Ben Johnson

PayDaBill$

45 minutes ago, Beast said:

How’d Ben Johnson do yesterday?

Probably don’t want to go there.

McClappy has accomplished what? Mediocrity?

How did we look the past 3 games & the opener? 3 pts total in the 1st half of the past two games & 13 pts total in qtrs 1 2 & 3 of the past two games. Lmfao yeah McD got what he wanted it’s workin’ like a dream….ba ha ha!  Let’s stay the course.  I’d take Johnson in a heartbeat.

Edited by PayDaBill$
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Beast said:

No, actually I do. Who are you Ben Johnson’s goon?

No you really don’t.

Who are you McDummy’s lackey?

It’s not like the Ravens are a bad team.  We’re struggling vs bottom feeders the Lions lost to a decent team.

How convenient that you omitted all the facts I stated & provided none

Interesting for a guy “who wants to go there”😉

Edited by PayDaBill$
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

My take:

- if we miss the playoffs, 80% chance McD (and probably Beane) is gone.

- if we go one-and-done, 50% chance

- if we make it to the AFCG, 0% chance

That's just kind of the way it goes. If your team takes a significant step back, you're usually on thin ice.

I think that Pegula will give McBeane the benefit of the doubt regarding how many key injuries occurred to the Defense.  So firing this year if they miss the playoffs might not be a given. But I could be wrong. 50-50 chance?  Maybe it depends on how badly they miss the playoffs.

But next year the team brain trust will be on a very short leash to produce a playoff appearance at the minimum.or heads WILL roll.

12 hours ago, PayDaBill$ said:

Just spit ballin’…. Can we $h1tcan McD and make an offer for Ben Johnson in the offseason. JA’s an attractive commodity going to waste under this current regime.

Much rather have an offensive mined younger HC.

Thoughts…….

And what makes you think Ben Johnson will be a better HC? Other than he's an offensive mind?  Every year roughly 25% of the coaches in the league are canned, many of them all were up and coming OC's who turned out as HC not very good.  You bring a new HC, you also are likely looking at a scheme change on both sides of ball and new personal.  Likely in a mini rebuild for a couple years.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Shocked 1

23 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

And what makes you think Ben Johnson will be a better HC? Other than he's an offensive mind?  Every year roughly 25% of the coaches in the league are canned, many of them all were up and coming OC's who turned out as HC not very good.  You bring a new HC, you also are likely looking at a scheme change on both sides of ball and new personal.  Likely in a mini rebuild for a couple years.

He is the shiniest object of all the objects.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

39 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

And some new guys are successful so what’s your point?

So we’re good as is?  I see nothing from the current regime that indicates they can produce beyond mediocre.  Josh isn’t improving under McD he’s regressing which is never a good sign.

So I guess we can put you in the do nothing, stay the course, fear of change McClappy camp.

BTW what do you think the Daboll - McD riff was over. Hint McD got his way, & Josh got neutered by an offensive scheme that doesn’t fit his game.

Edited by PayDaBill$
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, PayDaBill$ said:

Probably don’t want to go there.

McClappy has accomplished what? Mediocrity?

How did we look the past 3 games & the opener? 3 pts total in the 1st half of the past two games & 13 pts total in qtrs 1 2 & 3 of the past two games. Lmfao yeah McD got what he wanted it’s workin’ like a dream….ba ha ha!  Let’s stay the course.  I’d take Johnson in a heartbeat.

I agree. You don't have much to lose. 

• Agree 1

51 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

This logic is flawed and based on unfounded fear. 

You already have a franchise QB so there is no need for a "mini rebuild."

A change of scheme and players might be exactly what the team needs. It worked immediately for Philly and a guy named McVay did pretty well too. 

Folks, the status quo isn't working. What makes you think things are going to change for the positive? I just don't get the resistance to change. 

Lastly, there isn't a lot to lose with coaching changes. Allen alone can almost get you into the playoffs. 

A bigger question is the GM position. Those are big shoes to fill. Is Beane is likely gone if McD goes? I like Beane but many of his his moves just haven't produced the desired results. As for qualifying candidates I have no idea. 

26 minutes ago, PayDaBill$ said:

So we’re good as is?  I see nothing from the current regime that indicates they can produce beyond mediocre.  Josh isn’t improving under McD he’s regressing which is never a good sign.

So I guess we can put you in the do nothing, stay the course, fear of change McClappy camp.

BTW what do you think the Daboll and McD riff was over. Hint McD got his way, & Josh got neutered by an offensive scheme that doesn’t fit his game.

Agree 100%.

26 minutes ago, PayDaBill$ said:

BTW what do you think the Daboll and McD riff was over. Hint McD got his way, & Josh got neutered by an offensive scheme that doesn’t fit his game.

Where were you when I was saying this last year?  I nearly got decapitated on here for saying similar things. 

Edited by newcam2012

8 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

A bigger question is the GM position. Those are big shoes to fill. Is Beane is likely gone if McD goes? I like Beane but many of his his moves just haven't produced the desired results. As for qualifying candidates I have no idea. 

Agree 100%.

I don't think McD leaving means Beane is gone.  Most often GM's get at least two shots at the HC position.  In this case Beane didn't even have one. I'd be surprised if Beane fell on his sword for McD, that would be rather unprecedented.  But if he was gone that does further complicate things.

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, PayDaBill$ said:

BTW what do you think the Daboll - McD riff was over. Hint McD got his way, & Josh got neutered by an offensive scheme that doesn’t fit his game.

But the list of unsuccessful ones is much longer than the successful ones.  History says better chance you go backwards than forward.

3 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I don't think McD leaving means Beane is gone.  Most often GM's get at least two shots at the HC position.  In this case Beane didn't even have one. I'd be surprised if Beane fell on his sword for McD, that would be rather unprecedented.  But if he was gone that does further complicate things.

On the flip side if Beane is fired then McDermott most likely is as well. New GM will probably want to bring in his coach and not be forced to work with Sean.

9 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

He is the shiniest object of all the objects.

You seem to ascribe that label to anyone the Bills could potentially acquire who might be good enough to make a real impact.

If that's the definition we're working with then sign me up for all the shiny objects.

4 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Now do OBJ.

Insert picture here of Odell Beckham holding up the Lombardi Trophy for a team that traded for him midseason.

What's better- not winning the Superbowl or maybe winning the Superbowl?

Do you care about championships or nah not your thing

1. Ben Johnson's lack of ability to incorporate a talent as electrifying as Jahmyr Gibbs into the gameplan until injuries forced his hand has been a sight to behold.

2. It may be due to head coach Dan Campbell's input, but the Lions offense is primarily a power run team. If you like the idea of the Bills running on 1st and 2nd downs and generally being one of the run heaviest teams in the league, perhaps Johnson is for you.

3. Even if we agree that Ben Johnson IS a good offensive coordinator, good offensive coordinators do not always make good head coaches.

4. Sean McDermott has the second (or is it first by now?) highest winning percentage of any head coach in Bills history. He also has one of the top five winning percentages in the NFL over the past several seasons. I believe he's second only to the Chiefs and Andy Reid since 2020.

5. Be careful what you wish for. Fans tend to equate "new coaching hire" with "automatic improvement", but that's simply not a guarantee. They old saying "it can't get much worse"? Well, it absolutely CAN get worse.

6. I'm not necessarily even opposed to a coaching change in the offseason if this Bills team falls vastly short of expectations, but can we at least wait to have that conversation until the team doesn't have a winning record, just one game back of the division lead?

7. I need a drink.

On 10/23/2023 at 11:06 AM, FrenchConnection said:

Ben Johnson has a lot of the same problems that Dorsey has. His offense is Goff and St. Brown. St. Brown is getting around 12 catches a game while everyone else has less than 5. They're struggling to work Jameson Williams and Jamir Gibbs into the offense. Everyone loved Sam LaPorta, but he has not gotten the ball in the past two games at the same rate. If that was the Bills, you would be yelling about the scheme. I'm not saying that he's not a good OC, but you have to look at his offense with the same level of criticism as you do the Bills offense and Dorsey. 

This is mostly true. But, they may both be kind of floundering, but there’s one huge difference. Johnson has Goff and Dorsey has Allen. Johnson has basically took a very average QB and made him look great. Can’t imagine what Johnson could do for Allen. 

15 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

This will depend on who he hires as a DC. Many coaches comes in as DCs or OCs, and then promptly start hiring people as a form of returning favors and end up hiring the wrong people. Or, they just hire yes people. Or, they sway from their lane and try to be mini emperors - they don’t delegate and end up failing. 

McD did a great job hiring Daboll. He was basically hands off. McDaniel has done a great job in Miami. He’s hands off with his D (insert joke); he didn’t let his ego get involved and hired the best defensive man available. 

On 10/23/2023 at 8:06 AM, FrenchConnection said:

Ben Johnson has a lot of the same problems that Dorsey has. His offense is Goff and St. Brown. St. Brown is getting around 12 catches a game while everyone else has less than 5. They're struggling to work Jameson Williams and Jamir Gibbs into the offense. Everyone loved Sam LaPorta, but he has not gotten the ball in the past two games at the same rate. If that was the Bills, you would be yelling about the scheme. I'm not saying that he's not a good OC, but you have to look at his offense with the same level of criticism as you do the Bills offense and Dorsey. 

Quit showing me the weeds when I'm just trying to see if the grass is greener.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

Insert picture here of Odell Beckham holding up the Lombardi Trophy for a team that traded for him midseason.

What's better- not winning the Superbowl or maybe winning the Superbowl?

Do you care about championships or nah not your thing

Did you need your time machine for that one?  Now do 2023 OBJ.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.