Addressing the "Josh Allen is TO machine" narrative

FireChans

5 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

He is playing at an MVP level. The team is 6-6. You can apportion blame how you see fit.

Allen deserves very litte of it imo

I’m saying that from a media narrative stand point, the QB will always take a hit when the team has a lost season. That’s just the way the media works.

I find it hilarious

id take Josh Allen over everyone at this point but Mahomes and I’d be torn if I had to pick between Allen and burrow 

I will say this 

burrow without a supporting cast ?  I don’t think he can make it like Allen could or Mahomes has proven he can 

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I agree the O line this season is much improved over last season and that gives me cause for optimism going forward.  But this debate is about Allen's TO narrative which has developed over the last few years.  For example, last season the Bills had one of the worst O lines in the NFL. 

Yeah, but you mentioned Oline this year.  Oline this year has been good.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

Josh is much better than Trent Edwards. So no.

Your counterpoints are very funny. Josh needed a miraculous 4th Q comeback against the Pats (don’t forget the defense forcing the TO to enable that comeback, always a forgotten play) because the offense couldn’t score more than a TD through 53 minutes against a terrible defense and a terrible team.

If we want to give Josh the lion’s share of the credit for the team’s accomplishments since he’s been here (totally fair), then he also gets a nice piece of the blame pie when the team is 6-6.

“Josh is the sole reason we have a couple playoffs wins but nothing is his fault this season” ain’t gonna fly.

No QB, franchise or otherwise, in the history of the NFL HAS EVER been blameless for a lost season. 

Better than Trent Edwards is the best you can do. With what he has to work with, compared to Kelly’s SB teams, the best  in team history. Who else has produced on this team consistently? The short answer is Oliver and Floyd on defense and Diggs on offense. Kincaid will be good, but they just started targeting him 3 weeks ago. Cook has had a few good games but dropped a TD and hasn’t been used enough. Josh is the offense and he’s got an average O-line that gets too many penalties. This roster, with the injuries on defense, would have 2 or 3 wins with 95% of the other QBs in the league. Josh should be celebrated for 6 wins. What other QBs not named Mahomes could win more?  Josh’s escapability, running threat and arm talent makes every game winnable. According to FireChans, it’s those one or two pesky turnovers that killed us. Without Josh Bills fans are wearing bags on their heads.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Eastport bills said:

Better than Trent Edwards is the best you can do. With what he has to work with, compared to Kelly’s SB teams, the best  in team history. Who else has produced on this team consistently? The short answer is Oliver and Floyd on defense and Diggs on offense. Kincaid will be good, but they just started targeting him 3 weeks ago. Cook has had a few good games but dropped a TD and hasn’t been used enough. Josh is the offense and he’s got an average O-line that gets too many penalties. This roster, with the injuries on defense, would have 2 or 3 wins with 95% of the other QBs in the league. Josh should be celebrated for 6 wins. What other QBs not named Mahomes could win more?  Josh’s escapability, running threat and arm talent makes every game winnable. According to FireChans, it’s those one or two pesky turnovers that killed us. Without Josh Bills fans are wearing bags on their heads.

The choice isn't Josh vs no Josh.

The choice is Josh as he is (with tons of turnovers) vs an even better Josh (with less turnovers).

I pick choice two. I would like the Bills to win the Superbowl.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, FireChans said:

The choice isn't Josh vs no Josh.

The choice is Josh as he is (with tons of turnovers) vs an even better Josh (with less turnovers).

I pick choice two. I would like the Bills to win the Superbowl.

This will be my last response. I’m begging you,stop complaining about a few turnovers, which is part of the equation with this roster. No separation, tight windows and pressure on Josh for any offense. You  should focus on surrounding our generational QB with a #2 receiver who can be deep threat,  a different left tackle,  an OLB and a new young secondary. Throw in a new offensive minded HC and we’ll have a realistic shot. A turnover or 2 won’t make a difference because we’ll crush teams.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

This will be my last response. I’m begging you,stop complaining about a few turnovers, which is part of the equation with this roster. No separation, tight windows and pressure on Josh for any offense. You  should focus on surrounding our generational QB with a #2 receiver who can be deep threat,  a different left tackle,  an OLB and a new young secondary. Throw in a new offensive minded HC and we’ll have a realistic shot. A turnover or 2 won’t make a difference because we’ll crush teams.

I think better weapons for Josh will reduce his TO’s. 

I have been arguing for better WR’s for Josh for like 2 years straight now.

I see a kid too / who has driven his team down despite mistakes during the game and took the leads late in the game for a bit comeback win.

remember Brady doing such things and “hers a guy that does what Tom Brady does - leads his team through adversity and gets his team in position to win”

• Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

For all the folks who bemoan Allen’s “lack” of a surrounding cast, explain CJ Stroud’s success.

Alot of polished QBs come in and play well before the league has a book on you

Mayfield threw for 29 TDs as a rookie and never eclipsed it ..  Some players come in 100% polished 

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Alot of polished QBs come in and play well before the league has a book on you

Mayfield threw for 29 TDs as a rookie and never eclipsed it ..  Some players come in 100% polished 

Very fair point. But a couple of things

1 - stroud is having a better rookie season 

2 - I think he is a much more physically gifted qb than Baker. Baker has the heart but a Ryan Fitzpatrick arm. 

the fact that he is doing it mainly with his arm really impresses me. I think he is very legit. What do you think? 

30 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Very fair point. But a couple of things

1 - stroud is having a better rookie season 

2 - I think he is a much more physically gifted qb than Baker. Baker has the heart but a Ryan Fitzpatrick arm. 

the fact that he is doing it mainly with his arm really impresses me. I think he is very legit. What do you think? 

I always thought Stroud had a lot of talent.... And he was very polished 

But that Ohio State offense has been a Ferrari for decades ... Its tougher to see how they translate because they are all 4* 5* QBs and they all play amazing .. surrounded by nfl talent 

Haskins literally had a beautiful arm and fields was a physical freak ... And I didn't think Stroud was necessarily better than them... so I liked his talent ... I wasn't so sure if he would have a great career... He is very nuanced as a young passer..  he is better than I thought 

And Baker has a much stronger arm than given credit for...

He currently has the record for farthest football ever thrown in an NFL game..70.5 yards.... there's clips of him throwing 60 yards in high school.. and he was bombing it deep at OU too

He actually has a big arm despite other deficiencies 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.