Deonte Harty Usage/Plan?

YodaMan79

2 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Harty and Sherfield over DHOP may have costed everyone a job in the coaching tree and FO.

Ya think?  That seems like a reach.  

It's a whole lotta things.  

What bothers me is that this is a Beane thing, yet he's not taking nearly the heat that he should be.  

These cheap 1-2 year free agents seem to be his thing on offense.  No doubt he's getting direction from McDimwit to keep stocking the D so that McD can play FFL with the D roster.  

The other thing that bothers me is that Davis comes at a fraction of the cost of Knox, Harty and less than Sherfield or even Shakir, contributes far more, and yet takes more heat than all of them combined.  

Talk about illogical.  And again, that's a Beane issue.  

I'm not defending Davis, but he's hardly the biggest issue in our WR corps.  Dollar for dollar he contributes more than anyone.  

On 11/6/2023 at 4:42 PM, Chaos said:

If Harty was once fast or fast twitch, it is not obvious that is still the case.  Currently a guy like Zay Flowers is fast and fast twitch.  Harty seems to be small like Flowers, but having only NFL average WR speed and elusiveness 

i’ve heard it said, perhaps with some justification that he is not the same player post injury, burst is gone. I’m not sure I agree. Its not an unreasonable conclusion based on what we’ve seen for the most, but I can remember seeing that burst occasionally and being surprised. I mean either you’ve got it or you dont. I think the reasons for his underperformance may lie elsewhere. We will see what Brady can do with him, if anything.

I don’t understand why anyone expected anything of this guy to begin with. He never was any good then you had people talking about him as some fast slot savior. The guy literally sucks. Beasley was an all pro at one point and the guys on WGR act like he was a garbage pail that kept getting shoehorned into the offense. When we were at our best, Beasley was one of the main reasons. McKenzie was a good player too. Solid, made a lot of big plays for us and didn’t get a lot of chances. We couldn’t wait to throw dirt on him. But a nobody, backup scrub player like Harty comes in and we are celebrating it. His role in the offense is to reinforce the bench so it doesn’t blow away.

41 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Ya think?  That seems like a reach.  

It's a whole lotta things.  

What bothers me is that this is a Beane thing, yet he's not taking nearly the heat that he should be.  

These cheap 1-2 year free agents seem to be his thing on offense.  No doubt he's getting direction from McDimwit to keep stocking the D so that McD can play FFL with the D roster.  

The other thing that bothers me is that Davis comes at a fraction of the cost of Knox, Harty and less than Sherfield or even Shakir, contributes far more, and yet takes more heat than all of them combined.  

Talk about illogical.  And again, that's a Beane issue.  

I'm not defending Davis, but he's hardly the biggest issue in our WR corps.  Dollar for dollar he contributes more than anyone.  

I think that an extra, effective, weapon on offense may have been the difference in some of our closer games which means no Dorsey firing, no impending McD firing and no Beane firing.

Not an indictment on Gabe but a lot of these losses have come from a handful of plays, and DHOP actually makes plays unlike Trent (who shouldn’t dress) and Harty (who doesn’t dress)

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

I cant help but laugh every year when we bring in the low level starter never has been Wrs, and the fans go wild, like we just picked up the next Randy Moss

You can count me in as one of the fools who drank the Bean/McD cool aid and got all excited when they brought these guys in.  I fell for it hook, line & sinker thinking this will revitalize the offense and finally give Allen more weapons.

It sort of worked for Bean/McD with Beasely & Brown but they missed on Kroft and Sanders and struck out with Sherfield & Harty.  With the exception of the Diggs trade the Bills took the bargain basement path for pass catchers from 2019 - 2022.   That is FOUR straight seasons where they didn't spend higher then a 3rd round pick nor sign anyone resembling a top flight WR/TE.  And they did this with an elite, once in a generation guy at QB.  It's coaching/organizational malpractice.

Sure they took the bold step of using a 1st round pick on Kincaid this last draft.  But for this coach and GM ti's a case of to little to late.  But at least the next coach, who will be an offensive minded guy, will appreciate the Kincaid pick.

• Agree 1

I hated the signing from the start. People pointed to a good year in 2021 (36 catches for 570 yards) and ignored the 3 others with 2, 6 and 20 catches. He was an upgrade to McK who had 42 catches in 2022 and was consistently a 20-30 catch guy. Not sure why anyone would buy Harty as an upgrade. It is very rare for a guy that has been in the league 5 years becomes someone different. 

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

The plan should be cutting him in the offseason to save 4M. 

Signing didn't work.  Move on.  Draft some real WR's for Josh Allen ... no more niche gadget speed guys or big body blocking deep threats.  

Yeah, it's pretty simple and no reason for fans to get so worked up.

He's been disappointing, and I didnt even expect much from him. But he's an easy cut, and saves us money.

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

I think that an extra, effective, weapon on offense may have been the difference in some of our closer games which means no Dorsey firing, no impending McD firing and no Beane firing.

Yeah, I'm sure that there are a number of reasons why Dorsey is implicated, but one of the most visible ones to me was when we were running just fine, the D giving up chunks of rushing yardage, and for no explicable reason we'd abandon the run when it's carrying the O, and start throwing, often with bad results.  

This isn't the '90s and we don't need a RB to run for 100 every game, but when it's working, hell, keep doing it until they stop it.  

Again, just one thing.  At the end of the day there's a lot of stuff going on that falls upon the shoulders of the one coordinating the entire enchilada, which is McD, and he's finally getting some heat for it.  

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

Not an indictment on Gabe but a lot of these losses have come from a handful of plays, and DHOP actually makes plays unlike Trent (who shouldn’t dress) and Harty (who doesn’t dress)

Like which ones, besides the Eagles game?  

Here's the thing, he's also been quite instrumental in wins, particularly the biggest playoff game, and really only relevant one we've had, under McD.  He's also contributed to a lot of wins. 

To not give him credit alongside the blame is wrong.  

And again, people blame him for not being a bona fide #2 WR, but those people are misplacing their dissatisfaction on Davis when it should be on Beane.  Davis didn't put himself in this role, Beane did.  I wouldn't typically automatically assume that a WR drafted in the mid-late 4th is going to pan out as a #1 or #2 WR.  

We could even say that we're very fortunate for getting out of a 128th overall pick what we've gotten from Davis, whom Allen clearly likes.  

As mentioned, if we got that kind of value from every draft pick, we'd have a team full of all-pros.  (aka if our 1st and 2nd rounders played up like that)  

13 minutes ago, SCBills said:

The plan should be cutting him in the offseason to save 4M. 

Signing didn't work.  Move on.  Draft some real WR's for Josh Allen ... no more niche gadget speed guys or big body blocking deep threats.  

He really didn't make THAT much money.  Somewhere in the same vein of berrios, hardman, campbell etc.  Just not sure why we bring a quick gadget guy in... then run 3x1, never use gadget plays, screens etc.  

I honestly think he's struggling with the offense - thinking too much and not able to just play ball.  Live and learn i suppose - cut him next year.  

7 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Yeah, I'm sure that there are a number of reasons why Dorsey is implicated, but one of the most visible ones to me was when we were running just fine, the D giving up chunks of rushing yardage, and for no explicable reason we'd abandon the run when it's carrying the O, and start throwing, often with bad results.  

This isn't the '90s and we don't need a RB to run for 100 every game, but when it's working, hell, keep doing it until they stop it.  

Again, just one thing.  At the end of the day there's a lot of stuff going on that falls upon the shoulders of the one coordinating the entire enchilada, which is McD, and he's finally getting some heat for it.  

Here's the thing, he's also been quite instrumental in wins, particularly the biggest playoff game, and really only relevant one we've had, under McD.  He's also contributed to a lot of wins. 

And again, people blame him for not being a bona fide #2 WR, but those people are misplacing their dissatisfaction on Davis when it should be on Beane.  Davis didn't put himself in this role, Beane did.  I wouldn't typically automatically assume that a WR drafted in the mid-late 4th is going to pan out as a #1 or #2 WR.  

We could even say that we're very fortunate for getting out of a 128th overall pick what we've gotten from Davis, whom Allen clearly likes.  

As mentioned, if we got that kind of value from every draft pick, we'd have a team full of all-pros.  (aka if our 1st and 2nd rounders played up like that)  

He's got the potential to net us a decent comp pick for the 2025 draft too, depending on how active buffalo is in free agency.  

Edited by Bleeding Bills Blue
  • Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

I’m not saying in replace of Gabe, but in addition. 

Diggs, DHOP, Gabe, Shakir, Kincaid is a pretty solid group.

12 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I’m not saying in replace of Gabe, but in addition. 

Diggs, DHOP, Gabe, Shakir, Kincaid is a pretty solid group.

Indeed, but think about what Allen does on a good day w/o an elite group like that.  

It's inexplicable as to how we put up half of what we usually do for a string of a half-dozen games, particularly not even against great defenses generally speaking.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.