RD 3, Pick 91: LB Dorian Williams, Tulane

SDS

41 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Any 3rd rounder should be thought of as 1-2 years down the road. Too many people focusing on his immediate impact.

lets name some of our 3rd rounders that did start right away

Preston Brown  Started

Washington Started 11 first year

Dawkins starter I forgot this was a late second rounder. Prospected to go in third though

H. Phillips starter

Motor Contributed heavy first year

Brown Started the first year 3rd game i think.

Should I continue?

Edited by PrimeTime101

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

The knock on Simpson and Henley were that they aren’t instinctual and struggle reading the play. 

We just dealt with that in Edmunds. 

Williams strength, fwiw, seems to be in his read and react processing.  

I thought one of the weaknesses/areas for improvement was sometimes slow getting to the spot because processing. He can run with TEs but needs to improve processing/recognition.

Hes an interesting player and not a bad pick all things considered. 

• Agree 1

Looks like he excels and tackling when he can get there cleanly. More the reason to beef up our interior D-Line trenches to keep our backers clean.

I love that we still have Jones, but there is quite a drop after him and this "D" clicks when they have that effective big body in the lineup. I like Phillips and Ankou in spot duty on passing downs, but they have been turnstiles on running plays. Also Phillips has a endearing, but reckless way of playing where he often ends up injured.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, WideNine said:

Looks like he excels and tackling when he can get there cleanly. More the reason to beef up our interior D-Line trenches to keep our backers clean.

I love that we still have Jones, but there is quite a drop after him and this "D" clicks when they have that effective big body in the lineup. I like Phillips and Ankou in spot duty on passing downs, but they have been turnstiles on running plays. Also Phillips has a endearing, but reckless way of playing where he often ends up injured.

Yea and just remember, Edmunds did not have the best instincts either, in coverage or hitting the gaps... this guy is much faster to the flats and looks smarter in coverages..

You just never no till he hits the NFL field and how he progresses. 

1 minute ago, frostbitmic said:

Any thoughts on KJ Henry ?

he is an edge. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

lets name some of our 3rd rounders that did start right away

Preston Brown  Started

Washington Started 11 first year

Dawkins starter

H. Phillips starter

Motor Contributed heavy first year

Brown Started the first year 3rd game i think.

Should I continue?

Dawkins was not a 3rd

5 minutes ago, SMAKCruiser said:

Dawkins was not a 3rd

thats right we moved up to get him

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Day 1? Injuries happen. Trying to predict his impact year 1 is foolish.

come on... I named 3 out of the 5 that started day 1 snap one.. the others played game one and started game 2. its a bad narrative bro lol

Much respect though for your work :D 

3 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Milano was listed as 223 during his draft.

The "eye test" says he's packed on a bit of muscle since then.  I would guess 235 now.

So the comparison to Milano is fair :)
But we need a an Actual MLB dont we? 
Dont we ?
 Now i think Bills have a plan as to how they are tweaking the defense under McD.
Either playing more 4-3 looks

and or 

adding a 1 tech so the LBs can just run to the ball or blitz.
Okay by me !

27 minutes ago, WideNine said:

I feel you and I are seeing the Big Picture :)

9 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

LB opposite Milano in nickel

Look at a guy like Nick Bolton on KC. 5'11 235 who played that position at a high level 

I can see that . opposite and or lateral. Interchangeable . Thats what i see in Williams. Its a good thing if used correctly

Thanks JB !

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

At what position ? Serious question

Bills going to a 4-3 ?

I have mentioned that this is a possibility to be the base D.  It seems to me that other teams have figured out how to often beat the constant nickel.

If Taron Johnson's role is diminished there could be a chance he gets moved in the future.  His cap hit for a part time nickel could be questioned.

With the Safeties and LBs on the team it is a logical assumption something may be changing in the base D.

I'm patient enough to wait to see what happens with these players and their roles.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I have mentioned that this is a possibility to be the base D.  It seems to me that other teams have figured out how to often beat the constant nickel.

If Taron Johnson's role is diminished there could be a chance he gets moved in the future.  His cap hit for a part time nickel could be questioned.

With the Safeties and LBs on the team it is a logical assumption something may be changing in the base D.

I'm patient enough to wait to see what happens with these players and their roles.

and I agreed with you !
Base d needs a new look.

Taron was over used last season. he is a fantastic nickel back asked to punch above his weight. Asking him to do too much in defensive sets vs.
Not thinking about moving him off the team.

But definitely thinking about employing 3 LBs or another Box (lb) safety hybrid on some downs !

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

and I agreed with you !
Base d needs a new look.

Taron was over used last season. he is a fantastic nickel back asked to punch above his weight. Asking him to do too much in defensive sets vs.
Not thinking about moving him off the team.

But definitely thinking about employing 3 LBs or another Box (lb) safety hybrid on some downs !

Definitely not thinking that this season.  

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

So the comparison to Milano is fair :)
But we need a an Actual MLB dont we? 
Dont we ?

Who is an "actual MLB"? 

I made a post listing the top-10 compensated ILBs by AAV.  According to the "efficient market" theory, the idea is top compensation tracks with how the NFL values these players, since no team is gonna queue up to pay an ILB the "big bucks".

I listed their heights, weights, draft position, and draft grade by NFL.com.

The finding was that 6'1" was within the average height of 6'2" +/- 2", which includes Tremaine Edmunds at 6'5" skewing it high.

His weight was a little light - 228 vs average 235 (again including Tremaine Edmunds at 253 almost 20 lbs heavier than anyone else)

7 lbs of muscle gain doesn't seem outrageous in the NFL

So....what do YOU define as an "Actual MLB" in the NFL, and what would be his characteristics?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Who is an "actual MLB"? 

I made a post listing the top-10 compensated ILBs by AAV.  According to the "efficient market" theory, the idea is top compensation tracks with how the NFL values these players, since no team is gonna queue up to pay an ILB the "big bucks".

The finding was that 6'1" was within the average height of 6'2" +/- 2", which includes Tremaine Edmunds at 6'5" skewing it high.

His weight was a little light - 228 vs average 235 (again including Tremaine Edmunds at 253 almost 20 lbs heavier than anyone else)

So....what do YOU define as an "Actual MLB" in the NFL, and what would be his characteristics?

I did not define my sarcasm well enough !

before the draft I felt we needed a downhill LB who had the instincts to hit the correct gap , shed Linemen and blow up the running game

Now i do not feel that. Thinking McBeane is tweaking in another direction

Let the LBs read and react. speed and smarts to cover laterally and drop into zones. Bring the blitz inside and out.

Cover RBs in the flat and good in RO defenses

sorry for being a smart aleck !

1 hour ago, PrimeTime101 said:

thats right we moved up to get him

come on... I named 3 out of the 5 that started day 1 snap one.. the others played game one and started game 2. its a bad narrative bro lol

Much respect though for your work :D 

No you didn’t. 

And even if 50% started year one it shouldn’t even be the dominant discussion. If your drafting for instant starters at pick 91 the your roster is terrible.

Any mid-late round player can possibly start day 1, it’s not the plan, especially for Super Bowl contenders.

14 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Who is an "actual MLB"? 

There's very few MLB's in the NFL that play in the 240's. 

The majority are in the 230's. And there's several in the 220's. 

Dorian Williams size is more the norm in today's NFL than the old school Ray Lewis prototype. 

He's length is also disproportionate. His hand size, arm size and wing span  are that of a 6'5" -6'6" player.

• Like (+1) 5

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.