RB Alex Collins RIP- 28 years old

Big Turk

1 hour ago, eball said:

So sad.  Reminder # 2,364, 321 (and counting) that cars and trucks are undefeated vs. bikes and motorcycles.

RIP to a man dying way too young.

That's why I would never ride one. Doesn't matter how safe you are or how many precautions you take. Too many people in cars or trucks don't pay attention these days and are liable to hit someone on a bike or motorcycle.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

22 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

That's why I would never ride one. Doesn't matter how safe you are or how many precautions you take. Too many people in cars or trucks don't pay attention these days and are liable to hit someone on a bike or motorcycle.

Agreed.  The impaired driver a biker used to worry about also has to now contend with the distracted driver.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

In this case, based on the article, the motorcycle driver was at fault. 

• Disagree 2

28 minutes ago, Chaos said:

That may be, but the larger point still stands. What would be a minor fender bender with no injuries in a car turns into major life threatening injuries or someone ending up dead on a motorcycle.

3 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

That may be, but the larger point still stands. What would be a minor fender bender with no injuries in a car turns into major life threatening injuries or someone ending up dead on a motorcycle.

Talk to any EMT.  The reason to not drive motorcycles is not limited to other drivers.  The bigger point is motorcycles are inherently dangerous.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 5

33 minutes ago, Chaos said:

According to the sheriff's report, they were travelling in opposite directions and the car was making a left hand turn, so I'm guessing they would be at fault. Just awful though, RIP.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Chaos said:

The reason to not drive motorcycles is

…because they always lose the battle against cars and trucks. It makes no difference who is at fault/careless/negligent. You’re literally playing Russian Roulette when you take a bike or motorcycle out on a road with traffic. Period. 

• Agree 3

26 minutes ago, CapeBreton said:

According to the sheriff's report, they were travelling in opposite directions and the car was making a left hand turn, so I'm guessing they would be at fault. Just awful though, RIP.

both?

not to be grammar police, but i cant even "but Maddenboy, you know what i meant, though" figure out what or who you mean.

it seems to me the motorcycle would be at fault, on these scant facts.  because the motorcyclist, as all motorists, should never be driving so fast he cannot avoid a collision (because even 25mph can be too fast, depending on visibility, weather, the condition of the bike, the fatigue of the driver, etc).  The motorcyclist, and all drivers, should Expect that crazy or stupid or drunk stuff Will be done by other drivers.

Or, even if Florida has comparative fault, to me the motorcycle should be at least 50% at fault, even if the car driver made an illegal turn..

---

after a few re-reads, if i had to bet money, i think you are saying that the car broke the status-quo of everybody minding his own lawful business, so but / for the car turning left, the accident would never have happened.

we probably need a lot more facts.

Agree with your bottom line though.  tragic.

Edited by maddenboy
  • Disagree 2

3 hours ago, eball said:

So sad.  Reminder # 2,364, 321 (and counting) that cars and trucks are undefeated vs. bikes and motorcycles.

RIP to a man dying way too young.

I had been an avid mcy rider for 40+ years, which started with me & my friends riding mini bikes with Briggs & Stratton engines alongside the railroad tracks in the southtowns. LOL But 2 years ago I stopped riding....way too dangerous any more, with way too many distracted drivers out there.

1 hour ago, maddenboy said:

both?

not to be grammar police, but i cant even "but Maddenboy, you know what i meant, though" figure out what or who you mean.

it seems to me the motorcycle would be at fault, on these scant facts.  because the motorcyclist, as all motorists, should never be driving so fast he cannot avoid a collision (because even 25mph can be too fast, depending on visibility, weather, the condition of the bike, the fatigue of the driver, etc).  The motorcyclist, and all drivers, should Expect that crazy or stupid or drunk stuff Will be done by other drivers.

Or, even if Florida has comparative fault, to me the motorcycle should be at least 50% at fault, even if the car driver made an illegal turn..

---

after a few re-reads, if i had to bet money, i think you are saying that the car broke the status-quo of everybody minding his own lawful business, so but / for the car turning left, the accident would never have happened.

we probably need a lot more facts.

Agree with your bottom line though.  tragic.

Oops I definitely should have been more clear, but I was thinking the female in the car is at fault. But without all of the facts, it's impossible to say, speed and visibility could have been an issue for the bike too.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, CapeBreton said:

Oops I definitely should have been more clear, but I was thinking the female in the car is at fault. But without all of the facts, it's impossible to say, speed and visibility could have been an issue for the bike too.

i saw someone once say that instead of driving to be aware of all the vehicles and driving defensively you must drive you motorcycle like all cars and trucks are trying to kill you - it's the only way ot survive.

sadly, too many motorcyclists do not appreciate life or others enough to drive respectfully and safely. don't even get me started on lane splitting. that's suicide.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Big Turk said:

It's not just people on cars and trucks that don't pay attention. I constantly see motorcycle drivers flying down streets at 90mph when the speed limit is only 50mph and then flying right in front of people and cutting them off. It's not always dumb car and truck drivers

• Agree 3

In my experience, this typically applies to people riding Harleys or a cruiser motorcycle....The people on dirt bikes are crotch rockets are some of the most dangerous people on the road.

• Agree 1

ALSO here in Ohio most people on motorcycles don't wear full helmets or other protective gear, thinking that they are invincible... I just don't get it,

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, boyst said:

i saw someone once say that instead of driving to be aware of all the vehicles and driving defensively you must drive you motorcycle like all cars and trucks are trying to kill you - it's the only way ot survive.

sadly, too many motorcyclists do not appreciate life or others enough to drive respectfully and safely. don't even get me started on lane splitting. that's suicide.

On your first paragraph...100% agree. When I was riding, and was near other vehicles, I always, constantly, practiced "SIPDE." Scan (all around), Identify (possible dumb actions by other drivers), Predict (what they're going to do), Determine (what I needed to do to stay safe if they pulled a dumb move), and if need be, Execute (my move to be safe).

Riding pretty much demands 100% concentration and continuous scanning (when you're near other vehicles). Now, if you're out in the country, and you can see for miles (flat lands), and nobody is around, let'er rip to 186mph....LOL. Other than a roller-coaster, there's nothing quite like going WOT and going from 0 to 100mph in about 6 seconds, and then continuing up past 170. We used to say it was the most fun you could have with your clothes on. 😂

Edited by Bob Jones
Added words

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.