Beane adding a QB to the Practice Squad most likely tomorrow

BillsFanForever19

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

So there's some kind of serious disconnect here.  I've been watching the One Bills Live interview with Jordan Palmer.

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/one-bills-live-jordan-palmer-on-working-with-josh-and-kyle-allen

14 minutes in, Palmer is talking about how Kyle Allen is one of the "smarter young football minds"; he talks about how the Bills have a really complicated offense to learn and Kyle picked it up "really quickly"

In Beane's interview post-cutdown, he mentioned how Kyle needs to learn their offense, it's complicated, and how Case Keenum acknowledged it was a couple months into the season before he really "got it".

Is Kyle Allen one of those "catnip for Coaches" guys who's a wizard in the film room and at the whiteboard, but who either can't put pen to paper when it comes to running the offense on the field, or whose eyes write checks that their arm can't cash?

On the other hand.....the alleged comments come from the Chicago radio announcers, not Beane.  And in the linked thread, @GoBills808 asks the highly relevant question "Why would Beane say that to a Bears announcer?"

If there's one thing a GM needs, it's to live by the precept "A Closed Mouth Gathers No Feet".  He absolutely can not be babbling stuff to other team's RADIO ANNOUNCERS, media members fergoshsakes, about one of his players - especially not stuff like ""Beane told me Allen has struggled from the very beginning. He just doesn't have what it takes / it's never gonna happen for him. He said he was very concerned."

I vote "did not happen".

Edited by Beck Water

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

When one asks a question pertaining to another thread, why not just direct them there?

And it's not something I frequently do so I'm not quite sure why you said "will you quit it already?!"

I'm just a lone wolf, baying at the Moon.  My question was rhetorical in nature, and your citing of the earlier thread opened the third browser for TBD-TSW.  Desperate times called for desperate measures. 😁

1 hour ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

And over a mountain!

EDIT:  There was the problem all along.  Bills third uniform colour should have been 'trashcan grey'.  That would have boosted NP's QB rating.

That was uncle Rico that could throw it over a mountain, his problem was that he couldn't hit the garbage can like NP.

26 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Anyone know if KC fans think this guy has any redeeming NFL qualities?  did he perform well in preseason?

My nephew who’s a huge KC fan, just texted me this in response to my question about how Shane stacks up to Kyle, FWIW:

I would say about equal. He played good the first two pre season games and then Andy gave him a chance to be the backup and the 3rd game he played bad. At the end of the day I think we were gonna get Gabbert anyways just because he’s a vet and he’s been in game situations. Buchelle is good, I know a lot of people wanted him back. I think he can be a solid backup. Sometimes he looked good and others bad. But compared to Kyle Allen, Buchelle hasn’t played an official nfl snap.”

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Harvard does not offer scholarships per se.  Has not for more than 40 years.  Like the rest of the Ivy league and MIT, they offer need-based grants and loans that, with family contribution, are supposed to cover the cost of attendance.   Now whether their idea of what your family can contribute, and your family's idea, agree, is another matter.

Sounds like a distinction without a difference.

It all falls under the broader category of "financial aid."

26 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Sounds like a distinction without a difference.

It all falls under the broader category of "financial aid."

It isn't, actually (a distinction without a difference).  You either go through it and watch your fellow parents go through it and understand the practical difference between a school that offers merit scholarships, and a school that offers entirely need-based financial aid - or it probably doesn't matter to you.  But someone offered admittance and a finaid package from Harvard would know.

Edited by Beck Water

5 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

It isn't, actually (a distinction without a difference).  You either go through it and watch your fellow parents go through it and understand the practical difference between a school that offers merit scholarships, and a school that offers entirely need-based financial aid - or it probably doesn't matter to you.  But someone offered admittance and a finaid package from Harvard would know.

Whatever you say.

• Eyeroll 1

4 hours ago, Beck Water said:

So there's some kind of serious disconnect here.  I've been watching the One Bills Live interview with Jordan Palmer.

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/one-bills-live-jordan-palmer-on-working-with-josh-and-kyle-allen

14 minutes in, Palmer is talking about how Kyle Allen is one of the "smarter young football minds"; he talks about how the Bills have a really complicated offense to learn and Kyle picked it up "really quickly"

In Beane's interview post-cutdown, he mentioned how Kyle needs to learn their offense, it's complicated, and how Case Keenum acknowledged it was a couple months into the season before he really "got it".

Is Kyle Allen one of those "catnip for Coaches" guys who's a wizard in the film room and at the whiteboard, but who either can't put pen to paper when it comes to running the offense on the field, or whose eyes write checks that their arm can't cash?

On the other hand.....the alleged comments come from the Chicago radio announcers, not Beane.  And in the linked thread, @GoBills808 asks the highly relevant question "Why would Beane say that to a Bears announcer?"

If there's one thing a GM needs, it's to live by the precept "A Closed Mouth Gathers No Feet".  He absolutely can not be babbling stuff to other team's RADIO ANNOUNCERS, media members fergoshsakes, about one of his players - especially not stuff like ""Beane told me Allen has struggled from the very beginning. He just doesn't have what it takes / it's never gonna happen for him. He said he was very concerned."

I vote "did not happen".

Kyle Allen has been working with Jordan Palmer for as long as Josh has. That's how Josh and he became friends. He's a Palmer disciple. So there's a bit of a bias there. 

Not to say it was said on air. Just to say Kyle is one of his boys, so it doesn't shock me to hear him speak glowingly about him. 

Edited by BillsFanForever19

36 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Kyle Allen has been working with Jordan Palmer for as long as Josh has. That's how Josh and he became friends. He's a Palmer disciple. So there's a bit of a bias there. 

Not to say it was said on air. Just to say Kyle is one of his boys, so it doesn't shock me to hear him speak glowingly about him. 

Actually in the One Bills Drive piece with Jordan, Jordan says he's known Kyle since Kyle was in high school.  So even longer than he's been working with Josh.

Shane Buchelle is one of those guys who is a "gamer".  He doesn't have that strong an arm.  He's not very big.  He goes hard when he gets a chance to play.  I am a little surprised KC didn't keep him on the active roster.  There have been a couple times in the past KC added him to the 53 in season becasue teams were going to claim him form the Chiefs practice squad.  One of those teams was teh Cardinals a couple years ago.  

For those that might not know or remember, Buchelles dad was Steve Buchelle....a longtime MLB baseball player.  Buchelle went to Texas U before transfering to SMU and played really well there.  

I am a little sad he's in Buffalo.  Kid works and plays hard and understands what it's like to be a pro because he was raised by one.  This is about as good a practice squad pick up as you can get.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 5

47 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

Shane Buchelle is one of those guys who is a "gamer".  He doesn't have that strong an arm.  He's not very big.  He goes hard when he gets a chance to play.  I am a little surprised KC didn't keep him on the active roster.  There have been a couple times in the past KC added him to the 53 in season becasue teams were going to claim him form the Chiefs practice squad.  One of those teams was teh Cardinals a couple years ago.  

For those that might not know or remember, Buchelles dad was Steve Buchelle....a longtime MLB baseball player.  Buchelle went to Texas U before transfering to SMU and played really well there.  

I am a little sad he's in Buffalo.  Kid works and plays hard and understands what it's like to be a pro because he was raised by one.  This is about as good a practice squad pick up as you can get.

Hey, Zero, was hoping you'd weigh in.  What can you tell us about the negotiations with Chris Jones, and the 6 game suspension of DE Charles Omenihu?

Glad to here a good word for your former PS QB, now ours - I think his name may be spelled Buechele?

7 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Hey, Zero, was hoping you'd weigh in.  What can you tell us about the negotiations with Chris Jones, and the 6 game suspension of DE Charles Omenihu?

Glad to here a good word for your former PS QB, now ours - I think his name may be spelled Buechele?

The very latest on Jones is that there had not been any communication throughout camp, but during the press conferences talking about the cut down to 53, the Chiefs announced that the two sides had began talking again.

Some important points about this that suggest Jones will be back and PROBABLY will sign an extension.

1.  KC remains about 9 million OVER the cap as of today.  They have made ZERO moves to restructure other players contracts as of this post.  Jones costs 19 million against the cap if he reports and just plays out the final year of his contract this season.  The fact KC has not made any other restructuring moves suggests they think an extension can and will get done before the season opener, and thus they can free up cap space when that is signed.

2.  Jones has not asked for a trade.  Alot of times when a player and team are at an impasse, the player will request a trade so that he can be moved to a team willing to pay the price he is asking.  That hasn't happend.  And in the recent past, Jones has publicly stated, he wants to be a Chief for life.  

3.  The last time Jones was up for an extension, he did all the same cryptic social media posting.  He talked about wanting Aaron Donald money.  He went on Colin Cowherds show and said "what do I gotta do?" (to get paid)  The posturing this go round seems pretty much the same.  

The fact the 2 sides are talking again suggests one side or the other has budged off their stance and I suspect it's Jones side that has budged.  It's been rumored/reported by pretty reliable sources in KC that the KC offer will make Jones 2nd highest paid IDL behind Donald at somewhere around 28 Million per.  Jones wants something north of Donald.  KC isn't going there.

I would expect Jones to report by Tuesday, deal or not.  I'll be very surprised if he starts to forgoe game checks.  I am mildly optimistic he comes in with an new extension.

On Omenihu....The Chiefs knew a suspsenion was coming.  I don't think they thought it would be SIX games.  KC's interior D line is WEAK SAUCE after Chris Jones.  They signed Omenihu to help with that...and they won't have him for 6 games.  IF no Jones, and no Omenihu....KC is going to be in some shootouts and will be having a seriously hard time stopping the run.  The edges KC deploys are more of the high effort variety....getting sacks assisted by Jones crashing the pocket and forcing the action to them....our edges aren't quick bendy guys.  Will put the onus on the O and Mahomes to overcome the D....not ideal...but if you gotta win shootouts, KC can play that way if they have to.  2018 all over again.

3 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

The very latest on Jones is that there had not been any communication throughout camp, but during the press conferences talking about the cut down to 53, the Chiefs announced that the two sides had began talking again.

Some important points about this that suggest Jones will be back and PROBABLY will sign an extension.

1.  KC remains about 9 million OVER the cap as of today.  They have made ZERO moves to restructure other players contracts as of this post.  Jones costs 19 million against the cap if he reports and just plays out the final year of his contract this season.  The fact KC has not made any other restructuring moves suggests they think an extension can and will get done before the season opener, and thus they can free up cap space when that is signed.

Now I'm so confused...when exactly do teams have to be under the cap for the 53 man roster, plus IR plus PS plus any dead cap?

And what is seen as KC's strategy if they CAN'T get a cap-reducing extension done with Jones?

15 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

I think they have to be under this Tuesday?  Anyhow, if KC has to, they have guys they can restructure to get there....but waiting on this Jones thing first is their plan.

No they have to be under the cap now. It was 4pm THIS Tuesday when the roster was set.

18 hours ago, Beck Water said:

I vote "did not happen".

18 hours and not one Rex Ryan joke yet in response to this?

14 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

I do remember Steve Buechele... he was on a couple of my fantasy teams back then.  Hard-nosed third baseman with some pop, mostly for the Rangers.

At 6'0" (dad was 6'2") I kind of think he might have been better off playing baseball.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.