Republican debate GDT

‘The Elephant Not in the Room’: GOP Presidential Candidates Dance around Trump in First Primary Debate

by Ryan Mills

The eight Republican presidential hopefuls who participated in Wednesday night’s spirited, and at times unruly debate, went after one another over their ages and qualifications, and their positions on a federal abortion ban and on increasing aid to Ukraine. They debated whether America has a national identity crisis, whether they would authorize lethal force at the southern border, and whether climate change is a “hoax.” But the eight candidates were generally loath to delve too deep into one critical subject — the subject that Fox New moderator Bret Baier called the “elephant not in the room”— Donald Trump, the former president who is crushing them all

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/the-elephant-not-in-the-room-gop-presidential-candidates-dance-around-trump-in-first-primary-debate/

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Doc said:

I'm sure that when Vivek's parents arrived in Cincy they said "hey, we're Brahmins, we're elite!  Give us everything!" :rolleyes:

No doubt they worked hard, and they put their money where their mouths were, paying to send Vivek to a Catholic High School and then onto Harvard.

The whole "Brahmin" line of criticism strikes me as stupid and an attempt to subtly call attention to "not one of us."

Out of curiosity: is he a vegetarian? If so, how does he avoid all those meat-eating Iowa campaign events?

• Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, The Frankish Reich said:

No doubt they worked hard, and they put their money where their mouths were, paying to send Vivek to a Catholic High School and then onto Harvard.

The whole "Brahmin" line of criticism strikes me as stupid and an attempt to subtly call attention to "not one of us."

Out of curiosity: is he a vegetarian? If so, how does he avoid all those meat-eating Iowa campaign events?

it reads like a script anymore.

Just wondering…if Vivek becomes President in ‘24 or ‘28 and does incredible things and reforms the country and improves the lives of millions of people and unifies our country in one of its most politically divisive eras…would he still deserve to suffer excruciatingly and rot non-stop in Hell for eternity because he didn’t believe in Jesus as his savior according to a solid chunk of the Conservative Christian base? 

Edited by HomeskillitMoorman

10 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

Just wondering…if Vivek becomes President in ‘24 or ‘28 and does incredible things and reforms the country and improves the lives of millions of people and unifies our country in one of its most politically divisive eras…would he still deserve to suffer excruciatingly and rot non-stop in Hell for eternity because he didn’t believe in Jesus as his savior according to a solid chunk of the Conservative Christian base? 

Non-believers are sinners. They, like those born before Christ, the Greeks for instance, are all doomed to eternal damnation in perdition's flames 

15 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

You are OBSESSED with religion, mostly christians it seems.  More than christian conservatives are in most cases.

What gives?

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

‘The Elephant Not in the Room’: GOP Presidential Candidates Dance around Trump in First Primary Debate

by Ryan Mills

The eight Republican presidential hopefuls who participated in Wednesday night’s spirited, and at times unruly debate, went after one another over their ages and qualifications, and their positions on a federal abortion ban and on increasing aid to Ukraine. They debated whether America has a national identity crisis, whether they would authorize lethal force at the southern border, and whether climate change is a “hoax.” But the eight candidates were generally loath to delve too deep into one critical subject — the subject that Fox New moderator Bret Baier called the “elephant not in the room”— Donald Trump, the former president who is crushing them all

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/the-elephant-not-in-the-room-gop-presidential-candidates-dance-around-trump-in-first-primary-debate/

Halellujah!

1 hour ago, The Frankish Reich said:

an attempt to subtly call attention to "not one of us."

well, of course.  "Us" being MAGA...

Edited by Joe Ferguson forever

53 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

This will not please the gods. The gods will descend on the Hypothetical One Bills Drive. Expect a Severe Weather Warning.

You seem especially billstime-y and redhawkish this morning. What was it that triggered you most? Tucker? References to God? The guy with the long last name?

1 hour ago, Doc said:

I'm sure that when Vivek's parents arrived in Cincy they said "hey, we're Brahmins, we're elite!  Give us everything!" :rolleyes:

One of his parents was a geriatric psychiatric doctor and the other a lawyer, I think.  They were/are elite in most conversations.

32 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

the liberal double standard always shows itself. It just takes a catalyst.  

the Democratic Party remains one of the most racist political parties in the history of the world. 

my Indian friends pregnant girl friend (now wife) is white, if that matters......He was Sikh.  Smaller sized but I wouldn't advise getting him angry

2 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Yeah, we have a delightful storied history in America with literacy and civics tests to qualify to vote.

https://americanhistory.si.edu/democracy-exhibition/vote-voice/keeping-vote/state-rules-federal-rules/literacy-tests

I will first state I am not in favor of a national civics test to vote but to compare where we are as a society to those times is asinine. Everyone has a chance to go to school and learn now. My school is majority minorities and we perform at an elite level, because we value that education. 100 years ago these kids would not be allowed in the door.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Vivek is elite.  No doubt about it. How he'd do as president is a major question (worry).  The part about the Soros fellowship is hilarious.  From Wiki:

Ramaswamy attended public schools through the eighth grade.[3][19] He then attended Cincinnati's St. Xavier High School, a Catholic school affiliated with the Jesuit order,[3][20] graduating in 2003.[21] He was class valedictorian and a nationally ranked junior tennis player.[3]

In 2007, Ramaswamy graduated from Harvard College with a Bachelor of Arts, summa ***** laude, in biology, and was a member of Phi Beta Kappa.[22] At Harvard, he gained a reputation as a brash and confident libertarian.[23] He was a member of the Harvard Political Union,[1] becoming its president.[3] He told the Harvard Crimson that he considered himself a contrarian who loved to debate.[1] While in college, he performed Eminem covers and libertarian-themed rap music under the stage name and alter ego Da Vek,[3][24] and was an intern for the hedge fundAmaranth Advisors and the investment bank Goldman Sachs.[3] He wrote his senior thesis on the ethical questions raised by creating human-animal chimeras and earned a Bowdoin Prize.[22] In a 2023 interview, he also said that he was a member of the Jewish intellectual society Shabtai at Yale.[25]

In 2011, Ramaswamy was awarded a post-graduate fellowship by the Paul & Daisy Soros Fellowships for New Americans.[26] In 2013, he earned a J.D.from Yale Law School.[22] At that time, Ramaswamy was already wealthy from his involvement in the finance, pharmaceutical, and biotech industries; he said in 2023 that he had a net worth of around $15 million before graduating from law school.[23]

5 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

I will first state I am not in favor of a national civics test to vote but to compare where we are as a society to those times is asinine. Everyone has a chance to go to school and learn now. My school is majority minorities and we perform at an elite level, because we value that education. 100 years ago these kids would not be allowed in the door.

Since everyone has that opportunity, why not do the civics test?

36 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

One of his parents was a geriatric psychiatric doctor and the other a lawyer, I think.  They were/are elite in most conversations.

my Indian friends pregnant girl friend (now wife) is white, if that matters......He was Sikh.  Smaller sized but I wouldn't advise getting him angry

The King of Pomposity speaks! Come on now….are you listening to yourself. Geeez

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

The King of Pomposity speaks! Come on now….are you listening to yourself. Geeez

You seem to deny a fairly rigid class structure in the US.  It's a huge part of populism, resentment and anger.  It's what the Richmond song is about. Pretending it doesn't exist doesn't help improve things.  discussing the system in the context of the election is relevant and important.