2023 MVP: Lamar will win it with 15 fewer TDs than Josh Allen (end of season talk pg 75+)

transplantbillsfan

12 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

This is probably his best season, so not sure about a down year.

He started out absolutely red hot and has gotten less effective as the season went on. Yes, he leads the league in TDs but other than that his stats are dropping throughout the year. He has been inconsistent, showing flashes of greatness followed by lots of bad decisions or missed throws. He is near the top of the league in turnovers. Today he had a passer rating of 53.3 with 0 passing TDs, 1 rushing TD, 1 INT, and 1 fumble (which we recovered). His completion percentage has been dropping over the last several games. Is he still in the top ten QBs? Yes. But it is not his best year in terms of overall performance.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Okay it's done now. Josh didn't get a lot of help today but he was not very good. And Lamar balled out and wrapped up the #1 seed with a 10th win over a winning record team. They are not to me MVP numbers but in a funky year he is going to be the MVP.

I'm glad he did it, and credit to him for 5 TDs, but there's such a difference in the playcalling/playmakers. Not to say that Josh should be it this year (he doesn't deserve it) but how many times have we seen Josh throw to anyone this year as wide open as Flowers was on that TD? And then finish the play like he did? Or one of our WRs make a catch like OBJ at the 1? 

At this point Lamar's really the only player who "makes sense" to win it but like you said it's been a funky year. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, HalftimeAdjustment said:

He started out absolutely red hot and has gotten less effective as the season went on. Yes, he leads the league in TDs but other than that his stats are dropping throughout the year. He has been inconsistent, showing flashes of greatness followed by lots of bad decisions or missed throws. He is near the top of the league in turnovers. Today he had a passer rating of 53.3 with 0 passing TDs, 1 rushing TD, 1 INT, and 1 fumble (which we recovered). His completion percentage has been dropping over the last several games. Is he still in the top ten QBs? Yes. But it is not his best year in terms of overall performance.

He had 2 rushing TDs, and 1 INT. Nobody cares about recovered fumbles. His WR had at least 3 drops as well which is killer.

It was a rough day for sure, but if you look at the season as a whole it is probably his best statistical season. I think he is 1 rushing TD from tying the single season QB rushing TD record (which Hurts actually holds for this season, but almost all of his are tush pushes, which is less impressive).

6 minutes ago, Hermes said:

I'm glad he did it, and credit to him for 5 TDs, but there's such a difference in the playcalling/playmakers. Not to say that Josh should be it this year (he doesn't deserve it) but how many times have we seen Josh throw to anyone this year as wide open as Flowers was on that TD? And then finish the play like he did? Or one of our WRs make a catch like OBJ at the 1? 

At this point Lamar's really the only player who "makes sense" to win it but like you said it's been a funky year. 

I mean he had Shakir wide open for TD today. Literally wide open and a clean pocket. At some point he has to see that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

He had 2 rushing TDs, and 1 INT. Nobody cares about recovered fumbles. His WR had at least 3 drops as well which is killer.

It was a rough day for sure, but if you look at the season as a whole it is probably his best statistical season. I think he is 1 rushing TD from tying the single season QB rushing TD record (which Hurts actually holds for this season, but almost all of his are tush pushes, which is less impressive).

I stand corrected on the rushing TDs. No doubt his knack for running in TDs is great, and has not declined.

As far as the recovered fumble, people see a guy with a reputation for turnovers holding the ball out while getting tackled, the first thought in their minds is not "MVP".

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I mean he had Shakir wide open for TD today. Literally wide open and a clean pocket. At some point he has to see that.

Yeah, it's frustrating that Allen for whatever reason has a hard time seeing when he has open guys. Not just for TDs but to extend drives. Whether it's an RB in the flat, or someone in that 5-15 yard range and he'll let one rip, or hold on too long and try to make something happen with his legs. It's almost like he gets tunnelvision on what he wants to happen. It's why he hasn't been MVP yet

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, HalftimeAdjustment said:

I stand corrected on the rushing TDs. No doubt his knack for running in TDs is great, and has not declined.

As far as the recovered fumble, people see a guy with a reputation for turnovers holding the ball out while getting tackled, the first thought in their minds is not "MVP".

People who vote for MVP don’t watch random 1pm regular season games. They watch primetime games and then take a peek at the box scores after the season. Nobody will know Allen reached for a first down and fumbled, because they will only see lost fumbles as a column in a table at the end of the year.

Jackson wrapped it up this week likely because Allen had a bad enough week to hurt his season totals and Jackson had a stellar game boosting his TDs a lot. Even still, if Allen has a huge game next week on Sunday Night Football (which I’m guessing will be the most watched football game of the regular season), then he will probably finish 2nd and get a handful of first place votes.

• Thank you (+1) 1

• transplantbillsfan changed the title to 2023 MVP Race: Allen would need a "Heisman moment" in Primetime against the Phins (Pats talk pg 66+)
2 hours ago, WNYFAN1 said:

This thread should be closed. No shot anymore.

It's not "no shot." But it is long shot.

If Allen plays a game similar to the game Lamar played this week next week in what will be a Primetime (is there any doubt about this?) game that clinches the division and #2 seed for the winning team, he’s going to get a bunch of votes.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, HalftimeAdjustment said:

It's over for Josh regardless. It has been over for him. He is far behind several other players and today just puts an exclamation point on that. It happens, QBs have down years.

Man... we're so spoiled all the sudden.

If my QB is having a down year when he accumulates 4500+ yards and 42 TDs in a year he’s completing over 65% of his passes... sign me up immediately for that HOF career.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

Too many inconsistent halves of football this year to be in the MVP race. There’s probably less than 5 games this year where Allen was hot from start to finish and was the primary reason his team won the game. Too many times this season we’ve said “run the ball more, throw less” yet the thought of taking the ball out of Josh’s hands would’ve been unfathomable going into this year.

Of course the struggles haven’t been all his fault and even though he has great stats, he hasn’t been a Michael Jordan type of player who consistently rises to the occasion despite failures by his teammates to elevate their level of play. He’s just been a piece of the offense, who also makes critical errors and mistakes but also leads the league in TDs with a great assist to his legs.

I don’t know if Allen will ever win league MVP but that’s not what I care about. Super Bowl MVP would be 1000x greater. 

9 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

It's not "no shot." But it is long shot.

If Allen plays a game similar to the game Lamar played this week next week in what will be a Primetime (is there any doubt about this?) game that clinches the division and #2 seed for the winning team, he’s going to get a bunch of votes.

If there is any shot it would be that, he'd have to have a pretty ridiculous day against the Dolphins, which to be fair is a very Allen vs. Dolphins thing to do on what would be a National stage. Still very long shot. 🤷‍♂️ Oh well, nothing to do but get into the Playoffs and make this very mid MVP award being given out look ridiculous.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, FireChans said:

What are you trying to say?

I think he’s saying if Kelly and his merry men of cocaine sniffers actually took their jobs seriously, we would have a Lombardi by now. 

Edited by mrags
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Sad 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.