Loss of Edmunds is going to expose Hyde and poyer

Hebert19

One of the more dumb things ever is how terrible Edmunds was. Like the MLB of a top 3 defense isn’t important. It was so dumb.

maybe he isn’t Ray Lewis but he was a good MLB. How any team doesn’t watch that film and not try to pound the ball on us all year. 

we couldn’t pay TE but it’s a big loss.

11 minutes ago, BFLO said:

I thought Tremaine was still out there playing last night. Defense looked exactly the same as it always has under McD. 

2022 defense average 104 rush yards/ game at 4.3 ypa. Last night they allowed 172 yards at 6.1 ypa.

very astute point!!!

53 minutes ago, Drew21PA said:

Those runs had NOTHING to do with poyer and Hyde!!!!

blame Tre for the 80 yard scamper lol. Duh you bring legitimate argument to the table 

I didn't say that.  You said that I said that.  

We were talking about the vacant level of play at MLB implicitly.  

Pick on someone else.  

So the legend of Edmunds grows…

1. He has a wing span that takes away every throw that you just can’t measure when watching live

2. And now he’s the reason Hyde and Poyer were all pros.

Once again, all theories that no stat backs anything of that 

Edited by BillsFan130

1 hour ago, Hebert19 said:

Said this when he signed with bears and I will say it again now.  Edmunds while frustrating sometimes made this defense what it was.  Hyde and poyer looked slow out there.  

Mark my words we will get torched over the middle this year when not playing Zack Wilson, and give up many long runs. 

this has been a drum I beat all off-season. 

needing poyer to play forward even more, while likely slowing down too is a real risk. Suddenly he’s responsible for more green space at a diminishing ability potentially. 

he’s at a crossroads where you start to hide him a bit and instead he’s going to have more duties and take more hits. 

it’s risky.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

right, that’s the Tremaine loss. Not a stud play maker, but range speed and size. Hopefully Kirksey can still do it, then I feel better about the middle of the defense. 

Kirksey is a grasping-at-straws pick-up.  I realize that no one thinks he's Moseley, but he's about the same as Klein was and the team didn't see fit to keep Klein around.  A year younger, that's the primary difference.  

The lack of average play there is going to be most prominent when we play balanced offensive teams.  There are plenty on our schedule this season, more so than any other year under McD.  It's going to be interesting to be sure.  

Our offense is really going to need to carry this team this season.  Yesterday was not a good start, as I mentioned elsewhere, this was our worst regular season scoring output in 22 regular season games.  

26 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

One of the more dumb things ever is how terrible Edmunds was. Like the MLB of a top 3 defense isn’t important. It was so dumb.

maybe he isn’t Ray Lewis but he was a good MLB. How any team doesn’t watch that film and not try to pound the ball on us all year. 

we couldn’t pay TE but it’s a big loss.

2022 defense average 104 rush yards/ game at 4.3 ypa. Last night they allowed 172 yards at 6.1 ypa.

very astute point!!!

McDs defenses have always feasted on bad teams and gotten roasted by good teams. The stats usually average out to look good by the end of the season. 

Last night

172 yds, 6.1 avg, 0 td, long 83

Tremaine played in 4 out of the 5 games below.

Some of our run D performances last season

147 yds, 5.9 avg, 2td, long 81

172 yds, 5.1 avg, 1td, long 21

174 yds, 5.1 avg, 1td, long 25

Or 2021

264 yds, 5.7 avg, 4 td, long 40

146 yds, 6.6 avg, 4td, long 76

1 hour ago, Drew21PA said:

Those runs had NOTHING to do with poyer and Hyde!!!!

blame Tre for the 80 yard scamper lol. Duh you bring legitimate argument to the table 

Poyer missed the tackle. Took horrible angle as usual and he lost a step

Edited by noacls

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

this has been a drum I beat all off-season. 

needing poyer to play forward even more, while likely slowing down too is a real risk. Suddenly he’s responsible for more green space at a diminishing ability potentially. 

he’s at a crossroads where you start to hide him a bit and instead he’s going to have more duties and take more hits. 

it’s risky.

This.  And opens us up to over the top throws for the first time in 5 years.  Just wait.  Adams will get his this week. 

1 hour ago, noacls said:

Poyer missed the tackle. Took horrible angle as usual and he lost a step

Poyer's lost two steps. Yesterday, he couldn't run anything down unless it was straight in front of him.  McD's going to need to address it or opposing OC's will.

• Agree 1

I thought Hyde had a good game.  Poyer not so much.  Say what you want about the big runs, the defense did it's job and our new MLB looked better than expected.

Our D gave up only 16 points despite four turnovers.  They did their job.

Edited by NoName

3 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

Said this when he signed with bears and I will say it again now.  Edmunds while frustrating sometimes made this defense what it was.  Hyde and poyer looked slow out there.  

Mark my words we will get torched over the middle this year when not playing Zack Wilson, and give up many long runs. 

That's an indictment of the philosophy than it is anything else

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.