Yuck

\GoBillsInDallas/

45 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

You are right about that.

The poor bastards that have to clean it up.  Has to be horrible job.  The one I saw, there was nothing reported in the news about it.  I think the media tries not to draw attention to suicides.   I'm surprised to see this one reported and so graphically.  

Edited by Irv

3 hours ago, Irv said:

The poor bastards that have to clean it up.  Has to be horrible job.  The one I saw, there was nothing reported in the news about it.  I think the media tries not to draw attention to suicides.   I'm surprised to see this one reported and so graphically.  

I think the amount of attention it gets just depends on the context. Media reports on suicides all the time if there's anything notable about them.

In this case, super well known high rise in NYC where well known celebrities have lived.

55 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

I think the amount of attention it gets just depends on the context. Media reports on suicides all the time if there's anything notable about them.

In this case, super well known high rise in NYC where well known celebrities have lived.

IDK.  Don't you think "his body split in half" and "an arm was found across the street, where construction scaffolding was seen dripping with blood" isn't a little extreme?  What if this guy had younger kids?  Seems pretty heartless and unnecessary reporting.  

18 minutes ago, Irv said:

IDK.  Don't you think "his body split in half" and "an arm was found across the street, where construction scaffolding was seen dripping with blood" isn't a little extreme?  What if this guy had younger kids?  Seems pretty heartless and unnecessary reporting.  

Yeah, definitely. My post obviously wasn't centred on that, though, as I clearly talked about the attention. I was responding to "I think the media tries not to draw attention to suicides. I'm surprised to see this one reported..."

It's even less surprising when consider it's the NY Post, which is more akin to a tabloid than a normal newspaper.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

I clicked on this thread because when I saw "Yuck" I thought of the indie rock band. I know them personally.

Mariko is Japanese. The afro hair guy drummer is the nicest guy ever. The guitarist was super sweet. The lead singer was pretty full of himself kind of douchey.  They were on a worldwide tour with my sons band in Australia/ New Zealand approx 12 years ago

Im too chicken to click the OP thread link I dont do well with graphic SPLAT violence just sayin'-m

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 8/18/2023 at 4:19 PM, Irv said:

You expect the news to care more about the kids than the Dad did?

• Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

In J-school, the ethics of reporting on it was that public suicides like this are fair game for coverage… bc quite a lot of people saw it. The case study then was the government official accused of embezzlement in Philly iirc who called a news conference and shot himself in the head on air at the podium. To not mention it at all is a whitewash to something that happened so publicly. That they published graphic description and so many photos including a lot of the sheet-draped remains? Yeah, that is *quite* tough to defend… but I’m also betting the story got a lot of clicks for the same reason people slow down and look over at accident scenes #rubbernecking.

Suicide where it was done privately is generally not reported unless the person was a public figure, and even then is not accompanied by scene photos… but for some true rags like NYP it may have less to do with decency and more that they don’t have access to the scene.

19 minutes ago, UConn James said:

In J-school, the ethics of reporting on it was that public suicides like this are fair game for coverage… bc quite a lot of people saw it. The case study then was the government official accused of embezzlement in Philly iirc who called a news conference and shot himself in the head on air at the podium. To not mention it at all is a whitewash to something that happened so publicly. That they published graphic description and so many photos including a lot of the sheet-draped remains? Yeah, that is *quite* tough to defend… but I’m also betting the story got a lot of clicks for the same reason people slow down and look over at accident scenes #rubbernecking.

Suicide where it was done privately is generally not reported unless the person was a public figure, and even then is not accompanied by scene photos… but for some true rags like NYP it may have less to do with decency and more that they don’t have access to the scene.

The case in point was a politically targeted attack against the PA dude it is argued. It was a really messed up situation 

The video is on the Internet if anyone wants to see it. There is also video of a newswoman using a pistol to the temple live on the news during broadcast.

20 minutes ago, boyst said:

The case in point was a politically targeted attack against the PA dude it is argued. It was a really messed up situation 

The video is on the Internet if anyone wants to see it. There is also video of a newswoman using a pistol to the temple live on the news during broadcast.

Her co-anchor was a guy that  was on TV in Buffalo before that. I believe that was in Miami. tHe guy used to be on WGR. Cn't remember his name. Happened in the 80s.

On 8/18/2023 at 9:05 PM, boyst said:

The dude who jumped off buffalos downtown building impaling himself on the flag pole and living for a few hours outdid him, tho. Gruesome photos of that out there. People actually came from around town to see that. 

The dude was a teen (17 or 18) and he died instantly. It took a few hours to cut him down.  My cousin had business downtown and saw him on the pole.  His parents  wanted to sue the city because they claimed someone had thrown him off. The observation deck has waist high stone walls  with  8 ft high glass mounted on top with the top angled back in towards the building.  Impossible to toss someone off it.

7 hours ago, boyst said:

Just looked it up… Bill Dwyer was in the Penn. State House and had been found guilty a few months prior of a bunch of racketeering, bribery, perjury, conspiracy charges about taking money to award a contract to an auditing firm in California. He was to be sentenced the next day.

Some say that the hounding of the press drove him to it, but 🤷🏻‍♂️. That was a lengthy sentence coming his way and his life was basically over so he probably would’ve have done it anyway, but maybe in a different, private way. News can’t / shouldn’t let a guy off easy there’s a chance of whatever. But if it hadn’t happened how he did so publicly, I imagine the coverage would have been quite different.

31 minutes ago, UConn James said:

Just looked it up… Bill Dwyer was in the Penn. State House and had been found guilty a few months prior of a bunch of racketeering, bribery, perjury, conspiracy charges about taking money to award a contract to an auditing firm in California. He was to be sentenced the next day.

Some say that the hounding of the press drove him to it, but 🤷🏻‍♂️. That was a lengthy sentence coming his way and his life was basically over so he probably would’ve have done it anyway, but maybe in a different, private way. News can’t / shouldn’t let a guy off easy there’s a chance of whatever. But if it hadn’t happened how he did so publicly, I imagine the coverage would have been quite different.

There was some speculation I've seen where it was obvious he was over sentenced and made an example of compared to other crimes and events of the time. Some political recourse, essentially.

I'm all for the politicians being held accountable for their *****ups but the guy got a LOT of time in the 80s when sentences were usually more lax than we know. Especially white collar.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2023 at 12:13 PM, Irv said:

Had a friend that cleaned up this stuff in Chicago during a few summers in college.  Money was stupid good in the day. After a few weeks along puking at everything, he says by the end of the summer he was eating a sandwich sweeping up brains.  

guess you can get used to about most anything after a while 

Had a friend that cleaned up this stuff in Chicago during a few summers in college.  Money was stupid good in the day. After a few weeks along puking at everything, he says by the end of the summer he was eating a sandwich sweeping up brains.  

On 8/21/2023 at 12:20 PM, Wacka said:

The dude was a teen (17 or 18) and he died instantly. It took a few hours to cut him down.  My cousin had business downtown and saw him on the pole.  His parents  wanted to sue the city because they claimed someone had thrown him off. The observation deck has waist high stone walls  with  8 ft high glass mounted on top with the top angled back in towards the building.  Impossible to toss someone off it.

They cut the pole so as to slide the guy off the pole

Edited by MarkyMannn

On 8/18/2023 at 9:05 PM, boyst said:

The dude who jumped off buffalos downtown building impaling himself on the flag pole and living for a few hours outdid him, tho. Gruesome photos of that out there. People actually came from around town to see that. 

Yes. This is a true and gory story.  I remember it. It was 1976, City Hall.

I found a picture of it on Google Images, but I'm not posting it. I don't know the rules around here regarding that type of gore.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.