Tranquility Base. Happy Birthday.

sherpa

Fifty four years ago today, at slightly after 4pm eastern, man landed on the moon.

Neil Armstrong uttered one of the most famous quotes ever recorded:

"Houston...Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed."

Still the most watched news event in US history.

Plagued by system warnings in the descent, the 1202 and 1201 alarms, and repeated com breakups, some twenty something year old kid at mission control gave to go signal to continue with the alarms.

Landed with about twenty seconds of fuel remaining.

Simply amazing, and all done with total international exposure in real time, unlike the Soviet space program. 

• Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

My family went over to our neighbor’s house late at night because they had a color tv to watch Armstrong take the first step. I was 8 years old and fell asleep. When I woke up it was over. I asked my mom why she didn’t wake me and she said I needed my sleep. 😩

1 hour ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

And there are probably more North Americans today that do not believe it happened than there were in 1969. 😔

I think that's due in part to the fact that although technology has allegedly evolved considerably since the 1960s, just flying people around the Earth seems difficult to do today.  I've always been amazed that today's NASA can't build a new Rocketdyne F-1 engine, or anything close to the thrust it produced, even if they had an unlimited budget to do so.  

And they walked on the moon after 11 PM. Went outside about 10 PM and looked up at the moon on the perfectly clear night. Youngsters don't know the feeling of looking up at it and realizing there were two people on it at that very moment. Dad worked 3rd shift and started at 11 PM. He said the boss had everybody  stay in the lunchroom and watch the moonwalk on the TV. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Wacka said:

And they walked on the moon after 11 PM. Went outside about 10 PM and looked up at the moon on the perfectly clear night. Youngsters don't know the feeling of looking up at it and realizing there were two people on it at that very moment. Dad worked 3rd shift and started at 11 PM. He said the boss had everybody  stay in the lunchroom and watch the moonwalk on the TV. 

slackers

these days if we ask for time off to watch tv you get fired

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.