Do the Bills need a " Quarterback Whisperer?"

Returntoglory

1 minute ago, Chaos said:

yes it is sarcastic. in a thread that deserves only sarcasm and derision. 

from you.

Some of us respect each other enough to refrain. Others ?

buts yea , Chaos can do Chaos. Often give me a chuckle with some nice counterpoints.

You know distraction and Chaos are the Devils handiwork ?

LOL 😍

2 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

Dorsey's 42 so the age gap is greater. Plus he was with Daboll and has helped overseen Josh's progression from 2019 onwards, so had Daboll for support for the first two years. Brady only came in last year.

Got it , and thank you ! 👍😉

• Eyeroll 1

4 hours ago, Mango said:

Kyle Shanahan. And he wouldn’t be a QB coach, he’d be the head coach. 

If there was a way to get it done, at just about any cost other than trading away Allen, I’d likely pay it. 

Shanahan would HATE Allen. He wants a QB to play in structure.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Beck Water said:

With respect, I think that's a "can't go home again" situation.  Dorsey was on the sidelines as QB coach.  That's not the same as returning him to the sidelines as OC.  Different role.

I'm not saying it shouldn't be tried or didn't work, but it's not as though Dorsey the QB coach would be coming back to the sideline.

Agreed, but what is happening on the sidelines? It could be selective shots, but every time after a bad play Josh seems to be alone. If so, why? If he has dealt with things better that way before, it doesn't appear to be working now. Instead he seems to be spiralling thanks to his thoughts. Who is there to try and stop it happening? Am I right in saying Dorsey cannot even communicate with Josh if he takes his helmet off?

Before he had Dorsey and, as he wasn't calling defense, McDermott to an extent. Who's there now? There's no replacement for McDermott and is Brady having the required impact?

4 hours ago, Einstein said:

I agree.

I fully recognize that it sounds ridiculous and there is little (or perhaps zero) precedence for it, but we should have let McDermott go and kept Daboll. 

That almost never works out....this is he issue you run into when you hire an HC, if there is any success on the side they aren't specially in, those coordinators get hired on as HCs. That has fallen in KCs favor

48 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Joe Brady is the Bills QB coach.

Joe Brady is on the sideline with Josh during the game

Just a little reminder that none of us know what is going on as far as coaches laying into Josh.  They are not obligated (and in fact it is better if they don't) lay into Josh in public where you and I can see it.

We all know that both can occur.  This isn't either or

It was multiple choice...choose a or b.

12 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I don't remember Daboll saying that at all.  Any idea where/when?

I know McDaniel said he did that for Tua.

It was a press conference back in 2021, after Josh's first two uninspired games against Pittsburgh and Miami. Around the time of the Washington Commanders game.

4 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

The Bills app just posted that Orlovsky interview. Is the team sending Josh a message?

I dunno about the app, but it's been up on the website for a while.

It would be pretty stupid for the Bills to rely on an interview with an independent media member/former QB to "send Josh a message".

I believe that any messages were sent directly from various coaches' mouths to Josh's ears.

1 minute ago, Aimee75 said:

It was a press conference back in 2021, after Josh's first two uninspired games against Pittsburgh and Miami. Around the time of the Washington Commanders game.

Interesting!  Maybe Dorsey and/or Brady need to make Josh re-watch a tape where he was patient, took what the defense gave him, and moved the ball consistently.

Instead of telling him "don't think of monkeys" tell him "do think of racoons" or the like.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Your statement to which I was responding about performance art was "and daboll wud get on him I don't see anyone holding him accountable now other than diggs and that's not good for the team ."

My point is, you seem to be conflating what you SEE (or don't see) with what is actually happening in team and position meetings and in meetings with HC/OC/QB coach etc. 

We don't know what's happening there.

As far as Yips, this from Mayo Clinic:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/yips/symptoms-causes/syc-20379021

I don't think Josh is suffering from involuntary muscle spasams or focal dystonia leading to throwing INT etc.

I think Dan Orlovsky has a much better assessment and is worth a watch

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/dan-orlovsky-analyzing-josh-allen-s-game-and-week-1-s-loss-to-the-jets

Im clearly refering to the slang usage of yips from a sporting perspective I've already mentioned that..not the medical definition...its not rocket science lol 

And again I'm not talking about what wen we saw daboll confront Josh on TV.. I'm talking about what I've read about happening behind the scenes there's no guarantees its all true but consensus was daboll and him had a special relationship and he really knew how to hold Josh accountable. Its speculative like anything else but Josh doesn't seem to be learning from his careless mistakes..his TD to interception ratio since the 2nd half of last year is extremely worrisome .

3 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I dunno about the app, but it's been up on the website for a while.

It would be pretty stupid for the Bills to rely on an interview with an independent media member/former QB to "send Josh a message".

I believe that any messages were sent directly from various coaches' mouths to Josh's ears.

Interesting!  Maybe Dorsey and/or Brady need to make Josh re-watch a tape where he was patient, took what the defense gave him, and moved the ball consistently.

He could watch the opener last year against the Rams.

I remember seeing a video online of when the Jets won it all. Early in the season the Jets DC went to Namath after a few games with him throwing the ball all over the place in losses and told him that he didn't have to do it all. Their defense was enough to win games. Namath listened and the rest, as they say is history. Could someone have this conversation with Allen?

49 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I don't think it's as good.   Josh has talked about Brady being a great "Xs and Os" guy.  In 2019, he also talked about how helpful it was to have Ken Dorsey, someone who has played QB.  Reading between the lines, Josh may need the input of someone who has been out there with 300 lb guys trying to flatten him every play, someone who has felt the urge to be a hero.

I have seen shots of Josh on the sideline with Joe Brady going over a tablet.

Maybe someone who was there at the game on the Bills sideline can comment, but keep in mind what we see on the broadcast is often a snapshot, and doesn't reflect the majority of the time.  So just because we see Josh on the bench by himself for a moment doesn't mean he stays that way.  And it may be known that after he FU, he wants half a minute to gather himself.

for sure. And I agree that we don’t know a ton on that front but it does seem at the biggest moments he’s very isolated as a consistent theme. 

I really don’t know. Something is off with the overall energy of both the offense as a whole, and our qb though. At least it feels that way. And it was easy to blame blizzards and damar and laundry list of other things last year… but those aren’t a thing anymore, and maybe those weren’t the true issue last year. 

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

I mean he was basically one read and throw or bail the pocket and try to create something….often staring at the rush. He looked like a rattled rookie….wtf from a top 3 QB? Just strange. 

I thought he looked fine other than the dumb decisions. This was an elite D FYI. Very few teams have the personnel to do that to us.

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

Why is no one ever talking to Josh on the sideline after a mistake?

It could be intentional by the coverage teams. To pan to him when he’s alone. But I swear, the last time I saw so many shots of a QB isolated to the rest from the rest of his team, it was after the story broke that everyone on the Jets hated Zach Wilson.

yea it’s just weird in its consistency but also doesn’t seem to be any story that the announcers push. 

fitzy mentioned it in the manningcast right before diggs went up to him very late in the game

1 hour ago, TheBrownBear said:

I agree.  It was a huge problem last year as well, but he mostly got away with it (except for the Jets and Minnesota games).  He's always looking for the knockout blow too early when other elite QBs (Mahomes, Burrow, etc.) seem content to let the game unfold more naturally.

Yup, almost cost us in the playoffs against the Fins...could have cruised to a 30-10 win and instead he wanted it to be 55-0 and let them back into the game.

1 hour ago, UKBillFan said:

I think that can be seen with Milano's taunting call. That's inexcusable and pushed the offense back at the end of the half. An extra 15 yards and maybe they could have got a TD on the board before the break, and possibly settle Josh down rather than see him have a meltdown in the second half.

But different people react differently. Some require a dressing down, some need a gentle reminder. It's about getting it right for each player.

Agreed, you're preaching to the choir there.   It seems that McD lacks whatever it is across the board however, even with is coaches.  I can't say for sure, but it seems that he's more intent on having a happy little team (players and coaches) community, than doing what's critical in the interests of winning, particularly in the biggest of games.  

That would explain why we have no trouble getting [emotionally] up for a key game here and there during the season, but in the playoffs and when going up against better coaches, we typically struggle.  

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, FrenchConnection said:

People misremember the 2021 season. All they remember is the perfect game and the 13 seconds game. The Bills were 7-6 after week 14. They scored 6 points against the Jags. He's always been hot and cold, even with Daboll.

You're right. Hopefully this team peaks at the right time like it did 2021..... Most of what we are seeing is overreaction  .... Any seasonal success is dependent (especially in freea gency age) luck and gelling together, at the right time. .... Game one. Try not to loose it fans.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.