli changed the title to Week 15 2023 flex alert: MNF: PHL-SEA plus Sat. games announced
16 minutes ago, BuffaloBillies said:

"Dallas at Buffalo becomes the sole late national game on FOX"

Fox is praying we beat KC next week, otherwise Dallas game is moot (as far as Bills are concerned).

Maybe NFL will whisper the script to the refs before the KC game and we'll get some calls our way.

Haha, yeah at this point we need all the help we can get.

Still, FOX is thrilled to have even more eyes on Dallas...their real moneymaker.

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillies said:

Fox is praying we beat KC next week, otherwise Dallas game is moot (as far as Bills are concerned).

Maybe NFL will whisper the script to the refs before the KC game and we'll get some calls our way.

1 hour ago, chongli said:

https://nflcommunications.com/Pages/Week-15-Flex-Scheduling---Eagles-Seahawks-to-Monday-Night;-NFL-Network-Tripleheader-on-Saturday.aspx

Week 15 - December 17:

First-ever MNF flex: Philadelphia at Seattle moves to MNF while Kansas City at New England goes to 1 PM Sunday on FOX. 

Dallas at Buffalo becomes the sole late national game on FOX.

The Saturday (December 16) games on NFL Network were also announced:

Minnesota at Cincinnati

Pittsburgh at Indianapolis

Denver at Detroit

Atlanta at Carolina and Chicago at Cleveland were also moved from CBS to FOX in the early Sunday slot.

Awesome, so our continued humiliation can be witnessed by a national audience :lol:

• Haha (+1) 4

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillies said:

So, the calls will be 2-1 in favor of Dallas instead of 3-1? Sweet!

• Haha (+1) 1

Same day flex games I get to a degree. If I'm already planning on going to the game Sunday I can probably swing a game moved earlier or later that day, annoying as it might be.

Scheduling to an entirely new day with less than 2 weeks notice though??? Seems crazy from a ticketed fan's perspective, especially for those travelling in from out of town. Have to imagine a good chunk of fans won't be able to adjust and will have to sell or forfeit the tix. Curious if they would be offered any sort of refund in that scenario?

• Like (+1) 1

• chongli changed the title to Week 15 2023 flex alert: PHL-SEA to MNF plus Saturday games announced
22 minutes ago, Kincaid Kool-Aid said:

Same day flex games I get to a degree. If I'm already planning on going to the game Sunday I can probably swing a game moved earlier or later that day, annoying as it might be.

Scheduling to an entirely new day with less than 2 weeks notice though??? Seems crazy from a ticketed fan's perspective, especially for those travelling in from out of town. Have to imagine a good chunk of fans won't be able to adjust and will have to sell or forfeit the tix. Curious if they would be offered any sort of refund in that scenario?

Agreed, but especially for Week 15, with three Saturday games to be determined late, fans knew in advance things would be uncertain.

14 minutes ago, chongli said:

Agreed, but especially for Week 15, with three Saturday games to be determined late, fans knew in advance things would be uncertain.

Totally fair point. And I'm assuming there was probably a disclaimer with the new Monday night flex games too. Still movement to a Saturday is probably easier than a Monday night!

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, BBFL said:

Why are games being played on a Saturday for week 15?

Because it's near the holidays and the NFL wants to feature games to a national window and make money. Plus there are no (or few?) college games.

Edited by chongli

3 hours ago, BuffaloBillies said:

Clearly moron moving game wants Coach McD fired.  The only question is that moron one of our Debbie downers here?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, chongli said:

Because it's near the holidays and the NFL wants to feature games to a national window and make money. 

Same reason this was the first year of games on Black Friday. Before we know it, there'll be football on every day of the week and twice (maybe literally?) on Sunday! On one hand it's nice having options to watch more games throughout the week, on the other I kind of miss the days of limited football on Sunday and Monday night only...it felt like there was something special to look forward to each week.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Kincaid Kool-Aid said:

Same reason this was the first year of games on Black Friday. Before we know it, there'll be football on every day of the week and twice (maybe literally?) on Sunday! On one hand it's nice having options to watch more games throughout the week, on the other I kind of miss the days of limited football on Sunday and Monday night only...it felt like there was something special to look forward to each week.

Well let’s hope McDermott turns it around then. Otherwise we’ll have to hear about it even more than already every day of the week…

😩

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BBFL said:

Well let’s hope McDermott turns it around then. Otherwise we’ll have to hear about it even more than already every day of the week…

😩

If we play like we did at Philly, we will win out. Miami and KC didn't win against them. We should have won.

• Agree 1

45 minutes ago, BBFL said:

Why are games being played on a Saturday for week 15?

The NFL has played Saturday games this late in the season for a long time. When college football's regular season is over, the NFL will take advantage of the extra weekend day.

• Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, chongli said:

If we play like we did at Philly, we will win out. Miami and KC didn't win against them. We should have won.

To be fair, KC also dominated Philly and should have won. They shot themselves in the foot just like us. Gotta hand it to Philly...they're either the luckiest SOBs in the world or are a championship team that digs deep and just finds ways to win. Guess we'll find out which in the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, BuffaloBillies said:

I mean you really got to think if there is any swaying of games that the league would want the Bills in the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Kincaid Kool-Aid said:

A few more points on this:

1. Ticket sales/attendance is not hurt by this flexing since fans inconvenienced just resell these tickets on TicketMaster or the like. These marketers love it when flexes happen. As long as attendance s not hurt, the NFL doesn't care about the inconvenience to some fans since they feel the greater good is to show the better game to a wider audience on TV.

2. I also read this story on another forum about a visitor from abroad almost being screwed over by the MNF flex:

"My cousin in Amsterdam is flying in for the game. Now he has done this several times in past years and he flies in on Friday and flies home on Monday. This time because of a better airplane ticket price he is flying home on Tuesday which as it turns out a good decision. If he had stuck to what he has done in the past and fly home on Monday he would have missed the game and with no refund on his airplane ticket. He might have been able to make a change to the airplane ticket but would have had to pay a hefty change fee. So for those of you who are happy with the flex keep in mind that changing the game from Sunday to Monday can be a major problem for those holding tickets and in this case not only for those with the tickets to the Seahawks-Eagles game but also those holding tickets to the Chiefs-Patriots game."

3. And this is from the Phans in Philly group who are flying to Seattle for the game. They lucked out, with difficulty:

https://www.facebook.com/phansofphilly/posts/896584071831150

"The league doesn't make things easy on us!

Our whole trip to Seattle was built around the game being Sunday. Our hotel was checking out Monday, and our flights home were Monday! All the vendors we work with, like caterers, transportation, etc, were all booked around Sunday. We spent the day making adjustments and rescheduling everything.

I'm happy to say we pulled it all off and we are still getting our Phans out for the game! See you all out there for another prime time game! Go Birds!! #FlyEaglesFly"

IMG_9180.png?ex=657bb19c&is=65693c9c&hm=

2 hours ago, chongli said:

A few more points on this:

1. Ticket sales/attendance is not hurt by this flexing since fans inconvenienced just resell these tickets on TicketMaster or the like. These marketers love it when flexes happen. As long as attendance s not hurt, the NFL doesn't care about the inconvenience to some fans since they feel the greater good is to show the better game to a wider audience on TV.

2. I also read this story on another forum about a visitor from abroad almost being screwed over by the MNF flex:

"My cousin in Amsterdam is flying in for the game. Now he has done this several times in past years and he flies in on Friday and flies home on Monday. This time because of a better airplane ticket price he is flying home on Tuesday which as it turns out a good decision. If he had stuck to what he has done in the past and fly home on Monday he would have missed the game and with no refund on his airplane ticket. He might have been able to make a change to the airplane ticket but would have had to pay a hefty change fee. So for those of you who are happy with the flex keep in mind that changing the game from Sunday to Monday can be a major problem for those holding tickets and in this case not only for those with the tickets to the Seahawks-Eagles game but also those holding tickets to the Chiefs-Patriots game."

3. And this is from the Phans in Philly group who are flying to Seattle for the game. They lucked out, with difficulty:

https://www.facebook.com/phansofphilly/posts/896584071831150

"The league doesn't make things easy on us!

Our whole trip to Seattle was built around the game being Sunday. Our hotel was checking out Monday, and our flights home were Monday! All the vendors we work with, like caterers, transportation, etc, were all booked around Sunday. We spent the day making adjustments and rescheduling everything.

I'm happy to say we pulled it all off and we are still getting our Phans out for the game! See you all out there for another prime time game! Go Birds!! #FlyEaglesFly"

IMG_9180.png?ex=657bb19c&is=65693c9c&hm=

Exactly! i had folks who might have flights/hotel reservations in mind. Not super easy to just change, particularly if it also involves potentially added time off at work etc. I'm sure you're right that the NFL doesn't care too much as long as butts are in seats, but no doubt it's a bad experience for a good chunk of fans at the same time.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Wait until the Patriot fans find out that a Gillette Stadium home game has been preempted by an RV show, and the Patriots are now playing at Foxborough High's Sam Berns Field.

They are still crying about it on Boston sports talk - freakn hilarious.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 11/30/2023 at 1:04 PM, BuffaloBillies said:

I was 100% convinced we were going to get favorable calls in the Philly game.  Boy was I wrong.  10-1 penalties half way through the 2nd quarter.  Thought because of playoff narratives, the league could easily have the Eagles absorb a loss to keep Buffalo in the playoff race.  I guess a Taylor Swift / Kelce Bros. Super Bowl makes more sense revenue wise.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I was 100% convinced we were going to get favorable calls in the Philly game.  Boy was I wrong.  10-1 penalties half way through the 2nd quarter.  Thought because of playoff narratives, the league could easily have the Eagles absorb a loss to keep Buffalo in the playoff race.  I guess a Taylor Swift / Kelce Bros. Super Bowl makes more sense revenue wise.

Maybe the NFL wants to make the Bills the "lovable losers," like the Cubs all those years.

• Sad 1

In a subscriber-only article, Andrew Marchand writes about the Monday night flex:

he confirms the Cowboys (and presumably all NFC teams) have to appear on FOX at least eight times between Weeks 1 and 17, so Fox didn't have to protect the Dallas at Buffalo game in Week 15 and instead chose to protect Philadelphia at Seattle. As an incentive to let the NFL flex that game, the league didn't move Chicago at Cleveland, which FOX wanted to keep, to Saturday.

https://nypost.com/2023/12/04/sports/inside-the-elaborate-dance-behind-the-nfls-flex-schedule/

Screenshot:

marchand.jpg

Edited by chongli

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.