Oline/QB Unforced Error All 22 Review - Week 2 Raiders

Bocephuz

In the past i used to do lengthy in depth posts with gifs.. don't have time for that nowadays

I watched every passing snap to evaluate pass blocking performance as well as Josh Allen unforced errors committed (PASS BLOCKING ONLY EVALUATED.. did not evaluate running plays). 

UNFORCED ERROR  =  Allen has time to throw, wr is open and he misses throw.. or.. Allen makes poor unforced decision 

OLINEMAN BEATEN =  O lineman clearly loses his one on one matchup... or.. clearly misreads stunt/combo block

____

OLINEMAN BEATEN STATS

DAWKINS - 0

MCGOVERN - 1

MORSE - 0

TORRENCE - 1

BROWN - 6 

-DAWKINS - Dion had near a perfect game in pass pro to my eye

- MCGOVERN - Was not beaten one on one at all by my eye.. however.. like last game he misread a stunt 

- MORSE - Morse had much easier competition this week.. and came away with a strong game and a clean sheet. 

- TORRENCE - Another fine game for the rook.. he's a gem. He was beaten by bull rush once and got holding call on that play I believe. But other than that excellent.

- BROWN - Don't let anyone tell you Brown had a good game. He was his usual turnstile self.  Despite 7 plays where the RB or TE helped to chip Crosby (which was a successful strategy).. on the plays where he didn't have help he gave up 6 pressures. He is incapable of handling speed rush to the outside. 

- DORSEY - 7 chip assists from RB / TE

OL SUMMARY :  The line was much better in pass pro this week... (save for Brown of course). Dorsey made a conscious effort to get some chips on Maxx Crosby and that certainly helped. However.. you can't really chip on every play.. and those plays where 79 was one on one with 98 were generally big wins for 98.

QB UNFORCED ERRORS:  Josh had 1unforced error by my count.  Based on my history of doing this kind of analysis when a qb has 5 or more unforced errors the chances of his team winning decrease materially.  

SIGNIFICANT PLAYS - 

q1 - McGovern misreads stunt and gives up pressure

q2 - Cook does excellent job picking up rb blitz

q3- Torrence beaten by bull rush.. holds

q3- Brown beaten by speed rush from 98 results in incompletion

q3 - Brown beaten on very next play by 98 on a Madden-Like spin move from Crosby.. Allen hangs in pocket and makes incredible cross body throw to Shakir for TD. That right there is as good as it gets from #17 or any QB.. on of the best throws I've ever seen. 

q3- Brown beaten again by 98 speed rush

q3- UE 1 - Josh has unforced error.. throw to Kincaid in the flat is too low.. gets blocked by DE. 

q3- SACK - really can't blame anyone for this one here. Great blitz called by Raider DC .. Allen had no choice but to eat it and take the sack

SUMMARY  -  Dorsey's use of the TE and RBs to chip and slow down Crosby was necessary and overdue. That gives me hope that in the future we'll see more of that against the elite DE's coming up. The rest of the o line was generally outstanding in pass pro.. but Spencer Brown is really not an NFL level tackle. I hate being a broken record.. and I keep hoping to see 79 make adjustments to beat the speed rush.. but it just never happens and at this point likely never will. Hopefully Germain Ifedi can get up to speed.. or maybe they can sign L'Ael Collins and hope he'll be healthy by the end of the season.

Hats of to Josh Allen though. He corrected last week's issue of bailing out of the pocket unnecessarily. He got the ball out on time and in rhythm.. and when he did occasionally need to go off schedule he was a magician.  

Edited September 13 by Bocephuz

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 18

Nice analysis. Joe Marino had similar things to say about Brown, that when he was one-on-one with Crosby it wasn't pretty.

With the Bills running much more 12 personnel, that should make it more simple to have TE's chip and help block, so that is another benefit.

Brown is the weakest link, but it is rare to have 5 good starters on an oline, so the Bills will need to make it work. At least he run blocks well.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Thanks again @Bocephuzwas your report.  Please keep them coming.

Good to hear that Cook can pick up pass rushers and have a positive outcome.

It's so disheartening that Spencer can be so good at run blocking and so poor on the pass rush.

Happy to do it.. really helps me get a better understanding of what really happened in the game.

Cook probably had 3 or 4 excellent blitz pickups during the game.. 

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

Nice analysis. Joe Marino had similar things to say about Brown, that when he was one-on-one with Crosby it wasn't pretty.

With the Bills running much more 12 personnel, that should make it more simple to have TE's chip and help block, so that is another benefit.

Brown is the weakest link, but it is rare to have 5 good starters on an oline, so the Bills will need to make it work. At least he run blocks well.

Love the 12 personel. Now I ust need to see a little more of JA under center in future games ( he was UC a fair amount this game.. would like to see 4 or 5 addl plays of him under center a game though

Edited by Bocephuz
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, MJS said:

When we run 12, it seems a lot of the time Kincaid is playing a "big slot" role, that will put the blocking load on Knox.

This is the thread I look forward to most each week.  Thanks for taking the time @Bocephuz.  We really appreciate you 👊🏻 

edit:  the shakir TD was my second fav throw he’s ever made.  My favorite being, also against the raiders in 2020, the TD to John Brown.  Very similar to the shakir TD but a little further outside and against great D and 10 yards further iirc.  

just incredible stuff.  Like Garrett Wilson’s TD catch vs us, only in QB terms and not really talked about in the media.  

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 5

2 hours ago, BearNorth said:

When we run 12, it seems a lot of the time Kincaid is playing a "big slot" role, that will put the blocking load on Knox.

There were a few times they lined up on the far right side, next to each other. We left Brown 1 on 1 vs Crosby and then ran the play to the other side.

I can see that formation being used alot this year. It's a way to take the ineptitude of Brown out of the equation without chipping. 

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, NewEra said:

This is the thread I look forward to most each week.  Thanks for taking the time @Bocephuz.  We really appreciate you 👊🏻 

edit:  the shakir TD was my second fav throw he’s ever made.  My favorite being, also against the raiders in 2020, the TD to John Brown.  Very similar to the shakir TD but a little further outside and against great D and 10 yards further iirc.  

just incredible stuff.  Like Garrett Wilson’s TD catch vs us, only in QB terms and not really talked about in the media.  

That Shakir one was so good. Crazy throw. Trying to see if I can find that John Brown one you're referring too. I will always love the throw he did against Jacksonville. Thing of beauty seeing the ball just explode outta that cluster surrounding Allen.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Bocephuz said:

- TORRENCE - Another fine game for the rook.. he's a gem. He was beaten by bull rush once and got holding call on that play I believe. But other than that excellent. . . .

SIGNIFICANT PLAYS -

q3- Torrence beaten by bull rush.. holds

I really like Torrence.   Questions about this bull rush loss.

Was he bull-rushed more than once, and it only worked one time?

I'm wondering of DCs are gonna see this and start giving him a steady diet of bull-rush. 

Seems like for somebody as big as him to get bull-rushed and lose, its technique.   So why did he fail, did he fix it, and do you think he can?

(and seriously, thank you so much for these)

1 hour ago, JerseyBills said:

How good does Dion look next to a pretty good RG? 

That's huge if we can get an elite year out of him

I loved the McGovern signing and Harty

There's a reason they were the only FA to get a multi year deal

great point about Dion finally having a legit pro like McGovern next to him. makes big difference 

42 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

Crosby wasn’t a second team All Pro and Pro Bowler because he’s able to be blocked consistently by one guy. Brown didn’t give up a sack to him which is pretty good for an average tackle in my book. 

Allen got rid of the ball or escaped 4 or 5 times and bailed Brown out. A normal pocket qb like Tua would have gotten crushed 

29 minutes ago, maddenboy said:

I really like Torrence.   Questions about this bull rush loss.

Was he bull-rushed more than once, and it only worked one time?

I'm wondering of DCs are gonna see this and start giving him a steady diet of bull-rush. 

Seems like for somebody as big as him to get bull-rushed and lose, its technique.   So why did he fail, did he fix it, and do you think he can?

(and seriously, thank you so much for these)

good question. from what i’ve seen it’s only happened once per game .. so i don’t think it’s a strength thing. more likely temporary technique or leverage breakdown 

It is true that rest of Raiders line is average at best

It is also true that 2020 was the last year the Bills had a RT who could actually hang with elite DE’s and not get embarrassed and that was iDarryl Williams

No coincidence that 2020 was #17 best year.. maybe one of best years in NFL history 

53 minutes ago, Bocephuz said:

It is true that rest of Raiders line is average at best

It is also true that 2020 was the last year the Bills had a RT who could actually hang with elite DE’s and not get embarrassed and that was iDarryl Williams

No coincidence that 2020 was #17 best year.. maybe one of best years in NFL history 

Joe Marino also said Brown was beaten constantly.

This is on film so the coaches have to see it.  Is he really the best we can do there?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.