Gabe Davis - deep stat improvement

dave mcbride

Just now, dave mcbride said:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DaviGa01.htm His success rate on passes thrown his way and his catch rate are significantly higher than in the past. Granted, it’s only a quarter of the season. I will never treat him as the second coming or as a 1A, but the deeper numbers indicate real improvement.

Saw a chart before the Miami game that showed he’s catching the ball when open but is one of the least open WRs. One of the worst when it comes to separation.

Right now the Bills passing game is Diggs and everyone else.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

After 4 games, I still have no idea what to make of him.  

He has a role in this league.  He has to be one of the more prolific big play receivers out there, but I can’t help but wonder what this offense could look like with a WR2 that can simply run a complete route tree, consistently, with a moderate level of separation. 

• Agree 11

11 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DaviGa01.htm His success rate on passes thrown his way and his catch rate are significantly higher than in the past. Granted, it’s only a quarter of the season. I will never treat him as the second coming or as a 1A, but the deeper numbers indicate real improvement.

I don't think the numbers tell us much at all........still looks like the same guy to the eye test.

My belief has been that less targets would make him more efficient.........and I could easily say the lower amount of targets and better catch % support that.........but 18 targets with 1 drop and 2 interceptions thrown his way is still enough of a mixed bag for such a small sample size.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I am very interested to see the coaches tape on this last game re Davis

It seemed the Dolphins tried the routine that worked last season where your CB1 (Howard) takes Davis away and your second guy (Kouhu) brackets Diggs w safety helping

Not sure that's exactly what happened but if it was it will be interesting to see if they just did a terrible job on Diggs or if Dorsey had a counter for it

If it's the latter watch out NFL

• Agree 2

17 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Saw a chart before the Miami game that showed he’s catching the ball when open but is one of the least open WRs. One of the worst when it comes to separation.

Right now the Bills passing game is Diggs and everyone else.

Honestly this is the way it should be. The offense every week should be 6-10 targets to Diggs and 25 targets to 6 other receivers. We have sucked at spreading the ball around. 

I’ve never been a huge proponent of 1a/1b. You need a guy and a bunch of “pretty good” to spread the defense out. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Just now, Mango said:

Honestly this is the way it should be. The offense every week should be 6-10 targets to Diggs and 25 targets to 6 other receivers. We have sucked at spreading the ball around. 

I’ve never been a huge proponent of 1a/1b. You need a guy and a bunch of “pretty good” to spread the defense out. 

We need another guy that will win on his route. That guy is probably Kincaid. We know what Davis is. Davis is a guy we can dial up a shot play for or look for on broken plays.

• Agree 1

41 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I don't think the numbers tell us much at all........still looks like the same guy to the eye test.

My belief has been that less targets would make him more efficient.........and I could easily say the lower amount of targets and better catch % support that.........but 18 targets with 1 drop and 2 interceptions thrown his way is still enough of a mixed bag for such a small sample size.

Yeah, and I have my issues with him, but the eye test in this case might be a little deceiving. His 66.7 catch rate and 18.3 ypc might mean we’re looking at an Alvin Harper ‘92 season. That said, early days. Long way to go.

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

After 4 games, I still have no idea what to make of him.  

He has a role in this league.  He has to be one of the more prolific big play receivers out there, but I can’t help but wonder what this offense could look like with a WR2 that can simply run a complete route tree, consistently, with a moderate level of separation. 

Why can’t this forum accept Davis as one of the better big game players in the league. Look at his stats for the last 3years in the playoffs,there better than Diggs. Our offense is humming and he’s catching TDs and has been our deep threat. Forget the route tree and just enjoy his production. He’ll be resigned on a team friendly deal and be a good player for the foreseeable future.

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Mango said:

So far this year in 4 games Allen has completed passes to 8,9,9 and 8 different receivers.  I would say that's a pretty good job spreading the ball around. 

Diggs weekly has dominated targets. So it looks like what you are describing is transpiring.  We have that #1 guy that absorbs targets and to me seems like the rest of the guys are role players that may see more action depending on matchup. I like the versatility it offers as well.

• Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

So far this year in 4 games Allen has completed passes to 8,9,9 and 8 different receivers.  I would say that's a pretty good job spreading the ball around. 

Diggs weekly has dominated targets. So it looks like what you are describing is transpiring.  We have that #1 guy that absorbs targets and to me seems like the rest of the guys are role players that may see more action depending on matchup. I like the versatility it offers as well.

Yeah, this year is different/better.

I was more taking to the last few years. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Eastport bills said:

Why can’t this forum accept Davis as one of the better big game players in the league. Look at his stats for the last 3years in the playoffs,there better than Diggs. Our offense is humming and he’s catching TDs and has been our deep threat. Forget the route tree and just enjoy his production. He’ll be resigned on a team friendly deal and be a good player for the foreseeable future.  

Yeah, I don't get it either.  

He's got 3 TDs in four games, and his detractors give everyone but him credit.  I mean what does he have to do.  

Of his 12 catches, 11 have gone for 1st-Downs or TDs, with the 1st-Downs contributing to scoring drives, I think in every case.  Most teams would be happy to have a WR do that.  

He's on pace for 935 yards and 12 TDs, which by last season's standards would have put him at 24th for receiving yards and tied with Kelce for 2nd in receiving TDs.  24th!  2nd for TDs!  

But he's not good enough.  It's mindboggling.  

SMH  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Yeah, I don't get it either.  

He's got 3 TDs in four games, and his detractors give everyone but him credit.  I mean what does he have to do.  

Of his 12 catches, 11 have gone for 1st-Downs or TDs, with the 1st-Downs contributing to scoring drives, I think in every case.  Most teams would be happy to have a WR do that.  

He's on pace for 935 yards and 12 TDs, which by last season's standards would have put him at 24th for receiving yards and tied with Kelce for 2nd in receiving TDs.  24th!  2nd for TDs!  

But he's not good enough.  It's mindboggling.  

SMH  

If he continues to catch the ball like he has a lot of his critics would disappear. 

I think a lot of his stats are because he gets to play with Josh Allen.

Just now, Breakout Squad said:

True. I wasn’t trying to disparage Davis, but Allen made a throw that maybe only he can make. 

No doubt...when he let it go I was like holy ***** please Davis squeeze that thing because youre about to catch hold of a hellfire missile 😂😂

I think other QBs can layer that throw in there but nobody else can match that trajectory

loved the design and Davis did a great job

• Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

If he continues to catch the ball like he has a lot of his critics would disappear. 

I don't think so.  I think some will simply never be happy with him.  

Last season, playing injured a good chunk of it, 35 of his 48 catches went for TDs (7) or 1st-Downs (28) and contributed heavily to us scoring and keeping drives alive.  

The types of patterns he's asked to run, and let's be clear, he runs what he's instructed to run by Dorsey, are low-percentage deep-routes.  Allen likes him too for that purpose.  

10 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I think a lot of his stats are because he gets to play with Josh Allen.

Can't the same be said about all of the WRs on the team. 

Also, in contrast, everyone's applauding Kincaid, who has fewer than half the yards, about a third the yards-per-catch, 0 TDs, and only 3 1st-Downs to Davis' 8.  

Of Kincaid's 3 1st-Downs, only two have occurred on scoring drives, both of those drives leading to a FG, whereas I believe all but one of Davis' catches have been on drives leading to scores totaling 54 points.  

For a 4th-round draft pick he's one of Beane's best value picks if not the best outright.  There isn't a day-3 pick that's provided better value for the pick.  He's 

There were 16 WRs drafted ahead of him in 2020.  He's got more TDs (23) than all but one, Jefferson. (28)  He's got more yards than all but 7.  Considering the TD/Yardage ratio, he's better than anyone in that draft.  Jefferson logs a TD for every 192 receiving yards.  Davis logs one for half of that, every 96 receiving yards.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.