THE ROCKPILE REVIEW - Mistake-free Josh

Shaw66

10 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

Mistake made in going for the leap instead of trucking the defender into oblivion inside the 5.  Apparently they both went easy on each other (with the defender not powerbombing him Waterboy style) because they were former teammates/friends or something.

You're right.  I just posted the same thought in Virgil's thread.  Josh should recognize that when the guy stays high, Josh can just power right through him.  

• Like (+1) 2

Most of his mistakes involve him shifting to hero mode. What Josh may have finally realized yesterday is that checking down (taking what they give you), not only minimizes the turnovers but will later allow him to go deep later in the season when defenses adjust. 

33 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

Mistake made in going for the leap instead of trucking the defender into oblivion inside the 5.  Apparently they both went easy on each other (with the defender not powerbombing him Waterboy style) because they were former teammates/friends or something.

Teams don't go low on him anymore, so he's got to put to bed the amazing highlight leaps which will forever be part of his legacy. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

41 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I did learn something while stuck in the pregame traffic:  WGR’s Jeremy doesn’t know what he’s talking about.  Sunday morning, he said over and over again that Bills fans had to take Josh Allen’s bad with his good.   He said that if you want all those miraculous things that Josh Allen and no one else can do, you have to take the bone-headed turnovers and the bone-jarring collisions.  He said that eliminating Josh’s mistakes will eliminate his greatness. 

Think about that for a minute.   It’s more or less axiomatic that good QBs throw about three TD passes for every one interception.  He seemed to be saying that we all have to live with a couple of stupid interceptions a game (like against the Jets last week), which means that if Josh is going be a good QB, he needs to throw six TDs a game.  Josh may be great, but he isn’t that great.   

No.  Jeremy White was pretending he knew what he was talking about when in fact he doesn’t have a clue.

Here’s the simple proof.  Patrick Mahomes is a great QB.  He and Josh Allen are the only QBs in the league who regularly do magical thinks on the field.  All the other QBs are just football players; every week, Mahomes and Allen make throws that are among the top highlights on every network.  What’s the difference between the two?   Well, about five years ago, Mahomes stopped making stupid plays.  That’s the difference.

When Allen stops making stupid plays, he will be one of the greatest QBs of all time, possibly even the very best.  The only thing keeping Allen from being that great are the mistakes that Jeremy White tells us we should live with. 

The good news for Buffalo Bills fans is that Jeremy White isn’t the Bills’ head coach.  We all can be sure that Sean McDermott is not telling Josh Allen that those 50-yard throws into double coverage are okay.  No, Sean McDermott actually understands football.  Sunday it was clear that Sean McDermott and Ken Dorsey had taken Allen out behind the proverbial woodshed and whipped his proverbial butt and told him the proverbial beatings would continue until he stopped playing like a proverbial jackass.  Or something like that.   

Allen got the message.  Sunday afternoon, pass play after pass play, Allen followed the script.  He took the throw he was supposed to take, delivered the ball accurately, and moved on to the next play.  Lots of those throws were little dump offs to receivers two yards downfield for four-yard gains.  There were more or less no spectacular 45-yard darts across the field that left us exclaiming that no one else could make that throw.  But guess what?  Those stupid little dump offs kept adding up to six-and eight-minute touchdown drives.   Over and over.

The dump-offs help free up the good long throws.

Josh does not need to go to woodshed each week; it is negative reinforcement after a good game.

Jeremy is the one who needs to go to woodshed but won't because it appears he attracts listeners like himself and those are the type that buy items and services advertised on his show.  They should learn lesson of Buffalo News who canned Sulking Sully because a big advertiser quit (my brother's father-in-law) because he did not want to advertise anyone whose opinion columns (there certainly were not sports journalism) were idiotic.

If you watched the Jags game you would have seen that Mahomes, in fact, has not stopped making stupid plays, he just makes a lot less of them than Allen does...he literally threw up the exact same ball into double or triple coverage Allen did 3 times in the Jets game to the Jags and had it picked...he only did it once tho.

59 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

In case you’re wondering, across Abbott Road from Highmark Stadium where thousands of Bills fans used to park, there’s a huge hole in the ground.  I mean really huge.  Big enough to put a whole football field in it.  In fact, as I understand, Kim and Terry Pegula are planning to do just that. 

Of course, all of the people who used to park there now must park somewhere else, and they all must find their way to those somewhere elses.  The powers that be, Erie County and Orchard Park and the Buffalo Bills, probably made their best collective guesses about how to get all of those people to all of those different parking spaces before Sunday’s home opener against the Oakland-Los Angeles-Oakland-Las Vegas Raiders, but their guesses weren’t good enough.  There was a LOT of traffic pregame, and leaving the stadium wasn’t any better. 

I took my usual route, south on Union Road and then southwest on Southwestern at about 9:30.   That’s when I first began suspecting that something was wrong.   Cars were backed up from the stadium almost all the way to Union.  Not a good sign.  An hour later, I still hadn’t entered the stadium parking lot.  It was a mess. 

We stayed until the end of the game, and then we stayed in the club for twenty minutes or more to watch the end of the 1:00 p.m. games.   By the time we got to the car, just about all of the fans were at least 40 minutes ahead of us, and it still took us more than a half hour to get out of the lot.   Cars were everywhere. 

I did learn something while stuck in the pregame traffic:  WGR’s Jeremy doesn’t know what he’s talking about.  Sunday morning, he said over and over again that Bills fans had to take Josh Allen’s bad with his good.   He said that if you want all those miraculous things that Josh Allen and no one else can do, you have to take the bone-headed turnovers and the bone-jarring collisions.  He said that eliminating Josh’s mistakes will eliminate his greatness. 

You aren't making my optimistic for traffic going forward in games.  

6 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

If you watched the Jags game you would have seen that Mahomes, in fact, has not stopped making stupid plays, he just makes a lot less of them than Allen does...he literally threw up the exact same ball into double or triple coverage Allen did 3 times in the Jets game to the Jags and had it picked...he only did it once tho.

Weren't they on at the same time as the Bills?

Yeah, I know.   It's volume that distinguishes the two.  Mahomes gets tempted by the big play, too.  

Whatever.  I was encouraged yesterday.  The Bills need to keep Josh's head on straight.  And, by the way, pass protection helps!  Easy to lose your head when some big dudes are in your face all day. 

13 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Ha, thought the same thing when I saw the Mahomes pick...bet the talking heads won't get on his case about it like they do with Josh.

4 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Weren't they on at the same time as the Bills?

Yeah, I know.   It's volume that distinguishes the two.  Mahomes gets tempted by the big play, too.  

Whatever.  I was encouraged yesterday.  The Bills need to keep Josh's head on straight.  And, by the way, pass protection helps!  Easy to lose your head when some big dudes are in your face all day. 

It was...I have out of town games streaming on my laptop/phone to kinda of check out in between action of the Bills game.

Allen's greatest gift is his greatest curse...he believes he is the baddest MOFO on the field every play and wants to show them eventually, especially if he feels the offense isn't doing it's part or not living up to it's standard of play...

Bills have now scored 30+ points in 27 games over the past 4 seasons, most in the NFL. He has gotten accustomed to it and wants it every game even when the gamescript and gameflow doesn't dictate it.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

It was...I have out of town games streaming on my laptop/phone to kinda of check out in between action of the Bills game.

Allen's greatest gift is his greatest curse...he believes he is the baddest MOFO on the field every play and wants to show them eventually, especially if he feels the offense isn't doing it's part or not living up to it's standard of play...

Bills have now scored 30+ points in 27 games over the past 4 seasons, most in the NFL. He has gotten accustomed to it and wants it every game even when the gamescript and gameflow doesn't dictate it.

Yeah.  He has to learn and control his behavior to fit the game.  

By the way, I saw some whirling dervishes a few months ago.  Fascinating. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Special K said:

Ha, thought the same thing when I saw the Mahomes pick...bet the talking heads won't get on his case about it like they do with Josh.

I agree with you that I can't stand the media ball-washing for Mahomes, but whether we like it or not, the has earned it.  The guy has been to 3 Super Bowls and won 2 of them.  Also, he only had 1 turnover on Sunday and his team won the game.  Josh had 4 last Monday and his team lost the game.  The media is generally favorable for Allen, and was correct that his poor play cost the Bills the Monday night game.

All that said, I'm a huge Allen fan and was extremely pleased with how he played on Sunday.  Maybe there will be a silver lining in the Jets game in that it showed Allen what he needs to do (and not do) to be successful and he will be more consistent going forward.  If he plays like that the rest of the way, the Bills will be very difficult to beat.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I generally agree with your points, but Mahomes only had two fewer INTs than Josh last year. Here are 3 of them in the same game. It almost cost the Chiefs the game at the hapless Broncos. Also, I'm not sure why Prescott doesn't take more heat for careless play. Dak had 15 INTs in 12 games and he doesn't make the spectacular plays that somewhat excuse Josh and Pat's risk-taking. And all of this is to say that Mahomes has bad regular season games too. He does really bring it in the playoffs, though.  

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

He threw a ball to his o lineman as well who actually caught it haha

3 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

That's the $250,000,000 question.

Are we really pretending it’s only Josh. No dependency of coaching play calling or the opposing defense.  here is the answer to question. Keep the defense off of Josh for the 2 seconds he need’s to process.  The elite Josh always shows up in a that situation. 

Edited by Chaos
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

In case you’re wondering, across Abbott Road from Highmark Stadium where thousands of Bills fans used to park, there’s a huge hole in the ground.  I mean really huge.  Big enough to put a whole football field in it.  In fact, as I understand, Kim and Terry Pegula are planning to do just that. 

Of course, all of the people who used to park there now must park somewhere else, and they all must find their way to those somewhere elses.  The powers that be, Erie County and Orchard Park and the Buffalo Bills, probably made their best collective guesses about how to get all of those people to all of those different parking spaces before Sunday’s home opener against the Oakland-Los Angeles-Oakland-Las Vegas Raiders, but their guesses weren’t good enough.  There was a LOT of traffic pregame, and leaving the stadium wasn’t any better. 

I took my usual route, south on Union Road and then southwest on Southwestern at about 9:30.   That’s when I first began suspecting that something was wrong.   Cars were backed up from the stadium almost all the way to Union.  Not a good sign.  An hour later, I still hadn’t entered the stadium parking lot.  It was a mess. 

We stayed until the end of the game, and then we stayed in the club for twenty minutes or more to watch the end of the 1:00 p.m. games.   By the time we got to the car, just about all of the fans were at least 40 minutes ahead of us, and it still took us more than a half hour to get out of the lot.   Cars were everywhere. 

Think about that for a minute.   It’s more or less axiomatic that good QBs throw about three TD passes for every one interception.  He seemed to be saying that we all have to live with a couple of stupid interceptions a game (like against the Jets last week), which means that if Josh is going be a good QB, he needs to throw six TDs a game.  Josh may be great, but he isn’t that great.   

No.  Jeremy White was pretending he knew what he was talking about when in fact he doesn’t have a clue.

Here’s the simple proof.  Patrick Mahomes is a great QB.  He and Josh Allen are the only QBs in the league who regularly do magical thinks on the field.  All the other QBs are just football players; every week, Mahomes and Allen make throws that are among the top highlights on every network.  What’s the difference between the two?   Well, about five years ago, Mahomes stopped making stupid plays.  That’s the difference.

When Allen stops making stupid plays, he will be one of the greatest QBs of all time, possibly even the very best.  The only thing keeping Allen from being that great are the mistakes that Jeremy White tells us we should live with. 

The good news for Buffalo Bills fans is that Jeremy White isn’t the Bills’ head coach.  We all can be sure that Sean McDermott is not telling Josh Allen that those 50-yard throws into double coverage are okay.  No, Sean McDermott actually understands football.  Sunday it was clear that Sean McDermott and Ken Dorsey had taken Allen out behind the proverbial woodshed and whipped his proverbial butt and told him the proverbial beatings would continue until he stopped playing like a proverbial jackass.  Or something like that.   

Allen got the message.  Sunday afternoon, pass play after pass play, Allen followed the script.  He took the throw he was supposed to take, delivered the ball accurately, and moved on to the next play.  Lots of those throws were little dump offs to receivers two yards downfield for four-yard gains.  There were more or less no spectacular 45-yard darts across the field that left us exclaiming that no one else could make that throw.  But guess what?  Those stupid little dump offs kept adding up to six-and eight-minute touchdown drives.   Over and over.

What about Allen’s greatness?  Oh, it was still there, for sure.  It was there in all three touchdown passes:  A rocket to Gabriel Davis that would have whizzed through the hands of almost any receiver who hadn’t spent three years catching Allen rockets.  An exquisite fake handoff and rollout to find Dawson Knox alone in the endzone.  A trademark it’s-a-pass-no-it’s-a-run-no-it’s-a-pass-how-did-he-do-that? to Khalil Shakir.  An Allen rollout right and perfect floater into Davis’s hands for a first down, a throw with the kind of touch that people used to say Allen didn’t have. 

Yes, some people might say, but where was the deep ball?  What about that play when Allen hit Kincaid for a first down on the sideline as Davis had broken deep up the same sideline?   What about it?   The whole point of what’s been wrong with Allen’s game is that he often passes up the easy completion for a higher-risk-higher-reward throw.   Trying to hit Davis on that play was going to get Allen another trip to the woodshed.  Instead, he took the easy first down and moved on to the next play. 

When did Allen throw it deep?   Once, when he had Diggs one-on-one.   Not one-on-two, like last week when Josh threw an interception.  Diggs one-on-one deep is a good play.  The pass interference call set up a touchdown. 

Against the Raiders, Josh Allen played with the efficiency that makes Joe Burrow and Tua Tagovailoa so difficult to play against.  But Allen was playing that way with a right arm those guys can only dream of.  He was playing that way with the ability to escape and run at any time.  Against the Raiders, we saw what Josh Allen can be, week after week.  McDermott and Dorsey need to figure out how to get that Josh Allen to show up every week.  If it takes a weekly trip to the woodshed, so be it.

Meanwhile, it’s still a team game, and there are a lot of other guys on the team.  For example:

Greg Rousseau.  Wow.  He’s added the bull rush to his repertoire, and now he’s a terror.  There were others, but the play that stands out was in the third quarter, third down.  He drove the offense tackle straight into Garoppolo, who escaped to his right.  Oliver flashed under Groot and was in the QB’s face in an instant, forcing a throw-away and a punt.   Rousseau is becoming special.

Terrel Bernard.  The guy is not perfect, but he’s far from a liability.   Instant-quick recognition, real quickness to the ball, and picture-perfect tackling technique. 

Gabriel Davis. 

Offensive line.  Josh had the time he needed, and the room to run when time expired. 

The running back room.   What a great mix of backs.  Each can do multiple things, but none of them does all the same things as the others.  Each is a threat to run or to catch it out of the backfield.  Each is a threat to make quality plays. 

Did Milano catch that ball, or was it the receiver’s head?  Or both?  What a play.

Diggs?  Give it time.  As Josh keeps hurting teams short, the time is coming when Diggs will break free. 

Great game!

GO BILLS!!!

The Rockpile Review is written to share the passion we have for the Buffalo Bills. That passion was born in the Rockpile; its parents were everyday people of western New York who translated their dedication to a full day’s hard work and simple pleasures into love for a pro football team.

Shaw, amazing as always.  You summed up what I said about Allen after Monday night. The only difference between Allen and Mahomes, is mahomes said ( and then did) that he needed to do the 10-13 play drives.  Montana, Rogers, Brady, Mahomes all did/ Do it and look at the results.

The rocket shots WILL open up. They will just be fewer and farther between and that's just fine.

4 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

So if they stay high, like in the cited example, truck them into the dirt.

Damn straight!

I love this paragraph, and I think it is all true . . .

"We all can be sure that Sean McDermott is not telling Josh Allen that those 50-yard throws into double coverage are okay.  No, Sean McDermott actually understands football.  Sunday it was clear that Sean McDermott and Ken Dorsey had taken Allen out behind the proverbial woodshed and whipped his proverbial butt and told him the proverbial beatings would continue until he stopped playing like a proverbial jackass.  Or something like that." @Shaw66

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

I thought the play calling was much better yesterday on offense (outside of the opening possession). They went back to what they did the first 4 games of last season. Use the short pass to open up the running game, control the clock, and keep the other offense off of the field.

The double dip before and after halftime made it 28-10 and they were in cruise control from then on. The only playcall I didn't love was on 4th and goal at the 1, thought hey could have just run a QB sneak. But Diggs was wide open. Someone said they thought the pass was intended for Diggs (but Knox got his hand in the way). I can't remember the last time they had a power back like Murray or Harris who could grind out yards to chew the clock.

The defense played great after the opening possession, and were a lot quicker to make adjustments than in years past. Let's go Buffalo!!! Go Bills!

3 hours ago, Big Turk said:

All QB's do it feom time to time, it's the nature of the beast.  But Mahomes, Rogers, Burrow just do it a heck of a lot less.  

2 hours ago, jlgarsh said:

I thought the play calling was much better yesterday on offense (outside of the opening possession). They went back to what they did the first 4 games of last season. Use the short pass to open up the running game, control the clock, and keep the other offense off of the field.

The double dip before and after halftime made it 28-10 and they were in cruise control from then on. The only playcall I didn't love was on 4th and goal at the 1, thought hey could have just run a QB sneak. But Diggs was wide open. Someone said they thought the pass was intended for Diggs (but Knox got his hand in the way). I can't remember the last time they had a power back like Murray or Harris who could grind out yards to chew the clock.

The defense played great after the opening possession, and were a lot quicker to make adjustments than in years past. Let's go Buffalo!!! Go Bills!

I like all of these comments.  Interesting topics. 

Someone suggested that the opening series play calling was a message to Allen:  We're doing this by the book, and we're not giving you even an opportunity to make a big play.  If your teammates all do their job, you'll grind out a first down, but this offense is not going to depend you, Josh Allen, to carry the team.  Whether it was intentional, I think it had that effect.  

I'm usually a "take the points" guy, but I liked going for it.  Three minutes left, so if you don't make it, you're telling the Raiders they have to move the ball at least 60 yards just to get a field goal.  And you have confidence that your defense is up to the challenge.  In fact, on third down is when Rousseau made the great bull rush and Oliver forced Garoppolo to throw it away to avoid the safety.  I liked the gamble, thought it was relatively low risk.  

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Someone suggested that the opening series play calling was a message to Allen:  We're doing this by the book, and we're not giving you even an opportunity to make a big play.  If your teammates all do their job, you'll grind out a first down, but this offense is not going to depend you, Josh Allen, to carry the team.  Whether it was intentional, I think it had that effect.  

I'm usually a "take the points" guy, but I liked going for it.  Three minutes left, so if you don't make it, you're telling the Raiders they have to move the ball at least 60 yards just to get a field goal.  And you have confidence that your defense is up to the challenge.  In fact, on third down is when Rousseau made the great bull rush and Oliver forced Garoppolo to throw it away to avoid the safety.  I liked the gamble, thought it was relatively low risk.  

Thanks! What do you think about the Josh concussion theory from last game? I feel like there might be something to it. 

7 minutes ago, jlgarsh said:

Thanks! What do you think about the Josh concussion theory from last game? I feel like there might be something to it. 

I really haven't thought about it, and I've read nothing of the evidence - when it might have happened, what evidence of confusion afterward is there, lot's of stuff I know nothing about.   So, I think it's certainly possible, but I have no idea how likely it is that was the reason.  Ultimately I'd say no, because although the Jets game may have been among the worst of his off-script games, it was far from the first time that we've seen him making decisions like that.  I think it is a learned behavior.

I haven't written this before, but when I saw Josh on the sideline before the start of the Jet's game, I said to my wife that I thought the Bills were in trouble.   He had a look that I've seen before.   He was wide-eyed, looked like kid for whom the moment was too big.   He didn't look emotionally ready.   And then in the third and fourth quarter, on the sideline sometimes they'd show him and his face was flushed - red like he was overheating or ov.er-excited.   I've seen that look before - first time was the Texans playoff game.  

So, instead of a concussion, if I had to look for the problem, I'd say it was about his emotional preparedness for the game.   He wasn't in the mental state of mind that allows him to be in full control of the game.   I think Mahomes, for example, is pretty consistently mentally ready.   And, give Mahomes a mild concussion and he might make decisions like Josh.  

Whatever.  We saw on Sunday what can happen when he's zeroed in, mentally, with a good game plan.  He was deadly.  

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Special K said:

They wouldn’t get on Josh’s case about it if he made one error.  It’s when Josh channels the Wasatch Brewing Company Polygamy Porter motto “why have just one?” that he rightly draws criticism

Mahomes had a 3 INT game just last season, vs Denver.  But the Chiefs won, so it wasn’t seen as a big issue.

5 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

Jeremy White may be thinking of Josh Allen as a finished product, and his week one performance is part of who he is.  If that is the case, then White could be right.  Hopefully, that is not the case and Josh can become more consistent in his exercise of discipline in passing. 

Yes, that could be what White is thinking.   But implicit in what he was saying that when Josh is good, he's so good that you can afford to have a QB who has those games.  I think most coaches would say that no one is so great that you can afford to have him give away a couple of games a year.   That is, if the coach knows that his QB is going to lose two games a season for you, the coach would tell the GM they need a new QB. 

Elam is a similar case.  Talent that isn't doing the job the way the coaches want.  Obviously different, but similar in that sense.  The team isn't going to keep playing Elam if they don't think he can do the job the right way.  They won't keep Allen, either, if they don't believe that he can reshaped into a guy who makes decisions the right way.   

Allen's a smart guy.  McDermott's not stupid, either.  I don't think there's any way McDermott thinks that Allen is a finished product.  

13 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

They wouldn’t get on Josh’s case about it if he made one error.  It’s when Josh channels the Wasatch Brewing Company Polygamy Porter motto “why have just one?” that he rightly draws criticism

Mahomes had a 3 INT game just last season, vs Denver.  But the Chiefs won, so it wasn’t seen as a big issue.

Wrong. With few exceptions, the media wants to be right about Josh being a reach and a project with no accuracy blah bla bl. They can’t wait for the ‘see I told you game’. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Thanks for your thoughts Shaw!  I remember early in Josh’s career us lamenting over the fact he couldn’t throw the easy swing pass so the receiver could keep running. That is certainly no longer an issue. Dang that was a clinic. 

After reviewing the game highlights, I found myself enchanted with what they did with Crosby several times. Extra guy to slow him down a bit and funnel him into Brown with little remaining momentum. Then the extra guy went out and caught a pass with no one in the area. It was repeated many times with no answer from the defense. Genius on Dorsey’s part I dare say. Maybe he is a mad scientist?

Edited by Heathcliff

9 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

this is an excellent example of a false narrative.  Over the last two years, Allen has a whopping four more interceptions than Mahomes.  FOUR.  When it comes to stats that try to count “balls that should have been intercepted”, Mahomes and Allen have similar counts.  Allen has three more interceptions than Burrows over the same time period.  

But Mahomes stopped making stupid plays apparently and Allen is Jekyll and Hyde.  If you watched Mahomes, you’d see someone that he does it all the time too.  Literally watch the highlights of the Jags game.  Watch Burrows be inaccurate as hell the last two weeks and barely move the ball

it’s just an untrue narrative that started with fans, creeped into the local media, and then is now a national narrative.  Allen throws about the same amount of interceptions than the other two franchise QBs in the league

4 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

All QB's do it feom time to time, it's the nature of the beast.  But Mahomes, Rogers, Burrow just do it a heck of a lot less.  

interception totals the last two years between Allen, Burrows, and Mahomes…29, 26, and 25.  Yea I don’t think Mahomes and Burrows do it a heck of a lot less.  

Edited by Crayola64
  • Thank you (+1) 3

23 minutes ago, iccrewman112 said:

hurdling/leaping ensures no planted leg knee injuries.

It's true.  And someone point out last week that the leap in the Jets game looked like a good way to protect the ball.  

I don't know.  Bottom line is the more you leap over tacklers, the less effective it's going to be, because players are preparing for it.  

39 minutes ago, Numark3 said:

this is an excellent example of a false narrative.  Over the last two years, Allen has a whopping four more interceptions than Mahomes.  FOUR.  When it comes to stats that try to count “balls that should have been intercepted”, Mahomes and Allen have similar counts.  Allen has three more interceptions than Burrows over the same time period.  

But Mahomes stopped making stupid plays apparently and Allen is Jekyll and Hyde.  If you watched Mahomes, you’d see someone that he does it all the time too.  Literally watch the highlights of the Jags game.  Watch Burrows be inaccurate as hell the last two weeks and barely move the ball

it’s just an untrue narrative that started with fans, creeped into the local media, and then is now a national narrative.  Allen throws about the same amount of interceptions than the other two franchise QBs in the league

interception totals the last two years between Allen, Burrows, and Mahomes…29, 26, and 25.  Yea I don’t think Mahomes and Burrows do it a heck of a lot less.  

That's interesting.  Thanks.  But I wasn't talking just about interceptions.  I was talking about decision making.    Look at completion percentage.  Burrow 3, Mahomes 9, and Allen 32 last year. (Some partial seasons in there, but still, Allen's pretty far down the list.)    Lower completion percentage is some indication of poor decision making (although pass rush certainly might contribute to low completion percentage).    

• Agree 1

The Bills are nearly unbeatable when they play disciplined on offense.  I still think they have to attack the chains on every down but it doesn’t have to be a big play.  They choked the life out of the Raiders in the second half.  When they capped the first drive with a TD after 9+ minutes in the 3rd quarter it was game over.  That’s also a fun way to win, even if it’s less exciting, because it is exerting a dominance on the opposing D that will open everything else up and seal the game. I like dominating wins a lot more than exciting plays in close games that can go either way.  I want to see the backups get reps bc the game is decided. 

i’d like to see more well designed plays that are easy, bc that is one thing that separates the Chiefs from the Bills.  There are so many designed plays that are just simple execution that Reid has, making it a lower degree of difficulty for the offense.  I feel like the Bills have a tendency to get away from that - maybe that is on Josh, but I think it is on Dorsey at the end of the day.  The quick throws they do have to Harty are not well designed because he has to operate in a phone booth and involves no type of scheme to create space for him to turn on the jets. 

The running back rotation is good.  Cook is shifty and if he had more balance in the open field he’d be a superstar.  He is a bit feast or famine on his runs, and I like what they are setting up with the shotgun draws where Allen is basically rolling into the handoff.  Teams are going to start keying on this and bringing the safety down, which should open up big gains on easy crossing routes if they play action instead of handoff.  Murray is huge and a great back to have in short goal to go situations.  Harris is kind of like Singletary- he’s not an exceptional back but has decent vision, good speed and is a tough tackle.

Nice post Shaw. 

I particularly like the ‘taking Josh behind he woodshed’ part, as it’s something that needs to be done to get the message across.

Allen is all about ‘team’ in many respects, but I feel he needs reminding just how much his own performance can impact ‘team’, when he plays recklessly. 

The guys at he bottom end of the roster, need the extra bucks that wins give them, and Josh having a dumb game, costs them badly. Yet without them, you never get the win regardless. That’s ‘team’, and I also think it’s a message Josh will be open to. 

13 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Let's not forget that this huge increase in 12 personnel is going to take some getting a feel for in terms of philosophical change to the offense as well...last year we were one of the lowest, if not THE lowest, in terms of using 12 personnel.  This year so far we are #1 by a country mile in terms of 12 personnel.  

I don't think it's unfair to say Dorsey is still getting a feel for how to use this package to their advantage best and probably will continue to learn and adjust over the course of the first 8-10 weeks, I would imagine.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.