As we all hate on Ken Dorsey today let’s remember

Buffalo_Stampede

1 minute ago, PBF81 said:

If it's not in the skillset of a head coach to be able to identify the simple things that we're identifying here, then it's time for a new head coach.  

Sorry, but that's the truth.  

The issues of the offense yesterday were obvious to anyone watching.  

We can all arm chair gm and Monday morning quarterback, I am not at the level of anyone who coaches or plays the game. So my opinions and fixes for this team aren't anything but opinions. We can say it's easy to see and this is how you fix it but in reality we aren't at the level of knowledge in football that Nfl players and coaching staffs are.

If it's not in the skillset of a head coach to be able to identify the simple things that we're identifying here, then it's time for a new head coach.  

Sorry, but that's the truth.  

The issues of the offense yesterday were obvious to anyone watching.  

Well yeah but if they seem obvious to the dedicated fanbase they must be so also to everyone at OBD (and not just McD but to Dorsey himself). I think McD probably gives his coordinators a lot of autonomy and I actually respect that in him. The problem is that maybe Frazier and especially Dorsey are not always quite up to snuff. 

I will say this this when I think about this week, as far as game planning goes, we did kind of get shafted basically getting a short week while the Jaguars got the whole thing, surprise having a whole 2 weeks in London was an advantage ***** you Goodell.

Still felt like we stubbornly refused to adjust when the Jaguars defensive gameplan was clearly working against us most of the game.

• Agree 1

55 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

And our offense has lost playoff games too.  

Not in a regular basis.  And which game did it cost us besides the Bengals game last season?  And you did realize that the only reason we even played that game was because of the offense, right?   

The offense has been responsible for the playoff success that we have had.  

46 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

It would be really great if our media could ask Dorsey what the heck he was thinking with this sequence:

11-7 Jags 

14:00 min left in the 4th quarter. 

TOP to that point was 29 minutes Jags, 15 minutes Bills. 

We go:

Kincaid for 14 yards

Harris up the middle for 5 yards. 

2nd-5 - We bring in 3 Tight Ends and try to throw to Q.Morris? Dawkins gets flagged for holding. Now 2nd-15.

2nd-15: Misfire to Knox. 

3rd-15: Allen bomb deep to Diggs out of desperation to try and make anything happen - INT. 

We take a grand total of 1:30 off the clock and the defense is forced to go right back on the field. 

Jags brutalize the Bills and go up 18-7. Game over. 

But don't worry Bills fans, since that delayed draw to Cook was working so well, we tried it again with 5:00 to go down 18-13 for -2 yards and a complete waste of 30-seconds. 

Instead Buffalo media will ask Dorsey about if he is tired today and jet lagged from going to London, and his general feelings towards Josh Allen. 

Well you see it was the last thing they'd expect...because it was so incredibly stupid. I mean clearly they're spotting this play somehow so what's the hope, that they think "Come on you can't possibly be this brain damaged, clearly this is a trap."

9 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Cuz most people don’t expect pro bowl seasons from rookies. Then there are people here who complain about a rookie not being all pro. Most of them wrote Bernard off after his rookie season. Give it a rest already. 

No, but people do expect a 1st-round pick that was made with numerous other needs on the team, to actually play and be used effectively and to their strengths, particularly when they demonstrate that they're quite capable.  

47 minutes ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

Lacks consistency. The D. is consistently good game to game for the most part. The O. Is either really good or meh.

When they decide to run more Murray/Harris, sprinkle in a little Cook then you will see the difference in the offense. You have to let teams like the Jets and Jags that you can be PHYSICAL too. Let them know we have the guys that can maul you and we have a Diggs/Allen combo that can DESTROY you. Kinda like the Niners do except Purdy is NO JOSH ALLEN

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BillzFreak said:

We can all arm chair gm and Monday morning quarterback, I am not at the level of anyone who coaches or plays the game. So my opinions and fixes for this team aren't anything but opinions. We can say it's easy to see and this is how you fix it but in reality we aren't at the level of knowledge in football that Nfl players and coaching staffs are.

Implying that McD is helpless to correct offensive issues is ridiculous, which is the general take here.

IF that's truly reality, then sorry, but it's time for a head coach than can do that given the ridiculous underachievement/inconsistency on the offensive side.  

Numbers are numbers, but there's two big things working against Dorsey from a fan appreciation perspective:

1. Aesthetics - You watch teams like Miami, San Francisco, KC and Philly and you just salivate over all of the interesting motions and pre-snap looks they give, how often they scheme guys wide open and how many of their weapons they are able to get involved and consistently utilize.  It just looks so easy for them.  I get it.  They've got a lot of talent, but I'd argue that we do as well.  We know what guys like Knox and Cook can look like (Harty is trending there too) when they are put in good positions to make plays.  Far too often, things look "hard" for the Bills' offense.  Maybe it's just Josh holding it too long, but the play design doesn't inspire confidence in Dorsey.

2. We have a HOF truly unicornesque QB in his a prime paired with a HOF borderline GOAT route-running WR in his prime.  This offense should be top-5 by default based on those two pieces (paired with a competent o-line, of course) alone.  You see what a guy like Daboll did with them versus what he's working with now. He went from league darling to what looks like a bottom-3 offensive mind in 18 months.  It's hard to shake the feeling that we couldn't replace Dorsey with pretty much any NFL offensive coordinator and get similar or better results.  

Edited by TheBrownBear
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

“The offense is really good.”

Sometimes… usually against the stiffs, losers and also rans!

And sometimes, it’s like it’s designed by as someone said…Temp Sports guy from Buff State.”

Cook is a failure- negative yards yesterday. A terribly wasted draft pick, way too small to get through any holes and use his speed.

And, it’s the TE thingee- stupid! We were supposed to see Kelce/Kittle light! Instead we’ve got Tommy Sweeney and all his clown incarnations!

A TE combined 5 catches for barely 35 yards! 0 TDs

Kittle- 3 for 67, 3 TDs

Kelce- 10 for 67, 1 TD.

The Offense is offensive… insipid! 

Not in a regular basis.  And which game did it cost us besides the Bengals game last season?  And you did realize that the only reason we even played that game was because of the offense, right?   

The offense has been responsible for the playoff success that we have had.  

The KC Chiefs AFCCG our offense was lousy.  The week before, it was lousy against the Ravens but our defense came through.

The defense kept us in the game last year against the Dolphins.  The Dolphins didn't move the ball all game but we gifted them with 3 turnovers that brought them right back in the game.  One turnover lead directly to a TD on a fumble recovered, the INT put the Dolphins in the redzone and the other gave them the ball at midfield.  Not to mention a punt returned in or close to the redzone.  

Our offense played well in the first half but let the Dolphins back in and the defense kept it from getting out of control.  

10 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

Well yeah but if they seem obvious to the dedicated fanbase they must be so also to everyone at OBD (and not just McD but to Dorsey himself). I think McD probably gives his coordinators a lot of autonomy and I actually respect that in him. The problem is that maybe Frazier and especially Dorsey are not always quite up to snuff. 

That's the point, it's also his job to perhaps not give as much autonomy, or step in to correct if the OC isn't cutting it.

Either way, him getting a complete pass because "he's a defensive minded coach" had gotten old and is immediately at this point.  

Maybe time for an offensive-minded head coach then given the absurd wealth of talent we have on offense, and FINALLY, this cannot possibly be overstated, a decent OL.  

Just sayin'.

• Like (+1) 1

What I want to know is how come other offenses seem to always have a guy wide open constantly and make big plays and the Bills struggle with it?

Look at yesterday, Ridley was constantly wide open and made big plays down the field. Add in Etienne making big gains on the ground.

Why can't the Bills offense do that?

1 hour ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

Missing the details. Shotgun draw to Cook  goes for negative. 

He ran that same play in jets stadium on 2nd and 15 in ot also...no gain 😆 

1 minute ago, Jrb1979 said:

What I want to know is how come other offenses seem to always have a guy wide open constantly and make big plays and the Bills struggle with it?

Look at yesterday, Ridley was constantly wide open and made big plays down the field. Add in Etienne making big gains on the ground.

Bc we have an unqualified OC put into his position by a HC who doesn't even want to be bothered by the offense

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Implying that McD is helpless to correct offensive issues is ridiculous, which is the general take here.

IF that's truly reality, then sorry, but it's time for a head coach than can do that given the ridiculous underachievement/inconsistency on the offensive side.  

Again we have no idea if McDermott already told Dorsey if this is how he wants the offense to run. This already may be on McDermott is all I'm saying. And if that's the case the coaching is done and dusted and we may be out of answers. We blame dorsey and say McDermott needs to step in and fix it but this shorter pass game and not letting Josh really run might of been his call.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

Diggs is often open in similar situations

and Ridley is a very good wideout in his own right

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

The KC Chiefs AFCCG our offense was lousy.  The week before, it was lousy against the Ravens but our defense came through.

The Ravens game is the one game, but we wouldn't have even been there without the O.  

In that Chiefs game, spin it as you have, the defense was far worse.  

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

The defense kept us in the game last year against the Dolphins.  The Dolphins didn't move the ball all game but we gifted them with 3 turnovers that brought them right back in the game.  One turnover lead directly to a TD on a fumble recovered, the INT put the Dolphins in the redzone and the other gave them the ball at midfield.  Not to mention a punt returned in or close to the redzone.  

Our offense played well in the first half but let the Dolphins back in and the defense kept it from getting out of control.  

Skylar Thompson 

4 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

That's the point, it's also his job to perhaps not give as much autonomy, or step in to correct if the OC isn't cutting it.

Either way, him getting a complete pass because "he's a defensive minded coach" had gotten old and is immediately at this point.  

Maybe time for an offensive-minded head coach then given the absurd wealth of talent we have on offense, and FINALLY, this cannot possibly be overstated, a decent OL.  

Just sayin'.

I think McD is an outstanding defensive mind and coach, sorta like Bill. I wouldn't want to lose that. What he needs is an OC who can pull his weight and be on his level. He doesn't have that. Dorsey isn't there yet.

2 minutes ago, BillzFreak said:

Again we have no idea if McDermott already told Dorsey if this is how he wants the offense to run. This already may be on McDermott is all I'm saying. And if that's the case the coaching is done and dusted and we may be out of answers. We blame dorsey and say McDermott needs to step in and fix it but this shorter pass game and not letting Josh really run might of been his call.

All we know is that the reasons need to be addressed from the top down.  

If there's been one common theme to our weaknesses on McD's watch, it's been inconsistency, for which preparation is a huge factor.  

That's all but exclusively a coaching issue.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.