Does Connecticut Pizza live up to the hype?

BillsPride12

1 hour ago, BillsPride12 said:

I've had pizza in NYC, Chicago, Boston, and obviously Buffalo but I always hear CT Pizza is the best.  Is it really that good? What makes it so special??

New Haven style is pretty close to New York style.  The main difference is the char and making clam pizza a thing.

https://www.eater.com/2014/3/18/6264277/the-definitive-guide-to-new-haven-pizza

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 7/3/2023 at 12:29 PM, Jauronimo said:

New Haven style is pretty close to New York style.  The main difference is the char and making clam pizza a thing.

It also tends to be a bit greasy.

On 7/3/2023 at 1:46 PM, BillsPride12 said:

Thanks!  Will check that out later on when I have time to really dive into it

Just be aware you can't decide to just order a pie and have it 30 minutes later. Especially on weekends. The famous places like Frank Pepe's and Sally's, if you don't order by 9am that morning, you're not getting a pie that day.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

It also tends to be a bit greasy.

Just be aware you can't decide to just order a pie and have it 30 minutes later. Especially on weekends. The famous places like Frank Pepe's and Sally's. if you don't order by 9am that morning, you're not getting a pie that day.

That's crazy!  Never heard of something like that anywhere else unless you are talking about Super Bowl Sunday.  I would like to make it out to New Haven someday to try some pies.  Maybe I'll tie it in with a golf trip or something. 

Up here in the northeast of CT, we have our own style with Willington Pizza, which invented the red potato pizza, which has a base of sour cream (when I make my own version at home, I use ricotta), layered with about 1/8”-sliced pre-cooked red potatoes, cheese (I use provolone), and topped with broccoli, bacon crumbles, and some white onion. It won the CBS Morning Show’s award in the mid-90s for the best pizza in the country. They also have a California pizza with sun-dried tomato and artichoke heart topping, and many other classic and some interesting combos, such as the Pickle Pizza.

Usually I make my own at home, as it’s gotten quite expensive. $30 for a large ~16” pie.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

That's crazy!  Never heard of something like that anywhere else unless you are talking about Super Bowl Sunday.  I would like to make it out to New Haven someday to try some pies.  Maybe I'll tie it in with a golf trip or something. 

I went to see King Crimson there last year and thought I'd grab a Pepe's or Sally's  pie before the show. Nope. I thought they were kidding me. Maybe it was just that day they were all super busy. I'd call ahead and ask what demand is like before you go. Maybe putting in an order a couple days early is the way to go.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I went to see King Crimson there last year and thought I'd grab a Pepe's or Sally's  pie before the show. Nope. I thought they were kidding me. Maybe it was just that day they were all super busy. I'd call ahead and ask what demand is like before you go. Maybe putting in an order a couple days early is the way to go.

Nope.  It's usually busy, especially when there's an event going on.

3 hours ago, UConn James said:

Up here in the northeast of CT, we have our own style with Willington Pizza, which invented the red potato pizza, which has a base of sour cream (when I make my own version at home, I use ricotta), layered with about 1/8”-sliced pre-cooked red potatoes, cheese (I use provolone), and topped with broccoli, bacon crumbles, and some white onion. It won the CBS Morning Show’s award in the mid-90s for the best pizza in the country. They also have a California pizza with sun-dried tomato and artichoke heart topping, and many other classic and some interesting combos, such as the Pickle Pizza.

Usually I make my own at home, as it’s gotten quite expensive. $30 for a large ~16” pie.

Try it with the mini red potatoes and sweet onions.  I had a friend make me one and the sweet onions were soaked in garlic ahead of time in one of those peeled garlic bottles.  

1 hour ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

I haven't tried CT pizza yet, but did try Detroit style recently and thought it was quite good.

Detroit style seems to be all the rage lately.  A ton of places in WNY are now offering it, I haven't tried any yet but I have a few spots on my checklist to try out when I get a chance.  

I worked at Frank Pepes for awhile.  I made pizza, ate it several meals a day for a decade.    So I know all about at least two things in life- pizza and the Bills.  We made every pizza imaginable for house pies- you name it-we already made it.  My Korean pie with eggs guangchang sauce, Asian pear, pork belly , chili pepper, yada yada pizza- that was one of better ones.

Yes, New Haven Pizza is the best in the world!  I liked our coal fire, brick oven 650 degrees.  Pizza the game is crispy bottom, cooking toppings, and melting cheese all at the same time.  The key is the super hot brick oven- that is the essence of New Haven style.

at Pepes we bang the dough thin, no crust.  Sauce or no sauce, sliced mozzarella, add toppings, finish with olive oil and pecorino.

a proper New Haven style pizza is crisp bottom, charred edges, there is a satisfying crunch sound when you bite into it, it’s not dry, it’s delicious.  And the onions are cooked.

Half cooked onions are the worst imo, and what you get at most other pizza joints.

Pepes, Modern, Sals, Bar…amazing pizza found throughout New Haven, especially on Wooster Street.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Just read the article and now I have a much better understanding of New Haven style...and I'm also more intrigued than ever 😄

Think I'm definitely going to add a trip out that way to the bucket list at some point.  I read through some of the comments from the article and one guy mentioned when he travels he goes out of his way to take a longer route home so he can pass through New Haven to get some pizza and he said "Yes it's that f***** serious" LOL.

Thanks for the link

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

Detroit style seems to be all the rage lately.  A ton of places in WNY are now offering it, I haven't tried any yet but I have a few spots on my checklist to try out when I get a chance.  

We had it at Hustler’s Inn in Lewiston. The carmalized cheese on the outside of crust is what makes it so good.

10 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

Just read the article and now I have a much better understanding of New Haven style...and I'm also more intrigued than ever 😄

Think I'm definitely going to add a trip out that way to the bucket list at some point.  I read through some of the comments from the article and one guy mentioned when he travels he goes out of his way to take a longer route home so he can pass through New Haven to get some pizza and he said "Yes it's that f***** serious" LOL.

Thanks for the link

people ask me what my background is.  I say I was a chef 30 years- seafood, fine dining, and pizza.  Where did you make pizza?  I like to respond "google best pizza in America- thats where".  Whrn you google best pizza-googles answer is Frank Pepe's

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

We had it at Hustler’s Inn in Lewiston. The carmalized cheese on the outside of crust is what makes it so good.

That's actually one of the places I want to try.  I have seen pics of their Detroit style and know of someone who gave a good recommendation.  Hoping to make it there sometime over the Summer.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

That's actually one of the places I want to try.  I have seen pics of their Detroit style and know of someone who gave a good recommendation.  Hoping to make it there sometime over the Summer.

If you do, walk across the street afterwards and have some custard from Hibbard’s for dessert.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 7/3/2023 at 10:42 AM, BillsPride12 said:

I've had pizza in NYC, Chicago, Boston, and obviously Buffalo but I always hear CT Pizza is the best.  Is it really that good? What makes it so special??

I'm subscribed to his YouTube channel.  Antonio's pizza reviews.  He is from Staten Island initially but does pizza reviews of places in NYC and New Jersey.  Occasionally he'll go outside the area.  I had to look and he did do one on a pizzeria in Connecticut.  It got a big thumbs up from him

• Thank you (+1) 1

18 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

Detroit pizza I have at least actually heard of! I had no idea CT had “a thing” with pizza. Looks delicious though! I took my mom to a place that bragged about the Chicago deep dish pizza. When we got there we learned it was 45 minutes to an hour to actually get one prepared for you. We had the regular stuff. I used to be able to get deep dish by the slice in FL, and it was amazing! The guy sold the place to someone who ran it into the ground. Very sad! 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.