Republican debate GDT

1 hour ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

Just wondering…if Vivek becomes President in ‘24 or ‘28 and does incredible things and reforms the country and improves the lives of millions of people and unifies our country in one of its most politically divisive eras…would he still deserve to suffer excruciatingly and rot non-stop in Hell for eternity because he didn’t believe in Jesus as his savior according to a solid chunk of the Conservative Christian base? 

Judge not, lest you be judged. It is not us who determines who enters eternal paradise.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Let's Talk About the GOP Debate and North Dakota Governor Doug Burgum

By Jennifer Oliver O'Connell

https://redstate.com/jenniferoo/2023/08/24/lets-talk-about-the-gop-debate-and-north-dakota-governor-doug-burgum-n2162986

Sometimes he seemed like the only grown-up in the room. Certainly the better of the two rich guys turned politician.

A bit thin on government experience, but he exuded stability and thoughtfulness the day after he blew out his achilles. Pretty impressive. North Dakota, nicely done. 

(He doesn't stand a chance)

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, JDHillFan said:

You seem especially billstime-y and redhawkish this morning. What was it that triggered you most? Tucker? References to God? The guy with the long last name?

I kind of liked Andrew Yang when he did this on the Dem side in 2020. And when I first heard of Vivek I was favorably disposed to him - seemed like he was coming from that now-marginalized libertarian wing of the party that could use some time on the debate stage.

But the more I see and hear him the more I dislike him.

An incredible phony who's now adopted the persona of some kind of Young Trump.

Read about how he made his money. He isn't a tech guy; he has a biology degree from Harvard, but he's a lawyer. He started an investment company that bought the patent on failed and neglected drugs. He'd have you think that he brought orphan disease drugs to the market, doing good as he also got rich. But he made a ton of money from pumping up an Alzheimer's drug that had already failed in 4 clinical tests. How did he pump it up? By being one of those insider elites he supposedly despises! His company put Obama HHS Secretary Kathleen Sibelius and others on its board, hoping to use their influence to pump up the value of the company (and probably also to turn up the pressure on the FDA to approve some of his drugs. The Alzheimer's drug failed. His company also supported vulture pharm bro Martin Shkreli, who did some really disgusting things in the drug market.

And then he adds the God talk that annoys me coming from any politician, but particularly annoys me coming from someone who is from a different religious tradition altogether.

He is a loudmouth phony. And yes, his behavior on the debate stage got me started ...

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I kind of liked Andrew Yang when he did this on the Dem side in 2020. And when I first heard of Vivek I was favorably disposed to him - seemed like he was coming from that now-marginalized libertarian wing of the party that could use some time on the debate stage.

But the more I see and hear him the more I dislike him.

An incredible phony who's now adopted the persona of some kind of Young Trump.

Read about how he made his money. He isn't a tech guy; he has a biology degree from Harvard, but he's a lawyer. He started an investment company that bought the patent on failed and neglected drugs. He'd have you think that he brought orphan disease drugs to the market, doing good as he also got rich. But he made a ton of money from pumping up an Alzheimer's drug that had already failed in 4 clinical tests. How did he pump it up? By being one of those insider elites he supposedly despises! His company put Obama HHS Secretary Kathleen Sibelius and others on its board, hoping to use their influence to pump up the value of the company (and probably also to turn up the pressure on the FDA to approve some of his drugs. The Alzheimer's drug failed. His company also supported vulture pharm bro Martin Shkreli, who did some really disgusting things in the drug market.

And then he adds the God talk that annoys me coming from any politician, but particularly annoys me coming from someone who is from a different religious tradition altogether.

He is a loudmouth phony. And yes, his behavior on the debate stage got me started ...

I do not wish to trigger you further so will simply wish you dogspeed as you navigate what appears to be an unsettling time. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, wnyguy said:

Judge not, lest you be judged. It is not us who determines who enters eternal paradise.

That is very inclusive of you, and I would certainly hope that a loving God would not commit to eternal damnation the members of many other faith traditions who live good and moral lives but who have not accepted Jesus as their lord and saviour. Maybe it's just me, but that would seem to be a jealous and petty God indeed. Coming from the Catholic tradition, I would have to say that your statement here has a strong Catholic accent.

But that's not evangelical Christian doctrine. Here's a pretty standard expression of what that is:

https://billygraham.org/answer/isnt-just-believing-in-jesus-enough-to-get-me-into-heaven/

No one goes to Heaven because of their goodness. Those who accept Christ as their personal Savior go to Heaven because of what Jesus did on the cross. Salvation is the work of Christ alone; however, someone who is truly saved believes “in” everything Jesus has proclaimed.

EDIT: Vivek went to a Catholic High School. He will know this from his theology/comparative religion classes. 

19 minutes ago, JDHillFan said:

I do not wish to trigger you further so will simply wish you dogspeed as you navigate what appears to be an unsettling time. 

I have Vivek Derangement Syndrome. 

A visceral dislike of bs spouting pharma bros.

Thank you.

Edited by The Frankish Reich
  • Eyeroll 1

47 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

You seem to deny a fairly rigid class structure in the US.  It's a huge part of populism, resentment and anger.  It's what the Richmond song is about. Pretending it doesn't exist doesn't help improve things.  discussing the system in the context of the election is relevant and important.

Geeez….what color is the sky in your freaking dream world? I come from NOTHING as do so many other successful people I know. Go back to your ridiculously entitled life. 

And for the record my wife comes from less than nothing. 

Edited by SoCal Deek
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I have Vivek Derangement Syndrome. 

A visceral dislike of bs spouting pharma bros.

Thank you.

Here’s hoping you come to terms with it. You seem to be only a meme/racial slur away from becoming billstime/redhawk. Nobody wants that. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Chris farley said:

never heard that one before. maybe you should go back to seminary school.

All men sin.

True. And the evangelicals believe that everyone is a sinner.

"Man in justified by faith alone." The older Lutheran credo. Good works, good schmerks. A man who does bad things all his life but repents and accepts Jesus as his personal lord and savior on his deathbed is saved; an atheist who commits his life to helping others and is adored by everyone in his community is denied eternal salvation.

That's just the way it is. Don't believe me; look it up.

4 minutes ago, JDHillFan said:

Here’s hoping you come to terms with it. You seem to be only a meme/racial slur away from becoming billstime/redhawk. Nobody wants that. 

I will not do that. If I make fun of Vivek and his constant references to capital G "God" it is because I am calling him out as a pandering phony.

Nikki Haley can do that all she wants even though she is of Indian Sikh ancestry. She is very openly Christian, and I have no reason to doubt a true believer.

• Eyeroll 1

13 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

True. And the evangelicals believe that everyone is a sinner.

"Man in justified by faith alone." The older Lutheran credo. Good works, good schmerks. A man who does bad things all his life but repents and accepts Jesus as his personal lord and savior on his deathbed is saved; an atheist who commits his life to helping others and is adored by everyone in his community is denied eternal salvation.

It’s extremely hard to debate religion on here, but you seem to want to argue your way into Heaven. I doubt it’s going to over well with God. 😉

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

That is very inclusive of you, and I would certainly hope that a loving God would not commit to eternal damnation the members of many other faith traditions who live good and moral lives but who have not accepted Jesus as their lord and saviour. Maybe it's just me, but that would seem to be a jealous and petty God indeed. Coming from the Catholic tradition, I would have to say that your statement here has a strong Catholic accent.

But that's not evangelical Christian doctrine. Here's a pretty standard expression of what that is:

https://billygraham.org/answer/isnt-just-believing-in-jesus-enough-to-get-me-into-heaven/

No one goes to Heaven because of their goodness. Those who accept Christ as their personal Savior go to Heaven because of what Jesus did on the cross. Salvation is the work of Christ alone; however, someone who is truly saved believes “in” everything Jesus has proclaimed.

I am actually Lutheran, which is as close to Catholic you can get without being Catholic. LOL My belief and faith in God is a personal one between Him and me and not dependent on a manmade doctrine. I do believe that my God is a God of love and forgiveness and also one of inclusion, I won't pretend to judge who will be saved and who won't.

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I don't know, that's for a higher power to decide.  as WNYGUY stated above. 

We all have free will. 

And it pretty much holds true for all Abrahamic religions.

16 hours ago, Roundybout said:

Congrats, you can grow corn. That’ll solve the crippling opioid problem gripping the rural towns of America. 

You think opioid abuse is limited to rural areas? You obviously don't hang around downtown Buffalo. Congrats, you can type your thoughts. Maybe u shouldn't.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, wnyguy said:

I am actually Lutheran, which is as close to Catholic you can get without being Catholic. LOL My belief and faith in God is a personal one between Him and me and not dependent on a manmade doctrine. I do believe that my God is a God of love and forgiveness and also one of inclusion, I won't pretend to judge who will be saved and who won't.

Anglican is pretty close as well.

• Like (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Geeez….what color is the sky in your freaking dream world? I come from NOTHING as do so many other successful people I know. Go back to your ridiculously entitled life. 

And for the record my wife comes from less than nothing. 

no one cares.  Status in the US is largely based on money.  I didn't come from wealth either but I got some advantages.  Greatest were a strong work ethic, high parental expectations and self confidence.  Based on money, Vivek was quantum jumps more successful but it appears his tools were similar.  My point is that while crying about elites, many cons seem attracted to them politically.  It seems inconsistent if not self defeating.  Vivek is no man of the people from what littleI've seen.

38 minutes ago, JDHillFan said:

Nobody wants that. 

speak for yourself....

• Eyeroll 1

2 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

no one cares.  Status in the US is largely based on money.  I didn't come from wealth either but I got some advantages.  Greatest were a strong work ethic, high parental expectations and self confidence.  Based on money, Vivek was quantum jumps more successful but it appears his tools were similar.  My point is that while crying about elites, many cons seem attracted to them politically.  It seems inconsistent if not self defeating.  Vivek is no man of the people from what littleI've seen.

He may very well be a shyster but the platforms he is promoting are pretty much in line with many conservative ideas. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Joe Ferguson forever said:

You’re really odd. So apparently both you and I completely destroy your own ridiculous argument. So I’m guessing from that, now we do NOT have a caste system? Once again…are you listening to yourself at all?  Why does the background of Mr Ramaswamy matter so much to you? Even if we say he comes from ‘privilege’, why does that disqualify him from having a vision for America? Answer…it doesn’t! 

PS: The debate was a train wreck but the amount of racist hate on here today is truly disgusting. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

no one cares.  Status in the US is largely based on money.  I didn't come from wealth either but I got some advantages.  Greatest were a strong work ethic, high parental expectations and self confidence.  

And a proclivity to constantly talk about it.

"It" being you.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1