driverless car gets stuck in concrete

WhoTom

30 minutes ago, Gregg said:

I will never get in one of these types of vehicles. People make them and people aren't perfect and neither are computers/AI. I want someone behind the wheel in control of the car.

I used to feel that way, but given the way many people drive these days, I'll take a car driven by artificial intelligence over one driven by genuine stupidity.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, Gregg said:

I will never get in one of these types of vehicles. People make them and people aren't perfect and neither are computers/AI. I want someone behind the wheel in control of the car.

Certainly, they need to improve AD for unusual situations…perhaps just driving much more slowly until it can ascertain the impact of the change. However, computers are not distracted, careless, bored, or physically (eyes, limbs, feet, etc.) limited.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, WhoTom said:

I used to feel that way, but given the way many people drive these days, I'll take a car driven by artificial intelligence over one driven by genuine stupidity.

True there many idiots behind the wheel. Still, I won't trust AI driving. I would be nervous the entire ride.

4 hours ago, Gregg said:

Of course car computers are not perfect - those are the computers not covered by warranties.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Of course car computers are not perfect - those are the computers not covered by warranties.

This is a reason why I don't understand how someone would want to ride in a driverless car. I get that people get into accidents and there are a lot of bad drivers, but I still prefer someone behind the wheel. IMHO.

4 hours ago, Fleezoid said:

I can't wait for the first guy that dies because he purposely took a nap on a road trip. 

1 hour ago, Gregg said:

This is a reason why I don't understand how someone would want to ride in a driverless car. I get that people get into accidents and there are a lot of bad drivers, but I still prefer someone behind the wheel. IMHO.

There was a guy whose autopilot Tesla got into an accident because he went to sleep. He thought the car would be able to do everything. I don’t remember if he died.

The thing with this technology is that it is / will be there as the basis / primary system but it still requires & will likely always require a human to be behind the wheel supervising it and making corrections and decisions that AI isn’t / might not be quite programmed to do. Detour, road washed out, debris, accidents, animals in the road, etc. It’s a long way off from what they call the “Level 5” self-driving.

Edited by UConn James
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

I can only assume the people who would rather have people driving cars than computers have never driven a car before

Or never saw someone...

• applying makeup while driving
  • changing clothes while driving
  • texting while driving
  • shaving while driving
  • reading the newspaper while driving
  • drinking alcohol while driving
  • eating food that requires two hands while driving
  • swerving between lanes without warning or turn signals
  • stopping in the middle of an interstate and backing up because they missed the exit ramp (that was a car in front of us on I-90 in downtown Cleveland)
  • just generally driving like a bonehead.

I've seen all of the above - some more frequently than others. Yeah, I'm ready for AVs.

6 hours ago, Bob Jones said:

That has always been my biggest concern about self driving vehicles….non standard situations such as construction zones, ducks crossing the road, etc.

I did some freelance tech writing for an AV company a few years ago. (The company is making a fleet of autonomous taxis.) Their plan was to have a center filled with remote-control drivers who had access to all sensor data from any given vehicle in the fleet. When the car gets confused, it stops and calls a remote operator for help.

14 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

Or never saw someone...

• applying makeup while driving
  • changing clothes while driving
  • texting while driving
  • shaving while driving
  • reading the newspaper while driving
  • drinking alcohol while driving
  • eating food that requires two hands while driving
  • swerving between lanes without warning or turn signals
  • stopping in the middle of an interstate and backing up because they missed the exit ramp (that was a car in front of us on I-90 in downtown Cleveland)
  • just generally driving like a bonehead.

I've seen all of the above - some more frequently than others. Yeah, I'm ready for AVs.

I did some freelance tech writing for an AV company a few years ago. (The company is making a fleet of autonomous taxis.) Their plan was to have a center filled with remote-control drivers who had access to all sensor data from any given vehicle in the fleet. When the car gets confused, it stops and calls a remote operator for help.

f76d26b824bed7d36be7d16c745e0774.gif

I had rented an SUV last summer, I think it was either a Ford Explorer or Expedition.  It had the steering assist, to help keep the vehicle between the lines.  Well, since I was working overnight, I'd be driving on the highway at 3am, and decided to try it out.  Had the cruise set, and would take my hands completely off the wheel just to see how it tracked.  It wasn't too bad, a little nervous when the road would curve, but if you did not put your hands back on the wheel after 30 seconds, it would turn off the cruise control.  Also, if you were approaching an exit where the lane would split, like the link below, it would try to follow the lines to the right, taking you off the highway, when I wanted to stay on. 

https://goo.gl/maps/SEw1SKAZcXaPqm9SA

14 hours ago, WhoTom said:

That's funny, and I want to agree... buuut, first I'm accustomed to the stupid things other drivers can and will pull off, a computer can glitch anything imaginable at any moment- no way to anticipate anything as a fellow driver, cyclist or pedestrian.  Second, I don't trust anything from the brainchild of the Silicon Valley super-douches.  A small number of those self-serving weasels are being given carte blanche to experiment on our roads, and with the lives of every person who is in their thoughtless way... and the rest of us are just supposed to go along with it?   Other than (arguably) having a role in bringing medicine and technology together, I can't think of a single thing in life these genii have not made worse, or we couldn't have lived without their stunning advances.  

Maybe it'll lead to something better eventually, but I honestly expect a nuclear war due in no small part to AI.   (Hopefully it's just because I liked the movie War Games as a kid,)

3 hours ago, Just Jack said:

I had rented an SUV last summer, I think it was either a Ford Explorer or Expedition.  It had the steering assist, to help keep the vehicle between the lines.  Well, since I was working overnight, I'd be driving on the highway at 3am, and decided to try it out.  Had the cruise set, and would take my hands completely off the wheel just to see how it tracked.  It wasn't too bad, a little nervous when the road would curve, but if you did not put your hands back on the wheel after 30 seconds, it would turn off the cruise control.  Also, if you were approaching an exit where the lane would split, like the link below, it would try to follow the lines to the right, taking you off the highway, when I wanted to stay on. 

https://goo.gl/maps/SEw1SKAZcXaPqm9SA

With my gal having a Subaru, and her friend with a Honda CR-V, I've gotten to learn a bit about two of the cars I fear the most on the roads.  The CR-V has like 6 different displays telling you different angles of how you could be driving more fuel-efficiently. Between staring at all those screens, and trying to do your best on the gas, no wonder they're on my, 'Top Cars Likely to be at the Front of a Problem' list.  

The Subaru has an unwanted assist for just about everything.  In an emergency and need to hit the gas to get around a danger spot- no worries, the Subaru will slam on the brakes for you.   (It eventually realizes you really meant what you're doing, and hopefully hasn't killed you in that moment.) Need to be nudged back into your lane- Subaru's got you covered... until you're flying off a cliffside on a sharper corner... too bad you got too lulled into complacency to realize you actually needed to use the steering wheel.  

The lane departure warning is also a handy feature for pissing off your passengers.  We took it on a road trip after she first got it, and of course I'm testing out all the fun stuff.  It probably took about a hundred miles, but she was ready to blow from that lane departure warning chime haha.  That thing's been off ever since.  

So if you're ever wondering why some drivers pull some pretty stupid *****, like slamming the brakes for seemingly no reason, it may be the 'ingenious' car.  Again, no thank you on self-driving vehicles, but I guess I don't have a say...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.