Allen willing to change

Scott7975

3 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Seems like this article writer lifted the whole quote from the source cited in another thread on this exact topic:

“I’ve always had the mindset of, I’ve been a football player first and a quarterback second,” Allen said about his style of play, via Lorenzo Reyes of USA Today. “At some point that is going to have to switch. When that point is, I don’t know. I guess I’ll let my body tell me.

“It sounds crazy, but I’m getting older. I know I can’t continue to do this. I know when I’m using my youth, I feel like I can, but over the course of my career, I’m going to have to learn to adapt and change.”

""I know this sounds crazy, but I'm getting older," Allen said, via the team's website. "It's like I can't continue to do this. I know when I'm using my youth I feel like I can, but over the course of my career, I'm going to have to learn to adapt and change."

"At the end of the day, it's just being smart with the football, smart with the body, and understanding situational football really better," Allen said. "If there's a third down where we got to get it, I'm going to do whatever it takes to get it. But if it's a second and 10, I got 9 yards to go, no need to put the shoulder down and try it. We can get it on third and 1 with our players and trusting the guys around me. And if not, so be it, we'll put Von Miller back on the field and let him go to work too."

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

Bro, you’re one of the silliest posters in board history.  No one takes you seriously.  ✌️ 

My ego is just fine. I don't need nor look for validation. 

I express my opinions related to the Bills and football. Often, I am not in the majority opinion nor am I correct. If others dislike and or disagree with my posts then so be it. That's the beauty of this forum. 

Have a blessed day no hard feelings on my part dispute the insult.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Patrick Duffy said:

Well, I think there's only so much that can change when it comes to Allen. I mean certain situations he could do a little better like taking what the Defense gives him at times and whatnot.

But he is what he is and will still play his game more often than not I expect. He will still have those plays where he picks ups chunk yards with his legs.

That type of play is not the issue, the issue is taking a hit in stead of getting out of bounds or sliding to avoid said hit at the end of those plays, That’s what his bosses want to see, and that’s is exactly what he needs to wrap his mind around. 

10 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

The point is that lots of folks get excited when Allen runs…but the majority of his runs are simply due to a complete failure in the passing game.

Just surprising to me so many people cheer what is technically a utter breakdown in passing offense.

extension of plays is simply a failure to execute the play design.

if everyone is executing the play as it is designed … you shouldn’t be extending the play.  It’s not madden after all.

the QBs who win the Lombardi (on vast majority) win FROM THE POCKET.  Executing the offense.

This is an unrealistic expectation of Josh.  You want to take away one of the biggest things that makes Josh Allen, Josh Allen and shoehorn him into a Tom Brady type mold.

Steve Young was a very successful QB in this league and didn't sit in the pocket all game either.

• Thank you (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

My ego is just fine. I don't need nor look for validation. 

I express my opinions related to the Bills and football. Often, I am not in the majority opinion nor am I correct. If others dislike and or disagree with my posts then so be it. That's the beauty of this forum. 

Have a blessed day no hard feelings on my part dispute the insult.

☮️ 

1 hour ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

The great QBs with multiple Lombardi trophies know the drill.

maybe one day you will too.

until then…enjoy the pointless scrambles and risk of injuries and fumbles and interceptions and early playoff exits.

And So you want to take the scrambling away from Allen... That is crazy . and if you take 3 steps back and down the ball like you said, that is called Intentional Grounding. Loss of down. You're not going to take the scramble out of JA.. Its stupid talk.. its who JA is to the core... What you do is take away all those planned QB Runs outside a 3rd or fourth and a half a yard..  Josh is a damn good scrambler and you want to take that away?

CLUELESS

7 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

And So you want to take the scrambling away from Allen... That is crazy . and if you take 3 steps back and down the ball like you said, that is called Intentional Grounding. Loss of down. You're not going to take the scramble out of JA.. Its stupid talk.. its who JA is to the core... What you do is take away all those planned QB Runs outside a 3rd or fourth and a half a yard..  Josh is a damn good scrambler and you want to take that away?

CLUELESS

the only time Allen should be running is on those few designed runs.

spiking the ball at the feet of your Blocking RB is not intentional Grounding at all.  It’s the move all Super Bowl Winnibg QBs who know how to fight another day have been doing for decades.

Scrambling is silly and pointless in unnecessary situations.  Just kill the play.  Save your body.  You’ll have plenty of more opportunities to win the game before the clock strikes 00:00.

5 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

spiking the ball at the feet of your Blocking RB is not intentional Grounding at all.  It’s the move all Super Bowl Winnibg QBs who know how to fight another day have been doing for decades.

Scrambling is silly and pointless in unnecessary situations.  Just kill the play.  Save your body.  You’ll have plenty of more opportunities to win the game before the clock strikes 00:00.

it is and you said it... he is not a receiver, he is blocking. he is in the pocket and throw is to the ground behind the line of scrimmage. If it were this easy Every QB would do it. 

Asking a good scrambling QB who throws out of the pocket very well to just do what you do is crazy man.

4 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

it is and you said it... he is not a receiver, he is blocking. he is in the pocket and throw is to the ground behind the line of scrimmage. If it were this easy Every QB would do it. 

Asking a good scrambling QB who throws out of the pocket very well to just do what you do is crazy man.

Brady, Manning, Bree’s, Rivers…etc 

have a killer plays by simply firing it at their running backs feet for decades.  It is never called a penalty.

2 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Brady, Manning, Bree’s, Rivers…etc 

have a killer plays by simply firing it at their running backs feet for decades.  It is never called a penalty.

you just named 4 QB's that were not the best of scramblers like JA. congrats.. and no.. they did not do it like you say

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

You mean like how Burrow did it in the AFCCG that killed a late drive with an intentional grounding? C’mon. I’m one of the biggest Allen critic on here and even I think you can’t take that part of his game away. Why would you? It’s a huge asset for the team. What you’d want is a middle ground. Run and slide. Run out of bounds. Avoid contact until absolutely necessary like in the playoffs. Kind of like the other qb that played in the AFCCG. 

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, boater said:

It's all just one season record. What makes week 14 more meaningful than week 1 or 2?

I’m obviously being facetious - they aren’t but if we’re good enough we won’t need to run any designed runs not counting RPOs. 

Which is another part of this.  We aren’t giving those up.  Do those count as “designed” runs?  I think they do.  But he can absolutely be smarter about the hits he takes and gives.  

Which is why he can almost always slide.  No DB wants to take him on coming at them full speed.  LBs barely do.  

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

You mean like how Burrow did it in the AFCCG that killed a late drive with an intentional grounding? C’mon. I’m one of the biggest Allen critic on here and even I think you can’t take that part of his game away. Why would you? It’s a huge asset for the team. What you’d want is a middle ground. Run and slide. Run out of bounds. Avoid contact until absolutely necessary like in the playoffs. Kind of like the other qb that played in the AFCCG. 

kill the play when it’s not there.  You’ll last longer.

especially kill the play when it’s not a vital point of the game.

not all 3rd downs are created equal.

21 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

you just named 4 QB's that were not the best of scramblers like JA. congrats.. and no.. they did not do it like you say

Brady lasted 20 years.  Because he knew when to kill the play.

just kill it.  No point hurdling a player on 2nd and 10 when you still have 3rd down to pick up a a play.

great for highlights … not smart at all.

3 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

kill the play when it’s not there.  You’ll last longer.

especially kill the play when it’s not a vital point of the game.

not all 3rd downs are created equal.

Brady lasted 20 years.  Because he knew when to kill the play.

just kill it.  No point hurdling a player on 2nd and 10 when you still have 3rd down to pick up a a play.

great for highlights … not smart at all.

man your saying 5 different things. No one asking JA to hurdle people.. THAT IS DIFFERENT.  But just taking 3 steps back and throw it into a blocking RB's FEET.. you can not do that.  I agree about the hurdling... but him not scrambling? that's just crazy talk.  NOW, If you were to tell me he is scrambling and he should throw the ball away before being hit while scrambling? I am game.. but what you said.. "taking a few steps back and throwing it to a blocking RB Feet" Silliness. And yes.. there are times you take the sack when you know you can drop safely (Something JA knows how to do very well)  but to your original statement you made going back 4 replies? That is crazy... and I think you know it lol

4 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

man your saying 5 different things. No one asking JA to hurdle people.. THAT IS DIFFERENT.  But just taking 3 steps back and throw it into a blocking RB's FEET.. you can not do that.  I agree about the hurdling... but him not scrambling? that's just crazy talk.  NOW, If you were to tell me he is scrambling and he should throw the ball away before being hit while scrambling? I am game.. but what you said.. "taking a few steps back and throwing it to a blocking RB Feet" Silliness. And yes.. there are times you take the sack when you know you can drop safely (Something JA knows how to do very well)  but to your original statement you made going back 4 replies? That is crazy... and I think you know it lol

It’s not totally crazy.  Brady made a second career of simply killing plays that weren’t there from the snap.

thd ball would hit his hands…know the play was a bust…and kill it.

no scrambling. No getting hit.  No wild throws that were intercepted or getting sacked and fumbled.

just an immediate fire it into the ground.

and everyone made okay.

the Qb States clean and healthy and the game continued on with many more opportunities to score and win in the remainder of the game.

not every third down as equal you don’t have to risk everything in the first quarter of a scoreless game or the second quarter of the game when you are down by a field goal.

What would need, is to realize the situation that you’re in.  And understand that every play is not “life and death”.

Something our current bills squad for several years has not really shown an understanding of.

Edited by RalphWilson'sNewWar

3 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Agree. Allen has more than proved his body is durable and able to handle the hits when he takes off. Of course, no need to be reckless or take unnecessary risks. However, I tho k Allen does a decent job of protecting himself. He's a big body. 

I want Allen to use his legs. That's one part of his game that makes him dangerous. I don't want to see a pure drop back passer. I still want to see plenty of RPOs. 

You can't play the game scared or timid. Be assertive to aggressive when you play. Let's not limit Allen's toolbox. 

I 100% agree. For me it’s as simple as sliding instead of trying to bulldoze a LB or hurdle a LB. Running out of bounds before the hit instead of him being the aggressor just to gain one or 2 more yards. It’s that kind of stuff we need to limit/reduce drastically.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

It’s not totally crazy.  Brady made a second career of simply killing plays that weren’t there from the snap.

thd ball would hit his hands…know the play was a bust…and kill it.

no scrambling. No getting hit.  No wild throws that were intercepted or getting sacked and fumbled.

just an immediate fire it into the ground.

and everyone made okay.

the Qb States clean and healthy and the game continued on with many more opportunities to score and win in the remainder of the game.

not every third down as equal you don’t have to risk everything in the first quarter of a scoreless game or the second quarter of the game when you are down by a field goal.

What would need, is to realize the situation that you’re in.  And understand that every play is not “life and death”.

Something our current bills squad for several years has not really shown an understanding of.

stop bringing up QB's that were not great scramblers.  you can not compare. I agree with throwing it away and not getting hurt... you go back to your original message and say Josh Allen should not scramble? thats still crazy.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.