Kids in their 20s and Early 30---worse then the panhandlers on the street?

plenzmd1

I dunno.

I mean I could point out that the decisions of Baby Boomers and the politicians they routinely elected led to America being a place wherein most young couples working combined 80 hour work weeks at decent jobs still can't afford to buy a house, obtain decent medical insurance, or to save any meaningful amount of money, so they take up second jobs driving Uber or Lyft and STILL can't afford those things, and thus exist in a reality where things like weddings and unexpected veterinary bills lead to GoFundMe campaigns and fundraising efforts, and that the inability or unwillingness of those Baby Boomers -- who were able to buy two houses and two cars on the income from one factory job 45 years ago -- to empathize with this predicament, and their repeated insistence on harping on the laziness and entitlement of "kids today", is at least as annoying as what the OP describes -- if not more so. 

But I won't say any of that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

44 minutes ago, Logic said:

I dunno.

I mean I could point out that the decisions of Baby Boomers and the politicians they routinely elected led to America being a place wherein most young couples working combined 80 hour work weeks at decent jobs still can't afford to buy a house, obtain decent medical insurance, or to save any meaningful amount of money, so they take up second jobs driving Uber or Lyft and STILL can't afford those things, and thus exist in a reality where things like weddings and unexpected veterinary bills lead to GoFundMe campaigns and fundraising efforts, and that the inability or unwillingness of those Baby Boomers -- who were able to buy two houses and two cars on the income from one factory job 45 years ago -- to empathize with this predicament, and their repeated insistence on harping on the laziness and entitlement of "kids today", is at least as annoying as what the OP describes -- if not more so. 

But you just did 😉

1 hour ago, Logic said:

I dunno.

I don't think it's the leaders... It's the failure of meritocracy and the fraud that it is.  The well off familyies are doing okay through the generations.  They always have

The leisure class aren't leaving at younger ages like they left generations ago... They are staying on and getting their kids set up.

FWIW... Another name for Millennial is "Echo Boomer" because they are echoing their Boomer parents  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I don't think it's the leaders... It's the failure of meritocracy and the fraud that it is.  The well off families are doing okay through the generations.  They always have

The leisure class aren't leaving at younger ages like they left generations ago... They are staying on and getting their kids set up.

FWIW... Another name for Millennial is "Echo Boomer" because they are echoing their Boomer parents  

Fun to read this thread.

I can view things from 2 different points of view. The argument/point that the Baby boomers have led us down this path in a lot of ways I can relate to....and the boomers can't/wont relate to some of the challenges young people go through I can see.  ON the OTHER HAND....

I'm pretty sure my daughter or no one she knows reads this forum so I can post this.  My wife and I like many others grew up in our 20's working 2 and sometimes 3 jobs.  When in college you work a full time job. Over the summer or right after college you work 2 or 3 jobs, 70-90 hours a week (at times) if you want to save up money to buy a home. I know not everyone did that but many did.  A few years ago our daughter was in her very early 20's.  My wife and I were watching a show on tv about  9 or 10pm and it was a comedy and we were laughing at it. Our daugher STORMED downstairs, angry look on her face, looked at us and said "Can you two BE QUIET?  I need to get sleep because my job is MAKING ME WORK over 40 hours this week!"  I think she worked something like 45 hours that week.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 7/24/2023 at 5:00 PM, mjd1001 said:

Fun to read this thread.

I can view things from 2 different points of view. The argument/point that the Baby boomers have led us down this path in a lot of ways I can relate to....and the boomers can't/wont relate to some of the challenges young people go through I can see.  ON the OTHER HAND....

I'm pretty sure my daughter or no one she knows reads this forum so I can post this.  My wife and I like many others grew up in our 20's working 2 and sometimes 3 jobs.  When in college you work a full time job. Over the summer or right after college you work 2 or 3 jobs, 70-90 hours a week (at times) if you want to save up money to buy a home. I know not everyone did that but many did.  A few years ago our daughter was in her very early 20's.  My wife and I were watching a show on tv about  9 or 10pm and it was a comedy and we were laughing at it. Our daugher STORMED downstairs, angry look on her face, looked at us and said "Can you two BE QUIET?  I need to get sleep because my job is MAKING ME WORK over 40 hours this week!"  I think she worked something like 45 hours that week.

We went to a wedding this weekend and our now 30 year old son went golfing with a friend of ours, his best friend’s dad from high school years. Our son started his career as a CPA at one of the big accounting firms. He would have 45 hours inijmujmk,l./ by lunch on Wednesday, and there was nothing sacred about weekends. Chew them up, then spit them out. That is the routine. 

Anyway, our buddy asks him during golf what he learned from his parents. His answer was “work ethic”. Our friend knows us well and asked “both of them?”  😂 I’m retired and my wife is the only person I know who works as much and as hard as my son. He insisted it was both of us. Apparently, he’s either not as smart as we thought, or he’s a pretty good liar! 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Fr. Jerk said:

Kids in their 20s and 30s don't know streets, literally. 

Give them a map, and see if they can figure out how to use it and then get a good laugh when they try to fold it back up!   😋

• Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

I ***** love maps.

I had a tennis buddy/bank client who had a store called The House Of Maps. I was in there and bought stuff (mostly MLS maps) but I’m glad he hit retirement when he did! 

Birthday parties

bah humbug

GIFT REQUIRED!

Don't get me started on Christmas

Seriously though life is expensive for the youth. The ones that don't waste their money on partying and gambling are up to their eyeballs in loans and trying to save enough to maybe avoid PMI and hopefully beat 15-20 offers on a house that is going to sell for $30k-$100k over the list price.

Edited by WEATHER DOT COM

College is a waste of money fo 50 % of the people that go will never use their education. 

you have to take classes that have nothing to do with the field of work that you want to get into. 

what happened to working up the ladder ? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

On 7/12/2023 at 4:22 PM, Mr Info said:

Perhaps I am lucky. Our two boys in their mid-20s got married last year. None of those issues. I picked the place and they chose the attendees. Complete agreement with their brides on everything.

Even today I don't think siblings being married is generally accepted in today's society. You're a bit ahead of the curve I think. 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, mead107 said:

College is a waste of money fo 50 % of the people that go will never use their education. 

you have to take classes that have nothing to do with the field of work that you want to get into. 

This is shear idiocy.  I assume you don't hold an undergraduate degree.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, mead107 said:

Do you want your surgeon to be a guy who worked his way up the ladder from janitor? Some jobs actually require specific knowledge. Some times just having the credentials is necessary to get considered for a position, even if the knowledge from your degree(s) and credentials are not directly linked to the specifics of the job. People want to hire the most qualified candidate, and that is part of the game, for better or worse. Just going the extra mile to improve yourself is appealing to employers. 

But yes, for most people college is just where you go to finish growing up. I mean, I am STILL working on that!

43 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

This is shear idiocy.  I assume you don't hold an undergraduate degree.

What a touching response. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Do you want your surgeon to be a guy who worked his way up the ladder from janitor? Some jobs actually require specific knowledge. Some times just having the credentials is necessary to get considered for a position, even if the knowledge from your degree(s) and credentials are not directly linked to the specifics of the job. People want to hire the most qualified candidate, and that is part of the game, for better or worse. Just going the extra mile to improve yourself is appealing to employers. 

But yes, for most people college is just where you go to finish growing up. I mean, I am STILL working on that!

What a touching response. 

Doctors are in the 50% that should go. 

you could sign up  for MEAD college this fall. All  on line.  
0nly $87,000 for a year. Learn how to manage and run your own painting company. 

meadcoins not accepted. 

• Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, mead107 said:

Doctors are in the 50% that should go. 

you could sign up  for MEAD college this fall. All  on line.  
0nly $87,000 for a year. Learn how to manage and run your own painting company. 

meadcoins not accepted. 

Gee, that sounds like a good deal. Are you sure we can’t all pay in meadcoin? 

Seriously, my nephew has a VERY expensive and pretty prestigious art degree. Now he paints houses and does woodworking. He seems happy, and I don’t care how he got there. He LOVES working with his hands making beautiful things. Do what makes you happy! Now, was the degree a waste? There is no answering that as we don’t know how he might have turned out, so I’m 100% good with everything. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.