[Fish Forum]: The Bills Are Overrated & They Will Be Exposed on Sunday

Matt_In_NH

3 hours ago, Ralonzo said:

Thanks. Just to expound on it, almost the entirety of the modern NFL runs route trees that sight-adjust based on the leverage relative to the defender. QBs succeed or fail in the NFL by their ability to process and correct for those adjustments. What is "revolutionary" about Miami's offense is that it doesn't use those concepts as much as a timing scheme where the ball arrives at a window along with the receiver, or if can scheme a guy to be Alabama-open. Tua can be effective if either/both of those things happen because he's accurate short & intermediate and can hoist it far enough (usually) if a guy is runnnig free by 5 yards. But, if opponents start showing up in those windows and/or guys aren't Alabama-open, it looks more like yesterday's 2nd half.

I'll give credit though, the intermediate throw to Mostert on the wheel route down the right sideline was perfectly placed. Two feet shorter or deeper and it's defended or picked.

Im wondering too how much we turned their revolutionary wrinkle into a detriment.  Looked to me like the Bills were using the motion as an offensive key to their defense.  So maybe we know were sending a creeper pressure but dont know whos dropping into coverage (probably based on which side the motion is on) and whos coming (probably based off of responsibilities on the back end, so dependent on who went into motion).  This type of defense would be killer cause while the defense will all know whats going on like normal (assuming rather heady players), the offense cant get a read cause the defense isnt declared til that final motion which is right before the ball is snapped.  Will be asking film geeks about that this week.      

• Like (+1) 1

• billsfan_34 changed the title to Post Miami Game Positional Grades (Miami Fan Board)
50 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

The highlight they showed on NFLN highlighted the area in the field where the throw was going with a yellow circle just as the ball was snapped. I don't know if it's film study or what, but Bernard recognized where the route was going and moved to carry the receiver, which may have affected the timing/position of the receiver as the ball arrived at the spot where he wasn't - instead landing like a classic Tua soap bubble in Hyde's hands.

Love it. He's been carrying receivers deep downfield all year. Kid just gets it, and has the speed to do it.

Exactly the type of play we were waiting to see from that other guy. If you arent getting the picks yourself, at least get in the lane to make the QB overthrow.

Finally seeing it happen.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, ganesh said:

they did have 390 yards of offense and none of them were during garbage time.   Their offense is potent; it is just that the Bills offense was better on the given day

Yes, their offense is potent and they will have better days, but they had 150 yards in the first two drives, and 120 yards (including the big Achane run) in the 4th quarter after we were up by 28 points.  I'd say those were garbage time yards.  It wasn't just our offense being better.  Our defense completely destroyed them for the majority of the game, certainly after those first two drives.

Edit: Also, just wanted to add that I had a lot of fun reading FinHeaven last night.  Lol.

Edited by TheBrownBear

Just now, TheBrownBear said:

Yes, their offense is potent and they will have better days, but they had 150 yards in the first two drives, and 120 yards (including the big Achane run) in the 4th quarter after we were up by 28 points.  I'd say those were garbage time yards.  It wasn't just our offense being better.  Our defense completely destroyed them for the majority of the game, certainly after those first two drives.

As a Dolphins fan said on their board "Tua is great from 20 yard line to 20 yard line". But then what...

He can get yards, but without those big, explosive plays, he cant get it done.

• Agree 2

25 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Love it. He's been carrying receivers deep downfield all year. Kid just gets it, and has the speed to do it.

Exactly the type of play we were waiting to see from that other guy. If you arent getting the picks yourself, at least get in the lane to make the QB overthrow.

Finally seeing it happen.

Bernard is much more noticeable than Edmunds was, not only because he always seems to be around the ball, but also because he always seems to talking to/encouraging his teammates between and/or at the end of plays.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I noticed today they’re saying when they get their injured players back it will be another story. Okay, well they weren’t saying that pre-game. They were going to stomp us as-is. 

What they seem to be forgetting is we got to Tua without Von. They get players back, but so do we (Von & Poyer). Outside of Tre, that one hurts. I’m hoping we can do something in that regard before the trade deadline. 

Also, maybe Elam will step up? Idk. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Bernard is much more noticeable than Edmunds was, not only because he always seems to be around the ball, but also because he always seems to talking to/encouraging his teammates between and/or at the end of plays.

And for 2 (maybe 3?) weeks in a row, they've cut to him on the sidelines, cutting it up with Diggs and Davis and Milano. Never saw that from the other guy.

Love seeing the youngster crossing over and bringing the entire team together.

• Agree 2

42 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

As a Dolphins fan said on their board "Tua is great from 20 yard line to 20 yard line". But then what...

He can get yards, but without those big, explosive plays, he cant get it done.

If Tua wants to become a great QB, he needs to learn the mental aspects of reading a defense and going through his progressions. Anyone can be good when your first read is schemed wide open every play. Kudos to him for being accurate and decicive, but he got rattled when his first read wasn't available.

So far, he has shown to be a system QB. And he doesn't have the elite physical traits to fall back on, so I don't know how much farther he can progress. When Allen struggles to read a defense or gets rattled, he at least has elite physical traits to fall back on and can still make a great play.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, MJS said:

If Tua wants to become a great QB, he needs to learn the mental aspects of reading a defense and going through his progressions. Anyone can be good when your first read is schemed wide open every play. Kudos to him for being accurate and decicive, but he got rattled when his first read wasn't available.

So far, he has shown to be a system QB. And he doesn't have the elite physical traits to fall back on, so I don't know how much farther he can progress. When Allen struggles to read a defense or gets rattled, he at least has elite physical traits to fall back on and can still make a great play.

For the record, I am not a believer in Tua at all, and hope the Dolphins get stuck setting the QB market with him this offseason. 5 more years of wins for us.

46 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

For the record, I am not a believer in Tua at all, and hope the Dolphins get stuck setting the QB market with him this offseason. 5 more years of wins for us.

We'll see, I think McDaniel got very ego-driven in this game. They did get the first 2 TD's on the ground, but from what I can tell on the Gamebook MIA was 18 passes out of 26 total plays in the first half. I think the one-dimensional nature hurt them, especially once McDermott nailed down how to thwart Tua's looks. When you want to show off your prowess as a playcaller, it's easy to go pass heavy. And at least at this point Tua isn't the type of QB that is going to excel in the possession passing game.

Edited by pocoboy
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, pocoboy said:

We'll see, I think McDaniel got very ego-driven in this game. They did get the first 2 TD's on the ground, but from what I can tell on the Gamebook MIA was 18 passes out of 26 total plays in the first half. I think the one-dimensional nature hurt them, especially once McDermott nailed down how to thwart Tua's looks.

I was surprised they abandoned the run as well. Especially considering those RBs can rip off big chunk gains that mimic a high-power passing game.

5 hours ago, mannc said:

Miami has zero home field advantage after September.  I expect at least 35 percent Bills fans at the December game in Miami. I think the Bills’ players like going down there that time of year, as well.  Gives them a break from the cold.

After November - just sayin’ its still hot down there in October 😊

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.